PDA

View Full Version : Popovich: Parker pact talks possible

Kori Ellis
10-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Popovich: Parker pact talks possible
Web Posted: 10/12/2004 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101204.3D.spursnotes.10e396082.html

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he hasn't ruled out the possibility of the team resuming negotiations on a contract extension for Tony Parker.

"If we get a contract done now, fine," Popovich said. "If we don't, we'll get it done next summer.

"Tony is the same priority Manu (Ginobili) was. He's somebody we want to have here for a very long time and we want to get it done. But whether it's this time or next summer, I don't really care, personally.

"All I know is the lines of communication between Tony and I are open. I don't really care about much else."

If his contract is not extended, Parker will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

Getting close: After spending the past month recovering from the effects of playing in the Olympics, Ginobili is slowly working his way back into shape.

"Today I did the entire (three-hour) practice and am starting to feel better," Ginobili said. "I'm still way behind the other guys, but we still have a lot of time and preseason games. I'm very optimistic."

timvp
10-12-2004, 12:17 AM
So much for Pop drawing a line in the sand. He should just admit now that they'll take all the time they want to get this done.

genghisrex
10-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Tony is the same priority Manu (Ginobili) was. He's somebody we want to have here for a very long time and we want to get it done. But whether it's this time or next summer, I don't really care, personally.
By same priority I wonder if Pop means same $?

All I know is the lines of communication between Tony and I are open. I don't really care about much else.
I'm probably reading too much into this, but this reminds me a little of the SJax negotiations. In other words, it sounds like Pop might be calling on Tony to get involved more in the contract talks because he thinks that Fleisher is acting too much like an agent (i.e. asking for more even if Tony is okay with less).