PDA

View Full Version : web based phone

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2006, 10:25 AM
anyone switched?

what do you like? what do you not like?

I am looking at that Vonage 24.95 unlimited calling plan.

anyone have any experience with that company?

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2006, 10:43 AM
also, a technical question...is the signal strength as strong as the SBC signal?

I have my house wired with a central phone junction box...the SBC line comes in there and then I have multiple lines going from there to 6 other phones...

is the signal strength strong enough for me to disconnect the sbc line and then run the web based feed back into one of the extensions and drive the network?

leemajors
05-22-2006, 11:23 AM
i had vonage, but switched to the time warner bundled one. vonage ends up being $40 after all the fees - here in austin i can get digi cable with dvr, digi phone, and roadchomper for $140/month. saved me about 10 to 15 bucks a month, and their phone modem is integrated into the cable modem. i still have the linksys vonage modem if you wanna buy it for cheap, but you can get a full rebate on those things anyway. not sure about the last part of your question, but i think it would depend on your cable signal strength. i don't really use the home phone, it's for my woman - she hates cell phones.

Vashner
05-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Dude your talking about digital phones.. if the connection is up and running it will be clear. It's not analog or wireless.

johnsmith
05-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Vashner, I said get off your Soapbox.

Vashner
05-22-2006, 01:47 PM
I gave him the no bullshit answer he needs. You got anything but Bush basher like insults? That's what I thought... No go back to your wal mart greeter job.

DOCSIS 2.0 (time warner) DSL if they are up and running then the phone is digital clear. If you have a problem you call them they fix it.

Get whatever is cheapest unless you want the consolidated billing.

johnsmith
05-22-2006, 01:50 PM
I always get a kick out of people insulting others over the internet regarding employment. Listen Vashner, it's obvious that you are unemployed just based soley on your post count. What I'm really tired of is you thinking you are the voice of reason. I've come to this site for a month or two now and you are constantly doing so. Anyone that spends as much time in front of the internet as you do is not the voice of reason, they are unemployed and enjoy Marvel comics and Dorito's.

JoeChalupa
05-22-2006, 02:59 PM
We have digital phone but I think we're going to drop it since I have to have a land-line to telecommute from work.

leemajors
05-22-2006, 04:47 PM
We have digital phone but I think we're going to drop it since I have to have a land-line to telecommute from work.

yeah my girlfriend's dad works from home for IBM most of the time, and he cancelled his - he couldn't rely on it for conferencing. i haven't had a dropped call problem myself.