PDA

View Full Version : Now Del Harris is whining about Duncan publicly, too

CubanMustGo
05-22-2006, 12:51 PM
This little blurb was in the "notebook (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/052206dnspomavsbriefs.d45a0c1.html)" of today's Dallas Boring News:

Stop whining: Mavericks assistant coach Del Harris has some advice for the Spurs' Tim Duncan: He's better than this.

Harris believes Duncan should curtail his habit of jawing with referees after perceived bad calls.

"He's just too good a player to be complaining on every call," Harris said Sunday. "He's one of the top 25 or 30 players in the history of the game. He doesn't need to do that."

Duncan took exception to Harris' analysis and shouted toward the Mavericks' bench on a couple of occasions Friday in Game 6.

"I just don't think great players should try to show refs up often," Harris said. "And it sets a bad example for young players."

Duncan has shot 67 free throws in the six games, more than any other player in the series. Dirk Nowitzki has 64 free throws.

And I believe that Harris, Cuban, Avery, et al should focus on their players instead of slamming the opponent in the press.

nbascribe
05-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Hmmm, sometimes your own advice is worth a trillion words.

Will somebody tell Phil Donahue that Oprah surpassed him a long time ago?

DuncanInYourFace
05-22-2006, 12:55 PM
LOL, sounds like the Dallas coaching staff is getting desperate.

I never heard the Spurs coaching staff complain AT ALL when we were down 3-1

Spurminator
05-22-2006, 12:55 PM
The only thing I disagree with is Harris' ranking of Duncan in the top 25-30.

bigglendiesel
05-22-2006, 12:57 PM
i can't wait to shut em all up tonight... or i'm guessing their true lameness will show and they will probably whine and complain more than ever after tonights devastating loss... man i can't wait... i don't have tivo or a vcr, but the game and post game interviews should be classic... Lets get ready to RUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpursWoman
05-22-2006, 12:58 PM
And I believe that Harris, Cuban, Avery, et al should focus on their players instead of slamming the opponent in the press.

:tu

It's game 7, you'd think they'd have better things to do.

pache100
05-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Give me a break! It is none of Del's business what any Spurs player does at any time, as long as he's not fouling one of the Mavs. Those coaches up there need to mind their own frickin' business and quit trying to run this team down here. Neither of them have any ties to this team any longer. gtfo!

LOL, sounds like the Dallas coaching staff is getting desperate.

I never heard the Spurs coaching staff complain AT ALL when we were down 3-1

:tu

TwoHandJam
A 2 time MVP and 3 time finals MVP who plays in the post has taken only 3 more FTs than a 7 footer playing like a small forward that prefers jumpers. Yeah, I guess Harris has reason to be annoyed. :rolleyes

GMAFB

CosmicCowboy
It must be something in the water. And I don't mean the San Antonio river water either...:lol

TDMVPDPOY
05-22-2006, 01:02 PM
so duncan has 3+ fta on dirk, and this moron is complainin?? hell if you look at the stats of games 1-4combined, dirk fta > td fta, and spurs didnt whine about officiating.

LilMissSPURfect
05-22-2006, 01:03 PM
all this whinning the spurs are doing....(i suppose its my inability to see it hear it....i don't know) I REALLY just don't see it......or hear it.......(post game...media...print...)
I SEE it in PRINT everyday (quoting AVERY & CO)
I HEAR it from the press interview coming from THEM! *(ponies)

Chris
05-22-2006, 01:03 PM
A 2 time MVP and 3 time finals MVP who plays in the post has taken only 3 more FTs than a 7 foot small forward that prefers jumpers. Yeah, I guess Harris has reason to be annoyed. :rolleyes

GMAFB

Right on :tu

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Motherfuckin' Leslie Neilsen has to resort to bitching about one of the best players in the game to try and get people motivated or riled up now??!?!?!
What a complete and utter tit!
:flipoff

1Parker1
05-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Maybe if they had concentrated on preparing their players to close out the Spurs, instead of spending so much time complaining about Spurs players, the city of SA, Finley, etc...they wouldn't be in the predicament they're in now :rolleyes

pache100
05-22-2006, 01:06 PM
all this whinning the spurs are doing....(i suppose its my inability to see it hear it....i don't know) I REALLY just don't see it......or hear it.......(post game...media...print...))

That's because the Spurs leave it on the court...which is the way it should be.

I SEE it in PRINT everyday
I HEAR it from the press interview coming from THEM! *(ponies)

It's part of their low-class game. If they want a high-class game, :stfu !

CubanMustGo
05-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Duncan has shot 67 free throws in the six games, more than any other player in the series. Dirk Nowitzki has 64 free throws.

I notice the Boring News didn't bother to bring up this stat: total PFs, Duncan 24, Golden Boy 17 ... or DQ's, Duncan 1 (and nearly 2), Floppin' Fraulein 0.

SA210
05-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Desperation shows

austinfan
05-22-2006, 01:11 PM
More attempts to work the refs from Avery and his crew.

whottt
05-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Del Harris needs to shut the fuck up.

When you get swept having a team consisting of the core of the 3 time champion Lakers, plus Eddie Jones, Elden Campbell, and NVE thrown in for good measure...

Well the first thing you need to do is kill yourself because you are the biggest loser ever.

The second thing you need to do is, if you didn't kill yourself, just shut the fuck up and never remind anyone that you didn't kill yourself and that your worthless loser ass is stealing good oxygen from the rest of us, making you not only pathetic but hated as well by everyone that's not as much of a loser(which is everyone on planet earth).

Apologize for not killing yourself Dell...then shut the fuck up...and never remind us you are still alive again.

picnroll
05-22-2006, 01:16 PM
It's a scientific fact that if you put a group of women together they'll start PMSing in harmony. Apparently this is true for Mav's owners and coaches too.

gingko
05-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Harris is not complaining about the officiating like some seem to suggest on this thread. He is talking about Tim whining to the refs. Not sure what number of free throws has to do with it. Unless you think Tim is justified for constantly complaining and talking trash to the Mavs bench during a game.

Willinsa
05-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Leslie Nielsen just needs to stfu.

LilMissSPURfect
05-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Harris is not complaining about the officiating like some seem to suggest on this thread. He is talking about Tim whining to the refs. Not sure what number of free throws has to do with it. Unless you think Tim is justified for constantly complaining and talking trash to the Mavs bench during a game.

case closed!

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2006, 01:18 PM
It's a scientific fact that if you put a group of women together they'll start PMSing in harmony. Apparently this is true for Mav's owners and coaches too.

:lmao

LilMissSPURfect
05-22-2006, 01:22 PM

timmy was telling stunkhouse to "GLARE" at this :flipoff

to AVERY : :flag:

and to CUBAN : to :hang himself........!!

1Parker1
05-22-2006, 01:22 PM

We don't need to be in a group to be PMSing...:angel

SpursWoman
05-22-2006, 01:23 PM

:lol

CavsSuperFan
I think bagging on Del Harris is like bagging on Billy Graham or something...You might get struck by lightning....The guy is an ethical man with a “Masters in Divinity”....

gingko
I guess I just don't undertand this board. It's so hard to find which arbitrary line is drawn on a particular issue that makes sure the Spurs can do no wrong. I used to hate when the Mavs in prior years (See 2003 CF's) used to whine all the time during games. Steve, Fin and Dirk were the worst, and it was annoying. I know at that time the mavs were lambasted on message boards (including spurs ones) for doing so, but with the shoe on the other foot, the tone totally changes. Tim Duncan is one of the all time great players and has always been one of my favorites, but his complaining this series is very annoying.
I guess all is fair game during a game? Which do more people notice and which do the officials notice more? A comment in one article where Harris says Tim is better than he is acting, one mention of bearhug defense, one press conference talk tha mentions "one play, or one call" and the game is different, or direct complaining on the court during the game where more people are watching and the complaints go directly to the ones in control?

picnroll
05-22-2006, 01:32 PM
I guess I just don't undertand this board. It's so hard to find which arbitrary line is drawn on a particular issue that makes sure the Spurs can do no wrong. I used to hate when the Mavs in prior years (See 2003 CF's) used to whine all the time during games. Steve, Fin and Dirk were the worst, and it was annoying. I know at that time the mavs were lambasted on message boards (including spurs ones) for doing so, but with the shoe on the other foot, the tone totally changes. Tim Duncan is one of the all time great players and has always been one of my favorites, but his complaining this series is very annoying.
I guess all is fair game during a game? Which do more people notice and which do the officials notice more? A comment in one article where Harris says Tim is better than he is acting, one mention of bearhug defense, one press conference talk tha mentions "one play, or one call" and the game is different, or direct complaining on the court during the game where more people are watching and the complaints go directly to the ones in control?
I call bullshit on this whining crap. You want to see whining look at Cassell. You want to see whining look at Rasheed. Duncan does nothing more than your hero Dirk. He stares at the ref sometimes. Well big fuckin deal. He throws his arms up sometimes. Well big fuckin deal. If he's fairly pissed he'll go talk to the refs. Well big fuckin deal. When he's really pissed he'll cause a delay of game or get an immediate foul. But you don't see Duncan arguing with the ref while the play goes on. You don't see Dunan jabbering at the ref for minutes on end about a play. These were Dirk hallmarks. The biggest problem Dallas fans and owner have with Duncan is that he's been bitch slapping their poor asses for years and they can't do anything about it.

The dildo Harris is just treying to work the refs and distract Duncan.

whottt
05-22-2006, 01:36 PM
I think bagging on Del Harris is like bagging on Billy Graham or something...You might get struck by lightning....The guy is an ethical man with a “Masters in Divinity”....

Fuck Del Harris...

George Gervin's Afro
05-22-2006, 01:36 PM

well then we need terry to stop making that stupid face when he makes a jumper. how about dirk acting like he's made a shot before and not run down the court lkike an ape. or better that foolish snare dirk likes to use when he sinks a shot.. what about stack standing over someone and glaring..

Winnipeg_Spur
05-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Duncan took exception to Harris' analysis and shouted toward the Mavericks' bench on a couple of occasions Friday in Game 6.

What's the deal with that? Any more details? Sounds very un-Timmy like to me, but then Duncan's done a couple things differently this series...

gingko
05-22-2006, 01:40 PM
I guess I disagree. There were times this series were Tim would hold a nice conversation with the ref at every dead ball. And he did go and yell at the Mavs bench after drawing a foul on Damp during game 6. It was weird to see him do that.

gingko
05-22-2006, 01:41 PM
well then we need terry to stop making that stupid face when he makes a jumper. how about dirk acting like he's made a shot before and not run down the court lkike an ape. or better that foolish snare dirk likes to use when he sinks a shot.. what about stack standing over someone and glaring..
I agree about Terry and Stack. Both have had embarrising moments this series. Dirk did the "ape" thing one time.

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Actually, Duncan does talk to the refs and it is quite effective. He has excellent credibility with most of them. Plus, he normally talks quietly and rationally and doesn't get in their face. If a particular opponent player is doing something illegal he will point it out and move on...nothing wrong with that.

Is this fair? Of course. Other players have the same opportunity if they do it respectfully.

Is this effective? sometimes...The refs will at least look at them closer and if it was something he was actually missing Duncan somtimes he gets the calls the next trip.

Duncan has earned the respect he gets from the refs.

Spurs Dynasty
05-22-2006, 01:48 PM
You know for a team (coaching, mgmt, owner) that accuses others of complaining, they sure do an awful lot of it ! I mean all we hear is them COMPLAINING abut how others complain.

Really, how much bitching have PJ or Pop done?

smeagol
05-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Guys:

Truth is, TD complains too much. Just like Manu flops too much.

pache100
05-22-2006, 02:04 PM

I went back and read all the responses up to your message. All were talking about the subject in the lead post...Harris complaining about Timmy complaining. Are you blind or just illiterate?

I guess I disagree.

And...you think we CARE??? :lol

redskinfan
05-22-2006, 02:07 PM
http://www.pofigist.spb.ru/walls/final_insult.jpg

Dammit Nordberg!!

gingko
05-22-2006, 02:19 PM
I went back and read all the responses up to your message. All were talking about the subject in the lead post...Harris complaining about Timmy complaining. Are you blind or just illiterate?

Both actually. I watch the Mavs games in braille. And as to your assertion I offer the following:

A 2 time MVP and 3 time finals MVP who plays in the post has taken only 3 more FTs than a 7 footer playing like a small forward that prefers jumpers. Yeah, I guess Harris has reason to be annoyed.

I notice the Boring News didn't bother to bring up this stat: total PFs, Duncan 24, Golden Boy 17 ... or DQ's, Duncan 1 (and nearly 2), Floppin' Fraulein 0.

And...you think we CARE

Nope.

timvp
05-22-2006, 02:38 PM
MJ used to talk to the refs before, during and after games. What TD does is pretty much in line with what a lot of the game's best. That said, Duncan can take himself out of games when he starts thinking about the refs too much. That is the main flaw of his approach.

Oh and Del Harris and his "top 25-30" azz needs to STFU.

CavsSuperFan
05-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Get Real...Tim Duncan whines about each and every call that goes against him...
http://www.bbsr.de/images/nba/steve_javie-duncan.jpg

Who Me Foul, I don’t Foul, I am Tim Duncan, The MVP!

pache100
05-22-2006, 02:56 PM

You REALLY don't want me to go find all the pictures I can of King James WHINING his ass off, do you?

ShoogarBear
05-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Guys:

Truth is, TD complains too much. Just like Manu flops too much.
Yeah, I am getting a little tired of it, too.

He would do much better if he was more selective.

CubanMustGo
05-22-2006, 03:02 PM

Someone who supports a guy who routinely gets four and five steps on his drives to the basket should just :stfu

The issue IS, primarily, yet another Dallas coach/owner going public with their gripes about SA players, insulting the town, etc. Yes, I did drag out the foul #s in response to the DMN's implication that Timmy was getting a lot of FT calls.

CavsSuperFan
05-22-2006, 03:05 PM
I am feeling a lot of L.O.V.E. in this thread....

pache100
05-22-2006, 03:07 PM

How's the fishing, BTW? http://i4.tinypic.com/10f0soy.gif Catching anything?

ShoogarBear
05-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Have the Cavs gotten an early start on their Get A Defensive Rebound drills?

kris
05-22-2006, 03:10 PM
25-30?

Please. I think that's one of those jabs disguised as a compliment.

Also, Del Harris has no standing to talk. What the hell has he ever done besides being a holdover coach?

whottt
05-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Also, Del Harris has no standing to talk. What the hell has he ever done besides being a holdover coach?

He got swept out of the playoffs with a team consisting of Shaq, Fox, Kobe, Fisher, Horry, Elden Campbell, Byron Scott, Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel...

You think that's easy to do?

ShoogarBear
05-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Del Harris is among the top 30 coaches in Houston Rockets history.

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2006, 03:20 PM
How's the fishing, BTW? http://i4.tinypic.com/10f0soy.gif Catching anything?

I had just taken a sip and almost spit water all over my computer on that one...Jim Bob is catching a lot of fish today but not the kind you think...:lol

T Park
05-22-2006, 03:21 PM
"Ive heard bears are attracted to their menstration"

"Oh great, you hear that Del, thanks to you and Cuban and Avery, now we will have BEARS here tonight"

redskinfan
05-22-2006, 03:25 PM
http://www.pofigist.spb.ru/walls/final_insult.jpg

You want to take a dingy
No, I took care of that at the press conference

gingko
05-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Someone who supports a guy who routinely gets four and five steps on his drives to the basket should just

He is a ginobli fan?

The issue IS, primarily, yet another Dallas coach/owner going public with their gripes about SA players, insulting the town, etc. Yes, I did drag out the foul #s in response to the DMN's implication that Timmy was getting a lot of FT calls.

I am not sure I understand this claim. Cuban is one thing, and I would understand the frustration by a Spurs fan - he annoys me too sometimes. But there are only about three quotes that could considered "gripes" by a Mavs coach. Avery's bearhug D, the comment about the free throw line when his body guard stops him and Harris.

Some Spurs quotes this seris. I think all are innocuous, but are on par with anything Avery or Del have said.

1) "We've been having a lot of tough breaks," Horry said. "I've been saying that all day hoping you all would read into it, but I'm not going to go any further with that."

2) Bowen walked to midcourt, looked into the stands at NBA commissioner David Stern and shouted, "Eight-point-five seconds? Eight-point-five seconds?"

"I voiced my opinion," Bowen said.

3) Van Exel complained Javie called him "a miserable person."

4) ``One play either way. One call either way`` said Duncan

I have no problem with any of the above quotes they are fine. But if I were to read into them the way some on this board do, I apparently would need to be really upset about it. :angel

Spurs Dynasty
05-22-2006, 03:48 PM
"Ive heard bears are attracted to their menstration"

"Oh great, you hear that Del, thanks to you and Cuban and Avery, now we will have BEARS here tonight"

The bears are only there for defense ! :lol

Frank Brickowski
05-22-2006, 03:51 PM
He got swept out of the playoffs with a team consisting of Shaq, Fox, Kobe, Fisher, Horry, Elden Campbell, Byron Scott, Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel...

I believe Kurt Rambis was the coach in 99 when the Spurs swept the Lakers.

whottt
05-22-2006, 04:14 PM
I believe Kurt Rambis was the coach in 99 when the Spurs swept the Lakers.

I didn't say it was the year the Spurs swept the Lakers...I was talking about the previous year when the Jazz did it, the Laker team that won 61 games....

navarat
05-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Top 25-30? ARe you kidding me Del? This man easily top 5, or 10.

TwoHandJam
05-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Are you trying to be obtuse or do you really not get it? The point isn't that Harris is complaining about the officiating - the point is that given that one of the greatest post players of our generation is roughly even on fta with a 7 footer who plays like a small forward and shoots largely jumpers and fadeaways in this series is laughable.

Harris should thank his lucky stars and STFU about anything to do with Tim Duncan whining at the refs given the treatment his star Dirk is getting. At least Tim earns his fts mixing it up in the paint getting hammered by Dampier, Diop and Mbenga - not like a certain other 7 footer who gets calls when players inadvertently touch his hair or bat their eyelashes at him and disturb his release. If I were Tim I'd be upset too.

T Park
05-22-2006, 04:42 PM

I believe Kurt Rambis was the coach in 99 when the Spurs swept the Lakers

Harris was the coach in 98 when this happened, Van Exel was traded, Scott retired,
JR Reid was added and Del was fired midway through the year.

samikeyp
05-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Del Harris is obviously drawing on his extensive championship experience to make these comments.

Oh, wait......

:p

gingko
05-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Are you trying to be obtuse or do you really not get it? The point isn't that Harris is complaining about the officiating - the point is that given that one of the greatest post players of our generation is roughly even on fta with a 7 footer who plays like a small forward and shoots largely jumpers and fadeaways in this series is laughable.

Please, Damp and Diop can't even breath on Tim without a call being made. But if pretending there is some vast officiating conspiracy/bias makes you feel better, go for it.

BTW, Dirk is not near the "fadeway" jump shooter that you make him out to be. Additionally, fta is not necessarily the best comparison. As post player is likely to draw a lot more non-shooting fouls. You often see defensive fouls called before a post even gets the ball when they are fighting with the post player for position. Almost all of Dirk's fouls will happen as some one closes out on a shot or trys to stop a drive.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-22-2006, 05:41 PM

that's surprising Ducan would do that