PDA

View Full Version : It's official - Dallas vs. Phoenix WCF

Leetonidas
05-23-2006, 12:22 AM
You're going to have your hands full with those Suns. Good luck.

SA210
05-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Go Pheonix!

Budkin
05-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Are you kidding? The Mavs are going to steamroll the Suns. But they are going down against the Pistons without a doubt.

spurs_666
05-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Without Amare, Mavs will win, FA SHO!!

Leetonidas
05-23-2006, 12:24 AM
If the Suns go on a three-point barrage, things won't be looking good for them. They have the quickness to keep up and they are the defenition of small ball. I think Dallas will win, but not as easily as most think.

SA210
05-23-2006, 12:24 AM
Are you kidding? The Mavs are going to steamroll the Suns. But they are going down against the Pistons without a doubt.
But hopefully they can take them 6 or 7 and wear them down for Detroit.

dunkinduncan
05-23-2006, 12:25 AM
dallas will loose especially if the refs stop their daggumn cheating@!! dirk its the stupidest cheate ewver!! goatfaced nazi cheater111

Cant_Be_Faded
05-23-2006, 12:25 AM
Are you kidding? Dallas is going to own the Suns like people thought USC would own Texas.

However, dallas has no chance against detroit.....unless they get repeats of games 3 and 4 against them.

This is like the FUCKING TWILIGHT ZONE and i still cannot get over it....phoenix vs dallas for the WCFs???? One of these two suck ass teams are going to the finals?

Fuck me.

T-Pain
05-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Go Suns Go!!!!

spurs_666
05-23-2006, 12:26 AM

Get your fact straight, budkin. Mavs beat the Pistons completely in the first game of the season. In the second game that we lost to them this season, Mavs didn't have Josh howard, Griffin, and one other person.

jamezyjamez
05-23-2006, 12:27 AM
But hopefully they can take them 6 or 7 and wear them down for Detroit.

Either team could beat Detroit. I like the Pistons too, but they are overrated. Their best post player shoots nothing but 3's! Do you think Sheed/Rip/Billups are better than TD/Manu/TP? If so, then I guess the Mavs are in trouble.

I happen to think the Spurs are better.

Spurologist
05-23-2006, 12:27 AM
The wet dreams Stern and Cuban had together are finally coming true.

AceProfits
05-23-2006, 12:28 AM

You will be surprised! These Suns can and will beat the Mavericks. They are the true small ball playa's! If it was us playin them we would crush them.

And one more time to annoy all you fake us admin's joining all the threads and telling us what to talk about:
Fuck small ball! Fuck Pop! and most importantly Fuck you!

Go ahead now and delete me you fuckin gay as no life message board working idiots!

Let the people control the boards we are the ones talking you morons. We post and then lose our place looking through everything to see where you joined our discussions. Lamerds!

gameFACE
05-23-2006, 12:28 AM
I'm not necessarily ruling the Suns out. They have come pretty far without Amare so I would say anything is possible. The Suns would definitely get ripped by the Pistons, though. The Mavs would give the Pistons a run for their money.

Russ
05-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Phoenix -- 0 titles.

Dallas -- 0 titles.

Miami -- 0 titles.

Detroit -- at least 3 titles.

Detroit adds on.

windboy226
05-23-2006, 01:05 AM
definitely worried about the series with Phoenix and was rooting hard for the Clippers tonight..We have matchup problems with them and we probably won't start Harris this series. Hopefully Terry and Harris can wear Nash out and Nowitzki continues to play out of his mind like he's done this playoff year.

Nocioni
05-23-2006, 01:14 AM
marion probably the best dirk defender

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-23-2006, 01:18 AM
Mavs-Heat finals it looks like its going to be

Mavs are better than the Suns, they can play D but have shown that they can score 100+ on the Spurs this series. The Pistons look much weaker than last years finals run and the heat role players are finally stepping up

J.T.
05-23-2006, 01:18 AM
Suns in 6.

Pandaemonaeon
05-23-2006, 01:22 AM

I don't think so. I'm actually more scared of Phoenix than any team not because they're good or any better it's just that our style works in their favor. We beat them the first 2 games when they had a slower more deliberate approach with Kurt starting.

If we get past the Suns, I could breathe easier. I can see us beating Miami 4-1 (possibly even a sweep) or the Pistons 4-2. I don't think any of those teams match up with us.

AMOS7
05-23-2006, 01:23 AM
Suns will win because they can't stop Phoenix.

BillsCarnage
05-23-2006, 01:33 AM
True.. true.. Marion, despite his size deficiency, is probably the best defender in the league against Dirk.

Mavs-Heat finals it looks like its going to be

Mavs are better than the Suns, they can play D but have shown that they can score 100+ on the Spurs this series. The Pistons look much weaker than last years finals run and the heat role players are finally stepping up

Here's the thing... The Mave HAVE TO take care of the Suns in 5 or 6 games. They do not want it to go seven as the Suns have shown what they can do in game sevens so far. Even after KT went down the Suns still beat the Mavs in Dallas.

Dallas wants to slow the game down more than they did last season. Avery won't let them get out and run like they used to. And this may end up being an advantage for the Suns if the series stretches out. Are the Mavs still conditioned to run for 44+ min of a game, or will they tire out?

These extra few days of rest are exactly what the Suns needed to recharge the batteries for one last run.

Anyway, that's why the play the games and hopefully it'll be a fun series to watch.

:fro

mother
05-23-2006, 01:38 AM
will k.thomas be playing in game 1?

JHoLove
05-23-2006, 01:39 AM
Suns will win because they can't stop Phoenix.

hmmmmm

BillsCarnage
05-23-2006, 01:48 AM
will k.thomas be playing in game 1?

Gm1 might be a good game to get him going, but i really don't know. He's real close to coming back - i think he suited up tonight. They desperately need another body inside but he's not in game shape yet.

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-23-2006, 01:51 AM
They do not want it to go seven as the Suns have shown what they can do in game sevens so far.

at home that is.........no homecourt this time, the suns arent that great on the road

BillsCarnage
05-23-2006, 02:02 AM
at home that is.........no homecourt this time, the suns arent that great on the road

Aren't that great on the road????

Gm 6 vs LAL
Gm 3 vs LAC
Beat the Mavs IN Dallas after KT went down.

Everyone keeps saying they can't..

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Aren't that great on the road????

Gm 6 vs LAL
Gm 3 vs LAC
Beat the Mavs IN Dallas after KT went down.

Everyone keeps saying they can't..

2 games ?

Dallas has won 4 road games this season already

2 vs Grizzlies
2 vs Spurs....

i think the Suns are a great team and a true example that run and gun teams can still win in the playoffs but the Mavs just seem way too good this season.

The Lakers had a couple of good games as a unit b4 they crashed to reality
Clippers arent nearly as tough oas the mavs. After watching the Nuggs-Clipps series i saw that they are good but not that great. Half the reason the Nuggs got whooped was coz of the in-fighting, k's suspension and the fact they have no shooters to help Melo. I know after watching that series that the Suns would take care of them but Dallas is on a whole different level to the Clipps again

and again homecourt for them will be huge this series

J.T.
05-23-2006, 03:32 AM
I'm not a real big fan of the Suns but they have at least given us some entertaining playoff series so far. I think they can beat Dallas. I hope they do, Dallas is on my permanent blacklist. So best of luck to the Suns, I hope Nash shows them why he's the MVP and why he left Dallas. Choke Mavs, fucking choke on it hard.

Suns in 6.

jochhejaam
05-23-2006, 06:38 AM
This is an evenly matched series, the 2 teams split the regular season games with each team winning once on the road. Phoenix won the last 2 games by 7 each game and lost in OT at home and by 6.

Edge to no one, should be a good series to watch.

J.T.
05-23-2006, 07:41 AM
It would be blissful irony for Phoenix to go up 3-1, tank the next 2, and then slaughter the Mavs at home in Game 7. Fuck, I'd buy a Nash jersey and go to Dallas just to watch that.

MadDog73
05-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Geez, I know we just lost to the Mavs, but isn't this a little wishful thinking?

If the Suns couldn't beat the Spurs, what chance do you think they have against the Mavs?

Mavs in 6.

This season is all about revenge for the Mavs. Spurs were first on their list. Now, it's time for them to erase that disappointing loss to the Suns last year.

Pandaemonaeon
05-23-2006, 09:29 AM
If the Suns couldn't beat the Spurs, what chance do you think they have against the Mavs?

Match-ups. I don't think we could beat them in a running, shoot-em-up contest.

MadDog73
05-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Match-ups. I don't think we could beat them in a running, shoot-em-up contest.

Sure you could. Dallas has better shooters than PHX. Plus, Dallas plays great transistion D. Better defense + better offense = Mavs win.

So far, PHX has not played a really good basketball team yet. They should be steamrolled by the Mavs. That, and Mavs want redemption. They are hungry, they won't give up, and they'll find a way to win.

kalikot_boy_kr
05-23-2006, 09:50 AM
ilove the spurs and the piston....

SirChaz
05-23-2006, 10:36 AM
I think the Suns match up pretty well with the Mavs.
Much better than they matchup with the Spurs.

It should be an entertaining series.

The Suns have to rebound to run. If they can run they can win.
Suns in 6.

JamStone
05-23-2006, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't count out Phoenix.

If they force Dallas to go small ball like Dallas did to San Antonio, the Suns are even better at that than the Mavs are.

Devin Harris v. Leandro Barbosa would be fun to watch.

I don't think the Mavs necessarily dominate on the boards either.

Transition defense will be a very big factor in the series.

I think Dallas is probably better balanced as a team. But, Phoenix is so good in transition, and Steve Nash is so good at forcing a switch out of the pick-and-roll to create a mismatch. It's just going to be a lot more interesting than a lot of people think.

I think it could go Dallas in five or Phoenix in 6.

Not sure just yet.

BillsCarnage
05-23-2006, 11:43 AM
2 games ?

Dallas has won 4 road games this season already

2 vs Grizzlies
2 vs Spurs....

i think the Suns are a great team and a true example that run and gun teams can still win in the playoffs but the Mavs just seem way too good this season.
True.. true...

The Lakers had a couple of good games as a unit b4 they crashed to reality Clippers arent nearly as tough oas the mavs. After watching the Nuggs-Clipps series i saw that they are good but not that great. Half the reason the Nuggs got whooped was coz of the in-fighting, k's suspension and the fact they have no shooters to help Melo. I know after watching that series that the Suns would take care of them but Dallas is on a whole different level to the Clipps again

and again homecourt for them will be huge this series

No doubt, but i think the Clips inside game is better than the Mavs. The post season is all about matchups and Dallas is one team that the Suns matchup well against. No doubt the Mavs are a better overall balanced team. And the Suns have been in more must win games this post season than any other team this far. That will help should they get in a hole.

Hey, the day Amare went down literally everyone has been saying the Suns can't do anything - were lottery bound. Yet here they are in the WCF's again.. With no Amare... With no KT...

The little team that can't, sure as hell is.

JMarkJohns
05-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Sure you could. Dallas has better shooters than PHX. Plus, Dallas plays great transistion D. Better defense + better offense = Mavs win.

I debated whether to even respond. I thought better at first, but frankly do not care anymore...

Dallas has better shooters? Are you insane? Are you unaware that the Suns led the NBA in ever major shooting percentage?

Dallas has a better offense? You must be insane. Are you not aware that the Suns led the League in every significant offensive category?

Dallas has a better defense, but Marion always plays Dirk tough and after that, the Mavericks don't really have a low-post threat that's going to force the Suns to double every possession. The Suns defensive weakness stems from low-post inability more than anything. Nash is a liability, but the Suns have the speed and length to work past it.

The Mavericks are a very good rebounding team, but they aren't a traditional rebounding team. They don't position themselves, body up and box-out. They swoop in and rebound, or basically what Phoenix does. If Phoenix can limit the amount of offensive rebounds Dallas gets, then there first-possession defense will do them just fine to be in every game.

Suns take care of the ball, they shoot and they have been getting to the FT line with pretty good consistancy.

This series really shouldn't be a steamroll, though anything can happen.

I think Dallas wins. Most likely in five or seven, since I don't see the Suns losing a game six at home.

It is all about matchups and this series bodes well for Phoenix. It bodes better for Dallas, mainly because they are deeper, but Phoenix has a chance.

Remember, Phoenix won the last two regular season meetings between the two teams, splitting the season series 2-2 with Dallas, losing the first two games by a total of nine points while winning the last two by a total of 21.

Obviously things aren't quite so lopsided as you make it out to be.

MadDog73
05-23-2006, 01:26 PM
I debated whether to even respond. I thought better at first, but frankly do not care anymore...

Dallas has better shooters? Are you insane? Are you unaware that the Suns led the NBA in ever major shooting percentage?

Regular season stats mean shit. In the playoffs, they're allowing a better FG% than they are shooting.

They will lose against the Mavs doing that.

http://www.nba.com/suns/stats/

RON ARTEST
05-23-2006, 03:05 PM
whoever thinks the suns are winning this series is just hoping the mavs lose cause they beat the spurs. the mavs will win in 6 or 7. most likely 6 because dirk will own whoever they put on him. if bowen couldnt guard him then who the hell is gonna guard him on the suns? not to mention nash plays no defense and terry would kill him. the suns will never win a title if they keep playing the way they play.

RON ARTEST
05-23-2006, 03:06 PM
and dirk will still own him.

JMarkJohns
05-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Regular season stats mean shit. In the playoffs, they're allowing a better FG% than they are shooting.

They will lose against the Mavs doing that.

http://www.nba.com/suns/stats/

That's because they've been beaten up down low. That's not going to happen this series. It's an evenly matched series that could easily be decided because of home-court and not much else.

I do think the Mavs are the better team, mainly because they are deeper, but if the Mavericks try and out-Suns the Suns, they'll more than likely lose.

Diop and Dampier will not factor into this series, because if they try and guard Thomas and Diaw, they'll foul out in 10 minutes.

That means it's two perimeter teams playing a perimeter game. One team has better perimeter players, the other has more perimeter talent.

Both teams will slug it out. I really doubt it's a steamroll like you proclaim.

MadDog73
05-23-2006, 05:03 PM
I really doubt it's a steamroll like you proclaim.

Well, yeah, I got a little carried away.

Mavs in 6 is hardly "steamrolling." Sorry. :oops

Mavs<Spurs
05-23-2006, 05:17 PM
If the Suns go on a three-point barrage, things won't be looking good for them. They have the quickness to keep up and they are the defenition of small ball. I think Dallas will win, but not as easily as most think.

I agree with this.

AJ better forget about trying to go small against Phoenix.

Dirk will have difficulty with Marion.

Problem is that Jason Terry, Marquis Daniels, Devin Harris and Josh Howard will be in the paint scoring layup after layup.

Mavs<Spurs
05-23-2006, 05:27 PM

Dallas has a better offense? You must be insane. Are you not aware that the Suns led the League in every significant offensive category?

Dallas has a better defense, but Marion always plays Dirk tough and after that, the Mavericks don't really have a low-post threat that's going to force the Suns to double every possession. The Suns defensive weakness stems from low-post inability more than anything. Nash is a liability, but the Suns have the speed and length to work past it.

The Mavericks are a very good rebounding team, but they aren't a traditional rebounding team. They don't position themselves, body up and box-out. They swoop in and rebound, or basically what Phoenix does. If Phoenix can limit the amount of offensive rebounds Dallas gets, then there first-possession defense will do them just fine to be in every game.

Suns take care of the ball, they shoot and they have been getting to the FT line with pretty good consistancy.

This series really shouldn't be a steamroll, though anything can happen.

I think Dallas wins. Most likely in five or seven, since I don't see the Suns losing a game six at home.

It is all about matchups and this series bodes well for Phoenix. It bodes better for Dallas, mainly because they are deeper, but Phoenix has a chance.

Remember, Phoenix won the last two regular season meetings between the two teams, splitting the season series 2-2 with Dallas, losing the first two games by a total of nine points while winning the last two by a total of 21.

Obviously things aren't quite so lopsided as you make it out to be.

Good Points.

One final concern that I have is that Marion will get worn out guarding Dirk and therefore become ineffective offensively.

I think Marion can guard Dirk and make life difficult for him. However, Marion needs to score well for the Suns to win. If he can do both, Suns have a chance to beat the Mavs in the series (since as you point out the Mavs don't have a low post threat and that is where the Suns can really get hurt). The Suns liability defensively in the low post (without Amare and Thomas) is not a Mavs strength.

So, in a sense this is a matchup between two perimeter teams. Only the Suns do it better.

Both teams routinely have layup drills against the other teams defenses.
However, Dallas does have major athletes at the guard / small forward position in Jason Terry, Devin Harris, Marquis Daniels, Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse. This could prove decisive. I suspect that this will be decisive.

Dallas does clearly have much better defense.

I would like to see Avery go small ball with the Suns, especially with a healthy Amare Stoudamire (all world athlete)!!!!

Mavs in 6, yes even in Phoenix.

But I still am cheering for the Suns! Go Suns!!!

Not as much of a blowout as people might first imagine because the matchups aren't a huge advantage for Dallas!!!

tempe85
05-23-2006, 06:20 PM

Yeah the Suns fourth best road record in the league was just awful. They might as well quit while they're ahead.

LEONARD
05-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Are you kidding? Dallas is going to own the Suns like people thought USC would own Texas.

However, dallas has no chance against detroit.....unless they get repeats of games 3 and 4 against them.

This is like the FUCKING TWILIGHT ZONE and i still cannot get over it....phoenix vs dallas for the WCFs???? One of these two suck ass teams are going to the finals?

Fuck me.

Wow...Heat up 1-0 :lol

leemajors
05-24-2006, 01:53 PM
every advantage dallas had vs the spurs, the suns are better at than the mavs. the mavs are still deeper, but dirk won't be able to relax on d like he did last series - he's gonna have to guard diaw or marion, who are both quicker than he is and good offensively. the mavs should win, but i wouldn't be surprised if the suns did. we could see some 140-135 games, but i don't think avery wants to pursue that type of game. then again, they can't really slow the tempo down too much vs the suns. leonard, i don't get the 06-07 jersey in your sig, it makes as much sense as calling a UT grad a t-sip.

LEONARD
05-24-2006, 02:21 PM
leonard, i don't get the 06-07 jersey in your sig, it makes as much sense as calling a UT grad a t-sip.

It's a joke..."Spares"...

MadDog73
05-24-2006, 02:26 PM
It's a joke..."Spares"...

ahh, i thought it was "Spores"...

Islymore
05-24-2006, 02:30 PM
while this will be a tuff series, i definitely disagree with the sentiment that MARION is the best DIRK defender... BOWEN easily takes that crown by a mile... When actually neither of them should be able to guard him like they do.

i see this series going 6 games and 6 games only, even at home in Phoenix. I say the Mavs in 6. 7 would be tuff on both teams. And im not certain either of them would have too much more to give, 'specially phoenix coming off two back to back 7 game series.

Avery is pretty smart as a coach, no way can we run with the Suns...nobody can. So I say rather than run with them, slow them down. make them play a slow game. dont let them get too many fast break points. make them fight to get a shot.def guard the 3 pt line bc they got way too many shooters... and just keep them playin' Mavs 05/06 ball rather than Mavs 02/03 ball.

ponky
05-24-2006, 04:01 PM
every advantage dallas had vs the spurs, the suns are better at than the mavs. the mavs are still deeper, but dirk won't be able to relax on d like he did last series - he's gonna have to guard diaw or marion, who are both quicker than he is and good offensively. the mavs should win, but i wouldn't be surprised if the suns did. we could see some 140-135 games, but i don't think avery wants to pursue that type of game. then again, they can't really slow the tempo down too much vs the suns. leonard, i don't get the 06-07 jersey in your sig, it makes as much sense as calling a UT grad a t-sip.

you're right, dirk can't relax on d, but then neither can nash...wait, does he even play d? nash has never been the most conditioned guy, hopefully he won't wear down with these games being played every other day now...i still think it's going to be a tight series, the mavs will win, but they can't just relax and think they have a pass to the finals