PDA

View Full Version : Terry admitted Friday morning....

ducks
05-20-2006, 05:03 PM
DALLAS -- Despite protests and explanations to the contrary, Mavericks guard Jason Terry did punch San Antonio guard Michael Finley in the final few moments of Game 5.

Video confirmed it. And Terry did, too.

Seeing several of the countless replays of the short jab to Finley's groin, Terry admitted Friday morning: "I really did get him a little bit. I didn't know to what extent."

It was enough for the NBA to suspend Terry for Friday night's Game 6 of the Western Conference semifinals at American Airlines Center.

The incident occurred with 3.4 seconds left in the Spurs' 98-97 win Wednesday in San Antonio. After a scramble for the ball at midcourt, Terry hit Finley with a closed fist as players were being separated.

League rules state a punch, whether it connects or not, warrants an automatic one-game suspension. A league spokesman added Friday that Terry's previous suspensions for similar actions didn't factor into the suspension. As a member of the Atlanta Hawks, Terry was suspended twice for throwing a punch and once for throwing an elbow.

"I'm very disappointed, but there is always a punishment for your actions," said Terry, averaging 18.2 points in the series. "It happened so quick. My reaction caused me to miss Game 6, but I've got confidence in my teammates."

Jerry Stackhouse started in Terry's place Friday alongside Devin Harris in the backcourt. Adrian Griffin, Marquis Daniels and Darrell Armstrong also had increased roles.

Terry called the league's actions "inconsistent" with previous rulings. Mavs coach Avery Johnson and owner Mark Cuban each alluded to Denver forward Reggie Evans earning just a fine for grabbing Los Angeles Clippers center Chris Kaman in the first round.

"It's just an unfortunate situation," Johnson said. "I guess if he would have grabbed him, he wouldn't have gotten suspended. You grab, you don't get suspended. But the rule is clear: You punch, you get suspended. So next time, grab."

Though the Mavs fully support their suspended teammate, they weren't buying the argument that Terry's response was understandable considering the physical nature of the series.

"Not really," Adrian Griffin said. "It's the playoffs. Emotions are very high. Jet hadn't done anything like that since I've been on the team. It's just emotions and playing hard."

Said Josh Howard: "This game is full of bumps and bruises, but that incident right there is something that happened. That was a guy being real competitive and didn't want to lose. Things happen, and now you have to put it past you."

ashbeeigh
05-20-2006, 05:53 PM
It is what it is huh?

RON ARTEST
05-20-2006, 05:55 PM
im glad he did that. whats cuban gonna say now?terry was drunk when he admitted it?