PDA

View Full Version : Fin on Dirk...Bowen on Terry!!!

OH BE 1 GINOBLI
05-21-2006, 10:15 AM
With Terry out of the last game...What was most noticable to me was how much speed Dallas lost in transition. It's a given that Terry is faster than Bowen but with proper spacing and Bowens length I think he can take him out of his game...and I know he can stay with him in transition.With the way Bruce denies the ball in the half court and Terry coming out to prove something to the world (mentality), I think this switch could disrupte the start of the game and might make some deference in jumping on them early.AJ would make some changes prob w/ the pick and roll but we could throw a zone at that...anything to get them out of their comfort zone!!!
Your thoughts?

Leetonidas
05-21-2006, 10:16 AM
And who will guard Josh Howard?

texlawman
05-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Please put Finley on Dirk! I've seen many years of his play and know his defensive quality. Dirk will go for 40 if Finley guards him. He is way overmatched. I'd also love for you to put Bowen on Terry. That might really help Howard if you start Horry on him.

Leetonidas
05-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Please put Finley on Dirk! I've seen many years of his play and know his defensive quality. Dirk will go for 40 if Finley guards him. He is way overmatched. I'd also love for you to put Bowen on Terry. That might really help Howard if you start Horry on him.

Finley's been guarding him dude, and doing a pretty damn good job.

Him and Bowen have been alternating.

texlawman
05-21-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm glad you like the matchup. Please put him on Dirk tomorrow then.

1Parker1
05-21-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm glad you like the matchup. Please put him on Dirk tomorrow then.

We'll email Pop and get right on top of that. :tu :rolleyes

OH BE 1 GINOBLI
05-21-2006, 10:31 AM
TEX...
I dont mind Horry or Barry on Howard...and as far as you seeing many years of Finley's
defense...bet you never seen him play defense like he is this year ehh?
nough said!!!

texlawman
05-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Finley always has been an average defender at best. I like Finley's game a ton, but he is not a defensive player. Perhaps you just do a better job at disguising his weakness when you put 2 or 3 good defenders next to him at all times.

OH BE 1 GINOBLI
05-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Like I said...Fins defense on Dirks last shot game 6 heroic(laugh laugh)shot, looked pretty good to me!!!

texlawman
05-21-2006, 10:59 AM
The last play was poorly executed. A good high school player could have defended that ugly off balanced three point shot. That play is not a testament to great defense, but rather lack of execution by the Mavs.

itzsoweezee
05-21-2006, 11:06 AM
finley has done a great job on dirk. i think it says a lot about dirk that players 6 inches shorter than him can effectively neutralize him. if duncan had some 6'5" player guarding him, he'd go for 50 pts every night.

OH BE 1 GINOBLI
05-21-2006, 11:07 AM
You missed my point...Last play game six and Pop's got enough confidence to have Fin on Dirk???
I guess if he does I do...go figure...and it worked!!!
Then surely he could start the game on him and let Bowen guard Terry just for a different look...

Shank
05-21-2006, 11:09 AM
You put Bowen on Terry and he leads him out to the perimeter just to blow past him every time. Bowen couldn't keep up with him for the whole game.

And I'll bet anything that you still won't see more than a couple minutes out of Rasho/Nazr Monday night.

td4mvp21
05-21-2006, 11:49 AM
You put Bowen on Terry and he leads him out to the perimeter just to blow past him every time. Bowen couldn't keep up with him for the whole game.

And I'll bet anything that you still won't see more than a couple minutes out of Rasho/Nazr Monday night.

If we put Bowen on Terry in the fourth? Terry won't get much. Watch Game 7 of the Finals last year if you don't believe me.

Dirk41MVP
05-21-2006, 07:09 PM
This is exactly what Aj did with howard on game 6, if anybody in this spurs noticed, josh howard, was on parker for long periods of time, giving him a lot of fits, and denying him penetration. remember how many three pointers parker had to take ? lol, thanks to josh. If anybody here has the game taped, go back and watch it, jho on parker = 3-15 fg's, and 0-2 in 3 POINTERS ?? ... yeah parker didnt just have a "bad night", if he did that, it would even talk worse about him... choking in the biggest game for his team this season. Jho was the man, and will be the man again in game 7, hopefull avery will o this again.

Big and athletic man, seem to give PG's fits, you saw it with marion and cassell, ross/livingston and nash, now parker and jho. bowen on jet i think would work in your advantage, of course jho or dirk would go off then.

Ginofan
05-21-2006, 07:13 PM

Bowen guards AI on a regular all the time. Terry is nowhere near as fast as AI.

Not to say that Bowen should be guarding Terry.

mavsfan1000
05-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Taking Bowen off of Howard gives Howard a chance to get going again. Can Ginobili guard Howard? During the regular season it hasn't happened for Ginobili. Bowen on Terry means Parker will have to guard Harris for the whole game which will hurt Parker's offense.

Kori Ellis
05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
I think Manu/Tony will guard Terry/Harris.

Let Bowen alternate between Howard and Dirk for most of the game, and then take whoever is hot in crunch time.

Spurologist
05-21-2006, 07:42 PM

http://video.google.com/nba.html

Merlin
05-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Put Horry on Dirk and let Horry stay on the perimeter where he likes it and that will greatly reduce the number of rebounds Dirk gets.

Kori Ellis
05-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Put Horry on Dirk and let Horry stay on the perimeter where he likes it and that will greatly reduce the number of rebounds Dirk gets.

They tried that earlier in the series when Horry was starting. Now that Horry hasn't started in the last few games, Bowen/Finley cover Dirk from the get-go.

mavsfan1000
05-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Horry= Dirk gets to relax on defense and not expand much energy.

nbascribe
05-21-2006, 07:56 PM
At this stage in the game, changes don't need to be made.

tony can handle Terry; needs to play on top of him and don't give him any space.

The trick to beating the Mavericks is to force them into being just a jump shooting team. They don't have an inside post game and if the Spurs keep them shooting on the perimeter, all the Spurs have to do is grab the boards and control the tempo.

The Spurs do that for FOUR quarters and theyw ill win this series.

I'll say it again, if the Mavs get over 100 points, the Spurs will be french toast. They continue to play stellar defense like they have the last two games and they will face somebody on Wednesday.

mavsfan1000
05-21-2006, 07:59 PM
With Terry being back the mavs are much better shooting from the perimeter.

Merlin
05-21-2006, 09:29 PM
They tried that earlier in the series when Horry was starting. Now that Horry hasn't started in the last few games, Bowen/Finley cover Dirk from the get-go.

How many games did he start? When I have seen him lately, he is replacing Duncan. He played 33 minutes the first game. SA won. He played only 19 minutes in game 2. SA lost. He played 11 mins in game 3. SA lost. He played 9 minutes in game 4. SA lost.

He couldnt have started games 3 and 4 with those minutes.

Kori Ellis
05-21-2006, 09:46 PM
How many games did he start? When I have seen him lately, he is replacing Duncan. He played 33 minutes the first game. SA won. He played only 19 minutes in game 2. SA lost. He played 11 mins in game 3. SA lost. He played 9 minutes in game 4. SA lost.

He couldnt have started games 3 and 4 with those minutes.

He started Games 1 through 3.

Merlin
05-22-2006, 08:35 AM
He started Games 1 through 3.

His minutes were greatly reduced in game 2 and especially game 3 whether he started or not. He is the most logical choice to guard Dirk and to keep him off the boads. He is also proven to be one of the greatest clutch shooters in playoff history.

spur219
05-22-2006, 08:50 AM
If Bowen guards A.I. pretty well what makes you think he can't keep up with Terry.

fyatuk
05-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Horry= Dirk gets to relax on defense and not expand much energy.

Uhh, nah. Dirk would keep guarding bowen and not expend any energy on defense. Dirk is scared to play defense or something.

texlawman
05-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Available players Available Defenders
Dirk Bowen/Finley
Howard Horry/Finley/Bowen
Terry Gino/Bowen
Harris Parker

It really doesn't matter what combination you put out there. One or multiple mismatches will be created and I think this will favor the Mavs getting to the hoop early and often.

strangeweather
05-22-2006, 01:17 PM
finley has done a great job on dirk. i think it says a lot about dirk that players 6 inches shorter than him can effectively neutralize him.

Dirk put 26 and 20 on the scoreboard in Game 6, so I think it's a stretch to say Fin "neutralized" him. The key was that we shut down pretty much everyone else, and didn't give Dirk so much room that he could kill us.