PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs like Johnson's potential

Kori Ellis
10-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Spurs like Johnson's potential
Web Posted: 10/12/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich did a double-take the first time he saw Linton Johnson III at the team's practice facility last month. Popovich didn't know whether he was looking at a future Spur or a former one.

Johnson stood 6-foot-8 with a long, athletic, made-for-the-NBA body. His hair was close-cropped. And he was wearing an ear-to-ear smile.

Said Popovich: "I thought Jack was back in the gym."

For all the physical similarities Johnson shares with former Spurs guard Stephen Jackson, the team signed him because his defense more closely resembles that of Bruce Bowen. So far, however, his training-camp experience compares only to the one Manu Ginobili endured two years ago.

Johnson injured his left ankle last month before camp started and might be sidelined two more weeks. An MRI taken Monday revealed a bone bruise, but no structural damage.

After watching Ginobili hobble through the first month of his rookie season on a tender right ankle, the Spurs want to give Johnson enough time to properly heal. That means he probably won't be doing any significant running or cutting on the court for the next two weeks.

"The more I try to play on it," Johnson said, "the worse it gets."

Johnson rolled his ankle when he tried to cut off former Spurs forward Ira Newble during an informal workout at the team's practice facility. He felt fine after resting his foot the day players reported to camp, but the pain worsened during the team's first workout.

"There's nothing I could have done to prevent the injury from happening," Johnson said. "Now it's all about what you do after it. The best thing for me to do is to make this negative into a positive."

To do that, Johnson will try to learn as much of the Spurs' system as possible by watching the team practice while he rehabilitates his ankle. "When I get back," he said, "I want to fit right in."

Johnson, 24, has already learned the value of patience. Similar to Jackson, he did not play organized basketball for a year before landing his first NBA job.

After playing four seasons at Tulane, Johnson was passed over in the 2002 draft. He joined Chicago's summer-league team at the Rocky Mountain Revue, but played only 17 minutes in five games and was not offered a guaranteed contract.

Instead of taking a job playing for a professional team overseas, Johnson went back to Tulane for the 2002-03 school year and completed his finance degree. He was the first person from his mother's side of the family to graduate from college.

"I still had my passion for basketball," Johnson said. "I just figured if I got my degree, that would be something that nobody could take away from me, no matter what happened."

Johnson returned home to his native Chicago after graduating and was considering taking a job at H&R Block when he won a one-on-one tournament sponsored by former Bulls guard Randy Brown. Chicago assistant coach Pete Myers was at the tournament and suggested Johnson's name when the Bulls went looking for an extra body to fill out their training-camp roster.

Often the first player to arrive for practice and the last to leave, Johnson impressed the Chicago coaches with his work ethic and hustle. He played in 18 games before the Bulls waived him shortly before his contract became guaranteed. After Johnson spent six weeks with the CBA's Rockford Lightning, Chicago re-signed him to a pair of 10-day contracts, then elected to keep him for the remainder of the season. In 41 games, he averaged 4.2 points and 4.5 rebounds in 17.9 minutes.

Johnson's willingness to defend and rebound caught the attention of Spurs director of player personnel Sam Presti. He further impressed the team's coaches when he again played for Chicago at the Rocky Mountain Revue.

The Spurs gave Johnson a guaranteed contract, though that doesn't necessarily guarantee him a roster spot.

"We look at him like a Devin Brown kind of guy that given time and confidence ... he can be a very good basketball player," Popovich said. "We want to see what he can do."

Johnson, once he's healed, looks forward to showing them.

"I think they see it in me," he said. "If not, it's just going to be a bigger surprise when I come back."

Kori Ellis
10-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Looks like they will just let Linton sit on IR and get better. I know they are hoping that with some time he will really develop into something good for the team.

timvp
10-12-2004, 12:16 AM
I'm hoping he gets to play in some of the later preseason games. I liked what I saw of him last year and I liked him even more after seeing him in summer league. When the Spurs were searching for a long three, he was the obvious fit from the players at the RMR. He's big, long and as athletic as anyone there.

I think The Third is going to come in handy this year in spot minutes and has a chance to develop.

:smokin

emmo
10-12-2004, 12:28 AM
don't worry man, linton allready knows what he needs...

http://jetoner.free.fr/reggae/reggae/lkj3.jpg

timvp
10-12-2004, 12:29 AM
Nice one:lol

Kori Ellis
10-12-2004, 12:30 AM
I'm hoping he gets to play in some of the later preseason games.

I don't think they need to rush him into playing in preseason. By what Pop said Sunday, he isn't healing very rapidly at all. But at least they've made a commitment to having some patience and developing him.

TheWriter
10-12-2004, 12:42 AM
I still can't believe we signed this guy.

I remember watching him in summer league with Chicago. I was still high on Noel Felix and thinking he'd be our "long 3" that the Spurs wanted but when I watched a Bulls game I was really impressed with (who at the time of my post) this "Johnson" kid whose first name I didn't know. I then found out he was a RFA and pretty much threw those plans out the window. Weeks later I find out we sign some Linton Johnson III, I had no idea who he was and then I remembered. He was that "Johnson" guy I wanted the Spurs to sign.

He was quick in the post and had good control of the ball when he did his little moves in the paint. He's gonna be an awesome backup in the future.

Kori Ellis
10-12-2004, 12:50 AM
They also spelled his name wrong at RMR. It said "JONHSON" on his jersey. I have a picture of it somewhere. :lol

TheWriter
10-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Quick question, What the hell was Ira Newble doing in town? Besides hurting our players.

lol

timvp
10-12-2004, 12:58 AM
The Spurs had a lot of players in town in the summer. There were constant games being run in the practice facility for the past couple months.

Phenomanul
10-12-2004, 07:20 AM
Quick question, What the hell was Ira Newble doing in town? Besides hurting our players.

lol

I had the very same exact question.... doesn't this kid now play with the bron bron's...

Marcus Bryant
10-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich did a double-take the first time he saw Linton Johnson III at the team's practice facility last month. Popovich didn't know whether he was looking at a future Spur or a former one.

Johnson stood 6-foot-8 with a long, athletic, made-for-the-NBA body. His hair was close-cropped. And he was wearing an ear-to-ear smile.

Said Popovich: "I thought Jack was back in the gym."

They all look the same, don't they Gregg?

I kid. I kid.

Kori Ellis
10-12-2004, 01:07 PM
I had the very same exact question.... doesn't this kid now play with the bron bron's...

A lot of players from other teams work out here in the summer and use the facility. Jeff Foster does and so do several other players who base themselves in S.A. in the offseason.

ShoogarBear
10-12-2004, 04:39 PM
A lot of players from other teams work out here in the summer and use the facility.
Smart move. Gives folks something to think about when free agency rolls around.

Marcus Bryant
10-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Smart move. Gives folks something to think about when free agency rolls around.

Yeah, you gotta put on your best face before you give them the limo ride down Austin Highway...

blackbucket
10-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Every town has an Austin Hwy or much, much, much worse.

Marcus Bryant
10-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Just being a little facetious, but the problem is that SA doesn't have that much more in comparison to most NBA cities. I like the lifestyle, but it's not for everyone.