PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh...bad financial news

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2006, 07:58 AM
India stock market opened down 10% after dropping 10% last week...this shit travels fast in the world economy...conditions are eerily similar to 1987...this is not going to be a good day on Wall Street.

T Park
05-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Bush's fault I'm sure.

Vashner
05-22-2006, 11:18 AM
We have politics forum for crapola like this.

But T's right..

Fuckn haters will Blame Bush... Look there is a sore on your testicles.. Bush did it!!

TDMVPDPOY
05-22-2006, 01:07 PM
stock market has been shit all week imo. newbies intending to get into the market should invest now since prices of stocks are decreasing. The only reason of stocks doin so well is the energy/natural resources pushing prices up which is worster than actual performance of the market and inflation combined.

CavsSuperFan
05-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Cosmic...Does this mean that Dell can afford to hire back all those laid off Texan Computer Technicians...I really would like to be able to get that gal back on the phone who would say Yee-haw we gonna get you fixed up in no time....

I find all of this out sourcing to India absurd....Ross Perot warned us about this, but nooooooo, you all wanted to talk about his daughter! :madrun

tlongII
05-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Time for the Cowboy to stick to the barbeque sauce. Indian financial markets are not a particularly relevant indicator for the NYSE.

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Time for the Cowboy to stick to the barbeque sauce. Indian financial markets are not a particularly relevant indicator for the NYSE.

Times are changing TLong...look at the European closes. Billions just dissapeared today. This shit is like the bird flu...

http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=europe

MannyIsGod
05-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Time for the Cowboy to stick to the barbeque sauce. Indian financial markets are not a particularly relevant indicator for the NYSE.I'm pretty sure India is a growing force in the world economy where losts of investment is taking place. If they drop that much in 2 weeks it is going to have ripple effects.

tlongII
05-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Times are changing TLong...look at the European closes. Billions just dissapeared today. This shit is like the bird flu...

http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=europe

The Dow is down about 22 points right now which is not much. The impact would have been felt by now.

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2006, 02:58 PM
European shares at 5-mth lows, track global slump
Mon May 22, 2006 11:51 AM ET

LONDON, May 22 (Reuters) - European stocks tumbled nearly 3 percent on Monday to end at their lowest in five months, hit by weakness in oil and mining issues as commodity prices fell, while also tracking a slump in global equity markets.

The pan-European FTSEurofirst index <.FTEU3> of 300 leading shares was down 2.8 percent at an unofficial close of 1,270.5 points, its lowest since mid-December and dipping into negative territory for 2006.

The losses came as U.S. markets fell as inflation worries persisted and the global commodities rout dragged down heavily weighed benchmark stocks. Earlier, Tokyo's Nikkei average <.N225> also lost nearly 2 percent.

The FTSEurofirst index has lost more than 10 percent from a near-five year high of 1,407.5 points struck on May 11 and is now down 0.4 percent so far this year.

More than 3.8 billion shares were traded on Monday, higher than average daily volumes of about 3.5 billion shares so far this year.

The losses in the markets came after the FTSEurofirst index fell 4 percent last week, suffering its worst weekly percentage drop since March 2003, on inflation and interest rate worries.

On Monday, stock market falls were sharp and severe around the region.

Russian shares were bashed down so heavily the MICEX stock exchange suspended trade at 1430 GMT after intraday losses of more than 8.5 percent, while Warsaw's stock exchange suffered one of its biggest points falls on record, with the large-cap WIG 20 index <.WIG20> ending down 5.6 percent at a six-week low.

Benchmark stocks in Athens <.ATG> and Vienna <.ATX> suffered similar falls as the region's bigger bourses sank to multi-month lows.
© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2006, 03:00 PM
The Dow is down about 22 points right now which is not much. The impact would have been felt by now.

http://teatromagicosoloparalocos.blogspirit.com/images/medium_gene_kelly_-_singing_in_the_rain.jpg

tlongII
05-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Dow(djia) 11123.00 -21.06

Nasdaq 2172.43 -21.45

tlongII
05-22-2006, 03:04 PM
European shares at 5-mth lows, track global slump
Mon May 22, 2006 11:51 AM ET

LONDON, May 22 (Reuters) - European stocks tumbled nearly 3 percent on Monday to end at their lowest in five months, hit by weakness in oil and mining issues as commodity prices fell, while also tracking a slump in global equity markets.

The pan-European FTSEurofirst index <.FTEU3> of 300 leading shares was down 2.8 percent at an unofficial close of 1,270.5 points, its lowest since mid-December and dipping into negative territory for 2006.

The losses came as U.S. markets fell as inflation worries persisted and the global commodities rout dragged down heavily weighed benchmark stocks. Earlier, Tokyo's Nikkei average <.N225> also lost nearly 2 percent.

The FTSEurofirst index has lost more than 10 percent from a near-five year high of 1,407.5 points struck on May 11 and is now down 0.4 percent so far this year.

More than 3.8 billion shares were traded on Monday, higher than average daily volumes of about 3.5 billion shares so far this year.

The losses in the markets came after the FTSEurofirst index fell 4 percent last week, suffering its worst weekly percentage drop since March 2003, on inflation and interest rate worries.

On Monday, stock market falls were sharp and severe around the region.

Russian shares were bashed down so heavily the MICEX stock exchange suspended trade at 1430 GMT after intraday losses of more than 8.5 percent, while Warsaw's stock exchange suffered one of its biggest points falls on record, with the large-cap WIG 20 index <.WIG20> ending down 5.6 percent at a six-week low.

Benchmark stocks in Athens <.ATG> and Vienna <.ATX> suffered similar falls as the region's bigger bourses sank to multi-month lows.
© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/ARP/ARP104/Reaper.jpg

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2006, 03:14 PM
TLong...I am not playing the grim reaper role but this shit does not look good. You are old enough to remember '87. It started like this in the spring and the real mushroom cloud didn't go up till September.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2006, 03:21 PM
It's true . . . I can't get anybody to answer at Customer Service!

1Parker1
05-22-2006, 03:28 PM
^:lmao :lmao

MannyIsGod
05-22-2006, 03:40 PM
It's true . . . I can't get anybody to answer at Customer Service!:lmao

Spurminator
05-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Investing for Dummies help here... So if I have a significant portion of my 401K in a Diversified International Fund, should I move it?

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2006, 04:12 PM
That is such a hard question to answer. It depends on a lot of factors like your age, etc. I'm really not qualified to advise you but I would definitely be nervous. High growth stuff can become high loss stuff very fast.

Spurminator
05-22-2006, 04:15 PM
:lol Don't worry I wouldn't make any decisions without consulting a variety of people. But it probably couldn't hurt to put it into a Stable fund for a couple of months to see what happens. Thanks for your input.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Investing for Dummies help here... So if I have a significant portion of my 401K in a Diversified International Fund, should I move it?Well, I'll tell you what the John Bogle answer is: no, unless your long-term allocation plans have changed or you think that particular Fund is not good.

He preaches, and I pretty much follow, that you can't sucessfully market time over the long haul, and so the best approach is to find a good fund with low costs (ideally an index fund, per him) and dollar cost average.

1Parker1
05-22-2006, 06:29 PM
That is such a hard question to answer. It depends on a lot of factors like your age, etc. I'm really not qualified to advise you but I would definitely be nervous. High growth stuff can become high loss stuff very fast.

No. Greater the risk, greater the return, Finance 101 :)

Nbadan
05-23-2006, 01:54 AM
The equity markets have lost billions in value in the last few days, very similar to 1987. The difference of course will be that after 1987 it only took months for the market to regain the value it lost. What we face today is conditions were we could have an economy strangled by high debt, continuously rising interest rates, and a FED reserve board without the necessary mechanisms to prime us out of economic stagflation.

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2006, 10:14 PM
stocks just rebounded overnight :( damn shouldve went in and bought sum when they were doin bad for the last couple of dayz, mustve been teh spurs effect :(

2centsworth
05-23-2006, 11:39 PM
continuously rising interest rates, and a FED reserve board without the necessary mechanisms to prime us out of economic stagflation.

Do you even realize there's a contradiction in that statement?

ShoogarBear
05-24-2006, 07:12 AM
No. Greater the risk, greater the return, Finance 101 :)
Greater the risk, the greater the POTENTIAL return. Also the greater the potential loss.

If what you said was true, investing would be easy.

1Parker1
05-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Greater the risk, the greater the POTENTIAL return. Also the greater the potential loss.

If what you said was true, investing would be easy.

It is true. However, whether or not you decide to follow on it depends on whether you are a risk averse or risk seeking individual.

MannyIsGod
05-24-2006, 04:17 PM
It is true. However, whether or not you decide to follow on it depends on whether you are a risk averse or risk seeking individual.Its amazing to me how much this is like poker. I guess any mechanism where you risk money to make money has the same principles.

In general, all things being equal a risk seeing individual will see a greater return over the long haul, but there is always the risk of ruin.

2centsworth
05-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Its amazing to me how much this is like poker. I guess any mechanism where you risk money to make money has the same principles.

In general, all things being equal a risk seeing individual will see a greater return over the long haul, but there is always the risk of ruin.
except in Poker the majority of players are net losers(that's why it's juicy for winners) while most long term investors are net winners dating back since the civil war.

ShoogarBear
05-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Its amazing to me how much this is like poker. I guess any mechanism where you risk money to make money has the same principles.

However, there is one huge diference in the analogy to poker.

In poker, you can do things (raise, fold) that directly influence what others do. And you money is a big fraction of the total pool.

In investing/speculating, unless you're Bill Gates, what you do has no effect on what happens to others; you can't affect whether prices go up or down and you're just along for the ride.

ShoogarBear
05-24-2006, 05:03 PM
It is true. However, whether or not you decide to follow on it depends on whether you are a risk averse or risk seeking individual.

It is potentially true. It is not always true.

It is just as truthful to say the greater the risk, the greater the loss. Just ask all the people who were in internet stocks in 2000.

MannyIsGod
05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Damnit, I can't tell 2cents and 1P1 apart!

2centsworth
05-24-2006, 05:14 PM
Damnit, I can't tell 2cents and 1P1 apart!
LOL, don't know who used it first but I'll change it soon.

ShoogarBear
05-24-2006, 05:39 PM
1P1's avatar sucks. Yours is okay, 2cents.

McKenzie
05-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Well, I'll tell you what the John Bogle answer is: no, unless your long-term allocation plans have changed or you think that particular Fund is not good.

He preaches, and I pretty much follow, that you can't sucessfully market time over the long haul, and so the best approach is to find a good fund with low costs (ideally an index fund, per him) and dollar cost average.

Damn. I'm glad I have a financial advisor who tells it to me in dumb-ass lingo.

"Get rid of the lease car, buy this stock, sell it now, save your cash...." This crap makes me nervous. The last time I sat down to watch stock readouts, 2 fucking planes hit the World Trade Center and my partner lost $350,000 in 15 minutes. :depressed

ShoogarBear
05-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Damn. I'm glad I have a financial advisor who tells it to me in dumb-ass lingo.

"Get rid of the lease car, buy this stock, sell it now, save your cash...." This crap makes me nervous. The last time I sat down to watch stock readouts, 2 fucking planes hit the World Trade Center and my partner lost $350,000 in 15 minutes. :depressed

Geez, I reread what I wrote and it really did sound like a load of mumbo jumbo crapola, didn't it?

Believe me, I'm no financial whiz. Evrything I know about investing I learned from morningstar.com over the past 8 years.

2centsworth
05-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Evrything I know about investing I learned from morningstar.com

you're doomed.

1Parker1
05-25-2006, 10:04 AM
1P1's avatar sucks. Yours is okay, 2cents.

:flipoff

Sorry Manny...I have my avatars turned off...I hadn't realized 2cents copied off me :)

1Parker1
05-25-2006, 10:08 AM
It is potentially true. It is not always true.

It is just as truthful to say the greater the risk, the greater the loss. Just ask all the people who were in internet stocks in 2000.

Where did I say that it's always true? Like you said in your earlier post...no one can successfully market time over the long haul. However, generally speaking, that's one of the most basic principles people follow in the stock market.

And of course you're right about the greater the risk, the greater the potential loss......hence the "Risk" part.

tlongII
05-25-2006, 10:32 AM
:flipoff

Sorry Manny...I have my avatars turned off...I hadn't realized 2cents copied off me :)

You could always go back to your bravatar! :angel

1Parker1
05-25-2006, 03:19 PM
^:lol But then I'd be the only female with it. And then when new members join...they'd think I'm the forum slut or something.

ShoogarBear
05-25-2006, 03:22 PM
You could change your title to "$3561 per night" :angel

(hoping you read that thread or I'm really in for it)

1Parker1
05-25-2006, 03:36 PM
You could change your title to "$3561 per night" :angel

(hoping you read that thread or I'm really in for it)

What thread??????????????? Have you been talking about me, behind my back?

ShoogarBear
05-25-2006, 03:49 PM
What thread??????????????? Have you been talking about me, behind my back?

Well, we can't see your front anymore . . .

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42454

1Parker1
05-25-2006, 09:36 PM
:lmao :lmao How did I miss that? I walked right into that one...