PDA

View Full Version : For us Spurs Fans: Have you ever felt more nerve-wracked?

flipcritic
05-20-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm currently in Malaysia where nobody could give a flying f*** about basketball (God bless cable). And I swear I must have been the nosiest guy in the (apartment) building.

I was relatively calm for the first quarter. But when Dallas kept on extending its lead, every play from there on was a scream, a pounding on the couch, or a toss of a plastic bottle.

I can't remember a game where I was so emotionally spent afterwards. I told my wife not to watch with me as she could get unwarranted blame. In the final quarter I was basically on all fours in front of the TV (imagine a big cat ready to pounce) and howled in ecstacy with every Spur make (especially when Parker FINALLY made a shot!).

I was so tired after the game that I slept for the next three hours. How bout you guys?

Sportman
05-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Well something similar happened to me, i was watching the game in my country Argentine, and i have to admitt it was a terrible game, i just hope that spurs can pass this series, thatīs it.

rwb
05-20-2006, 09:50 PM
One thing that works for me is that I usually have to tape the games. If I know ahead of time the Spurs are going to pull it out at the end it's much easier on my heart :lol

Old School Chic
05-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Paxil

picnroll
05-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Restraints and electroshock

Winnipeg_Spur
05-20-2006, 10:01 PM
I enjoy beating the hell out of my couch too. If it wasn't for that I probably would've broken a bunch of stuff watching games. :)

whottt
05-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Honestly? The fact that the Spurs have won so many titles and been so successful...it's not as intense as it used to be. I mean...what, if they don't win this year they are chokers or heartless or something? They already answered that question.

99 was stunning, nerve wracking, even against the lightweight Knicks...finally realizing that the Spurs were about to make good and there wouldn't be a big disappointment this time around. And nothing beat ending the Evil Laker empire in 2003...and watching Drob call it a career on his own home court in the final game of the NBA finals with, "We are the champions" blaring in the background.

Honestly, there is never going to be a better sports moment for me than watching game 6 and Drob going out a champion like that. It was such a classic sports moment for me, and I think it would have been for many sports fans in general if Drob hadn't been so under-rated and overlooked during his career. Watching the nice guy go out at the absolute top...and that is one moment that I will remember vividly for the rest of my life.

This is a great series, but to me it's just not as intense because the Spurs have won so much in recent years...

Spurs Dynasty
05-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Copius amounts of alcohol works for me... before , during and after. And yes, this series has me in knots !

jman3000
05-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Last June was as nerve wracking as it gets...

Spurs Dynasty
05-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Restraints and electroshock

That is only on date-night for me :lol :lol

Kong
05-20-2006, 10:55 PM
The last time I go upset over any professional game was Super Bowl V. After that, I realized it was just a game.

Two years later, when Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's career home run record, I realized no record would stand forever.

timvp
05-20-2006, 11:08 PM
This is an exhausting series, no doubt. It's tough to compare to any other series in Spurs history. The Finals series was similar and probably even more exhausting because it was the end of the road.

If the Spurs win on Monday, it'd be the best non-Finals series win since the Lakers series in 2003. If the Spurs lose it, it'd be pretty devastating because of how hard they had to work to force the Game 7. I think if you mix in the debacles that were games 3 and 4, it'd actually be worse than the .4 series.

J.T.
05-20-2006, 11:19 PM
As a fan the most nail biting, nerve wrecking Spurs game ever was Game 7 of the Finals. I was sitting behind the basket in Club 200 and was nervous the entire game until Bruce blocked Chauncey at the end of the game. Seriously, the entire season for both teams came down to 12 minutes. It came down to who could play the best quarter. I think I was shaking the entire game, but the worst during the 4th.

This series is crazy no doubt. It shows how great both teams are that only one game was won by more than 5 points. The nerves have been comparable to Game 7, but I still say Game 7 trumps this. One of the best playoff series in NBA history.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Game 5 of last year was crazy also....And Game 7...Then Tim went off in the 3rd like a beast...Then Manu finished it in the 4th....I don't know which one was more satisfying...
besides the obviousness of Game 7..Game 5 was pivotal.

This series has been CCCrrrAAzzY...

Let's hope Spurs finish on top on Monday. BELIEVE!
(and for our hearts sake, at least by a margin of 10 or more points than the Mavs this time, 20 pt Blow out perhaps?--I think 4 tight games is sufficient enough)

boutons_
05-21-2006, 12:17 AM
When Tim sat in the 2nd qtr with 3 PF, with Robert trying to hold the fort, Tony being cold, Spurs playing like dogshit, I had a horrible half-time. "depressive"!

"manic"!! was back after the Spurs run to start the 3rd, tied, we had a brand new ballgame, also comforted by the cold shooting of the Mavs.

Imagining how one-play, one-shot, one-bounce, one-TO, one-foul, one-putback close all the games had been, 2nd half was a nail-biter. A couple more Coors Light saw me thru to the end. :)

It took me quite a while AFTER the game for the realization of the W@AAA to sink in. Waking up Sunday morning in Salinas, CA, I still had to convince myself that we really had done it!

Go Spurs Go

snowboarder
05-21-2006, 12:18 AM
I broke my moms coffee table.. picked it up and threw it when dirk hit a fadeaway
Anger can do things you'd never think of :nope

dbreiden83080
05-21-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm currently in Malaysia where nobody could give a flying f*** about basketball (God bless cable). And I swear I must have been the nosiest guy in the (apartment) building.

I was relatively calm for the first quarter. But when Dallas kept on extending its lead, every play from there on was a scream, a pounding on the couch, or a toss of a plastic bottle.

I can't remember a game where I was so emotionally spent afterwards. I told my wife not to watch with me as she could get unwarranted blame. In the final quarter I was basically on all fours in front of the TV (imagine a big cat ready to pounce) and howled in ecstacy with every Spur make (especially when Parker FINALLY made a shot!).

I was so tired after the game that I slept for the next three hours. How bout you guys?

I am always a nervous wreck before any big spurs game and not just postseason. Hell i seem to make a big deal out of a november game in Atlanta. Come playoff time i drive anyone who is watching with me nuts because i can not sit down i am just up pacing and casually sipping my beer, i usually average 2 bruskies a quarter. My heart was pounding so hard it was crazy the last 2 minutes of this game i feel your pain and i am at least as crazy as you are during the game.

Beaverfuzz
05-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Game 7 vs Portland in Robinson's rookie year was the most nerve-racking for me. Parents had season tickets for Portland I grew up watching the Blazers, but jumped along the Spurs bandwagon in the 80's with Gervin. So I was torn between rooting on San Antonio to the WC Finals or watching Portland (LIVE) make it back to the WC Finals (and eventual finals vs Detroit).

That whole series had drama and emotions all wrapped into one, from Duckworth returning for game seven, to Strickland seeing into the future and passing to eventual teammate Jerome Kersey who fed Drexler for the dunk and the foul on Robinson which was his sixth.

I was three years old in 1977, and was at the game where Portland won the championship against the Dr, but that couple of minutes between Strickland's pass and the coming out of the time out was the loudest I'd ever heard the Memorial Coliseum. Both the Spurs and Blazers had the talent to win back then, and I still think that was San Antonio's best team until 1999.

This game seven....I'm not even the least bit worried. Dallas had their chance and blew it, this is a repeat of Phoenix and the Lakers from earlier in this year's playoffs.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-21-2006, 01:01 AM
This game seven....I'm not even the least bit worried. Dallas had their chance and blew it, this is a repeat of Phoenix and the Lakers from earlier in this year's playoffs.

Though I don't agree with this assumption (even if I still believe the Spurs will be able close it out on top on Monday) because that Phoenix and Lakers series is done, ours is not yet. I will give you that the Mavs sounded pretty defeated yesterday from the post-game conf. with Dirk and Coach AJ. They probably had that "game 6 kill them, or expect a risk elimination" mindset, they might have gotten ahead of themselves...

Hopefully it's to our advantage that they're a little tighter on Monday, and a bit defeated--but I doubt they will be with Terry back in the line-up. Dallas still has a chance, as a fan I hope they don't realize it...but Spurs are probably not gonna expect anything less from the Mavs for game 7.

LilMissSPURfect
05-21-2006, 01:16 AM
this series has been so bad for me....i told my husband that we needed to move to AUSTIN and get the SPURS outta of us or something to relieve some of these stress knots.........

The PAIN...THE JOY !!!! WIN OR LOSE>>>>>>DAM IT>>>>>>> I GOTTA KEEP DOIN it!!!!

ITS MY PREFERRED DRUG OF CHOICE!!!!!!
:drunk :smokin :stirpot:

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

CubanMustGo
05-21-2006, 01:20 AM
The most nerve-wracking for me was the game 7 loss to the Bullets in the EC finals in 1978. That was the series WE led 3-1 and managed to lose.

TonyC
05-21-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm the same way guys..just rooting for the other team. My apartment complex must think theres a bloody murder happening in my apartment every game night during this series. This has been great....I hate to admit it.

DDS4
05-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Game 7 of last year's NBA Finals was worse for me. Ever since then, I've calmed down tremendously.