PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: NBA Top Ten Game Sevens

whottt
05-21-2006, 03:07 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2006/columns/story?columnist=shouler_ken&id=2452524

Game 7. Three of these anxiety-inducers are being served up in the next two days. It leads us to wonder: Which Game 7 tilts stand above the rest? Here's my Top 10 -- a mix of earlier rounds and finals -- in NBA history. The best games include drama (read: no one-sided contests), with the result hanging in the balance right to the end. If great individual performances are tossed in, that's a bonus.

When it comes to seventh games, there is still one standard bearer and it occurred 49 years ago.

1. St. Louis at Boston, NBA Finals, April 13, 1957
It took two overtimes before the Celtics prevailed over the Hawks 125-123. Tommy Heinsohn -- Rookie of the Year and one of three Hall of Famers drafted by Boston in 1956 (the others were Bill Russell and KC Jones) -- scored 37 points and snatched 23 rebounds in Game 7. Heinsohn and reserve center Arnie Risen fouled out. On the Hawks side, Cliff Hagan, Jack Coleman and Jim McMahon succumbed to referees' whistles. How important was Heinsohn? Bill Sharman and Bob Cousy shot a combined five-for-forty, that's how important. Bill Russell flourished with 19 points, 32 rebounds and five blocks. Each Celtic walked off with a victory share of $1,681.

REUTERS/Adrees Latif
Olajuwon averaged 26 points in the playoffs.

2. Houston at Phoenix, West semifinals, May 20, 1995

The phrase "team of destiny" is sometimes used to describe teams which aren't. But Houston was down 3-1 (after surviving consecutive elimination games against Utah in the first round) and down nine points with five minutes left in the third quarter of Game 7. Kevin Johnson scored 46 points for Phoenix, but Houston went on a 22-11 tear to turn the game. A Phoenix trap at center court left Mario Elie free in the corner and his three-pointer with 7 seconds remaining made it 113-110. Houston held on for a 115-114 win. Danny Schayes was the closest defender to Elie but stayed with Olajuwon. "It was either give up the jumper or let Hakeem have a dunk," Schayes said.

3. L.A. Lakers at Boston, NBA Finals, April 18, 1962
With 74 seconds remaining Boston led 100-96. But guard Frank Selvy hit two shots to tie it and could have clinched it in regulation when he popped free for a 12-footer from the side with three seconds remaining. It missed right. The game went into overtime. Jim Loscutoff, Tom "Satch" Sanders and Tommy Heinsohn had fouled out for Boston; Rudy LaRusso and Elgin Baylor were gone for the Lakers. Sam Jones got five points in the extra period, Russell got four and the Celtics captured their fourth straight championship, 110-107. Russell had 30 points and equaled a playoff record with 44 rebounds. Baylor averaged a dazzling 41 for the series (including a playoff record 61 in game five to put the Lakers up three-two) and West averaged 31 points. It wasn't enough.

4. L.A. Lakers at Sacramento, West finals, June 2, 2002
Sacramento wasn't the first to think they had bagged the Lakers; just the most recent. They put up as wicked a fight against Los Angeles as any team during their run of three straight championships. It took a combination of 35 points, 13 rebounds and four blocks from Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant's 30 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists (not to mention playing 52 of 53 minutes) to get it done. Those performances -- plus Sacramento clanging 14 of 30 free throws and Chris Webber missing his last four shots -- sealed the deal in a 112-106 overtime win for the Lakers.

5. Fort Wayne at Syracuse, NBA Finals, April 10, 1955
Syracuse was the first team to win a title in the era of the 24-second clock. After Syracuse Nationals owner and bowling alley proprietor Danny Biasone -- who Dolph Schayes labeled the "Wilbur Wright of basketball" -- invented the shot clock, league scoring that first year leapt from 79 to 93 points per game. Syracuse rode playmaker Paul Seymour and Schayes (both All Stars and Schayes a Top-50 all-time player), to the Finals against Fort Wayne. Both teams finished with 43-29 records, but Syracuse (the first championship team with African-American players; Earl Lloyd and Jim Tucker) had four games at their War Memorial, where Fort Wayne never won. Guard George King and Schayes were playing the game with broken wrists, but they outlasted the Pistons 92-91 as King hit a free throw and stole a pass in the final seconds. The Nats kept their unblemished 26-0 homecourt record against Fort Wayne.

6. New York at Rochester, NBA Finals, April 21, 1951
All you need to know is that New York was down three games to none and still rallied to even the series. After New York prevailed twice at the 69th Regiment Armory on 25th and Lexington (their home away from home while the circus came to town each spring), the series was evened up. If the series went seven, Rochester would play four at home -- an invaluable advantage since New York hadn't won a game in Edgerton Park Sports Arena in three years. New York trailed until 55 seconds were left when a free throw by Vince Boryla tied it at 75. Rather than hold the ball for a final shot, Rochester's slick playmaker Bob Davies drove aggressively toward the basket with 40 ticks remaining and was fouled by Dick McGuire. Davies made both tosses, Rochester won the ensuing tap and prevailed 79-75.

Manu Ginobili and the Spurs knocked off the Pistons.

7. Detroit at San Antonio, NBA Finals, June 23, 2005

A pretty good definition of a dramatic final is one with a tie score entering the fourth quarter of Game 7. After three quarters it was 57-all. In fact, the Pistons had led by nine in the third quarter. But it appeared that their scoring threats -- especially Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton -- couldn't produce the offense necessary to sustain the lead. The duo misfired for a combined 9-of-26 and Detroit scored only 35 points in the second half. So their impressive road win in game six was not followed by a comparable effort in Game 7. By comparison the duo of Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan were able to carry the Spurs' offense down the stretch. San Antonio won 81-74.

8. Portland v. San Antonio, West semifinals, May 20, 1990
Portland trailed the Spurs 97-90 with 2:32 left in regulation. Then Kevin Duckworth hit, Clyde Drexler nailed a three and Jerome Kersey dunked to tie the score with 1:17 left. With the score knotted at 103 in overtime the Spurs' Kevin Strickland inexplicably threw a no-look pass over his head toward the basket with no teammate in the vicinity. Kersey intercepted and threw a court-length pass to Drexler, who Strickland fouled from behind with 26 seconds left. To make matters worse, Strickland was whistled for an intentional foul and Portland was awarded two shots and the ball. Drexler made both free throws and was fouled again by Terry Cummings six seconds later. Drexler made both for a 107-103 lead. Portland won 108-105.

9. Philadelphia at Boston, East finals, April 5, 1962
It was the year that Chamberlain averaged 50 points, nearly 20 ahead of anyone else, and led his team to 49 wins. But those 49 were 11 less than the Celtics registered. In the end his team succumbed to Boston by two points, 109-107. Twice Philadelphia had nine-point leads in the third quarter. The Celtics were on the ropes as Tom Sanders and Jim Loscutoff both fouled out. But Frank Ramsey came off the bench and he and Bob Cousy rallied the Celtics to a 102-91 lead. When Chamberlain was called for goal-tending on Tommy Heinsohn, it was 107-102. Then Chamberlain hit two free throws and converted a three-point play in the next possession to tie it with seconds remaining. But Sam Jones hit a jumper with two ticks left and then stole an inbound pass to clinch a 109-107 victory.

10. Indiana at Chicago, East finals, May 21, 1998
The Bulls had not been tested in a seventh game since 1992, when they drubbed a feisty New York team in the conference semis, 110-81. Now Jordan was in the middle of a 9-25 shooting night and Indiana, which had already stolen a game on a Reggie Miller three-pointer as time expired, led by three points with less than seven minutes to play. But then a Kerr three, a Pippen jumper and a steal by Ron Harper locked it up for Chicago, 88-83. "This was probably the toughest series of my career," Pippen said. "There was the pressure, and being expected to win. They gave us everything we could ask for." Pippen had 12 rebounds to help Chicago to a 50-34 edge off the boards, including 22-4 on the offensive glass.

Who knows: maybe the Game 7s over the next two days will be good enough to squeeze in the top ten list.

whottt
05-21-2006, 03:08 AM
8. Portland v. San Antonio, West semifinals, May 20, 1990
Portland trailed the Spurs 97-90 with 2:32 left in regulation. Then Kevin Duckworth hit, Clyde Drexler nailed a three and Jerome Kersey dunked to tie the score with 1:17 left. With the score knotted at 103 in overtime the Spurs' Kevin Strickland inexplicably threw a no-look pass over his head toward the basket with no teammate in the vicinity. Kersey intercepted and threw a court-length pass to Drexler, who Strickland fouled from behind with 26 seconds left. To make matters worse, Strickland was whistled for an intentional foul and Portland was awarded two shots and the ball. Drexler made both free throws and was fouled again by Terry Cummings six seconds later. Drexler made both for a 107-103 lead. Portland won 108-105.

And from that day on Drob went from being like the best rookie in NBA history to the soft player who couldn't win the big one...Thanks Rod you $%$@#%$#.

I coulda sworn that game went to double OT though...there were a ton of OT's in that series...IIRC DRob fouled out late in that game and TC played like a freaking beast(TC might have fouled out eventually too), and carried the team...he just couldn't overcome Strickland being the Blazers best player.

Melmart1
05-21-2006, 03:18 AM
I vaguely remember that game, my grandpa was in the hospital and I sat on the bed and watched it with him. I don't think I was more than 12, 13 years old and just getting into watching sports. Man, it was depressing. "Well, there is always next year" was what he said. Unfortunately, we would be saying the same thing for damn near another decade.

SA Gunslinger
05-21-2006, 03:20 AM
And from that day on Drob went from being like the best rookie in NBA history to the soft player who couldn't win the big one...Thanks Rod you $%$@#%$#.

I coulda sworn that game went to double OT though...there were a ton of OT's in that series...IIRC DRob fouled out late in that game and TC played like a freaking beast(TC might have fouled out eventually too), and carried the team...he just couldn't overcome Strickland being the Blazers best player.

It's funny how history doesn't lie. That's the real prize of winning in the playoffs. Your place in history is made in the next couple of weeks. It's bigger than even the players.

By the way, I think it was game five that went to double OT, but I'm not sure. Couldn't find anything to confirm it.

SouthernFried
05-21-2006, 03:21 AM
Who is Kevin Strickland? ;)

Ya...San Antonio never forgave him for that. Then Brown traded everyone, brought in a bunch of over-the-hill vets...and we had to wait for Duncan.

I never forgave Brown for that.

bobbyjoe
05-21-2006, 03:26 AM
It's amazing Sean Elliott never gets any blame for that play. Risky decision by Strickland for the no-look pass but if Elliott cuts like a swing man should be doing in that situation it's an easy layup.

Also, DRob's soft reputation comes from him personally coming up small against Karl Malone and Hakeem in the playoffs. The Spurs were also upset by the Warriors in the first round in the DRob era and routinely bowed out of the playoffs early, often not offering up significant resistance (particularly against the Jazz who typically drilled SA a new one in the playoffs with some huge blowouts).

It also comes from his demeanor as much as anything. The unassuming, rarely showing emotion personality of DRob became an excuse for the media to shun the "Soft" Label.

whottt
05-21-2006, 03:36 AM
It's amazing Sean Elliott never gets any blame for that play. Risky decision by Strickland for the no-look pass but if Elliott cuts like a swing man should be doing in that situation it's an easy layup.

Um...if Strickland pulls his head out of his ass and doesn't try to be flashy then he doesn't make a dumbass pass...

There are some guys on the forum that agree that it was Elliott that broke that play...and it's not like Elliott was choke free prior to 1999...but I still hang that on Strickland...he was showboating.

Can I tell you something? I went to highschool with Strickland...I used to score weed off of him. Dude could be a serious dumbass...and even worse he was a tightwad dealer too.

Also, DRob's soft reputation comes from him personally coming up small against Karl Malone and Hakeem in the playoffs. The Spurs were also upset by the Warriors in the first round in the DRob era and routinely bowed out of the playoffs early, often not offering up significant resistance (particularly against the Jazz who typically drilled SA a new one in the playoffs with some huge blowouts).

It also comes from his demeanor as much as anything. The unassuming, rarely showing emotion personality of DRob became an excuse for the media to shun the "Soft" Label.

Alas the mystifying thing is that the people that make those criticisms of the Admiral obviously weren't watching those games...if they were they'd know that all 3 of the teams you mentioned implemented the same defensive strategy and beat the Spurs by packing the paint and swarming Drob's ass, and daring the rest of the Spurs to beat them.

And they usually responded by bricking the game winning FT's or making no look passes to the goal post....And Drob is the one that gets called soft for it...

Edit: and the point is...if the Spurs win that game they likely advance to the Finals...yes, they would have been severely pounded by the Pistons, but if a dude comes in as a rookie and leads his lottery team to the finals, he makes his own special place in history...and he won't ever be called soft.

sanman53
05-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Bill Russell flourished with 19 points, 32 rebounds and five blocks.

32 boards is sick! That guy was amazing!

1Parker1
05-21-2006, 09:36 AM
10. Indiana at Chicago, East finals, May 21, 1998
The Bulls had not been tested in a seventh game since 1992, when they drubbed a feisty New York team in the conference semis, 110-81. Now Jordan was in the middle of a 9-25 shooting night and Indiana, which had already stolen a game on a Reggie Miller three-pointer as time expired, led by three points with less than seven minutes to play. But then a Kerr three, a Pippen jumper and a steal by Ron Harper locked it up for Chicago, 88-83. "This was probably the toughest series of my career," Pippen said. "There was the pressure, and being expected to win. They gave us everything we could ask for." Pippen had 12 rebounds to help Chicago to a 50-34 edge off the boards, including 22-4 on the offensive glass.

Ohh, I remember that series! After this Dallas-Spurs series, that has to go in my top 3 favorite playoff series of all time! :tu

CosmicCowboy
05-21-2006, 11:44 AM

Whott, I agree that Strickland should have checked but it was a fast break and Sean didn't break down the left wing...and that was a standard Spurs playbook play at the time...As I remember it, Stricklands taller defender was running side by side with him on the break with Strickland running right down the line and the defender with inside position. The behind the back pass was well executed and uncontested but Elliott wasn't where he was supposed to be. Tired legs or mental breakdown....who knows...Sean even admitted he was as much at fault as Strickland but the fans crucified Strickland for the pass and it went down in Spurs lore as a heartbreaking loss that Strickland was 100% responsible for.

tetasfromtejas
05-21-2006, 11:47 AM
oh I remember the portland - san antonio game.......

I just remember my heart breaking :depressed

scott
05-21-2006, 11:52 AM
The Ghost of Rod Strickland haunts me to this day.

CosmicCowboy
05-21-2006, 12:02 PM
I had been to all the home games in that series with my friend and we were at the coast fishing that weekend with the series in Portland. We stayed in that afternoon to watch the game and had about 15 guys crammed into our room watching it. It was about 20% "real" basketball fans and the rest were "casual" basketball fans...after that play my buddy and I were looking at each other going "where the hell was Elliott?" while the rest were screaming for Stricklands head...it was crazy shit...Strickland was the most hated guy in San Antonio that summer rating even lower than serial rapists and mass murderers...

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2006, 12:14 PM
By the way, I think it was game five that went to double OT, but I'm not sure. Couldn't find anything to confirm it.

It was Game 5 that went 2OT.

That series was the ultimate home court series, but as the series progressed, the young Spurs were much closer to getting it done in Portland than the Blazers were to getting it done in San Antonio

The Blazers won the first two easily, taking Game 1 in Portland by 13 (Robinson went 3-11 from the floor, had 9 points, and got t'd up for arguing calls) and Game 2 in Portland by 10, but had lead by 20 in the third quarter (Robinson and Cummings combined for 64, Spurs turned it over 24 times -- had that game been played in this series, the controversy would have been in full force -- Portland shot 51 free throws, the Spurs shot 25)

When the series returned to San Antonio, the Spurs won Game 3 by 23 (Robinson was 11-14 from the floor and had 28 points; Strickland threw out 17 assists). The Spurs then won Game 4 by 10 (Terry Cummings was 16-26 for 35 points, and Strickland dished another 14 assists).

In Game 5, the Blazers got up by 19 at the half and were up by 20 in the third. The Spurs fought back, and David Wingate hit a 3 at the end of regulation to send the game to OT. Sean Elliott hit a jumper at the end of the first OT to send the game into the 2nd OT. Drexler and Clifford Robinson fouled out in the OTs, but Terry Porter hit big free throws to give Portland a lead and then drew a charge on Wingate. Drazen Petrovic hit a jumper to put the Blazers up 3. The Spurs got it to two, but Jerome Kersey put down 2 free throws in the last 15 seconds to extend the lead to 5 and end the game.

In Game 6, the Spurs won by 15 at the HemisFair. Willie Anderson got under Drexler's skin and got him ejected in the 3rd quarter and added 30 points. There were several other big confrontations: David Robinson and Clifford Robinson; Sean Elliott and Jerome Kersey; even Larry Brown and Rick Adelman.

Then there was Game 7.

mikejones99
05-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Spurs were 50 to 1 that year and could have won it all.

baseline bum
05-21-2006, 01:17 PM
No game 7 of the 2000 WCF? Really, who gives a shit about New York versus Rochester?

ZStomp
05-21-2006, 02:24 PM
AAwweee... I was a big Strickland Fan...

:depressed

http://www.nba.com/media/hou_mp050127_strickland_320.jpg