PDA

View Full Version : Spurs-Mavs: ESPN analysts opine on Game 7

austinfan
05-22-2006, 01:26 PM
"Analysis" (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060521/dalsas) from the crew at BSPN:

Ric Bucher, ESPN The Magazine: It will come down to the wire, as it has in five of the series' first six games. As long as Manu Ginobili is healthy and available at the end, the Spurs complete their epic comeback. If he isn't, the Mavs win for the third time in four visits to that muddy thing they call the Riverwalk.

Scoop Jackson, ESPN.com: Although the Spurs have found a way to win the last two games, I see the spirit of Avery Johnson coming through his team and making his players believe they are supposed to win this game. Dallas with the upset.

Chris Palmer, ESPN The Magazine: Can the Spurs get the Big Three to show up on the same day? If yes, it's back to the conference finals. But the Mavs will push it early and often and Jason Terry will drill an 18-footer at the buzzer to win it. Mark Cuban will storm the court. Mavs by 1.

Chris Sheridan, ESPN Insider: Well, we've learned how Tim Duncan really hasn't lost a thing, and we've learned how valuable Terry is to the Mavs' offense. What we're about to learn is how the Mavs perform under pressure in the final two minutes of a be-all, end-all game because I can't see any way this one does not come down to endgame execution. I think the Spurs will have the edge there, and I expect them to win.

Greg Anthony, ESPN: The Spurs have played like champions the last two games and should advance. However, the matchups that have caused so many problems throughout the series return for Game 7, and Dallas, I believe, can pull the upset.

John Hollinger, ESPN Insider: San Antonio has the home-court advantage and the championship know-how, but through six games of this series, Dallas has been the better team. I'm guessing this one will go down to the wire just like the last four, but with Terry back in the lineup, Dallas looks poised for the upset.

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: I'll go out on a limb and say this one's going to be close. The Spurs simply haven't shown any spurtability against the Mavs, so I doubt they can win comfortably even though we're obviously due for a runaway. What I don't doubt is San Antonio's ability to squeak through. A comeback from 3-1 down in a playoff series is one of the few things we haven't seen from the Spurs in the Duncan Era, but that changes now. Reason being: Dallas might be better-equipped than the Cavs or Clips talentwise to win a Game 7 on the road, but the Mavs also faced the toughest emotional recovery from Game 6 of those three teams.

Eric Neel, ESPN.com: Dallas shouldn't be worried about losing Game 6, the Mavs should be worried about the way they lost it. They were handing out offensive boards like candy at the end, and Dirk Nowitzki, great as he has been this year, simply did not assert himself. And that was at home, in front of a crowd that loved them. Spurs by single digits.

B.J. Armstrong, ESPN: Continue to watch the Spurs focus on the effort and not the results. Spurs advance.

Ken Shouler, ESPN.com: Low scores don't favor the Mavs, as their three losses in the series show. I expect the Spurs to win because of the defensive tilt of the series now and because it will take a monumental effort for Dallas to upset the Spurs on their home court.

Tim Legler, ESPN: The Mavericks will be relying on the return of Terry to provide the leadership and floor spacing they lacked in Game 6. They will need a big game out of Nowitzki. The Spurs should get Duncan 8 to 10 touches on the low block every quarter. I expect Ginobili to be the difference maker as the Spurs move on.

Chris Broussard, ESPN The Magazine: Although Duncan will bring his "A game," this is Dallas' year and the Mavs' quickness at the guard spots with Devin Harris and Terry will break down the Spurs defense. Dirk will match Duncan -- although he'll do his damage from the perimeter -- and the Mavs wil prevail. Yeah, I said it!

Texas_Ranger
05-22-2006, 01:31 PM
The Mavs have the better team, say Ric Bucher.

HAHAhAHAHhA :lol :lol :lol :lol

ginobme
05-22-2006, 01:35 PM
"Analysis" (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060521/dalsas) from the crew at BSPN:

B.J. Armstrong, ESPN: Continue to watch the Spurs focus on the effort and not the results. Spurs advance.

Amen

Mavtek
05-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Wow I'd have to say that's pretty split there.

CosmicCowboy
I read that on their site but didn't think it was worth posting...:lol

Dirk41MVP

What have the spurs done to prove this theory wrong ? besides a 1 point win facing elimination in your home court, and 5 point win without our 2nd leading scorer in dallas. We've at least blown you out in your own gym... you can barely win at home facing elimination. Had jet played in game 6, we wouldn't even be here, you know it, everybody knows it. It's all good.

Texas_Ranger
05-22-2006, 01:40 PM
What have the spurs done to prove this theory wrong ? besides a 1 point win facing elimination in your home court, and 5 point win without our 2nd leading scorer in dallas. We've at least blown you out in your own gym... you can barely win at home facing elimination. Had jet played in game 6, we wouldn't even be here, you know it, everybody knows it. It's all good.

If refs woud not judge in the game 3 and 4 like they did, this game woul not be necessary.

Jimcs50
05-22-2006, 01:41 PM

Nothing has been proven yet, hence the Game 7.

degenerate_gambler
05-22-2006, 01:43 PM
I liked BJ Armstrong's take. To hell with the rest 'em.

Just keep hammering away at that rock...

George Gervin's Afro
05-22-2006, 01:43 PM
John Hollinger, ESPN Insider: San Antonio has the home-court advantage and the championship know-how, but through six games of this series, Dallas has been the better team. I'm guessing this one will go down to the wire just like the last four, but with Terry back in the lineup, Dallas looks poised for the upset.

I wonder if Hollinger will still maintain the Mavs being the better team if they fall tonight. Where do these people get that the Mavs have shown they are the better team in this series? The Mavs are a great eam and they may well win tonight but this crap is getting to me.. "The Mavs showing themselves to be the better team during the last 6 games"..how?

DDS4
05-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Boggles my mind that these "experts" say the Mavs are better, yet the series is tied 3-3.

George Gervin's Afro
05-22-2006, 01:45 PM

3 NBA championhips. Winning 2 games in a row when the mavs had the chance to eliminate them.. winning on the Mavs home floor

Jimcs50
05-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Boggles my mind that these "experts" say the Mavs are better, yet the series is tied 3-3.

WTF cares what they think? It is up to SA to show everyone that they are still better than everyone, and the way to do that is to win, baby...just win.

DDS4
05-22-2006, 01:47 PM

If the Mavs win tonight, they're better.

Look at the scoreboard...it's 3-3. You don't get style points with wins.

PM5K
05-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Nothing has been proven yet, hence the Game 7.

Right on the money Jim....

greywheel
05-22-2006, 01:50 PM
If he isn't, the Mavs win for the third time in four visits to that muddy thing they call the Riverwalk.

Help me understand Bucher math. We won game 1 and game 5 in San Antonio right? The mavs won game 2 here. Where does he get that they have a chance at 3 wins in four visits?

DarrinS
05-22-2006, 01:51 PM

Based on what?

Jimcs50
05-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Help me understand Bucher math. We won game 1 and game 5 in San Antonio right? The mavs won game 2 here. Where does he get that they have a chance at 3 wins in four visits?

Mavs won in April in SA

greywheel
05-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Mavs won in April in SA

But then that would then be a chance of 3 wins in 5 trips.

Edit: Actually if you include the extra regular season win then you would have to include the extra regular season loss and it would be 6 trips.
He's wrong any way I look at it.

clubalien

HAHAhAHAHhA :lol :lol :lol :lol
I will have to agree I think mavs do have a better team.
I still know the spurs will win.
We will have to get better in the offseason though.

LilMissSPURfect
mavs > at small ball
spurs > at bball

DDS4
Based on what?

Based on his dumb Player Efficiency Rankings he keeps pimpin'.

velik_m
05-22-2006, 01:54 PM

Ric Bucher, ESPN The Magazine: It will come down to the wire, as it has in five of the series' first six games. As long as Manu Ginobili is healthy and available at the end, the Spurs complete their epic comeback. If he isn't, the Mavs win for the third time in four visits to that muddy thing they call the Riverwalk.

nice analysis... a real expert.

1Parker1
05-22-2006, 03:09 PM
If the Spurs can't win tonight, at HOME, with the momemtum now swinging their way...no way would they have beat out Detroit in the Finals anyway.

Terry's absense in game 6 will prove to be more costly in this game than people realize. He's bound to come out strong, as is Harris who will benefit from his comeback. Dirk will also be Dirk. That's why it's important that the Spurs Big 3 ALL show up tonight, hopefully stay out of foul trouble. Bruce, Barry, and Horry are all due for some 3 pointers!!!

Will Spurs fans be even more mad IF the Spurs lose tonight or will you guys be happy that the Spurs managed to come back from down 3-1 to take it to 7?

George Gervin's Afro
05-22-2006, 03:14 PM
If the Spurs can't win tonight, at HOME, with the momemtum now swinging their way...no way would they have beat out Detroit in the Finals anyway.

Terry's absense in game 6 will prove to be more costly in this game than people realize. He's bound to come out strong, as is Harris who will benefit from his comeback. Dirk will also be Dirk. That's why it's important that the Spurs Big 3 ALL show up tonight, hopefully stay out of foul trouble. Bruce, Barry, and Horry are all due for some 3 pointers!!!

Will Spurs fans be even more mad IF the Spurs lose tonight or will you guys be happy that the Spurs managed to come back from down 3-1 to take it to 7?

The Mavs may very well be the better team and if they win tonight they will haved proved it. I take no consolation in the fact that we came back from 3-1.. It's the championship or bust..

nkdlunch
05-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Greg Anthony, ESPN: The Spurs have played like champions the last two games and should advance. However, the matchups that have caused so many problems throughout the series return for Game 7, and Dallas, I believe, can pull the upset.

way to take a side Anthony... bitch

what the fuck is this motherfucker on???? Spurs have clearly been the better team in at least 4 of the last 6 games.

Spurs obviously due for a runaway.

that's what I'm thinking

Chris
05-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Terry's absense in game 6 will prove to be more costly in this game than people realize. He's bound to come out strong,

I disagree, Terry will be rusty. His shots will not fall and he is going to turnover the ball more than he assists. Harris is going to be nervous and Stackhouse will be brick city. Dirk puts up maybe 22 points since Bowen is going to play like a man possessed on defense tonight. All of the starting 5 is going to be hungry for rebounds and teamball will win this game. Spurs by double digits.

George Gervin's Afro
05-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Is Dirk due for a bad game? Has he had one yet?

MannyIsGod
05-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Spurs aren't due for shit. But it doesn't matter. We're back in our house baby. OUR HOUSE.

The bottom line is I feel the Spurs have an edge. I feel that Dallas is ON AN edge. I think the Spurs are ready to push them over.

It is do or die, and I don't think Tim is ready to go home and die. The fact is that he has what it takes to not let this team lose. You all have seen it before. Games the Spurs had no business winning but either Manu or Tim WILLED them to a victory. Thats what the great ones do. They win games on their own. Look at Lebron and what he did.

Can Dirk win a game on his own? Can Terry? Can anyone on that team?

If they can, they've never shown it. Matchup problems my ass. Jason Terry being fired up my ass. The Spurs are going to win because they are a team of champions. Whether it is Robert Horry winning a game, Tim Dominating a game, or Manu dominating an olympics or finals, there is someone on this team who will step up and will this team to victory.

These games have been close, but in the battle of wills its a blowout. The Spurs got this.

Shank
05-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Terry will be fine. He's "Cold Blooded" like Rick James. You should know by now that the guy's a baller.

Get it? Baller?

spur219
05-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Spurs still have not had a double digit win this series and they are due on already. Well tonight is the night they get their double digit win.

Shank
05-22-2006, 03:32 PM
No team is ever "due" anything. You get what you fight for.

MannyIsGod
05-22-2006, 03:33 PM
No team is ever "due" anything. You get what you fight for.Indeed.

Mavtek
05-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Is Dirk due for a bad game? Has he had one yet?

I'd say game 3 and game 1 were as about as bad as it got for him.

Chris
05-22-2006, 03:43 PM
I'd say game 3 and game 1 were as about as bad as it got for him.

Well get ready because tonight its going to get a lot worse! Come next round Dirk will back in Germany telling all his fans that his team didn't come through for HIM just like last year.

Mavtek
05-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Well get ready because tonight its going to get a lot worse! Come next round Dirk will back in Germany telling all his fans that his team didn't come through for HIM just like last year.

What if it doesn't matter? What if you're wrong?

One man does not make a team.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-22-2006, 04:04 PM

I'll take four 1-point victories and your team can win one by 21. I'd be fine with that in every series the Spurs play.

strangeweather
05-22-2006, 04:11 PM
I wonder if Hollinger will still maintain the Mavs being the better team if they fall tonight. Where do these people get that the Mavs have shown they are the better team in this series? The Mavs are a great eam and they may well win tonight but this crap is getting to me.. "The Mavs showing themselves to be the better team during the last 6 games"..how?

Hollinger provides statitical analyses such as expected number of wins based on point differentials. Thanks to Game 2, the Mavs are +20 in point differential for the series, therefore (statistically) "the better team."

Since they haven't found a statistical way to measure heart yet, take this with a box of salt.