PDA

View Full Version : Avery's "bodyguard" comment

DarrinS
05-22-2006, 09:32 AM
What was up with that???

Was he worried that the Mavs fans were going to turn against him? Cuban? Nah, not Cuban, he's a giant puss.

Anyway, any thoughts?

pache100
05-22-2006, 09:32 AM
What was up with that???

Was he worried that the Mavs fans were going to turn against him? Cuban? Nah, not Cuban, he's a giant puss.

Anyway, any thoughts?

I didn't hear it, what was the remark?

Ginofan
05-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Link?

DarrinS
05-22-2006, 09:37 AM
It was during his post-game remarks. Avery was about to say something about the refs, but he stopped himself. Then he motioned to someone off-camera and said, "That's my bodyguard. He's here for a reason.".

WTF??

Solid D
05-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Maybe his wife was in the back giving him the "zip-it" evil eye.

pache100
05-22-2006, 09:41 AM
It was during his post-game remarks. Avery was about to say something about the refs, but he stopped himself. Then he motioned to someone off-camera and said, "That's my bodyguard. He's here for a reason.".

WTF??

I missed that remark. I do recall him saying, "Can I say that? No? Ok, I can't say that." and he was talking to someone who was off-camera. I thought it was either some team rep (that Cuban had sent in with him to keep him on the Cuban straight and narrow - iow, to keep him from saying anything remotely complimentary about the Spurs, the Spurs fans, or the city of San Antonio), or he that he was kidding, that there wasn't anyone really there and he was not asking permission to speak. Maybe he was kidding about the "bodyguard" thing and was referring to this myserious person.

DarrinS
05-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Link?

You can go to NBA.com, click on "Playoffs home" and the video is under "NBA TV Broadband" under "Western Conference". There is a video link for "SAS-DAL Gm 6 postgame".

fyatuk
05-22-2006, 09:42 AM
I missed that remark. I do recall him saying, "Can I say that? No? Ok, I can't say that." and he was talking to someone who was off-camera. I thought it was either some team rep (that Cuban had sent in with him to keep him on the Cuban straight and narrow - iow, to keep him from saying anything remotely complimentary about the Spurs, the Spurs fans, or the city of San Antonio), or he that he was kidding, that there wasn't anyone really there and he was not asking permission to speak. Maybe he was kidding about the "bodyguard" thing and was referring to this myserious person.

I think it was some rep. paid by Avery telling him to shut up since he was about to say something that would get him fined by the league.

Trainwreck2100
05-22-2006, 09:42 AM

WTF??

Why didn't you post this two days ago? He was about to bitch about the refs and his assistant coach stopped him, it was obviously rehearsed

Ginofan
05-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Everyone has pretty much said it already but yeah, i think the term "bodygaurd" wasn't meant literally. Just a guy who told him he couldn't say something about the officiating because he was about to get fined for his comments.

pache100
05-22-2006, 09:45 AM
I think it was some rep. paid by Avery telling him to shut up since he was about to say something that would get him fined by the league.

That crossed my mind, too. Maybe that's what he was referring to as his "bodyguard". I really don't think he meant he felt he needs someone to protect him physically.

Mavtek
05-22-2006, 10:23 AM
According to David Lord, guy who writes for DallasBasketball.com, the league sent in representatives to monitor the Mavericks media appearances (s) after they handed down the suspension for Jason Terry.

Supposedly they were around for both pre-game and post game media conferences. It was mentioned on 1310 last night. I believe Avery was referring to one of these "representatives".

DarrinS
05-22-2006, 11:03 AM
According to David Lord, guy who writes for DallasBasketball.com, the league sent in representatives to monitor the Mavericks media appearances (s) after they handed down the suspension for Jason Terry.

Supposedly they were around for both pre-game and post game media conferences. It was mentioned on 1310 last night. I believe Avery was referring to one of these "representatives".

After listening to it again, that makes sense.

SA210
05-22-2006, 11:08 AM
I do recall him saying, "Can I say that? No? Ok, I can't say that."
That was a tactic Avery used to make him seem like a victim of bad officiating. He was acting dumb and knew what he was doing. Bad acting job. I wasn't fooled by that sorry attempt. When he did that, I just :rolleyes.

pache100
05-22-2006, 11:31 AM
That was a tactic Avery used to make him seem like a victim of bad officiating. He was acting dumb and knew what he was doing. Bad acting job. I wasn't fooled by that sorry attempt. When he did that, I just :rolleyes.

Yeah, I know that. But he really was talking to someone, because you could hear then answer him.

nkdlunch
05-22-2006, 11:33 AM
If you have the balls to talk shit about officiating DO IT, if you don't SHUT UP. Avery basically said, I wish I could talk bad but I'm a bitch, so I won't. Lame

boutons_
05-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Avery is not very articulate, but a lot better than dubya.
He should have said "monitor" or "censor", not the totally inappropriate "bodyguard".

ploto
05-22-2006, 11:43 AM
He said- Joe- I assumed it was Joe Prunty.

mando6599
05-22-2006, 12:34 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. I've lost a ton of respect for AJ in this series for pulling stunts like that. It's no longer cute and it wasn't funny. It's just his way of saying the officiating stunk without actually saying it. But it's classless and "whiney" and that tells me his owner is rubbing off onto AJ.

The thing that bothers me is that the Spurs maybe do complain or whine some, but it takes place IN GAME! There's nothing wrong with "working" the refs during a game as long as you can elude a Techical. Coaches and players alike! But after the game it shouldn't take place even though I know it does.
It becomes more of a crutch when it happens after the game or before the next game.

mando

midgetonadonkey
05-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Avery is a douche.

clubalien
05-22-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't get it spurs fans say mavs have no class because they boo finely, but then they go insult AJ. Either their differnt parts of spurs fans or just two faced.

Hook Dem
05-22-2006, 02:07 PM
I don't get it spurs fans say mavs have no class because they boo finely, but then they go insult AJ. Either their differnt parts of spurs fans or just two faced.
Finley hasn't been spouting off like Avery!