PDA

View Full Version : A sincere question for Mavs fans...

flipcritic
05-21-2006, 03:13 AM
I don't mean to be condescending or spiteful, but is there a sense of frustration for you guys now that Steve Nash has gotten to the Western Conference finals (last season), and now Finley (not to mention NVE) might get there... before Nowitzki will?

Don't get me wrong. I'm the Spurs fan all the way (as I predict to be screaming my lungs out all by myself for Game 7 over here). And if there is any team to be feared that might cut short SA's hopes, Dallas is definitely one of them (Detroit being the other).

I'm honestly just curious. Dallas has been on the losing side for almost a decade starting from Mark Aguirre's trade all the way up to Nowitzki's coming of age. I understand the Mavs fans real hunger for a trip to the finals (much less a championship). Is there a kind of frustration/resentment that I speak of?

gospursgojas
05-21-2006, 03:14 AM
Dirk, Nash, Fin, and Van X all have made it to the WCF before

SouthernFried
05-21-2006, 03:14 AM
uh...this question would be more appropriate, after game 7.

theMUHMEshow
05-21-2006, 03:17 AM
uh...this question would be more appropriate, after game 7.

ya know...I was thinking the same thing

flipcritic
05-21-2006, 03:20 AM
Sorry bout the timing. But I figured, if we win Game 7, this might sound even more condescending.

And sorry about the wrong info. It just feels like Nash has brought PHO further. And that Finley might get the same chance. Just wanted to know what's on Mavs fans' minds with regards to that.

And finally, sorry if I'm not the aggressive fan type. :D God I'm apologetic!

pking
05-21-2006, 03:59 AM
It's something to think about but it was definently more frustrating/annoying for Nash to have all of that success last year. That being said, I was still extremely happy for him because he was/is still one of my favorite players. But I think the quick success and the amount of success was just a bit disheartening. We didn't want to see him go. The day I found out he agreed to something with Phoenix, I almost cried. :lol I was at work when I found out and I don't think I did anything for the day, just couldn't focus. Of course, I wasn't happy for him when he knocked down that 3 pointer in game 6 last year :lol

Finley isn't as important to San Antonio as he was to our team and Nash is more important in Phoenix than he was to our team. Not that he wasn't a huge part of who we were but Phoenix's success relied almost completely on Nash. I'm not saying Amare and the Matrix weren't huge, but Steve made that train go.

Also, with Finley...as much as we loved him, he was without question, declining. He had an enormous contract and he wasn't really earning it anymore. No offense to him. (I still love him, I'm not one of the boo-ers :lol) I realize Cuban is still paying him a ton of money, but in the long run, I think it's going to save him something like 50-80 mil.

I have no resentment for Fin. In fact, I feel bad that he thinks all Dallas fans are against him. He was 'our guy' for a long time and I still respect the hell out of him. Stupid that some Dallas fans call him a traitor. If anybody, Steve's the traitor :lol But in my personal opinion, Steve's just a smart man. I would've probably taken the money, too.

Even though those guys have gone on to join (or create, in Steve's case) very successful teams, the Mavs have gotten better each year. Not because we were out those players, but because of the dynamics, the coach, the additions, the removal of king-small ball (don't get me wrong, I love Nellie), etc. etc.

I have faith that the ship will come our way soon. Hell, it could be this year. We still have a shot... :D

flipcritic
05-21-2006, 04:09 AM
^^ Thanks for that forthright post! Though a hardcore Spurs fan, I couldn't help but feel sad that the core of the great team you had in 2003, (Nowitzki, Finley, and Nash) had to break up for whatever reason. Maybe it was for the better, but three great players (and people) who played like that together is a rarity (Please God let it never happen to us!).

pking
05-21-2006, 04:14 AM
^^ Thanks for that forthright post! Though a hardcore Spurs fan, I couldn't help but feel sad that the core of the great team you had in 2003, (Nowitzki, Finley, and Nash) had to break up for whatever reason. Maybe it was for the better, but three great players (and people) who played like that together is a rarity (Please God let it never happen to us!).

You're welcome. Sorry about all of the laughy faces, I didn't realize there were so many while I was typing it! lol

Yea, it was definently a bummer but I do think we're a better team now. I still love those guys. I couldn't boo them.

J.T.
05-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Does Steve get booed when he comes back to Dallas too? You're right, if anyone's a traitor it's Steve. I haven't seen any PHX @ DAL games this season and I don't remember WCSF from last year. Would be odd for Fin to get booed for being cut and Steve not to get booed for leaving on his own.

pking
05-21-2006, 01:48 PM
At this point, I don't know. Probably so after last years playoffs. I'm sure he didn't in the regular season, but if we're to see him in the next series, I wouldn't be surprised. I went to the Phoenix/Dallas regular season games last season and he did but I didn't make it to any of the playoff games.

ShoogarBear
05-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Yeah, did Cuban try to incite the Dallas fans against Nash the way he is for Finley?

pking
05-21-2006, 01:52 PM
I don't really think he wants the fans against Finley. He still talks about how much he likes and respects Fin. I think he just doesn't want them rooting for a Spurs player in a series this intense.

mavs41531
05-21-2006, 02:07 PM
The first thing that frustrated me was Terrys suspension. I would have been fine with it, if the refs noticed it in the game, and gave him a t or sumthin, and then got a suspension.But they gave it to him with no warning and not even telling dallas that they were looking into it.That was one thing that has made me mad.The other thing is how we choked in game 6.We were leading almost al of the game until the 4th quarter where duncan killed us.There seemed to be no energy in the building and it disapointed me.But I do have hope that we will come out and win this series with Jet having a monster game.

mavsfan1000
05-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Finley was the difference in this series. Too bad he couldn't play like this last year. That is what angers me is that he didn't put forth the effort on defense in Dallas like he is doing now in San Antonio.

1Parker1
05-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Finley was the difference in this series. Too bad he couldn't play like this last year. That is what angers me is that he didn't put forth the effort on defense in Dallas like he is doing now in San Antonio.

Ummm, until this season, NO ONE on the Dallas team was putting an effort on defense. You can't fault Finley for that last season.

TonyC
05-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Agreed, that's what I'm confused about too. Do you guys thik we can take this game 7 in SA. You'd better say yes..........

exstatic
05-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Maybe you should have booed him last year. Worked pretty well for us. ;)

1Parker1
05-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Maybe you should have booed him last year. Worked pretty well for us. ;)

:lol

1Parker1
05-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Agreed, that's what I'm confused about too. Do you guys thik we can take this game 7 in SA. You'd better say yes..........

I think it can still go either way. I expect it to be like the last 4 games, really close and coming down to a single play/shot/offensive rebound. I just hope the refs stay out of it and let both teams play in the end.

Hook Dem
05-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Yes, I think you can but NO, I don't think you will! :lol

etex211
05-21-2006, 06:42 PM
The Mavericks were never going to go the finals with the lineup they had two years ago. With they current lineup, it is a possibility.

Nash is a good player and does great in the regular season, but better guards such as Bibby and Parker routinely eat his lunch in the playoffs. Every year in the playoffs, we would hear about Nash's "tired legs." I believe the main reason that Mavs let him go is that they determined that given his age and history of injury, it wasn't a wise investment to spend the money to keep him. So far, the Suns have been lucky in that he hasn't missed any significant playing time with them.

Harris is still maturing as a player and will eventually be one of the best point guards in the league. The Mavericks would never have traded for the pick to draft him if Nash had stayed.

The Mavs saved about $50 million in luxury tax money by letting Finley go. His absence gives more minutes to Howard, Stackhouse, and Daniels. Finley blew hot and cold his last couple of years here, more cold than hot. He never drove the lane like he has in this series. I'm not sure where that is coming from. It must be some extra motiviation or something.

As strange as it seems, the Mavericks are better off with both Nash and Finley gone. Really.

td4mvp21
05-21-2006, 06:54 PM

Yes, I think so. That's why I'm nervous. But honestly, I don't think Tim Duncan, Finley, or any other Spurs player is gonna let this home game slip from them. I think they've battled back from something that the Spurs team is not known to recover from. I think that's why a lot of Spurs fans think we are gonna win for sure; just until this series, the Spurs were known as a "if they're down, they're out" team. But this team battled back and tied it. It will be interesting. Dallas has a good chance, however I really think the Spurs might win, just because its a home game and this crowd will be LOUD.

exstatic
05-21-2006, 06:55 PM
He never drove the lane like he has in this series. I'm not sure where that is coming from. It must be some extra motiviation or something.

No, just great perimeter rotations by Dallas and shitty interior D.

etex211
05-21-2006, 06:59 PM
No, just great perimeter rotations by Dallas and shitty interior D.

The defense doesn't matter. He's always preferred jump shots to layups.....and he's never been a very good ball handler.