PDA

View Full Version : More Propaganda Presented as News

Nbadan
10-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Why does the Bush administration have contempt for federal law?

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration has promoted its education law with a video that comes across as a news story but fails to make clear the reporter involved was paid with taxpayer money.

The government used a similar approach this year in promoting the new Medicare law and drew a rebuke from the investigative arm of Congress, which found the videos amounted to propaganda in violation of federal law.
Those are the same features — including the voice of Karen Ryan — that were prominent in videos the Health and Human Services (news - web sites) Department used to promote the Medicare law and were judged covert propaganda by the Government Accountability Office in May.

The Education Department's video uses "the same exact mode of operation," said Nancy Keenan, education policy director at People for the American Way. The video encourages students to take advantage of tutoring and says that families give the idea an "A-plus."
Government press offices play a key role in sharing information and pitching story ideas, but sending out videos featuring "pretend" news reports is wrong, said Al Tompkins, who teaches broadcast reporting at the Poynter Institute, a school for journalists.

"Let the alert be loud and clear: Don't use this stuff," Tompkins said.

Yahoo (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&ncid=703&e=4&u=/ap/20041010/ap_on_el_pr/school_ads)

Marcus Bryant
10-11-2004, 02:30 PM
More Propaganda Presented as News

You should use this as the subject for all threads you start from here on.

Nbadan
10-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Seems like the bush administration has a lock on this method of deception.

Yonivore
10-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Actually, this conversation was had during the 2000 election cycle...

These types of commercials have a name...I just can't recall what they are. But, they have been effectively used by many campaigns including the Gore and Clinton campaigns of yore.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Yes, only Kerry associated propaganda should be presented as news.[/liberal]

Spurminator
10-11-2004, 04:21 PM
They are Video News Releases, basically live action versions of Press Releases. They are nothing new, and it's a laughable stretch (though not a surprise) that people would suddenly paint them as misleading now that the medium is being utilized by a Republican administration.

Companies often produce them and send them to network to run on the news in case of a slow news day. You will often find them aired in smaller markets, especially on Saturdays, where there is less local news to report, and the 30 minutes must be filled in another way. Next you'll tell us that advertising is misleading because it promotes certain products as superior to competitors when that may not necessarily be the case.

Nbadan
10-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey Sperminator, did you even bother to read the article?

The government used a similar approach this year in promoting the new Medicare law and drew a rebuke from the investigative arm of Congress, which found the videos amounted to propaganda in violation of federal law.

Spurminator
10-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Hey Sperminator, did you even bother to read the article?

And who, pray tell, makes up that investigative arm? I'd be particularly interested in their party affiliation.

I'd have to see the VNR to make a completely educated judgement on the subject, but as long as it's informative (and not persuasive) in nature, it looks to me like more partisan bitching.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Well Spurm,

The Comptroller General heads up the GAO, so I would assume has some pull as to the direction of its work.

The current CG was appointed by Clinton in '98 and has a 15 year term (so is free from worry as to being replaced).