PDA

View Full Version : Tactical error with 32 seconds left

Kong
05-22-2006, 10:41 PM
You've just scored and are up by 3.

Dallas is running it's play, Nowitski has the ball and hasn't missed much. As soon as the game clock hits 24 seconds...

CLEAR OUT OF THE WAY AND LET HIM SCORE THE 2 POINTS!

Spurs would then be up by 1, shot clock turned off, and you put your free throw shooters in. Dallas has to foul, then they have to score.

Instead, Dirk's fouled, ties the game, and once again, we can't finish it.

Then we don't stop them in OT. :depressed

Duncanoypi
05-22-2006, 10:42 PM
the game was already over...but then it hurts...

rayray2k8
05-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Let it go man.
We've had our fun, let them have a chance.

Spurs Dynasty
05-22-2006, 10:43 PM
You've just scored and are up by 3.

Dallas is running it's play, Nowitski has the ball and hasn't missed much. As soon as the game clock hits 24 seconds...

CLEAR OUT OF THE WAY AND LET HIM SCORE THE 2 POINTS!

Spurs would then be up by 1, shot clock turned off, and you put your free throw shooters in. Dallas has to foul, then they have to score.

Instead, Dirk's fouled, ties the game, and once again, we can't finish it.

Then we don't stop them in OT. :depressed

Exactly. Our game to lose and lost on a mental mistake. This was the game breaker. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

dn0
that's the story , the costliest unnecessary 2+1 play in recent spurs history.

Tek_XX
too many fucking mistakes by this team

Winnipeg_Spur
05-22-2006, 10:44 PM
I don't know if you clear out and let him score, but you sure as hell don't do what Gino did... :depressed

snowboarder
05-22-2006, 10:45 PM
that was the possesion of the game

doldrums
05-22-2006, 10:45 PM
we lost because of the 1st half. Plain and simple,

mother
05-22-2006, 10:46 PM
how many bonehead plays by ginobili this year?

clubalien
05-22-2006, 10:47 PM
will this play replace the no look pass?

Spurologist
05-22-2006, 10:47 PM
3 pt lead....
Chance to win in regulation...
Just wasn't meant to be....

Pistons < Spurs
05-22-2006, 10:48 PM
IMO that was the play that ended the season. The LAST thing you wanted to do was foul him. Give him the bucket all day long, but DO NOT FOUL.

Tobias
05-22-2006, 10:50 PM
So are we chalking up another loss on Manu's hands? :depressed:

Dre_7
05-22-2006, 10:52 PM
how many bonehead plays by ginobili this year?

The foul was on Bowen actually.

RashoFan
It is what it is...Good luck to Dallas in the next round, but I will be rooting for Detroit...

beachbarbie948
the Spurs wouldn't have even been in it at the end if Ginobili hadn't made that 3...it wasn't just Ginobili's mistake that cost them...missed free throws also could have been made

Budkin
05-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Manu hit that 3 though so they cancel each other out. He also won Game 6 for us. Shit happens.

beachbarbie948
05-22-2006, 10:53 PM
The foul was on Bowen actually.
Yea! I was thinking the same thing, because I thought they said that on TV, but on Yahoo Sports they said the foul was on Ginobili...

weird.

texas84
05-22-2006, 10:54 PM
So are we chalking up another loss on Manu's hands? :depressed:

Any Spurs fan who bags on Ginobili is nuts right now... he was a stud and a HUGE reason why the Spurs forced a Game 7. You don't let him go for anything, trust me.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
Stupid foul and a horrible, horrible decision by Manu. It cost the Spurs their season. You have to make the Mavs extend the game...

Budkin
Also if we hadn't gotten down by 20 we might have won by 20... you just never know...

word
05-22-2006, 10:55 PM
It was on Ginobili.

dn0
05-22-2006, 10:56 PM
WTF haters?
The foul was on bowen, fuckers.

Knoxville Spur
05-22-2006, 10:59 PM
One little problem--we stink at free throws.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
WTF haters?
The foul was on bowen, fuckers.

0:21 Dirk Nowitzki makes layup 103-104
0:21 103-104 Manu Ginobili shooting foul (Dirk Nowitzki draws the foul)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=260522024&period=4

TMTTRIO
Manu sucks. Let's trade him :rolleyes
yes he made a boneheaded play but he kept the Spurs in the game in the 4th quarter and it's not like the game was lost we still had overtime to go through where nobody on the Spurs really stepped up.

Tek_XX
05-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Does it matter who fouled, sorry ass pop says no foul so there should be no foul. The one time pop makes the right call this team fucks it up.

Kong
05-22-2006, 11:01 PM
One little problem--we stink at free throws.
Fin doesn't, Manu's okay, Tim was hitting his.

Also, it puts the onus on Dallas to score.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Too many mistakes that we paid for...Think about it as a whole, none of this what if crap.. the kick outs to Barry, Bowen, 3's were lacking...So many things that shoulda fell, didn't. We just didn't put enough in our Punch. That's it. Plain and simple. Mavs played great, made lesser mistakes than us. Dirk did what he had to do, never once let up. Duncan, Manu couldn't close the deal. The team that had a chance to close it out, ended up losing with a miss. It happened to both teams back and forth, my fear coming into this game 7 was that the pendulem would shift back to the Mavs this one last time.

Kong
05-22-2006, 11:28 PM
You would have a hard time convincing me Pop doesn't have this defensive scenario in his coaching bag of tricks, and we couldn't execute it correctly. Doesn't anybody play chess?

SequSpur
05-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Helen Keller could've coached the last 25 seconds of this game.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-23-2006, 12:43 AM
So did Pop stress NO FOULING or Force Free Throwss??

austinfan
05-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Eh. If we hadn't been down 10-20 points, on our home court no less, we wouldn't have had to worry about any last-second plays. Without Manu's three, this whole discussion would be moot. And the whole team had the chance to step up in OT and they didn't.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-23-2006, 12:45 AM
manu has made more bonehead plays in the closing seconds of games than any other spur, except maybe barry

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 01:03 AM
For those saying the foul was on Bowen, it was on Manu.

Manu even talked about it in the postgame -- he said he was trying to go for the block.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Manu's Momentus Steals, Plays, Points, Defense > TO Mistakes ...He's still one man. Spurs needed to deliver their bargain, and that's NOT to be down by 20 in the first half o a GAME 7. The spurs gotta get those Rebounds, and MAKE those 3's ...You can't blame one guy for this loss...One for all and all for one.

No Manu = Early 2nd Round Exit. AND THIS YOU CANNNOT ARGUE AGAINST!! SO SUCK IT.

ata
05-23-2006, 01:09 AM
Manu's Momentus Steals, Plays, Points, Defense > TO Mistakes ...He's still one man. Spurs needed to deliver their bargain, and that's NOT to be down by 20 in the first half o a GAME 7. The spurs gotta get those Rebounds, and MAKE those 3's ...You can't blame one guy for this loss...One for all and all for one.

No Manu = Early 2nd Round Exit. AND THIS YOU CANNNOT ARGUE AGAINST!! SO SUCK IT.
^:tu

Budkin
05-23-2006, 01:17 AM
Amen brotha!

MissAllThat
05-23-2006, 01:22 AM
That was a BS foul. For them to call that and then not call ginobili getting whacked by 2 guys on the other side was utter crap. I know you can't call the foul and send Duncan to the line to end the game, but you could have called it when they hacked Manu and sent him to the line giving the Mavs the ball with like 1.5 or so secs left. That way you don't end the game on free throws. Crap, just crap. Whatever, I'm not mad. I only get mad when we lose to better teams, but to lose like this with the refs screwing us over all series, eh whatever, there's not much you can do.

jamezyjamez
05-23-2006, 01:46 AM
That was a BS foul. For them to call that and then not call ginobili getting whacked by 2 guys on the other side was utter crap. I know you can't call the foul and send Duncan to the line to end the game, but you could have called it when they hacked Manu and sent him to the line giving the Mavs the ball with like 1.5 or so secs left. That way you don't end the game on free throws. Crap, just crap. Whatever, I'm not mad. I only get mad when we lose to better teams, but to lose like this with the refs screwing us over all series, eh whatever, there's not much you can do.

Those darn refs!

Typhoon
05-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Manu sucks. Let's trade him :rolleyes
yes he made a boneheaded play but he kept the Spurs in the game in the 4th quarter and it's not like the game was lost we still had overtime to go through where nobody on the Spurs really stepped up.

Sure dumbass, trade Manu.. Im sure the Lakers or some other team will take him .. and then you'll see how much the Spurs will suck without him, the game wasnt lost by him .. they won the game in first quarter.

And Duncan in the last play coulda dunked that np .. wth did he do.

p.d -- Spurs would lost by 30 points without Manu.

Mavs<Spurs
05-23-2006, 02:20 AM
I agree with those who are saying that Manu gave us the lead with the 3 and therefore, you can't say that Manu cost us the game.

Manu gave us the lead. Without his 3, we don't have a lead to protect.

I think that Manu's playoffs improved as they went along this year.

Manu will be ready to go next year.

Manu makes a lot more great plays than he makes mistakes. His mistakes are more than compensated for by the other things he brings to the table.

His indominable will. His drive. His never say die attitude. His hustle for every loose ball and rebound. His willingness to take charges. His steals.
Manu is one of the best 4 quarter players in the game. His first 3 are great too. But his 4th is amazing. He just will not give up.

I think that Manu is still our second best player. Tony deserved to be an all star and he has improved a lot as a player. In general, his jumpshot and his free throws improved quite a bit this season. Clearly we need to keep Tony.
I would just like to see him distribute the ball more often and better, getting other players involved and reduce his turnovers.
That's my biggest complaint regarding Tony, but I would never trade him. Just get him to work on that aspect of the game (making the players around him better).

Too many small shooting guards in the league already.

mFFL03
05-23-2006, 02:24 AM

Wow idiot. Look at the FT attempts for each team of this game for each team.

then think REAL HARD about your last paragraph.

we went against your team. you bitching. your refs. your home court. you fouled dirk on the last play, he went hard. Like he said "it was a lucky bounce" but still.....you had a lucky bounce against the KINGS remember?