PDA

View Full Version : TJ Ford recovery going slowly

IcemanCometh
08-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Bucks' Ford is slow to recover from injury

There are few things scarier and more serious than a spinal-cord injury.

Bucks guard T.J. Ford is living that firsthand, as he makes a slow but steady recovery from spinal-cord stenosis surgery.

Ford had an operation May 5 to alleviate the stenosis, which is a narrowing of the hole in the vertebrae through which the spinal cord channels. Without the surgery, his spinal cord would have been pinched, causing numbness in the extremities and other issues.

Ford was injured Feb. 24 during a game against the Timberwolves. He slammed into the floor after a drive, landing square on his tailbone and his skull hitting the hardwood.

It was one of those TV “highlights” clips that produced chills, as even the most nonmedical person could see the peril for Ford.

Initially, the Bucks’ medical personnel thought it was just a bruise to his spinal cord. But Ford didn’t recover in 2-3 weeks as anticipated.

He was out for the rest of the season, and surgery was part of the fix.

He’s recovering in Houston, taking things very slowly. He is unable to run, shoot, or lift weights yet.

“Right now I’m just rehabbing,” Ford told the Austin American-Statesman. “I’m just working to get my body parts stronger, so I won’t have to worry about that type of injury again. I have to make sure I’m 100 percent. I have to heal right.”

The slow recovery means Ford is unlikely to return in time for the start of training camp in October. Ford can’t say when he will be ready to play, only that the doctors says he is recovering on schedule.

Former Pistons point guard Mike James will inherit Ford’s starting role.

http://www.detnews.com/pix/2004/08/26/sports/s026-ford-0804n-2.jpg
Milwaukee's T.J. Ford had an impressive rookie season until he hurt his back in February.

Get well soon TJ (http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/0408/26/d04-254564.htm)

timvp
08-26-2004, 07:49 PM
This goes to show you not to draft anyone from UT in the first round.

ducks
08-26-2004, 10:12 PM
I knew he was to brittle
and small:p