PDA

View Full Version : The rest of the sports world can just wait

Jimcs50
10-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Starting tomorrow, like it or not, 95% of all the sports world's attention will be directed at this epic matchup. Since the start of the 2002 season, the Yankees and Red Sox have met 64 times in reg and post season and each has 32 wins and 32 losses. What even adds more drama to this is each team has won 9 times in that stretch, in their last at bat. :wow

Yes there will be another matchup in the NL,( Cards and ?) yes there will be football going on, but they all take a back seat to this series. I do not see how this series can live up to last season's drama. Starting with the bench clearing brawl, including Pedro throwing Don Zimmer to the side after the old guy charges after him in the melay, and ending with Boston blowing a 3 run lead in the 8th inning in game 7, and finally losing(once again) in the 11th inning on Aaron Fucking Boone's walkoff homerun. This year will be different, I can feel it in my bones. I say Red Sox in six. And that is for one reason and one reason only., and that is hey have the better team. So while the Red Sox and Yankees still are more than a full day away from yet another apocalyptic postseason meeting ( this is three times in six years that the world will come to an end( :) let us look at this in strictly analytical terms. When they faced off in 1999 and again last year, New York had the better pitching staff. That is an advantage the Yankees no longer possess, no matter how optimisticx their followers might be.
Betsy, Duff and others are are going to rely on the alleged fact that the Yankees have some spell over the Red Sox....I say bullshit.
Just as people in New York have a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the Yankees, Red Sox Nation knows its team better than anyone. Most people who follow the Sox will pick their team simply because they know how good it is. The Red Sox are 37-12 in their past 49 games dating to Aug. 16, that is better than TPark's Cards, better than my other team, the Astros. New Yorkers? They will pick the Yankees, largely because the Yankees always seem to find ways to win. New York possesses a certain intangible, particularly at Yankee Stadium, as the Red Sox learned in Game 7 a year ago. Anyone who watched the Yankees come back in Games 2 and 4 of their ALDS against the Minnesota Twins can see that. In October, especially in the Bronx, the Yankees die hard. And so if it once again comes to a clinching game in the Bronx, do not for a second believe that any Red Sox pitcher is going to breeze through the seventh, eighth or ninth inning, the Yank batter as I said earlier make pitchers work their asses off to get them out. Even though both Mike Mussina and Jon Lieber have been better than average against the Sox, the obvious edge in those matchups goes to Schilling and Martinez. Those fucking ghosts????? There always is a lot of talk about them when the Yankees and Red Sox meet, which makes for cute storylines in places other than Boston and New York. But the truth was, we all know, was the Yankees have beaten the Red Sox all these years because they always have had better pitching. This year the edge goes to Boston big time. The Yankees need their ghosts more than ever before this year, and to you Yank fans, that should be a very, very scary thing. Boooooo. :)

bigzak25
10-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Go RedSox!!! :smokin

JFK
10-11-2004, 07:08 PM
This might be the year the Red Sox win.
The Yanks have trouble figuring out Schilling

dcole50
10-11-2004, 07:46 PM
I'll say Red Sox in 7, but I still have this strange feeling that New York will find a way to win the series, even though I don't believe they are nearly as good of a team.

And I'm one of few that doesn't care about this series. I don't love the Sox either. I don't see them as loveable losers. I see them as a team trying to copy the Yanks by having the second highest payroll in the league.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-11-2004, 08:00 PM
http://www.pophouse.com/site_images/small_photo/831s_~Boston-Red-Sox-Chenille-Emb.jpg

jalbre6
10-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Not really caring too much about either team, all I can say is that if the Red Sox beat the Yankees, I really hope they win it all. How much fun would it be to watch all those crazy drunks, second-tier movie stars, and horror writers going batshit? Fun, fun, fun. A close second for fun would to watch another snakebit franchise (Houston, anyone?) knock off the Yankees.

T Park
10-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Id like to see Boston win, but youve got to have the STRANGEST feeling that the Yankees will somehow pull out a win. Theyll somehow enact the curse.

THAT BEING SAID! Im taking the Red Sox.

BTW Jim, your best record since August 16, better than Cardinals?

The Cardinals clinched the division in the middle of the second week of September.

Big whoop.

The Red Sox had stuff to play for throughout September.

Hard to compare stuff like that.

pooh
10-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Go Red Sox

Jimcs50
10-11-2004, 11:08 PM
TPark, your Cardinals have no shot to beat Boston, you better wish for Yankees and their pitching prowess, or lack there of. This is Boston's year.

Besides, I've a feeling that it will be my two teams, Astros and Red Sox in the WS this year(what should have been in 86)