PDA

View Full Version : World Trade Center

SA210
05-20-2006, 09:40 PM
With Nicholas Cage and Michael Pena from "Crash".
Directed by Oliver Stone.
I'm gonna watch it.

What do you guys think?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/wtc/large.html

KEDA
05-20-2006, 09:45 PM
its an Oliver Stone film, Im a big fan of his work, Ill go see it!

AmericanPsycho
05-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Looks good.

T Park
05-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Looks good.

Hopefully all americans watch it, and it reminds them of the horror of that day, and stop forgetting and being totally oblivious.

MannyIsGod
05-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Oliver Stone doesn't need to touch that event. Any fucking director but him.

CosmicCowboy
05-21-2006, 12:58 AM
Oliver Stone doesn't need to touch that event. Any fucking director but him.

no shit. He will have Bush flying the plane and we will have to make hundreds of posts trying to convince NBADan it was just an Oliver Stone movie.

ZStomp
05-21-2006, 01:14 AM
I am so interested in this tragic day.
I will watch.

Sonia_TX
05-21-2006, 01:15 AM
I will probably go watch it since I saw United 93. The preview looks good.

MannyIsGod
05-21-2006, 01:23 AM
no shit. He will have Bush flying the plane and we will have to make hundreds of posts trying to convince NBADan it was just an Oliver Stone movie.'

Yeah, this is going to be bad. I hate the idea of Stone touching that day.

SA210
05-21-2006, 01:34 AM
Looks good.

Hopefully all americans watch it, and it reminds them of the horror of that day, and stop forgetting and being totally oblivious.

Looks very interesting. It doesn't have all those fast and shaky cuts that Oliver Stone sometimes uses. It actually looks very interesting to me.

Can't wait for it to come out.

SA Gunslinger
05-21-2006, 02:22 AM
Yeah, I love Oliver but I'm kinda of pissed to find out that he manipulated facts and evidence in JFK to project his own version of history.

But Salvador, Wallstreet, Heaven and Earth, and Born on the 4th of July are still among my favorite films.

T Park
05-21-2006, 02:25 AM
he manipulated facts and evidence in JFK to project his own version of history

you mean a white haired gay tommy lee jones didnt conspire to kill him?

DAMN THAT STONE!!!!

MaNuMaNiAc
05-21-2006, 02:42 AM
I would think the movie would feel a little contrived you know? like its trying too hard to make people remember about something that was never forgotten in the first place, specially since the aftermath of that event is being felt around the world as we speak. IMO I think this movie is 4 or 5 years too soon.

Mark my words, this movie will fail to do justice to 9-11.

P.S. and I agree with Manny on this one, Stone is definately not the ideal director for a movie like this.

SA Gunslinger
05-21-2006, 02:47 AM
I just saw the trailer of the film. If he shoots the picture like he did Wallstreet, then it could be a good film. The trailer is extremely emotional.

MannyIsGod
05-21-2006, 05:03 AM
Yeah, this isn't United 93 to me. That movie was different. It was about something that we all knew about, but didn't KNOW about. I felt it was an apropriate movie, especially considering the low budget and way the film was shot.

This however, I dont know. I don't like it one bit.

Slomo
05-21-2006, 07:18 AM
As a foreigner it's extremely diffilcult to express your opinion about the 9/11 tragedy without stirring up emotions in Americans.

But I'm going to try anyway :)

I think any movie about such an emotional event should not be made before a much longer historical distance. I think that there isn't a person alive who could do a good job of directing this film. By letting his/hers emotion influence the directing they're bound to offend somebody that has been touched by it (this is a feature film with actors and a dramatic plot we're talking about - it's not a documentary).
The second reason is that it's way too soon to be able to understand or even phatom the consequences and ramification of the attack. All we can tell right now is that it has deeply changed the world, but anything else is speculation or if you wish fiction. And I wouldn't introduce fiction in a movie about 9/11 this early after it happened.

Think for a moment what the reactions to "Titanic" would have been if it was shown 5 years after it sank (The first dramatic adaptation of the Titanic's tragedy was made 17 years later - and even that doesn't seem long enough).

And I won't even go into speculations where the profits of this movie are going...

spurschick
05-21-2006, 08:08 AM
The part in the trailer where you can see the lobby starting to crumble is just plain freaky.

KEDA
05-21-2006, 09:37 AM
The part in the trailer where you can see the lobby starting to crumble is just plain freaky.

I think that is why I want to see it

for things like that, I realize that Stone is probably going to put his own twist on things. But I want to see it from a different perspective. I watched from the helpless guy sitting in Bulverde version, but I want to see it in a different view. I will never forget that day, and what it meant to me. Hopefully others will see it for the tragedy that occured and what it meant to them.

1Parker1
05-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Agree with Slomo. 4 years later is too soon to make a film about one of the biggest events in American history.

BTW, I can't believe no one else has said anything about the absolutely heinous acting job that's done by Nichloas Cage based off the previews alone! No one else thought this?! :wtf

SA210
05-21-2006, 10:39 AM
What? Nicholas Cage looks like he'll be great in it.

1Parker1
05-21-2006, 01:46 PM
What? Nicholas Cage looks like he'll be great in it.

He's acting in the preview along looked horrible!!!

Nicholas Cage is over-rated and I don't think he was the best choice for this role.

Horry For 3!
05-21-2006, 02:35 PM
I will probably go watch it since I saw United 93. The preview looks good.
My family might watch this movie and United 93.

T Park
05-21-2006, 05:01 PM
IMO I think this movie is 4 or 5 years too soon.

this movie should be kept on shown.

People HAVE forgotten. But one in argentina wouldn't know that.

years later is too soon to make a film about one of the biggest events in American history

once again, you guys are all washed up.

Too soon?

WTF, people have totally forgotten 9/11

everyone is fat dumb happy and bithching about shit we take for granted again.

Jekka
05-21-2006, 05:14 PM

Too soon?

I haven't forgotten 9/11, if for no other reason than the "war on terror" that has followed it.

You can't make a movie about 9/11 this soon - I agree with Slomo, we can't even fathom what the longterm reprocussions of 9/11 are.

"Feel better with Oliver Stone 'til I almost smacked him, seemed right that night." - Tori Amos

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-21-2006, 05:17 PM

Too soon?

I'm not arguing with you, I'm asking: Have people really forgotten? I can't believe it! I mean, people all over the world haven't forgotten.

KEDA
05-21-2006, 05:18 PM
"Feel better with Oliver Stone 'til I almost smacked him, seemed right that night." - Tori Amos

nice quote!

I need to check out this Tori Amos person, I like her already!

but Billy Madison is on right now, so Ill do it later!

PM5K
05-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Interesting how people can all see situations differently.

I think this movie is a great way to pay tribute to the heroes of September 11, and their courage and spirit can serve to motivate and inspire Americans.

Billy Cobham
05-21-2006, 05:28 PM

Too soon?

I disagree with you TPark. I'm reminded of 9/11 every time I go to the airport. Some people may not have as vigilant an attitude as you have regarding terrorism, but that hardly means they have forgotten about 9/11.

1Parker1
05-21-2006, 06:01 PM
I disagree with you TPark. I'm reminded of 9/11 every time I go to the airport. Some people may not have as vigilant an attitude as you have regarding terrorism, but that hardly means they have forgotten about 9/11.

:tu Exactly, just because we don't constantly see it on the news doesn't mean people have forgotten about it. And like Jekka pointed out...we won't even know the full repurcusions of the affect it will have on America until years later. We're still fighting the War on Terror and the film seems to have come out a little premature.

Plus, I personally would be a little insulted if I had lost someone that day, to see so many commerical Hollywood films being made on it.

T Park
05-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Have people really forgotten? I can't believe it! I mean, people all over the world haven't forgotten.

Not everyone, but there are people that have.

The assholes suggesting that it was a missle flying into the pentagon and not a plane for example.

T Park
05-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Some people may not have as vigilant an attitude as you have regarding terrorism, but that hardly means they have forgotten about 9/11.

:lol

if they aren't vigilant about terrorism, THEN THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN 9/11!!!

It ties together!!!

1Parker1
05-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Not everyone, but there are people that have.

The assholes suggesting that it was a missle flying into the pentagon and not a plane for example.

How is that forgetting it? That's just controversy...

T Park
05-21-2006, 06:15 PM
lol

too soon...

Unreal.

T Park
05-21-2006, 06:16 PM
how is that forgetting

your kidding me...

People actually SUGGESTING such nonsense, means they have forgotten.

1Parker1
05-21-2006, 06:18 PM
your kidding me...

People actually SUGGESTING such nonsense, means they have forgotten.

:wtf Sorry, I just don't follow the logic in that...

exstatic
05-21-2006, 06:20 PM
If you want to see a good movie about the WTC, watch that documentary by those French brothers that were originally documenting one of the fire companies, and actually got caught up in the events of the day.

This Stone thing will almost certainly be a POS.

spurschick
05-21-2006, 06:31 PM
I don't see this as a movie about the entire day any more than I see Flight 93 that way. This is a movie about the two policemen that were the last to be rescued. Granted, we will be seeing the days events unfolding through the eyes of them and their families, but I can't see that any movie will ever be made that will grasp the enormity of that day's events. I think that only a documentary will ever give us a glimpse, and it will only be a glimpse unless you were physically there.

Vashner
05-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Flight 93 was done much more with the people involved. Such as the real ATC director, real ATC controllers, unknown actors and co-ordination with the relatives of the flight.

But this movie should get a fair shot. He say's it's not political so let's see if it tells a true first responder story.

MannyIsGod
05-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Forgotten? Are you nuts? Who here doesn't still get teary eyed when you watch something ont eh subject that goes in depth.

No one has forgotten. I wonder where the profits will go. Is Stone just lining his pockets or is he making sizeable donations? I'm sure there will be at least token donations, but this shoudln't be a subject you can make money on without some public backlash.

Oliver Stone is a horrible director for this subject. It just doesn't make any damn sense to me. The guy doesn't get the gravity of the way events take on a personal nature with people and views them in far too an abstract way.

If you guys want to see special effects of a building falling, go rent Independence Day. I won't spend any money on this crap.

Vashner
05-21-2006, 06:52 PM
It's almost too easy to post something and go off topic of the movie.

SA210
05-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Micheal Pena is a really good actor. Since "Crash", he's gotten some good roles.

Slomo
05-22-2006, 10:08 AM
It's almost too easy to post something and go off topic of the movie.
You're right and that and TPark's reaction illustrate quite well the point I was trying to make.

TPark I honestly do not believe that people have forgotten (and I can't help thnking that we're better off we those few who have). I'm not American, and I don't live in America - and hardly a day goes by that we are not reminded of that day.

You may not believe it and I'm sure FOX would love it to be untrue - but we have been influenced by 9/11 a lot (actually it's influence is not really showing signs of weakening). I also think that the US have been influenced (shaken, traumatized, touched.... please pick your word they all apply) by it stronger and more deeply than we have.

Why I think your reaction is a good illustration is because it's rash, emotional and pretty much disreguards the feelings of people who do not agree a 100% with you. It's not a bad thing, it's just that everybody will react in the same way - whether they agree with you or not.

And now we have a commecial endeavour which will try to make a profit using that event as its backdrop. It's too soon. It will offend people. It will create more hurt. And it will do those things for profit and profit alone.

SC I kinda agree with your approach to the movie - I have just one problem with it. The filmakers could have explored the situation of the two trapped heroes just as well by putting them in a collapsed mine shaft or similar (I'm oversimplifying I know - but you get my point) so why the WTC on 9/11? - could it be because of a better box office result?

Vashner
05-22-2006, 12:25 PM
I wonder what SunTzu would of thought about 911.

Some of his points from the Art of War

------------------------------------------
VI. WEAK POINTS AND STRONG

1. Whoever is first in the field and
awaits the coming of the enemy, will be fresh for the fight;
whoever is second in the field and has to hasten to battle
will arrive exhausted.
Hum well it sounds good but it burned the Japanese and now it's burning Radical islam.
8. Hence that general is skillful in attack whose
opponent does not know what to defend; and he is skillful
in defense whose opponent does not know what to attack.
All our Anti Air systems and non where positioned properly.
9. O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you
we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible;
and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands.
They left no real country for us to attack. Yet radical islam has many protected sanctuaries to recharge there forces.
10. You may advance and be absolutely irresistible,
if you make for the enemy's weak points; you may retire
and be safe from pursuit if your movements are more rapid
than those of the enemy.
They like to attack the weak points.. bunch of BEEPies.
11. If we wish to fight, the enemy can be forced
to an engagement even though he be sheltered behind a high
rampart and a deep ditch. All we need do is attack
some other place that he will be obliged to relieve.
WTC fires where impossible to put out and defend against.
22. Though the enemy be stronger in numbers, we may
prevent him from fighting. Scheme so as to discover
his plans and the likelihood of their success.
Create infighting with lefties and right wing nutjobs. Listen to CNN and Al Jizerra to get combat intelligence and plans.
26. How victory may be produced for them out of the enemy's
own tactics--that is what the multitude cannot comprehend
Using our Laws and rules against us I.E. GITMO / Abu G

johnsmith
05-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this Vashner fella should get off his soap box? He's always chiming in as if he's the "voice of reason".

MaNuMaNiAc
05-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this Vashner fella should get off his soap box? He's always chiming in as if he's the "voice of reason".
you're not alone http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

JoeChalupa
05-22-2006, 04:16 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this..but Vashner has some good posts...granted, they are from a soapbox..but good none the less.

SA210
05-23-2006, 08:48 AM
^^^ unless it's in the political forum :lol