PDA

View Full Version : Strengths of the Mavs

Mavs<Spurs
05-21-2006, 02:37 AM
If somebody already did this, I apologize.

However, I thought that we could discuss strengths of the Mavs.

While I don't like the Mavs (because of Terry, Stackhouse, Howard and Cuban and because of negative experiences with some of the posters who are Mavs fans), the truth is that the Mavs have a great team. That is very painful for me to say.

I am starting this thread with the hope and the request that we use this thread to recognize the strengths of the Mavs. So, I am asking for people to be sincere (ie not to insult them by being facetious) please.

First off, I have to admit that their defense has improved. I know that they are allowing us to shoot a high field goal percentage this series, but that is true of us as well. Diop and Dampier do offer resistance in the paint. This was not the case before.

Second, their shot selection has improved markedly. They (esp Dirk) don't shoot nearly as many 3s as they used to. Since Dirk is one of the best 3 point shooters in the league, this means that they made a major conscious effort to reduce the amount of 3s they take and when they take them. This helps their defense as Kenny Smith is at pains to point out. Their court balance is better.

Third and this is related to my second thought: they drive a lot more to the rim. Josh Howard and Jason Terry in particular are good at getting to the rim.

Fourth, they have assembled a lot of young, athletic, talented guards and small forwards. Josh Howard and Jason Terry in particular have a lot of talent. Devin Harris and Marquis Daniels have a bright future in the NBA.
This means that the Mavericks will be good for a long time.

Fifth, they present match up problems for most of the league and for us in particular.

any comments, thoughts.... ? Mavs fans this is a thread showing respect for your team and why you think that your team is so good.

DDS4
05-21-2006, 02:43 AM
I remember Dirk having a reputation of disappearing in the playoffs.

I think he blew that bad rap out the door.

Mavs<Spurs
05-21-2006, 02:56 AM

great point. He's played awesome this series, even with Bowen who normally can slow him down some and makes him work hard for everything he gets.

RON ARTEST
05-21-2006, 03:42 AM

no he hasnt. he scored two fucking points in the fourth quarter and looked very scared to shoot the ball. in my mind his reputation of disappearing is right.

pking
05-21-2006, 03:47 AM

After his crummy first round against the rockets last year, for some reason everybody started in with this whole "Dirk always declines in the post season" thing. However, if you look at his stats until that series, his numbers in the playoffs had gone up from the regular season every year.

Dirk's always been on point in the post season until last year. This year, he's been pretty damn good.

Dirk41MVP
05-21-2006, 07:19 PM
no he hasnt. he scored two fucking points in the fourth quarter and looked very scared to shoot the ball. in my mind his reputation of disappearing is right.

His teammates didnt do shit, devin and brickhouse were terrible, everytime dirk got the ball, he was doubled and his teammates didn't do sh!t to help him any. I want to see duncan win a game by himself against the mavericks, with virtualy no help from his teammates like dirk had on game 6

And actually excluding last year's series against the rockets, dirk always raises his numbers in the PO's. I think his PO averages are 25 or 26 points and 11 boards. Thats not too shavy if you ask me... it's a myth that dirk chokes in the PO's, you can look up his numbers to back it up.

CosmicCowboy
05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Dirks a freak. He's an MVP quality seven footer who essentially plays small forward. Awful matchup for virtually every team in the league. Avery's done a good job of getting everyone to buy into playing defense and they have a lot of good young talent. Do they have the poise to win an elimination game this year when the air gets thin and nuts start to shrivel? I don't think they are ready yet. But the time will come when they will be. Unless Cuban starts trying to play GM and shuffle the deck after the loss tomorrow they should be a very good team for years to come.

Future41534
05-21-2006, 07:39 PM
26 points 21 rebounds is a choke?Then I guess he chokes every game.

SpursIndonesia
05-22-2006, 06:34 AM
The Spurs just need to get 1-2 tall, long, athletic swingmen to groom, and they'll be allright in the medium future :) -Assuming Mahinmi develops quite well.

NoMoneyDown
05-22-2006, 07:10 AM
His teammates didnt do shit, devin and brickhouse were terrible, everytime dirk got the ball, he was doubled and his teammates didn't do sh!t to help him any. I want to see duncan win a game by himself against the mavericks, with virtualy no help from his teammates like dirk had on game 6

And actually excluding last year's series against the rockets, dirk always raises his numbers in the PO's. I think his PO averages are 25 or 26 points and 11 boards. Thats not too shavy if you ask me... it's a myth that dirk chokes in the PO's, you can look up his numbers to back it up.

This is why I like a variety of fans from other teams - for their different look on things. I hadn't noticed this, but you're right.