PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see DaVinci Code yet?

samikeyp
05-21-2006, 02:44 PM
saw it yesterday...It was awesome.

Marklar MM
05-21-2006, 03:45 PM
I saw it yesterday too. :)

mookie2001
05-21-2006, 03:53 PM
how was it awesome?

METALMiKE
05-21-2006, 04:20 PM
yep,was awesome. :)

mookie2001
05-21-2006, 04:30 PM
In what way was it awesome

did he find the code or what??

mookie2001
05-21-2006, 04:51 PM
example

first blood was the shit because he starts out drifting, and he actually doesnt draw first blood, the punk police do, then he regulates on them one by one, then the national guard cant do jack shit because hes rambo

RealEstateDude
05-21-2006, 04:52 PM
It suked major !@#$%^&

Xolotl
05-21-2006, 05:11 PM
I liked it more when I saw it the first time when it was called National Treasure

alamo50
05-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Even though the Vatican didn't want it to hit the screen I felt like was leaving churh walking out of the theater after the movie had ended.

Phil Hellmuth
05-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Dissapointed in the movie.

Acting was horrible.

bigzak25
05-21-2006, 07:07 PM
eh, it passed the time. the chic was goodlooking...

over the hedge was good too...gotta love a squirrel on coke.

Clandestino
05-21-2006, 07:54 PM
was okay...nothing special... the shows on national geographic and discovery, etc are better...

TOP-CHERRY
05-21-2006, 07:56 PM
over the hedge was good too...gotta love a squirrel on coke.
ooh, I wanna see that one.

J.T.
05-21-2006, 08:48 PM
The problem with the DVC movie is that the book already reads like a movie. So you are adapting something that is already a film like into a film. That's why DVC movie sucked. The book was much more suspenseful to me. To put it in other words, the book is 500 pgs, I hate reading more than anything, and I read the book in 2 nights. I was begging for the movie to be over. It just wasn't the same.

If you haven't seen the movie or read the book, I recommend just watching some of the trailers so you get a feel for the characters and locations and then read the book. The book is sooooooooooo much better than the movie.

samikeyp
05-21-2006, 09:14 PM
The book is sooooooooooo much better than the movie.

agreed.

smeagol
05-21-2006, 09:53 PM
It's disrespectfull to my religion (or so I've been told). Not too enthused about it.

scott
05-21-2006, 10:05 PM
I'll preface my post by saying I haven't read the book or seen any of the 4392034920 shows about this phenomenon.

With that said, it was okay. I thought it was an interesting story line, but i didn't think the cinematography was all that, nor the acting. It wasn't bad, but it didn't add to the film. Plus, highly predictable ending.

1Parker1
05-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm seeing it tommorow! So far, mixed reviews huh?

MissAllThat
05-21-2006, 10:44 PM
The problem with the DVC movie is that the book already reads like a movie. So you are adapting something that is already a film like into a film. That's why DVC movie sucked. The book was much more suspenseful to me. To put it in other words, the book is 500 pgs, I hate reading more than anything, and I read the book in 2 nights. I was begging for the movie to be over. It just wasn't the same.

If you haven't seen the movie or read the book, I recommend just watching some of the trailers so you get a feel for the characters and locations and then read the book. The book is sooooooooooo much better than the movie.

I agree completely. I loved the book but found myself checking the time on my phone every 5 minutes during the movie. I have no idea if people who didn't see the book enjoyed the movie, but it seemed like some did. The movie abruptly stopped and the lights came on about 15 minutes before it was over (kind of a big part), and there were lots of gasps as if people were into the movie. I just started laughing.

Trainwreck2100
05-22-2006, 01:15 AM
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

The only code that matters

Jekka
05-22-2006, 01:32 AM
It's disrespectfull to my religion (or so I've been told). Not too enthused about it.

My mom's a Methodist minister and she both read the book and plans on seeing the movie.

Granted, after she read it she bitched about it to me for about two weeks, but she recognizes that it is fiction and was pretty entertained by it. She loved Angels and Demons (it's one of the only things we see eye to eye on), too.

TheDavinciCode
05-22-2006, 07:33 AM
The book, FICTION, is always better than the movie.

Marklar MM
05-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Poor, poor Silas. He deserved better.

dougp
05-22-2006, 09:36 AM
too bad the story is complete, utter bullshit.
most stories are bullshit - ever read Tom Clancy, or see any of his movies? Perhaps Michael Chrichton? OR did you actually think Jurassic Park and Congo were real? :lol

TheRage
05-22-2006, 10:28 AM
it changed my life.

McKenzie
05-22-2006, 10:41 AM

I'm waiting for the crowds to die down. I'm re-reading both Angels & Demons and DVC before I go. I think everyone should read A&D first because it sets up the idea of code breaking in the art etc. I've looked into the Illuminati mentioned in A&D and that's a big story of its own right.

Marklar MM
05-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm waiting for the crowds to die down. I'm re-reading both Angels & Demons and DVC before I go. I think everyone should read A&D first because it sets up the idea of code breaking in the art etc. I've looked into the Illuminati mentioned in A&D and that's a big story of its own right.

What crowds? I went for a 9:30 showing, and the place wasn't even packed.

McKenzie
05-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Really? My sister and I checked it out yesterday afternoon and it was tight. We prefer the middle of the room with no beehive hairdos in front of us. We don't go to late shows because we have to wake up at o'dark:30 for work. :madrun

Marklar MM
05-22-2006, 11:04 AM
^that could be why. :) Less people at night.

McKenzie
05-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah, too many people out on Sunday after brunch. Maybe some random Wednesday, right after work. But, I do want to re-read them anyway. It has been 2 years. I didn't realize that until just now.

I have the illustrated DVC. I read the plain jane one, then got this as a gift.

johnsmith
05-22-2006, 11:25 AM
I thought it was a good movie, not a great one. The book was excellent and if you read the book you get kind of annoyed by some of the stuff they left out of the movie. However, the movie would have been four hours if they explained everything. I thought Ron Howard did as a good a job as he could because there was no way the movie could live up to the book. I also don't understand why everyone is calling Tom Hanks "boring" in the movie, that was the character he was playing, an intellectual, not Indiana Jones.

CavsSuperFan
05-22-2006, 11:36 AM
I wanted to see it because of the controversy...I wish I spent my day doing something more useful like looking for Big-Foot or flying saucers.... :lol

I can’t believe that Ron Howard was involved in this non-sense....I stayed to watch the end credits fully expecting to see "Special Consultant Oliver Stone".... :smokin

JoeChalupa
05-22-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm going to finally give in and read the book but I think I'll read the book Jekka recommends first. Now I just need to find them at half-price books.

2Blonde
05-22-2006, 12:38 PM
I enjoyed the movie and so did my husband. I was worried about they would explain all the little nuances to people who hadn't read the book and still get it in to 2 hours. But they did a pretty good job. They found a way but I won't spoil it. They way they did the visualization with the artwork from the last supper was pretty cool.

I had read the book and my husband had not. He's pretty religious and attends mass with me every Sunday although he is not catholic (non-denominational). It didn't seem to offend his religious sensibilities. He thought the movie was entertaining and even watched a lot of the History channel specials yesterday on the Knights of Templar and the DVC.

JoeChalupa
05-22-2006, 02:16 PM
I enjoyed the movie and so did my husband. I was worried about they would explain all the little nuances to people who hadn't read the book and still get it in to 2 hours. But they did a pretty good job. They found a way but I won't spoil it. They way they did the visualization with the artwork from the last supper was pretty cool.

I had read the book and my husband had not. He's pretty religious and attends mass with me every Sunday although he is not catholic (non-denominational). It didn't seem to offend his religious sensibilities. He thought the movie was entertaining and even watched a lot of the History channel specials yesterday on the Knights of Templar and the DVC.

I watched those specials on THC yesterday too.

samikeyp
05-22-2006, 04:48 PM
so did I. Very good.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-22-2006, 06:39 PM
I think if you take it as the fiction that it is, it's pretty good.

McKenzie
05-22-2006, 06:47 PM

The Knights Templar was great stuff. I watched THC for hours the other night. Really good stuff. I teach English and History so this really gets me jazzed.

I read about 1/3 of Angels & Demons today. Yes, I know the ending, but I was looking for more of the hidden meanings and looking up the art/monuments mentioned. All in all, it's a great thought experiment. I love to have my brain engaged while reading. I read the who-done-it books, but this is far more fun. It leads one off to explore new areas, be it art, secret societies, the Church as a whole, codes....I love it.

TheDavinciCode
05-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Harry Potter has nothing on me.

alamo50
05-23-2006, 08:28 AM
:lol

Ok, that's my 1st laugh since we went fishin'.

Gerryatrics
05-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Don't the Knights Templar (not Knights of Templar) have some small part in the film? I haven't watched it, I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. I'm caving in and going to read the novel though. But yeah, I find the Knights Templar quite fascinating. At least the historical Knights Templar, people try to spice them up with gnosticism and occult practices, but I feel that backfires. I find real history quite interesting thank you, which is part of the reason I'm not buying into the Da Vinci Code hype.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/Templarius.jpg

easjer
05-23-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm so so on it. I enjoyed the book, but it did have major gaping holes. Movie is much the same. If you go into it in order to enjoy some entertainment, it's great. Even a little thought provoking, because although much of the evidence in support of sang real is suspicious at best, the idea of Jesus being married is not a new one. Exploring the implications of that idea (and the one thing with some support via the apocryphal scriptures of the Dead Sea scrolls) can be provoking enough without the major cover up by the Church. In fact it's the far more interesting of the 'scandals' as far as I am concerned.

As for the movie - I largely enjoyed it, though I agree with JT that the book read like a movie in the first place. You do NOT have to read Angels and Demons first - the movie does not refer to that at all, the backstory may complicate things if you've not read the DVC beforehand. They altered parts of the story, did a good job of toeing the line with the Church/Opus Dei (less antagonistic or judgmental than the book, imo). I thought the acting was pretty good, and I was impressed with what Ron Howard did visually to try and jam in as much explanation as he could.

For as much as I thought Tom Hanks was pretty good - I was too distracted by his hair and the wrinkly skin on his neck (it looked to me as if he'd had a face lift, and they hadn't drawn up or taken out any skin on his throat, thus highlighting it's wrinkliness) to give much thought to his performance.

I was disappointed with the end - it felt to me like it was going, going, going and BOOM sitting, dragging at the last 20 minutes or so, and the ending in Roslin I found absurd, unrealistic and disappointing. I vastly preferred the book there, it was more satisfying.

I'm not sorry we spent the money to see the movie, put it that way. Don't think I'll be adding it to my DVD collection, but worth seeing.

lilmads
05-23-2006, 09:10 PM
DVC the book is amazing. I loved it ever since I first read it and its so descriptive and detailed that you create the movie in your head itself. So watching the movie was good but the book was much better. I think that the hype and expectancy of the film really killed it for me.

1Parker1
05-23-2006, 09:10 PM
I was disappointed with the end - it felt to me like it was going, going, going and BOOM sitting, dragging at the last 20 minutes or so, and the ending in Roslin I found absurd, unrealistic and disappointing.

:tu HORRIBLY OVERRATED MOVIE. I can't even begin to tell you how much the book was better. Tom Hanks, I love him, but his acting was just average in this film. That's 2.5 hours of my life I'll never get back :depressed

My boyfriend literally FELL ASLEEP. Now I gotta go see MI 3 with him to make up for it...:lol

ALVAREZ6
05-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Don't people always say the book was better than the movie???

It really isn't a surprise in this case. How long did it take you to read the book, and how long did it take to watch the movie???

Shit will always get left out.

1Parker1
05-23-2006, 09:28 PM
You're right, the book is usually better. However, I just didn't see this movie made out the way it could have been. There really wasn't anything special about it that usually gives movies made from books an edge: the acting was so-so, the cinematography was so-so, the writing was so-so. The only thing I give credit for was that the casting director picked an obsolutely perfect guy to play the monk Silas. That guy is going to give me nightmares tonight. :oops

http://staff.theonering.net/xoanon/TDC/press/051217_DaVinciSilas_wide.standard.jpg

MannyIsGod
05-23-2006, 11:10 PM
I didn't really like it. I didn't realy like the book all that much either though. So much hype for what?

Cant_Be_Faded
05-23-2006, 11:16 PM
It has hype because people keep talking about it after they see it constantly mentioned on TV, see a Da Vinci Code Revealed special on history channel, or a Da Vinci Code DeCoded on Discovery, or read a comment about how the movie is being boycotted, etc
etc

etc

etc

1Parker1
05-24-2006, 10:53 AM
I didn't really like it. I didn't realy like the book all that much either though. So much hype for what?

You're right. My friends who saw it, hadn't read the book, and I think a lot of people misinterpreted what the film was truly about. I think they expected more action/suspense/drama etc. The secrets and codes were not built up enough in the movie, IMO, to warrant shocking/surprising the audience--which is what I think the average viewer was expecting.

McKenzie
05-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Don't the Knights Templar (not Knights of Templar) have some small part in the film? I haven't watched it, I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. I'm caving in and going to read the novel though. But yeah, I find the Knights Templar quite fascinating. At least the historical Knights Templar, people try to spice them up with gnosticism and occult practices, but I feel that backfires. I find real history quite interesting thank you, which is part of the reason I'm not buying into the Da Vinci Code hype.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/Templarius.jpg

Yes, there is a big part of the entire theory that centers on the Knights Templar. Earlier, someone said that reading Angels&Demons wasn't needed to see DVC. However, going back and getting background about the entire plot against the Church is suggested. A&D deals with the Illuminati, the Hassassian who is Illuminati and kills 4 Cardinals, thus setting up the entire idea of why Mary would flee, if in fact she was The Holy Grail.

I have 2 copies of A&D. In the second one, put out by Pocket Books. I quote, "What do you think I intend? I'm a descendant of Hassassain."

Langdon felt a shiver. He knew the name well. The church had made some deadly enemies through the years--the Hassassain, the Knights Templar, armies that had either been either hunted by the Vatican or betrayed by them" (Brown, 194).

It may not seem like you'll find valuable information in A&D, but you will. The plots are not tied, just the scheme of code breaking and the problems the Vatican had with secret societies.

JoeChalupa
05-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Why all the researching when this is fiction!? Is this like needing to watch the Star Wars episodes in the correct order to follow a work of fiction?
I guess I understand since I get really engrossed in my reading too.

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Since y'all think it sucked, it's probably an awesome movie. :tu

I'm just kidding (sort of) but I think a lot of people here don't just go to the movies for entertainment value. They get caught up in a lot of analyzing, comparing, etc.

In the words of Bruce Bowen, "It is what it is."

McKenzie
05-24-2006, 04:05 PM
LOL...true, very true. I always pick the movies at Blockbuster that "failed" at the box office and really enjoy them. :lol

MannyIsGod
05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
I expect more out of Movies than the same old thing. That doesn't mean I don't go for entertainment value, that jsut means I don't find the same old movies entertaining.

That being said, the DVC just wasn't very entertaining. The bad french accents mixed in with the weak twists and turns just made for a weak movie.

Vashner
05-24-2006, 04:15 PM
At least it's not Super Hero Part III etc...

Hollyweed is just cranking out some horrible movies recently.. I am tired of Superman and Spiderman.

And Stallone is doing like Rocky VI lol...

samikeyp
05-24-2006, 04:16 PM
The bad french accents mixed in with the weak twists and turns just made for a weak movie.

Which is sad because some of those people were really french! hahahahaha

Besides, I knew it was fiction...there was no mention of Manny and after all, Manny is God!

RESPECT HIS AUTHORITAH, BITCHES! MUHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA

JoeChalupa
05-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Heck, I still watch Ace Ventura: Pet Detective reruns on TBS.

MannyIsGod
05-24-2006, 04:20 PM
There was really no way for them to do the book well in a movie though. You can't take a written sequence on how they figured out the codes and translate it into a 30 second spot on the film. It just doesn't move over. You're left with some cheesy graphics and thinking that Tom Hanks is some kind of super genius.

Vashner
05-24-2006, 04:22 PM
I would like to see Tom and Richie Cunningham do the Alamo.

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 04:42 PM
I expect more out of Movies than the same old thing. That doesn't mean I don't go for entertainment value, that jsut means I don't find the same old movies entertaining.

That being said, the DVC just wasn't very entertaining. The bad french accents mixed in with the weak twists and turns just made for a weak movie.

You pretty much think every move is the same old thing. That's your writeup for about every movie, except for those stupid comedies you are so fond of. :lol

But you thought A Day Without A Mexican was an incredible movie ... and I thought it was the worst movie I've ever seen. So I guess it's just a matter of taste.

JoeChalupa
05-24-2006, 04:47 PM
I concur.

McKenzie
05-24-2006, 04:57 PM
There was really no way for them to do the book well in a movie though. You can't take a written sequence on how they figured out the codes and translate it into a 30 second spot on the film. It just doesn't move over. You're left with some cheesy graphics and thinking that Tom Hanks is some kind of super genius.

I recall screeching a resounding "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when I heard they were doing a movie. I remember all the lame ass ones that used to be half decent Stephen King books turned to rot by HollyWeird. King had to rip The Stand away from everyone and do his own mini-series and then re-did The Shining. That's pretty bad when the author needs to re-do one.

I don't know, you guys. I'm just hoping to see ONE movie in a theater this summer. Truth be told, I watch Ace Ventura and The Replacements when they come on just about every time. No way am I gonna go see Spiderman or XMen or King Kong. Bleck. There really isn't anything worth a crap out there. Anyone bother with Poseideon?

JoeChalupa
05-24-2006, 05:13 PM
I watch purely for the entertainment value if I want to do the movie critic thing I can do that too since it's all a matter of opinion.
I liked King Kong and will watch MI3 when it comes out on DVD. I haven't gone to the movies since Passion of the Christ.

MannyIsGod
05-24-2006, 05:17 PM
You pretty much think every move is the same old thing. That's your writeup for about every movie, except for those stupid comedies you are so fond of. :lol
Most of the movies I don't know where you got that from. The last movie I reccomended to the forum wasn't a comedy by any means (V for Vendetta)

I do think that most movies that come out now adays that are your typical movies have been done before. A ton of them are flat out remakes. I like origionality. If I want to see the Bad News Bears etc etc, I'll pop in a DVD.

But you thought A Day Without A Mexican was an incredible movie ... and I thought it was the worst movie I've ever seen. So I guess it's just a matter of taste. I never even watched the entire movie. I turned it off halfway through. Blaze is the one who told you that movie was classic, not me.
This is like the 4839043840 time you've confused us with that!

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 05:18 PM
I never even watched the entire movie. I turned it off halfway through. Blaze is the one who told you that movie was classic, not me.
This is like the 4839043840 time you've confused us with that!

I know. That's why said it again. So you would react.

MannyIsGod
05-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Fucking offseason.

McKenzie
05-24-2006, 05:34 PM
NO SHIT. Off Season blows.

Shit, I may watch my DVD of The Replacements tonight. I love it when they shoot up Martel's car and Falco is wearing his wild yam lotion. LOL

Hell, maybe I'll keep re-reading Angels&Demons. Then, of course, there IS the possibility of finding a dart tourney on cable. :rolleyes

Cant_Be_Faded
05-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Why anyone would watch this movie instead of reading a newspaper or blogging is beyond me.

If this movie didn't have the Tom Hanks factor I bet it would score 20% on the rottentomatoes.com freshness score.

McKenzie
05-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Dude, I just mowed my lawn, which blows more than any movie possibly could.

1Parker1
05-25-2006, 10:14 AM
Since y'all think it sucked, it's probably an awesome movie. :tu

:lol I'm insulted, Kori. Actually, I was thinking we have somewhat-similiar (good) taste in movies. After all, we're probably one of the only few people in the world who thinks Forrest Gump sucked and was over-rated :tu

Spurminator
05-30-2006, 09:46 AM
I give it a solid "meh".

I haven't read the book because I was waiting to see the movie first. But after seeing the movie, I didn't really find the story interesting enough to bother with the book. I may have spoiled it for myself by watching too many specials on the Dan Brown Channel (er, The History Channel) so I already knew a lot of the "eureka" moments. But storywise, too many twists... I half expected Tom Hanks to find out he was really Sophia's brother at the end and that he had a child he didn't know about, and that child was the Second Coming.

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 10:20 AM
I half expected Tom Hanks to find out he was really Sophia's brother at the end and that he had a child he didn't know about, and that child was the Second Coming.

:lmao

MaNuMaNiAc
05-30-2006, 11:18 AM
The movie sucked!! That French actress can't act worth shit. Plus the story was a stretch from start to finish... granted I think the bible is an even bigger stretch, but nevertheless, I didn't like the movie.

kris
05-30-2006, 11:38 AM
I listened to the audio book before watching the movie and the clock watchers were pretty much right. I found myself checking to see what the movie had/did not have rather than watching the movie in itself. It was on the bad side of good, but probably should have been left to book form.

It's pretty hard to knock the movie though, because for such a time condensed portrayal, it stuck to the plot line pretty closely. The movie was supposed to be a remake of the book, and it was that. It's just that a lot of the stuff from the book was better reading than it was watching.

On my ranking scale the movie gets a C+ for being average/good. It really didn't help that I knew what was supposed to happen from beginning to end, so it could have possibly been a B- for those not privileged to the book.

I don't know why people complain about the characters because they acted pretty much the same as the characters in the book.

I also saw Poseidon a few weeks ago. That movie recieved a solid B.

PS I am like Kori in that I watch a movie just to watch it. I don't get caught up in the acting and all the artistic whatever else.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-30-2006, 05:56 PM
[SPOILER]

I ended up seeing it (not by choice...)

It was mediocre. The suspense was there, but for the astute movie-watcher with no knowledge of the book, it was obvious that the chick was the last survivor of jesus' family, and also very obvious that Magneto was the Teacher.
Meh.

midgetonadonkey
06-03-2006, 02:09 AM
God this movie sucked. Acting was terrible, they didn't go into detail the way the book did. Fuck I was disappointed. The book is kickass, the movie sucks panda asshole.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Plus didn't they make it way too obvious that chick was the last survivor of christ

TheTruth
06-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Watched it last night, and I was literally falling asleep. If they guys next to me weren't jumping every time the albino jumped out of the shadows I would have been snoring.

mookie2001
06-03-2006, 11:20 AM
cbf you make manny look like mr dio

MissAllThat
06-06-2006, 07:03 PM
I've decided Dennis Quaid would have been a much better choice than Tom Hanks.

SpursWoman
06-13-2006, 08:58 AM
The book was much more suspenseful to me. To put it in other words, the book is 500 pgs, I hate reading more than anything, and I read the book in 2 nights. I was begging for the movie to be over. It just wasn't the same.

This is what I'm afraid of. I just finished the book (but I love reading :lol). It was fantastic. I just can't see how the movie can even come close.

And after reading through the whole thread, it's pretty obvious it didn't. I'll just go ahead and keep my fond memories of the book. Stephen King is my favorite author of all-time, and it totally kills me how they've bastardized every one of his books in film.

Marcus Bryant
06-13-2006, 09:31 AM
If you didn't read the book, you would probably be lost. On the whole, it was a nice movie. I think the cinematography was great, but overall the story felt jumbled. It was fairly long, but I I don't feel like the story was that well developed in the movie. I had the book as my basis, so on the whole it was enjoyable.

I do believe that the cast selections were excellent. When I was reading the book I had pictured the actors who were selected to play those roles ( I already knew Hanks would be Langdon - he's definitely the first actor who comes to mind to play that part) with the exception of Teabing ( I was thinking maybe Jeffrey Jones - principal from Ferris Bueller's Day Off). But McKellen did a great job.