PDA

View Full Version : Silver Stars rip Comets in opener

spurschick
05-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Silver Stars rip Comets in opener
Natalie England
Express-News Staff Writer
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/wnba/silverstars/stories/MYSA052206.05D.SILVER_STARS_gamer.d005c0b.html

HOUSTON — Silver Stars rookie Shanna Zolman pulled up for a baseline jumper early in the second half and was fouled by the Houston Comets' Dawn Staley.

As Zolman scooted to the foul line, Staley — agitated by the call — lingered to chew on the referee's ear: "She's not at Tennessee anymore," Staley said.

But Zolman looked as comfortable for the Silver Stars as she did in college, coming off the bench to score 15 points and help push the Silver Stars to a 79-63 season-opening victory before 10,952 at the Toyota Center.

Zolman's WNBA debut was overshadowed only by veteran guard Vickie Johnson's first appearance with the team. Johnson, who played nine seasons in New York before signing with the Silver Stars during the offseason, scored a team-high 18 points and matched point guard Shannon Johnson with four assists.

Rookie Sophia Young had a double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds, while Shannon Johnson added 12 points and three steals.

"It was good to see us have some consistency," Silver Stars coach Dan Hughes said. "This is a good start for us."

The Silver Stars focused the final week of training camp on defense and rebounding, and their opener offered results. Houston was limited to 43-percent shooting, and the Silver Stars held a 40-24 rebounding edge.

"It's all about attacking," Vickie Johnson said. "Defense doesn't end until you're holding the ball."

The Silver Stars, who had lost their previous nine games dating to last year, never trailed by more than three points and grabbed the lead for good on LaToya Thomas' jumper with 4:26 to play in the first quarter.

"San Antonio out-played us and out-coached us in every phase of the game," Comets coach Van Chancellor said.

Houston's Sheryl Swoopes led all scorers with 19 points on 7-of-10 shooting, but only two other Comets scored in double figures.

Young matched up for most of the game against 10-year veteran Tina Thompson. Thompson scored five points in the first two minutes but went scoreless after that, missing her next 10 shots.

"I tried to not to think about (Houston's) personnel and experience," Young said. "I figured if I thought about it too much, I would change the way I played."

Zolman, too, was true to the game plan that helped her become the best 3-point shooter in Tennessee history. Against the Comets, Zolman made 5 of 7 shots, 3 of 3 on 3-pointers.

"I was happy for (Zolman)," Hughes said. "She worked hard to get herself open."

And Zolman did most of that work with Staley in her face — which wasn't lost on the first-year player.

"I've watched her on TV forever, and I played against her (team) in college," Zolman said of Staley, who is Temple's coach. "It was kind of strange."

davi78239
05-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey, maybe they'll finally be good this year. They've had a tough break with injuries in the past, so maybe this will be the year they finally break through.

samikeyp
05-22-2006, 11:27 PM
:tu

pache100
05-23-2006, 08:19 AM
And it was the Houston frickin' Comets! http://i4.tinypic.com/10gfk9e.gif

Horry For 3!
05-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I guess basketball fans will have to watch the Silver Stars since Spurs are out of the playoffs:depressed

CubanMustGo
05-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Is this the first time in team history the Silver Stars have been tied for first? :lol