PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the Mavs

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 12:45 AM
When it came down to it, the Mavs had the depth to go seven games and win it. The Spurs tried their hardest and battled back to get the game to OT but just didn't have enough in the tank. With the Spurs centers useless, the Spurs bench was weak this series and I think that really cost them.

Good luck to the Mavs against the Suns.

I hope this offseason the Spurs will do what they need to do and make another run at it next year.

Smackie Chan
05-23-2006, 12:46 AM
And congrats to your Suns :smokin

DuncanInYourFace
05-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Mavs were NOT the better team this series IMO (not that it counts for much)

I will never give congrats to the mavs, they didnt deserve this series b/c of games 3 & 4

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Mavs were NOT the better team this series IMO (not that it counts for much)

I will never give congrats to the mavs, they didnt deserve this series b/c of games 3 & 4

Then take your ass to that whining thread stuck at the top of the forum. This thread is for congratulations.

mouse
05-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Thanks

SequSpur
05-23-2006, 12:53 AM
WGAF Mouse? I mean really, they are just doing their show in their own fucking way.

Turn the fucking dial already.

pking
05-23-2006, 12:53 AM
When it came down to it, the Mavs had the depth to go seven games and win it. The Spurs tried their hardest and battled back to get the game to OT but just didn't have enough in the tank. With the Spurs centers useless, the Spurs bench was weak this series and I think that really cost them.

I hope this offseason the Spurs will do what they need to do and make another run at it next year.

:D

Thanks!

JHoLove
05-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the congrats. What a great series.

jamezyjamez
05-23-2006, 12:55 AM
Thanks, Kori. And thanks for running a fun board.

Props to both teams in what will no doubt go down as the best series of this postseason. Much respect to the Spurs for an awesome season (63 wins is an accomplishment, to be sure) and on making tonight's Game 7 some of the most entertaining basketball I've ever seen.

We'll do our best to keep this thing in-state so we can go another 7 next year for the title.

windboy226
05-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Kori..once again you run this board with class...great series-really thought the game was over when Ginobilli hit that 3. I'm sure this isn't the last time the Spurs and Mavs meet. Thanks for this great board and allowing fans of other teams to post in it...

pking
05-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Kori..once again you run this board with class...great series-really thought the game was over when Ginobilli hit that 3. I'm sure this isn't the last time the Spurs and Mavs meet. Thanks for this great board and allowing fans of other teams to post in it...

Ah, agreed.

ponky
05-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Hey Kori,
You run the best and most entertaining board in the league, I'm really impressed. Great series, and ala Rasheed, "bof' teams played hard." I like the comfort of Mavtalk but there are some craaaaaazy loyal posters on this board.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 01:00 AM
I was almost crying in the locker room .. so I don't know if I'm really taking the loss with class or grace. :lol But I'm trying to be good about it.

Mouse - That's their deal on the radio -- they are homers. I think they might be that way because they think that's what fans want to hear -- excuses. But honestly there's nothing to excuse or complain about. This was a very hard fought series, it came down to just a rebound, a possession, a basket each and every game. It was an epic series. Tim Duncan said after the game that it was the best series he's been in (including the 7 game series to win the title last season). Spurs just got beat. It happens.

texas84
05-23-2006, 01:01 AM

Agreed also... not all of us Mavs fans are a-holes. Thanks to all the Spurs fans who kept a level head in this series (as i did) and for having a good forum to chat in.

Fantastic series, even if the Mavs would have lost, i loved the series itself.

pking
05-23-2006, 01:02 AM
You work for the media or the organization?

Melmart1
05-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Even though it pains me to say it, I think Dirk finally turned the corner with the playoff clutch performance stigma. He was a beast and we really had no answer for him and nobody could effectively guard him. Congrats to him.

2centsworth
05-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Congrats to the Mavs they showed a lot of heart this series.

Spurs will be back.

Nbadan
05-23-2006, 01:03 AM
The Spurs are a Jason Terry from winning this series. Glacing over the Spurs contracts on Hoopshype (http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm) it looks like the Spurs aren't really saving much money even if they let Mohammed and Nick walk away because of automatic increases to the big three - Manu, Parker, Tim. The Spurs need an athletic 3 who can spread the floor on offense and isn't allergic to playing D. If I was Brent Barry, I wouldn't be making any big real estate investments in San Antonio.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 01:04 AM
You work for the media or the organization?

Media.

WOAI.

blaze89
05-23-2006, 01:04 AM
This a great site, run very well and with class. Thanx!

As far as the series, it was close as close could be. If's and's and but's, I'm always amazed at the know-it-all's but in the end that makes great debate and it what also makes this board good. I mean without conflict, it'd be pretty much boring.

koopa
05-23-2006, 01:05 AM
yeah congrats to the mavs. i think it's stupid to say the better team didn't win in a 7 games seires. just don't see how the better team loses 4 games. so the mavs were the better team THIS YEAR. we'll be back. but again congrats to the mavs for finally getting over the hump that is the spurs

2centsworth
05-23-2006, 01:06 AM
The Spurs are a Jason Terry from winning this series. Glacing over the Spurs contracts on Hoopshype (http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm) it looks like the Spurs aren't really saving much money even if they let Mohammed and Nick walk away because of automatic increases to the big three - Manu, Parker, Tim. The Spurs need an athletic 3 who can spread the floor on offense and isn't allergic to playing D. If I was Brent Barry, I wouldn't be making any big real estate investments in San Antonio.

Dirk forces the spurs to sign an athletic defensive bigman too.

pking
Media.

WOAI.

Ah, I see. That's cool.

Vashner
Congrats Mav's... Nowitzki and team did good.

AJ congrats.. but learn to chill more and not loose cool.

angel_luv
05-23-2006, 01:07 AM
This is my attempt to follow the good example I saw Timmy set for me on court.

Congratulations to the Mavs.

That is all.

baseline bum
05-23-2006, 01:08 AM
If you gotta lose, tha's the way to go out. The Mavericks were the better team, which is why they went up 3-1 and were up 20 in game 7. Yet, this team had no quit, forced a 7th game when they looked dead in the water, and had a great shot to win a game that looked like they had no business being in. This is one of the Spurs teams I'm most proud of. Tim, Manu, Bruce, Fin, and TP were outstanding in this unforgettable series. Now that it's over and the hatred is dead, big ups to Nowitzki and Jason Terry, as well as Stackhouse.

Dirk has grown tremendously, and showed an amazing hunger this series. His defense is miles ahead of where it was just 3 years ago when I felt his injury actually helped the Mavericks. He's finally become that MVP level player I felt like he'd eventually grow to be 3 years ago. Terry's a stone-cold killer when you need a big shot, as he's been since his days in Atlanta. Stackhouse hit the biggest shot of the series, and made the play on the ball on Finley's shot that ended our series.

I have no regrets, and I doubt the Spurs do either. They gave everything they had. I don't think there's much more our core could have done. They were out-executed by the better team, plain and simple. Losing sucks, but I'll always have fond memories of this amazing series.

Congrats to AJ too. He's not PE#1 anymore until November rolls around. PS Kori, I called the Spurs win and lost, so don't forget to change my title.

Until May 22nd, 2007, I'm Dallas' Bitch :lol

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=980848#post980848

RealEstateDude
05-23-2006, 01:10 AM
Congrats Mavs and keep Texas alive in the NBA, win it all!!!

timvp
05-23-2006, 01:10 AM
Chin up.

There is always next year.

Three championship trophies can never be taken away.

Shank
05-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Thanks, Kori. Sorry for being an ass. It's just my nature.

It's just sad to see the number of Spurs fans hop on the Pistons bandwagon just because they don't like the Mavs. Props to all the real Spurs fans on here that are already looking forward to next season and aren't making lame excuses.

baseline bum
05-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Chin up.

There is always next year.

Three championship trophies can never be taken away.

Like you said in 2004, losses like this make you understand just how precious and hard championships are. One foul by Manu was the difference in this team likely taking another title, just like one Robert Horry shot was last year, one Derek Fisher shot in 2004, one Robert Horry shot in 2003.... maybe even one Kobe Bryant rebound in 2002.

conneaut615
05-23-2006, 07:10 AM

Kudos to the Mavs. Shooting 83% in the first quarter was simply amazing. They played inspired basketball and I think we all knew an OT would not result in a good outcome for the Spurs. They just ran out of gas. Good luck Mavs. Congratulations.

sanman53
05-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Congrads Mavs. You were on fire in Game 7, when it counted. Good job and good luck.

WayDowntownBang
05-23-2006, 07:22 AM
When I log into Spurstalk, I walk into enemy territory. When the Pistons played the Spurs last year, it was heated, and the board was heated too. There were fans that were cool on both sides, and there were fans that were complete asswipes on both sides. It seems as if this series is no different, which is a friendly reminder that most sports fans are pretty much the same, no matter which city you live in.

To the Mavs and the fans who 'get it', congrats. I just posted something else where I'm pretty heated about your owner, but if you've posted in this thread, you're the fans I'm talking to. The classy NBA fans that give credit where it's due, and accept credit with respect. Not a bad thing to say about any one of you.

Congrats to you guys, and may the Pistons still have a date with the Texas representative. I've got my reasons ;)

ShoogarBear
05-23-2006, 07:25 AM
Congrats to the Mav players and Mav coaches. I have nothing but respect for them.

spurster
05-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Congrats to the Mavs. Cuban, however, can stick it where the sun don't shine.

alamo50
05-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Congratulations to the little general, Rolando Blackman, Dell Harris, Joe Puntry, Laura Green and Nowitszki.

Fuck you Cuban.

1Parker1
05-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Congrats, Mavs :depressed

Spurs weaknesses really showed through in this series. Our age, lack of a quality/versatile center, inconsistent bench, etc. If the Spurs couldn't beat the Mavs ON THEIR HC in a Game 7...no way were they going to beat the Pistons if it came to that.

I sincerely hope that this lights a fire in the Spurs next season, like it obviously did for the Pistons this season, and drives them to another championship :tu

This one hurts, especially after such a hard fought battle. :(

themvp
05-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Congratulations to Dallas Mavericks.

Hope to see ya next year.

George Gervin's Afro
05-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Congratulations to the Mavericks on a great game and series. I do also have to give our guys a heck of a lot of credit for withstanding the 69% shooting in the first half. At times I felt we not only were playing against the Mavs but destiny as well. I had a gut feeling this is the Mavs 'year'.

spur219
05-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Congrats Mavs.

romsho
05-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Congratulations, Dallas. As much as it hurts, I have alot of respect for the way Nowitzki has stepped up his entire game and become not only a superstar but a leader. Length, athleticism, scoring punch from so many places , even defense in spurts, that team has really grown under Avery Johnson and become a force. Very impressive. Best of luck.

MadDog73
05-23-2006, 08:36 AM
As a Spurs fan, I'm of course very disappointed.

But as a Basketball fan... wow. What a great game for the Mavs. Dirk proved he deserves a shot at being Finals MVP. I can't wait for the Mavs vs Pistons in the Finals. Bottom line, Mavs deserved this.

Oh, and AJ showed great class by thanking the Spurs organization. I have new respect for Avery and wish him and the Mavs the best.

dougp
05-23-2006, 08:40 AM
No congrats to the Mavs, congrats to the Refs. The only true team that pulled through in the long run. Mavs lose to Phoenix, and they will go down to the Pistons. Here's to Mark Cuban DIAF.

CubanMustGo
05-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Congrats to Dallas. The better team, and sad to say, better coached team won last night.

Dirk is going to be a monster after making that huge three-point play at the end of regulation last night. This has got to be the best playoff series he has had by a long shot. Looking forward to seeing what he does in the Finals.

Oh, Gee!!
05-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Fuck

Oh, Gee!!
05-23-2006, 08:52 AM
the

Oh, Gee!!
05-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Mavs

Oh, Gee!!
05-23-2006, 08:53 AM
and their shitty fans

MadDog73
05-23-2006, 09:00 AM
classy, oh gee. :rolleyes

SpursWoman
05-23-2006, 09:05 AM

:tu

spur219
05-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Congrats to Mavs. Im not hopping on the Pistons bandwagon at all. I just like them more than the Mavs and that team is very similar to the Spurs in form of dedication and work ethic. That is why I am siding with them.

Oh, Gee!!
05-23-2006, 09:13 AM
classy, oh gee. :rolleyes

it's how I roll.

Spurminator
05-23-2006, 09:33 AM
You have to wonder what the Mavs' record would have looked like if they hadn't had so many injuries to key role players this year. Maybe they would have been the top seed. Fortunately for them, they got healthy for the time of the season that counts, and against an equally healthy Spurs team, they looked better.

The Mavs hit so many huge shots last night. Can't take anything away from them. Great win, great series.

ObiwanGinobili
05-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Congrats to the Mavs. :tu

mark cuban can lick my ass.

jmard5
05-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Congrats to the Mavs!

gogojojo
05-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks Spurs Fans. You guys need a center for next year.

And by the way Cuban does suck!@!@!!!!

DarrinS
05-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Congrats to Mavs. Good luck with Phoenix.

I'm still pushing Cuban in the river if I ever see him down there. :fro

venitian navigator
05-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Congrats to the mavs...and specially to A.J. !
To Mr. Cuban too, but t man really needs to behave...and grow up!!!

strangeweather
05-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Congrats to the Mavs. You guys got it done. And congrats to AJ -- you can definitely lead a team as well from the sidelines as you did on the court.

And good luck going forward -- it seems hard to believe after all that, but you guys have a lot more basketball ahead of you.

justbrowsing
05-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Congrats to Mavs. Good luck with Phoenix.

I'm still pushing Cuban in the river if I ever see him down there. :fro

Ha! Can I help you with that? He has made the organization look ridiculous the past few weeks. He's normally over the top, but he has been a complete ass during the series. He's been hypocritical, and personally, even though he has done so much to help the Mavs, I'm quite ashamed he's the owner of my team.

Most of you in this thread have shown true class. After the game I was extremely impressed to see your guys congratulating us and wishing us luck. I hope that if we would have lost, the Mavs would have done the same thing. Good luck next year! Most of you seem like great fans. I'll be around lurking I'm sure.

austinfan
05-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Congrats to the Mavs for an amazing series. Congrats to AJ--the guy is a superb coach and is going to be winning in this League for a long time to come (hopefully he'll want to come back down to SA after Pop retires). Congrats to Dirk Nowitzski. I don't feel the warm fuzzies for him, exactly, he's not that type of player, but he deserves lots of respect for playing as incredibly well as he did straight through the series.

Cuban though? Somebody get that guy a muzzle and/or some tranquilizers to calm him down. What is it with owners of Dallas teams being so invested in their teams to the point where they feel like they have to hang out in the huddle with them?

clambake
05-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Great thread filled with top notch, first class spurs fans. Still hard to believe that I'm not congratulating the spurs and their fans for a super comeback win. This is the best forum on the planet.

mavsfan1000
05-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the congrats. The spurs showed heart coming back from a 20 point lead. The mavs played one of their best games when it counted. I agree this is the best forum on the planet.

Mavtek
05-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks!! GO MAVS!!

LEONARD
05-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Kori...you're a great Spurs fan!!

CosmicCowboy
05-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Kori...you're a great Spurs fan!!

:lol

Actually, I have known Kori for years and she didn't start out as a Spurs fan...just a Duncan fan from his Wake Forest days...hopefully she doesn't get a new favorite player when Tim retires and turn this place into HawksTalk or something even more hideous...:lol

island_dude
05-23-2006, 11:26 AM
:clap :clap :clap :clap
Then take your ass to that whining thread stuck at the top of the forum. This thread is for congratulations.

ShoogarBear
05-23-2006, 11:27 AM

Mark doesn't roll that way. :)

sa_butta
05-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Great Job, I really enjoyed this series. I really wanted to vent but I will do that in another thread.

island_dude
05-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Congrats to the Mavs. :tu

Sounds like some sick fantasy to me.

FromWayDowntown
05-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Congratulations to the Mavericks and to their fans, who've wanted this for some time. In the end, when it mattered, the Mavs made more plays over the course of 7 games than the Spurs did. That's an impressive feat, given what this group of Spurs has accomplished together. The Mavericks showed great heart and poise and earned the right to advance.

wildbill2u
05-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Any team that can come into the opponents home court in the 7th game and shoot over 70% in the first half against one of the best defensive teams in the league deserves congratulations.

We were shooting 53% and down by 20. I don't see how you could beat them last night--but we were only one mistake or missed shot away--so some props to our guys as well. We brought out the best in the Mavs for them to win it.

By the way, the fact that they didn't fold in overtime says a lot as well. I think they can go all the way to the top this year.

SpursWoman
05-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Mark doesn't roll that way. :)

Eh, he can just close his eyes and fantasize. :angel

ColoradoSpursFan
05-23-2006, 11:53 AM
What a great series and game. I really respect Dirk and loathed him when he made so many shots down the stretch.

I want to congratulate the Mavs and good luck with Phoenix. They are gonna be tough.

EVAY
05-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Just Wanted To Add My Congrats To Those Of Many Others. The Mavs Deserve The Win, And The Spurs Have Some Real Searching To Do After The Season. This Would Have Been So Easy To Take Had It Not Been For Cuban. The Next Two Rounds Of The Playoffs Promise To Be Totally Exciting. From Dirk Vs. Finley To Dirk Vs. Nash. And Watching Shaq And Ben Wallace Is Going To Be Outstanding. I'm Predicting The Pistons And Phoenix In The Finals, Though.

MadDog73
05-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Just Wanted To Add My Congrats To Those Of Many Others. The Mavs Deserve The Win, And The Spurs Have Some Real Searching To Do After The Season. This Would Have Been So Easy To Take Had It Not Been For Cuban. The Next Two Rounds Of The Playoffs Promise To Be Totally Exciting. From Dirk Vs. Finley To Dirk Vs. Nash. And Watching Shaq And Ben Wallace Is Going To Be Outstanding. I'm Predicting The Pistons And Phoenix In The Finals, Though.

Any reason you wrote like this ^^^?

Very hard to read.

Rogbok
05-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Congrats to the Mavs team and fans. While I do not feel the Mavs are a better team than the Spurs, I do feel they are pretty close to being equal. When 2 teams are so close, then it comes down to whichever team gets the most breaks (rebound, bounce of a ball, etc.) and the Mavs certainly got that. This was a series that should rank right up there in history as a epic series.

Good luck with the rest of the playoffs and watch out for us next year. I am sure we will be coming back strong.

BgT
05-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Maybe some other threads could also be merged to this one?
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42165
It was created soon after the game and has some sincere congrats posts...

polandprzem
05-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Damn I'm not ready to congratulate Mavs the victory.
And I'm not gonna do it because I suppose to do it.
Not now not today. Some time must pass.

Get a championship maybe then I will do so.

ambchang
05-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Congrats Mavs, you deserved to win the series. The Mavs played harder, executed better, and dictated the flow of the game well throughout the series. The Mavs also got great contribution from the bench and other roles players, and imposed their will on the Spurs. The Spurs, on the other hand, could not handle it, and made multiple mistakes throughout the series.
The Mavs were definitely the better team in the series, and deserved to come out on top.

MadDog73
06-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Bumping this, just to show newbie Mavs fans that most Spurs fans gave the Mavs their props.

Any Mavs bitching about congratulations, can post here first.

samikeyp
06-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah MadDog.....quite a few of them choose to ignore that fact.

picnroll
06-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Congrats to the Mavs minus Cuban.