PDA

View Full Version : Sunday football(soccer) gossip.

iron mike tryson
05-21-2006, 06:15 AM
West Ham manager Alan Pardew wants to sign former Crystal Palace team-mate Gareth Southgate from Middlesbrough as a player-coach (Mail).

Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce says he rejected advice from first-team coach Steve Wigley to sign Theo Walcott for £3m last summer as he thought it was too much of a gamble (Star).

Millwall and Peterborough have both spoken to former Grays coach Mark Stimson about their managerial vacancies (Star).

Everton are watching Auxerre's Belgian international striker Luigi Pieroni, who says he is "fascinated" by the prospect of playing in England (Star).

Steven Gerrard says Wayne Rooney has told him he expects to be fit to play in the World Cup, but does not want to set a specific game for his comeback date (Express).

Aston Villa could sell Milan Baros just a year after signing him from Liverpool to finance major changes next season (Express).

Manchester City captain Sylvain Distin is ready to sign a new three-year contract (Express).

Former QPR boss Ian Holloway could be the next Ipswich manager, with ex-Ipswich manager Joe Royle wanted by consortium looking to take control of Derby (News of the World).

Arsenal could make a surprise move for Crystal Palace striker Andy Johnson, with Bolton after the Eagles' failure to return to the Premiership (News of the World).

Former Chelsea defender Nigel Spackman will be confirmed as Millwall's fifth manager in 12 months on Monday (News of the World).

Chelsea could move Ruud van Nistelrooy after United expressed interest in Eidur Gudjohnsen (News of the World).

Michael Owen will start England's B international against Belarus on Thursday, with Theo Walcott also getting a run-out (Independent).

Reading's Steve Sidwell could be on his way to Charlton (People).

Adam Virgo could move from Celtic to Sheffield United after only starting four games in a year at Parkhead (People).

Newcastle want Ruud van Nistelrooy to replace Alan Shearer, and have insisted Michael Owen will not be leaving the club (People).

Wigan and Bolton are leading the chase to sign Newcastle midfielder Nicky Butt, who spent last season on loan at relegated Birmingham (Mirror).

Leeds will offer a contract to free agent Francis Jeffers, who has also received offers from France and Portugal, whether or not they win the play-off final (Mirror).

Chelsea could offer Arsenal Shaun Wright-Phillips in an effort to get Ashley Cole to move to Stamford Bridge (Mirror).

Charlton defender Luke Young has withdrawn from the standby list for England's World Cup squad because of an ankle injury. Young picked up the injury in April, but had been in Portugal with the squad for the last week and joined full training for the first time on Friday. But after holding discussions with coach Sven-Goran Eriksson, Young opted to withdraw from the standby list.

Manchester United owner Malcolm Glazer has suffered a second stroke and been re-admitted to hospital, BBC Radio Five Live has reported. Glazer's condition is not said to be life threatening but he is expected to remain under medical supervision until at least the end of the month. The American, 77, has been in hospital for most of the last six weeks after suffering a first stroke on 16 April. His son, Joel, said Glazer is expected to be released in the next few weeks. Glazer, who is being treated at Florida's Cleveland Clinic, is finding difficulty with speech and movement on his right side. "Doctors expect my father to return home in the next few weeks," said Joel Glazer, one of his sons. "As a result of this stroke his rehabilitation period will be longer and more challenging. Our family appreciates all the support and warm wishes that we have received."

Andriy Shevchenko will decide next week whether he will stay at AC Milan or move to Premiership champions Chelsea. The 29-year-old Ukraine striker's deal expires in June 2009 but the club have offered him a two-year extension. Asked if he was heading for England, Shevchenko told Gazzetta dello Sport: "I'm considering it and you will know my decision on the 24th or 25th May. I never said I had made my mind up to go to Chelsea. I just said that I was thinking about it for family reasons."

West Brom manager Bryan Robson has told Cardiff he is only willing to let Jason Koumas join them permanently in a straight swap for Cameron Jerome. Midfielder Koumas spent last season on loan at Ninian Park alongside 20-goal Bluebirds striker Jerome. "Cardiff want money plus Koumas, but I think it should be the other way round," Robson said. "Jason is probably a better player than Jerome at the moment so if there is any deal to be done, Cardiff must give."

Derby claim they have delayed naming a new manager because of a late rush of applicants to replace Phil Brown. The new Rams boss will not be named for at least another week, while a second round of interviews is conducted. Managing director Mike Horton told BBC Radio Derby: "It could take another 10 days to go through the process. We're getting people contacting us who I'd say are of significantly higher quality than the original applicants who came forward."

Gretna owner Brooks Mileson is to help Dundee fans in their bid to become the major shareholders at Dens Park. The Dee4Life Trust voted on Saturday to launch a fundraising campaign to buy 33% of the shares in the club. And it announced that Mileson, a keen backer of the supporters trust movement, had promised to visit the city to spearhead their funding drive. Dundee owner Peter Marr has agreed to reduce his shareholding to 25% as part of a restructuring of the club. The club announced last week that it would start the season debt free as a result. The trust, which already owns 5% of Dundee's shares, need to raise around £180,000 to become the biggest shareholding group. Gretna will be Dundee's opponents in Division One next season after successive promotions. Mileson has bankrolled Gretna's success but is also a major supporter of grassroots football. He recently admitted to giving money to nearly 70 clubs in Scotland and England, including Dundee United.

Wales could be without Danny Gabbidon for today's friendly with a Basque XI in Bilbao after the West Ham defender banged his knee against a post. Portsmouth right-back Richard Duffy is already ruled out after suffering a recurrence of his knee injury. Cardiff wing Paul Parry also has a knee problem, while club-mate Jason Koumas has pulled out for "personal reasons". Gillingham goalkeeper Jason Brown was another withdrawal as his wife gave birth to their second child on Friday. Swansea City midfielder Owain Tudur Jones and left-back Sam Ricketts are unavailable because of club duty. Uncapped midfielder Jones and full-back Ricketts are preparing for Swansea's League One play-off final with Barnsley on 27 May.

Scotland Under-21 striker Steven Naismith has apologised to their Turkish counterparts for a national anthem farce at Rugby Park. The Turkish visitors were furious that their pre-match song had been "lost" before Friday evening's 1-1 draw. "They were fired up after the national anthem," said Naismith. "They weren't pleased so it was far from a friendly. The referee didn't think it was fair that we didn't play their anthem and didn't shake hands with the players." The Turkish anthem was replaced by a few bars of the Proclaimers' "500 Miles". But, as Scotland's players broke away to prepare for the game after hearing Flower of Scotland, the Turks sang their own anthem. "We went out to warm up on the park," said Naismith. "From our point of view, we didn't know what was happening."

Liverpool midfielder Dietmar Hamann has retired from international football after being overlooked for Germany’s World Cup squad. He won 59 caps and scored five goals, among them the last ever goal at the old Wembley Stadium when Germany beat England in an October 2000 World Cup qualifier. Hamann made his international debut against South Africa in 1997 and his last appearance was against Holland in August last year. In 2002 he played for Germany in the World Cup final. The 32-year-old was also an FA Cup winner with Liverpool last weekend but admits he expected to be omitted by Germany boss Jurgen Klinsmann. “It’s not really a big surprise to me I wasn’t in the squad,” he said on www.liverpoolfc.tv. “I haven’t spoken to the manager for the last three months so I didn’t think there was much chance of me being included. That’s it for me now at international level. I’m 32 now and this would have been my last tournament.”

Chievo sensation Franco Semioli is in negotiations for a move to Fiorentina, confirmed the player. “There is nothing concrete yet, but Fiorentina have made their interest known and are talking to the Chievo directors,” announced the midfielder. “I think that my adventure with this club has come to a natural end after three wonderful years and I feel it is time to wear the jersey of a major side.”

Ascoli have officially named former Cagliari Coach Attilio Tesser as their new tactician for 2006-07. The club needed a change after Marco Giampaolo announced his departure earlier this week, but few expected the decision to be made so quickly. Tesser has signed a one-year contract and replaces Giampaolo, who had taken the side to an unexpected promotion from Serie B and a creditable 12th-place finish.

Sepp Blatter and Franz Beckenbauer believe the scandal rocking Italian football could have repercussions on the World Cup squad. “It’s a problem. A big problem,” FIFA President Blatter told Italian journalists in Zurich. “Is it the worst football scandal? I think so. What’s happened is terrible and just crazy. In Italy, this sport is more important than religion, so the consequences of all this will be terrible. Their image comes out of this situation in tatters.” Nobody has been charged with any wrongdoing yet, but the investigation into alleged match-fixing and collusion with referees at this stage involves several clubs and could see Juventus relegated in a worst case scenario. Some people have already paid the price for the allegations, as referee Massimo De Santis was removed from the World Cup roster. “I learn from the Press that in Italy referees could be picked in a phone call. It’s absurd. The decision to suspend De Santis’ accreditation for the World Cup was well-timed, as if it hadn’t arrived before the tournament, then we would’ve taken that step without the FIGC asking us first.” Blatter also had words of condemnation for FIGC President Franco Carraro, who has resigned from his post due to the scandal. “The Federation has its responsibilities, as it should’ve been vigilant and instead did not notice what was happening.” German legend Franz Beckenbauer also believes the effects of the investigation will be felt in the tournament this summer. “Italy will pay on the field for the psychological burns of this scandal,” said the former player in an interview on RAI television. “Until a little while ago, I considered the Azzurri to be among the favourites for the trophy, as they have a great squad and an expert Coach like Marcello Lippi. Now I’m certain the chaos that has exploded will damage the squad. Their minds will be elsewhere and it is too big a scandal to ignore. You can’t pretend it’s not there in these circumstances.” Last year there was a refereeing scandal in Germany linked with betting rings, but Beckenbauer fears Calciopoli has surpassed it. “I thought certain things could only happen in Germany, but in Italy I’d say what happened is even more serious. This is the worst scandal ever to have hit world football.”

Giovanni Trapattoni has defended Italy Coach Marcello Lippi from accusations he accepted recommendations from Luciano Moggi. The allegations surfaced this week following the publication of taped telephone calls between former Juventus director general Moggi and the Azzurri boss, although Lippi has denied taking orders from the transfer guru on which players to select for international duty. “Lippi’s choices are there for all to see and there is nothing shadowy about them,” assured Trapattoni. “Everyone should wait until the dust settles and then make a judgement.”

Former Roma transfer guru Franco Baldini has confirmed negotiations to replace Luciano Moggi at Juventus are in full swing. “I have had a meeting in Turin and this is well known, but for now there is nothing more I can say,” he told journalists yesterday afternoon.

Now that he is no longer Italy’s Prime Minister, Silvio Berlusconi has announced plans to take back the Milan Presidency. “After my time in political office, I can say that I will be the future President of Milan,” said the club patron. Berlusconi was forced to resign his position at the head of the Rossoneri due to a conflict of interests, although no replacement was named, as Vice-President Adriano Galliani effectively ran the outfit.

Inter are also involved in the growing scandal after allegations Pierluigi Pairetto informed them in advance of Champions League referees. One of the first issues that struck former Juventus director general Luciano Moggi in this investigation was the fact that designator Pairetto had told him the name of the referees assigned to their European games up to two weeks ahead of kick-off. Under UEFA rules, clubs are not supposed to know who will officiate their ties until 48 hours before the match and Pairetto was reprimanded for that action. According to new telephone interceptions quoted in today’s ‘Gazzetta dello Sport,’ Inter President Facchetti was also informed of the referees assigned to two of their Champions League group games in advance. The phone calls, made in September 2004, see Pairetto confirming that Urs Meier has been assigned to the big game against Valencia and Kyros Vassaras for the Anderlecht encounter. “I made them put Meier in for the second game, because that was the most important for you,” Pairetto was quoted as saying in the alleged telephone conversation. “I picked him, as he is a very reliable referee. Valencia is a tough atmosphere.” The conversation took place on September 14, two weeks before Vassaras was officially assigned to the 3-1 win against Anderlecht and over a month before Swiss referee Meier officiated Inter’s 5-1 victory at Valencia’s Mestalla stadium.

Juventus will “not sit passively” during the investigation into Luciano Moggi's dealings, but will turn a new page, claims patron John Elkann. “We have to turn a new page. The values that were so greatly expressed during the Turin Winter Olympics must and will be at the heart of our future actions,” he told ‘La Stampa’ newspaper this morning.

Palermo are said to be lining up a surprise offer for Czech Republic hitman Jan Koller, but insist it was a misunderstanding. The rumours emerged this week after Rosanero director of sport Rino Foschi flew out to Prague with an agent. “It was purely a personal visit to the city and I took along a friend of mine who happens to be an agent, but we did not discuss transfer details. We are not interested in Koller,” claimed Foschi.

CSKA Moscow kept hold of the Russian Cup on Saturday after their Brazilian strikers swept them to a 3-0 victory over city rivals Spartak.

Iain Dowie's future as manager of Crystal Palace was in doubt last night. The 41-year-old Dowie is scheduled to appear at a press conference alongside chairman Simon Jordan on Monday, with Eagles striker Clinton Morrison confirming the two recently fell out. Whether that conference has been called to confirm the pair have smoothed things over, or to announce Dowie's departure from the club he began managing in December 2003, remains to be seen. But it is believed Dowie is keen to be allowed to talk to south London neighbours Charlton about their managerial vacancy after Alan Curbishley ended his 15-year tenure at The Valley, while he has also been linked with Preston, whose manager Billy Davies has been given permission to speak to the Addicks. Dowie could favour a return north as his family live in Lancashire. Morrison said: "Somebody from a high authority told me that he [Dowie] had had a bit of barney with the chairman. Hopefully, with whatever has happened between Iain Dowie and the chairman, it can be sorted. It would be so disappointing if the manager who brought me in moves on, particularly as it would mean another change - and Palace have a tendency to change their manager."

Newcastle United manager Glenn Roeder has refused to rule out a summer move for Tottenham Hotspur striker Jermain Defoe.

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba says he is considering leaving England due to the level of criticism levelled at him for his on-field antics.

Swindon Town have announced that former England international Dennis Wise has agreed to become the club's new player-manager.

Steven Gerrard believes he can adapt to play as a second striker at the World Cup should England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson need him to do so. While Wayne Rooney is absent with a broken metatarsal, Liverpool midfielder Gerrard - who has been deployed in an advanced role for his club with mixed results - will happily step into the breach. 'We did it a lot against Chelsea because we always wanted a man against Claude Makelele, who starts a lot of their attacks,' Gerrard told the Daily Telegraph. 'When I first played there I must admit it was a bit strange to be receiving the ball so high up the pitch with my back to goal, having top defenders like John Terry and (Ricardo) Carvalho right behind. But I like to think that I'm at a stage in my career where I can learn quite quickly and adapt to certain situations.' Gerrard also revealed that Rooney is 'really hopeful' of playing at some stage in the tournament, although it remains unlikely he will be fit to play in the opening game against Paraguay on June 10. 'He thinks he's got a chance of playing some part,' said Gerrard. 'He told me that he doesn't want to target one particular game in case he doesn't make it, but he's really hopeful that he's going to be part of it.' The Liverpool midfielder added: 'Sven's got to make a big decision on him but I'm just glad Wayne hasn't been ruled out completely.'

Michael Ballack expects to finish his career at Chelsea. Ballack, 29, completed his free transfer from Bayern Munich to Stamford Bridge this week before flying back to Germany to prepare for the World Cup. He has signed a three-year deal with the Premiership champions, reported to be worth £130,000-a-week, and says he wants it to be his final move. Ballack said: 'I hope this will be my last club. I'd like to finish my career here. I'm 29 now and I have a three-year contract initially. I hope things work out well and that we're successful in the next three years and the possibility will exist to extend that contract. You could say that is my vision at the moment, to end my career at Chelsea.'

The League Managers Association have assured chief executive John Barnwell he has their 'absolute support' following the row over Glenn Roeder's appointment as Newcastle boss. The LMA were powerless to prevent the former West Ham boss being named the new manager at St James' Park. Roeder does not have the UEFA pro licence, which has been a prerequisite qualification for all managers in the Barclays Premiership, aside from those such as Sir Alex Ferguson who have sufficient experience to be handed exemptions. However clubs belonging to the Premier League voted in favour of Roeder being allowed to take the Newcastle job. The LMA's influence looked to have little impact on how the clubs voted, and to Barnwell's dismay Roeder was allowed to take the reins at Newcastle. Barnwell and Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd have been at loggerheads, and an unseemly exchange of words through the media threatened to overshadow the issue at the heart of the debate. However the LMA, who are chaired by former Leeds and Sunderland manager Howard Wilkinson, issued a statement in defence of their chief executive. 'The issues surrounding the appointment of the new manager of Newcastle United Football Club have been widely misrepresented,' the statement declared. 'Without wishing to prolong the public debate it is important for the management committee of the LMA to give its absolute support to John Barnwell.' Although top-flight clubs were happy for Roeder - who begins his part-time UEFA course this summer - to assume his new role, the LMA insist that their members back the organisation's stance. That has been given validity by both Sam Allardyce and Paul Jewell, managers of Bolton and Wigan respectively, speaking out against the Magpies' choice of manager - even if Shepherd hinted the pair had an axe to grind, suggesting they had been overlooked for the Newcastle job. 'As chief executive it is his responsibility to represent the views of the majority of the members,' the LMA statement added. 'In this particular case that is exactly what he has done and with the full authority of the members as expressed in the recent annual general meeting. The LMA is fully committed to raising standards in management and coaching and using the vast knowledge and experience of the members to help the game flourish at all levels. Accepting mandatory qualifications is fundamental to achieving these objectives and the LMA membership recognises that this is very much in the best long-term interest of the game.'

Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o crowned a memorable season by finishing as the Primera Liga's top marksman with 26 goals as he scored in his side's 3-1 defeat at Athletic Bilbao on Saturday.

Benfica have appointed Portuguese Fernando Santos as their new coach, the Lisbon club announced at a news conference on Saturday. The former Sporting, AEK Athens and Porto trainer, 51, will sign a two-year contract. He replaces Dutchman Ronald Koeman who resigned earlier this month to join PSV Eindhoven after Benfica finished the season in third place in the Portuguese League, failing to secure an automatic Champions League spot.

Former Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni denied in a German television interview on Saturday that he has agreed to accept a job as team boss with Red Bull Salzburg with Lothar Matthaeus as his coach. The 67-year-old said he had still not yet made any final decision on whether to join Red Bull. Red Bull Salzburg had announced on its website on Friday that Trapattoni and Matthaeus, 45, had been hired by Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz, as team boss and coach respectively. 'It's an honour that Salzburg is interested in me,' Trapattoni told ZDF. 'But such a step has to be carefully considered. That I've signed a contract is a piece of news that is absolutely not accurate. A decision on my part will come at the earliest next week.' Trapattoni also clarified what roles he and Matthaeus would have if they went to Salzburg. 'Lothar is a good friend but it's clear that I would be the chief coach and Matthaeus would be my assistant,' Trapattoni said in the interview which is to be broadcast on Saturday. 'Lothar was my player, he knows my experience. Naturally it would depend on Lothar but he has already signalled that he would like to work with me.'

England's Bob Houghton and Dutchman Clemence Westerhof are among four candidates to be interviewed for the job of India soccer coach, the national federation said on Saturday. Former Ireland manager Brian Kerr and ex-Chelsea manager Ian Porterfield will also attend the interviews to be held next week, All India Football Federation (AIFF) secretary Albert Colaco said in a news release.

Angola became the third World Cup finalists to arrive in Germany when they landed on Saturday in the northern town of Hanover near their training base in Celle three weeks before the tournament begins. The team were welcomed at the Hanover airport by Lower Saxony state Interior Minister Uwe Schuenemann and other local officials in cool and damp weather before they travelled to Celle. Togo were the first of the 32 teams to arrive in Germany last Monday followed by Costa Rica on Wednesday. Germany have gone the other way, spending two weeks' training in Italy and Switzerland.

PFC Levski Sofia have claimed the Bulgarian Premier League title with two games to spare after a 2-1 victory at PFC Botev Plovdiv gave them an unassailable eight-point advantage at the summit.

Turkish international Servet Çetin has signed a three-year extension to his contract with Superleague runners-up Fenerbahçe SK, who have also fixed the services of striker Semih Şentürk. The 25-year-old defender Servet made just eleven league appearances this season, as well as one start in the 4-0 UEFA Champions League defeat by AC Milan in November. He will now hope to have more influence when Fenerbahçe attempt to negotiate two qualifying rounds to repeat the group stage appearance, after the side showed faith in their out-of-form centre-back. Meanwhile, striker Semih has extended his contract by a further two years, after scoring nine goals last season, despite making only four starts. A four-goal haul against Servet's former employers Denizlispor caught the eye but it was his two goals against Trabzonspor that most convinced the club of his class.

Argentine Osvaldo Ardiles arrived in Israel on Friday with a view to signing as the next coach of big-spending Premier League club Betar Jerusalem. Betar are looking for a new coach following the departure last month of Frenchman Luis Fernandez, who decided not to exercise the option of a one-year extension on his contract. "I am very happy to arrive in Israel and today I will discuss plans," Ardiles told reporters at Ben-Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv. "I hope to sign with Betar for next season but at the moment I know very little about the club."