PDA

View Full Version : Chin Up, Spurs Fans

timvp
05-23-2006, 01:42 AM
Yeah, that was a bad way for the season to end. So close yet so far.

And although the Spurs didn't get it done this year, I'm still proud of this team. It's got damn fun to be a Spurs fan, you have to admit :)

We got three NBA championships. We get to cheer on the best power forward who ever lived. We have an All-Star backcourt comprised of an up-and-coming point guard and a guy who has more heart than anybody I've ever seen. We have one of the best perimeter defenders to ever roam a basketball court. We have a coach with no hidden agenda. This team is all about winning ... and that's I'd ever want in my favorite team.

Losing Game 7 in overtime hurts. I'm not going to lie, this sucks. But you know what, props to the Mavs. Yeah they are easy to hate on but they came to play. With all the talk of poorly ref'd games and the such, the Spurs had Game 7 on their home court. What more could you ask?

Mavs came out and played inspired ball. They did it. Props to them and I'm sure they'll make some noise the rest of the way.

But as I like to say, winning wouldn't be so great if losing didn't feel like this. The way you are feeling right now just makes victory that much sweeter. Remember this feeling, Spurs fans. It'll make the next time that much better.

And there will be a next time. Three NBA championship trophies in the bag and more on the way. The Spurs are still in great shape for the future. Just need some roster tweakage this summer but all in all, I already like this team's chances going into next season.

Thanks for a good season of basketball discussion. It was a fun one. Sorry it didn't turn out like we all wanted.

Be proud, Spurs fans.

Be proud.

Believe.

blaze89
05-23-2006, 01:46 AM
As I stated in another thread, these are great times we are living in for Spurs fans. Good or bad, I'd rather enjoy these times much more than dread over losses like this.

~Sweetmelody~
05-23-2006, 01:50 AM
well I didn't cry after the game, but tim I just might after reading your post.... :(

rayray2k8
05-23-2006, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the wise words LJ.
Alot of spurs fans need to hear this.
I am proud of this team, and im sure they'll remember this and play inspired
ball for the 2006-2007 season.
I like that..
2006-2007... has a nice "ring" to it. ;)

4001 STEREO SPUR
05-23-2006, 01:52 AM
I concur. I don't thing any of us would trade being a SPURS fan.

baseline bum
This one didn't hurt so much. The Spurs showed huge nuts to even be in a game 7, much less be up 3 with 32 seconds left in a game where Dallas' superior talent carried them to a 20-point lead early. If Nazr Mohammed decided to ever show up this season things might have been different, but all in all this is still a playoff I will remember fondly. I'm pretty excited with what Fin has done for us, and hope that Luis Scola can help us match up better with the new-style NBA lineups that teams like Dallas and Phoenix are throwing out.

My 2 main concerns (assuming we can sign Luis) are backup PG and SF. I think this is going to be the year Bruce finally starts showing his age, and we have to find some way to replace him. Someone better and more committed than Devin Brown. Maybe we can find that in trade, in exchange for Mohammed (who is dead to me after his no-show this season). I'd love to have Speedy back too. Watching Van Exel stink up the court this whole season every time Tony needed a blow was disgusting, and forced this team to overplay Tony in stretches in the playoffs.

sghspurs
word

rayray2k8
05-23-2006, 01:53 AM
well I didn't cry after the game, but tim I just might after reading your post.... :(
Its okay to do so, but after the fisher shot, I dont feel so bad.
Not that im saying what im feeling is good but im not planning on jumping in front of traffic anytime soon. :lol

DuncanInYourFace
05-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Yea this was a instant classic series from start to finish, but honestly, we just didn't have the luck this year that the mavs had.

clubalien
05-23-2006, 01:54 AM
I think one of the bad things about losing this was we have no hope in the offseason. We have no cap space so our chances of dramitically improving aren't there. Ian still needs more time. SPurs never pull off blockbuster trades and really who would we give up and recvine if we want to keep our main three guys.

anyways Believe maybe the spurs can be the first team to come back from down 4-3
there could be an investigation into cubans bribes of refs or something

so don't give up pn the season just yet

supaphly119
05-23-2006, 01:56 AM
it was a rough game but at least it we were playing. the ATT was electric and we do have the best fans in basketball. it wasn't in the cards for us this year and thats OK. every year can't be ours because then we'd be like yankees fans and everyone would hope we die. we still have a few good runs left in us and 06-07 is going to be even better than this year.

how about bonzi as a free agent? that sounds like a great idea.

AlamoSpursFan
05-23-2006, 01:58 AM
Bah humbug.

clubalien
05-23-2006, 01:58 AM
spurs showed they could come back to win. almost like we were the lakers when they came back to win games againts us. The spurs just didn't show they could make a lead. we were always down and trying to come back and win the game.

koopa
05-23-2006, 02:05 AM

And although the Spurs didn't get it done this year, I'm still proud of this team. It's got damn fun to be a Spurs fan, you have to admit :)

We got three NBA championships. We get to cheer on the best power forward who ever lived. We have an All-Star backcourt comprised of an up-and-coming point guard and a guy who has more heart than anybody I've ever seen. We have one of the best perimeter defenders to ever roam a basketball court. We have a coach with no hidden agenda. This team is all about winning ... and that's I'd ever want in my favorite team.

Losing Game 7 in overtime hurts. I'm not going to lie, this sucks. But you know what, props to the Mavs. Yeah they are easy to hate on but they came to play. With all the talk of poorly ref'd games and the such, the Spurs had Game 7 on their home court. What more could you ask?

Mavs came out and played inspired ball. They did it. Props to them and I'm sure they'll make some noise the rest of the way.

But as I like to say, winning wouldn't be so great if losing didn't feel like this. The way you are feeling right now just makes victory that much sweeter. Remember this feeling, Spurs fans. It'll make the next time that much better.

And there will be a next time. Three NBA championship trophies in the bag and more on the way. The Spurs are still in great shape for the future. Just need some roster tweakage this summer but all in all, I already like this team's chances going into next season.

Thanks for a good season of basketball discussion. It was a fun one. Sorry it didn't turn out like we all wanted.

Be proud, Spurs fans.

Be proud.

Believe.

great post mayne....i'm dissapointed in that we lost, but feel that the better team advanced so i'm not as dissapointed as i thought i would be. i will always love the spurs win or lose. and it was a good season even though i think it was a failure cause we didn't win it all.

but we'll be back next year. i hate pop but he knows what he's doing and we'll have someone new to stop dirk and we'll be younger and faster. damn i can't wait for next season

GO SPURS GO!!

whottt
05-23-2006, 02:06 AM
Good post TimVP...

I'd just like to add...IMO this team had one true weakness and that was size and athleticism at the SF position...

One of their own coaching the Mavs saw that weakness and exploited it to it's fullest potential. That more than anything is why we lost this series. And it's something we can fix this offseason.

I don't think we would have beaten the Piston this year...I've seen a team on a mission before(the Spurs), and the Pistons are it...I don't think they match up well with the Mavs...but I am almost certain they would have beaten us this year...

So at least we remain tied with the Bulls as the only multiple title teams that are undefeated in the Finals :D. It could have been worse...

And the rivalry with the Mavs is going to put this state at the forefront of the basketball world...where it should have been for the past decade.

So in closing...

The Spurs have been in the NBA only 30 years yet they are one of only 4 teams in the 60 year history of the NBA to have 3 titles.

They've got players with awards named after them.

The third best winning PCT of all time(will move up to second next year)..

And they starting to make their mark on history by playing in some of the greatest series and games ever.

This series was easily one of the top 5 ever played in the NBA.

It's good to be a Spurs fan...and this run aint over yet. We will be back next year...and Manu and Tim and Tony are gonna be on a mission...Heaven help the NBA.

Nikos
05-23-2006, 02:08 AM
I am not sure I see much positive in this loss. Dallas was good, but it is discouraging to see this team lose WITH HOMECOURT advantage against a team whose second/third/fourth best players aren't as good as TP or Manu. Yeah they are athletic, blah blah blah -- but that same athleticism could easily be rendered moot when they face a team like Detroit. Put a guy the same height on Howard and he is basically an average offensive player at best. Terry is basically a weaker version of Billups, does nothing better than him. Dirk has to play out of his mind against a team that has solid defenders to throw at him. All that athleticism will probably mean nothing against a Detroit or Miami.

This regular season pretty much sucked. No inspiring wins, Manu and TD hurt all year. Will Manu even make it half season next year @ 20mpg? Will Parker ever get a jumpshot that he can rely on when defenses simply give him open looks in the playoffs? Will TD and the chereographed 4 down still be used in tight games -- where it really doesn't seem to work. Will Bowen even matter against Dallas if they meet again?

To me it looks as though the Spurs are on the decline unless they got some ridiculous off season acquisitions to fill gaps. Even then a healthy Amare and Phoenix will be nasty next year. Dallas will be solid. Houston if healthy will be good. Detroit will still probably be the toughest matchup for the Spurs. Miami with a semi-healthy Shaq poses problems.

Can the Spurs rely on luck in the playoffs? I am still wondering how they could lose at home and almost be destroyed twice at home (G2 and G7)?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-23-2006, 02:10 AM
:tu TimVP, Great Post...

Though this loss is gonna be hard to recover from until more Playoff games are being played. I miss the Manu,Tim,Tony show....

I can't believe some fans are already Doubting the Spurs in 07'...When we haven't even Freaking STARTED!! Wait til we make the offseason trades at least.

MannyIsGod
05-23-2006, 02:10 AM
This thread made me feel better. :)

angel_luv
05-23-2006, 02:12 AM
As for the way the season ended, I am full of compassion for the guys. They worked so hard all year. I hate that they are disappointed.

But If we had to go out, I am proud that we went fighting the whole way.

It is great to be a Spurs fan when you have this Spurs to BELIEVE FOR and this board to commiserate on.
Good times always. :D

Melmart1
05-23-2006, 02:13 AM
I been saying it for ages- It's a great time to be a Spurs fan! This loss hurts but it only motivates them more. Watching Tim Duncan in his prime is an honor and I will always be able to say he played for my team. I am enjoying every minute, cus it won't last forever. But it will last for several more years and I intend to soak it all up.

MannyIsGod
05-23-2006, 02:13 AM
I am not sure I see much positive in this loss. Dallas was good, but it is discouraging to see this team lose WITH HOMECOURT advantage against a team whose second/third/fourth best players aren't as good as TP or Manu. Yeah they are athletic, blah blah blah -- but that same athleticism could easily be rendered moot when they face a team like Detroit. Put a guy the same height on Howard and he is basically an average offensive player at best. Terry is basically a weaker version of Billups, does nothing better than him. Dirk has to play out of his mind against a team that has solid defenders to throw at him. All that athleticism will probably mean nothing against a Detroit or Miami.

This regular season pretty much sucked. No inspiring wins, Manu and TD hurt all year. Will Manu even make it half season next year @ 20mpg? Will Parker ever get a jumpshot that he can rely on when defenses simply give him open looks in the playoffs? Will TD and the chereographed 4 down still be used in tight games -- where it really doesn't seem to work. Will Bowen even matter against Dallas if they meet again?

To me it looks as though the Spurs are on the decline unless they got some ridiculous off season acquisitions to fill gaps. Even then a healthy Amare and Phoenix will be nasty next year. Dallas will be solid. Houston if healthy will be good. Detroit will still probably be the toughest matchup for the Spurs. Miami with a semi-healthy Shaq poses problems.

Can the Spurs rely on luck in the playoffs? I am still wondering how they could lose at home and almost be destroyed twice at home (G2 and G7)?Half full or Half Empty?

How about a year of a healthy Tim Duncan? How about a Tony Parker with another year under his belt? How about a Finley who plays the entire year the way he played the 2nd half?

Man, the Spurs have some prospects and they have a front office that always makes moves. When have they ever given you reason to doubt them?

This team is a force. They will be a force for many years to come. There are tough teams in the leauge, but thats the way the leauge is. It isn't easy to win a title but if you're team is a true contendor in that race, what more can you ask for?

baseline bum
05-23-2006, 02:15 AM
how about bonzi as a free agent? that sounds like a great idea.

There is nothing that could make me want Bonzi Wells in the silver and black. Having another post player would clog the lane so much for Duncan. I don't know Scola's game well, but hopefully he can be a high post presence to complement Tim in a way only David ever has.

jamezyjamez
05-23-2006, 02:15 AM

Don't feel too bad. Your argument is flawed so I wouldn't worry. Terry and Howard are easily as good as TP and Manu. Keep going down the list and it gets uglier for the Spurs.

Face it, Mavs were better and deeper this year. Beef up that bench and it will be Spurs, Mavs, and Suns fighting for the West for the forseeable future.

Please do it! We have to carry the NBA before the East puts everyone to sleep.

gtownspur
05-23-2006, 02:16 AM
this thread is full of shit.

I mean, i thought that defense wins championships. And that halfcourt teams win becuase the playoffs are about grinding it out. FUck this, why do we have to change our way of playing? Am i wrong? Why the fuck do we have to win a championship every other year only to have the league rules change so that we can't play what got us. Did these league rule changes ever happen to the Jordan Bull's? Fuck no!

All you people telling us to wait and believe need to get your head examined. We win next year, lo and behold we will be handicapped the next year with a new rule change by the begining of the playoffs. Fuck this and any false hope of a two peat dynasty.

Nikos
05-23-2006, 02:20 AM
What's discouraging is the Spurs Big Three were solid offensively, and they still lost. At HOME. What's discouraging is that one impossible Dirk matchup caused the Spurs to play small ball, which meant shitty defense, no rebounding and playing 3 on 5 offense every game. Is this what the Spurs have to look forward to next playoffs? I mean the team won 63 games INJURED and still couldn't win in the playoffs with HOMECOURT!

And what will happen to Manu? Every week we would hear from the reports and timvp and kori that Manu cannot survive more than 30mpg. We have a new season with Manu a whole year older to look forward to hearing how he can't play 25mpg this season. Well 'save' him for the playoffs.......

Tony Parker as far as I am concerned has hit his ceiling. Unless his jumper changes drastically he isn't going to improve. He still can't be trusted to hit the jumper consistently in the big games. Sure he will pepper in a 2 off the dribble or from a pass from time to time -- but will he be able to dominate and play like Manu did in 2005 if Manu declines from now on?

Melmart1
05-23-2006, 02:20 AM
How did this thread go from cheering Spurs fans up to the piss and moan thread? Way to hijack!

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 02:25 AM
What's discouraging is the Spurs Big Three were solid offensively, and they still lost. At HOME. What's discouraging is that one impossible Dirk matchup caused the Spurs to play small ball, which meant shitty defense, no rebounding and playing 3 on 5 offense every game. Is this what the Spurs have to look forward to next playoffs? I mean the team won 63 games INJURED and still couldn't win in the playoffs with HOMECOURT!

And what will happen to Manu? Every week we would hear from the reports and timvp and kori that Manu cannot survive more than 30mpg. We have a new season with Manu a whole year older to look forward to hearing how he can't play 25mpg this season. Well 'save' him for the playoffs.......

Tony Parker as far as I am concerned has hit his ceiling. Unless his jumper changes drastically he isn't going to improve. He still can't be trusted to hit the jumper consistently in the big games. Sure he will pepper in a 2 off the dribble or from a pass from time to time -- but will he be able to dominate and play like Manu did in 2005 if Manu declines from now on?

Nikos, you can never see the positive side of anything. That's just you.

The Spurs aren't going to play small ball forever. If they had a good athletic big man to play next to Duncan, they wouldn't have had to play small ball. Nazr/Rasho sucked; they had no choice. They'll add Scola or Javtokas or maybe someone else this offseason.

Anyway, Manu should be able to play 25-30mpg next season again .. just like this season. He'll have to change his game a little so he doesn't get so banged up .. that's what happens as players age. But he'll still be as competitive as ever.

To say Tony has hit his ceiling is beyond stupid. Tony is 24 and just getting started. They said it would take a year before we'd start seeing results in Tony's jumper and from midseason on, he hit 45% of his jumpers outside 16 feet. He was banged up a lot in this series and still managed over 20ppg. He has a very bright future ahead of him.

Spurs will add an athletic big, a backup point, a long 3, then get rid of some people and make another run for the title.

Open your eyes.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-23-2006, 02:26 AM
Spurs are good at exactly two things: Winning championships and losing in the most gut-wrenching, brutal ways possible. Hopefully next year we get a championship. :(

gtownspur
05-23-2006, 02:28 AM
Nikos, you can never see the positive side of anything. That's just you.

The Spurs aren't going to play small ball forever. If they had a good athletic big man to play next to Duncan, they wouldn't have had to play small ball. Nazr/Rasho sucked; they had no choice. They'll add Scola or Javtokas or maybe someone else this offseason.

Anyway, Manu should be able to play 25-30mpg next season again .. just like this season. He'll have to change his game a little so he doesn't get so banged up .. that's what happens as players age. But he'll still be as competitive as ever.

To say Tony has hit his ceiling is beyond stupid. Tony is 24 and just getting started. They said it would take a year before we'd start seeing results in Tony's jumper and from midseason on, he hit 45% of his jumpers outside 16 feet. He was banged up a lot in this series and still managed over 20ppg. He has a very bright future ahead of him.

Spurs will add an athletic big, a backup point, a long 3, then get rid of some people and make another run for the title.

Open your eyes.

Then there will be rule changes right before the playoffs, and we will be back in two years with this same assinine post.

whottt
Why is everyone acting like Parker sucked tonight anyway?

It was game 7 of the WCSF...

He hit for 24 points on 50% shooting, was a perfect 6-6 from the FT line, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, a steal, a block, and 1 TO...

Exactly how did that suck? And what more would you have liked him to do? We scored 110 points....and his jumper was true in that OT period.

You want Magic or John Stockton...

baseline bum
Jessica Alba to Nikos: Would you like to come in for coffee?
Nikos: Nah bitch, that shit ain't shaved!

whottt
05-23-2006, 02:29 AM
Jessica Alba to Nikos: Would you like to come in for coffee?
Nikos: Nah bitch, that shit ain't shaved!

:lmao

austinfan
05-23-2006, 02:33 AM
Hey, what can you do about it? We're a team that likes to win championships in odd-numbered years. :)

timvp
05-23-2006, 02:34 AM
Nikos, to beat the Mavs all the Spurs needed was a mobile power forward who could rebound and guard Dirk. If the Spurs have that, this series is probably over in 5.

timvp
05-23-2006, 02:35 AM
Nikos, to beat the Mavs all the Spurs needed was a mobile power forward who could rebound and guard Dirk. If the Spurs have that, this series is probably over in 5.

If Kurt Thomas had stayed healthy and the Spurs landed Tim Thomas, we'd be playing the Clippers right now.

whottt
05-23-2006, 02:37 AM
Every year you have to adjust...your top rivals are going to be looking at your weaknesses to find away to beat you...find new ways to attack. The champ has to stay ahead of the game...Spurs new what the weakness was. They are about the only team in the NBA that has this particular weakeness...they tried to fix it in the offseason but just couldn't find the final piece.

It'll be fixed this offseason....and then some.

whottt
05-23-2006, 02:39 AM

I call that a long SF, Shawn Marion...in todays NBA we are starting to call it a PF, but it is a long SF. That's the type of player that has to guard Dirk..there's not a post player this side of David Robinson that can guard Dirk.

Spurzilla
05-23-2006, 02:40 AM
Definitely a disappointing loss. We had a chance to win but it just didn't go our way this time. We already have a great team and it is going to get even better.

I'm looking forward to another championship run in 2007.... and another chance to repeat in 2008!

Nikos
05-23-2006, 02:41 AM
[QUOTE=Kori Ellis]Nikos, you can never see the positive side of anything. That's just you.

Your right, I am negative. But it's one thing to lose to Detroit without homecourt, but to lose WITH homecourt to Dallas, a team that I felt was inferior, is tough.

Athletic big man? To guard Dirk?

Judging by timvp and your comments in the regular season -- Manu's chances of being banged up are even higher next season. Not something I am looking forward to.

Stupid? Tony has played in the league SIX YEARS. Just because his numerical age is 24 doesn't mean he will improve like the average 24 year old NBA talent. Most young guys improve because they don't get playing time, don't have a lot of experience in the league -- they don't improve by leaps and bounds after 6 years in the league. Tony got playing time from the moment he stepped in the league. He has an extreme an amount of experience, and has had Tim Duncan as a leader to speed up his growth process. The guy isn't going to get that much better if at all. What I hope for is that he explodes in the playoffs and exceeds his regular season outputs efficiency and productive wise. But he hasn't really done that yet. He hasn't played exceedingly well in the playoffs yet. He has shown flashes, but he never had a consistent,dominant playoffs yet. He has been extremely erratic. Yeah his numbers were solid this playoffs, but he still couldn't hit any three's, still never got to the line, and wasn't nearly as good as he was in the regular season + what he is capable of. Maybe that was the injury? I don't know. But I still don't see him improving greatly. Perhaps he could shine in next years playoffs? I am not convinced yet. He certainly has the talent to be better than he is.

Bowen will still play 35mpg+. He still will be useless against the Mavericks if they don't get a Dirk Stopper. He still isn't going to be useful on offense unless the Big Three create shots for him.

Open your eyes.

Sure the Spurs will always have a chance. But they still haven't been as good as they are capable on offense. There is no reason they should be one of the best regular season defensive teams of all time, and then to have that squashed just because of Dirk. They need to improve their offense somehow, and I just don't know if it is possible with Bowen playing 32mpg+.

timvp
05-23-2006, 02:46 AM
Another good offseason addition will be the Tony Parker three-point shot.

Can't wait.

:smokin

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 02:48 AM
Stupid? Tony has played in the league SIX YEARS. Just because his numerical age is 24 doesn't mean he will improve like the average 24 year old NBA talent. Most young guys improve because they don't get playing time, don't have a lot of experience in the league -- they don't improve by leaps and bounds after 6 years in the league. Tony got playing time from the moment he stepped in the league. He has an extreme an amount of experience, and has had Tim Duncan as a leader to speed up his growth process. The guy isn't going to get that much better if at all. What I hope for is that he explodes in the playoffs and exceeds his regular season outputs efficiency and productive wise. But he hasn't really done that yet. He hasn't played exceedingly well in the playoffs yet. He has shown flashes, but he never had a consistent,dominant playoffs yet. He has been extremely erratic. Yeah his numbers were solid this playoffs, but he still couldn't hit any three's, still never got to the line, and wasn't nearly as good as he was in the regular season + what he is capable of. Maybe that was the injury? I don't know. But I still don't see him improving greatly. Perhaps he could shine in next years playoffs? I am not convinced yet. He certainly has the talent to be better than he is.

Like I said, when Chip arrived they said it would be a year before we saw any improvement on his shot. And we already saw a lot of improvement already. If you don't see that improvement, then I don't know.

I am not saying Tony had a great series against the Mavs .. he didn't. But he managed to average 20ppg when he could barely walk for four of the games.

I'll take it and wait to see what happens next.

Shawn Carter
05-23-2006, 03:00 AM
yeah, chin up. At least your team didnt fall to the mavs 4-1. But I got love for the Spurs. I watched the game and i wanted the spurs to win, i fucking hate the mavericks. Its all good, maybe next year.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-23-2006, 03:01 AM
Tony will come around and learn...A lot has to do with experience and knowing when to hold back and when to go for it.

I'm still confident that one good move, or two will put the Spurs back into a FORCE to be reckoned with...Nazr and Rasho were our weak link...I don't think the "AGE" factor necessarily counted towards our demise THIS year for '06, it would have next year, but we were good enough to beat the mavs with the veterans. We just need a great defending BIG and longer men for the 3,4,5 spots to help out Timmy....

Mavs Org. did a good move at having Diop come in to help Dampier, Van Horn....and forced us to adjust with their depth of quick guards.

charmie21
05-23-2006, 03:06 AM
experiencing this made my love for the spurs even stronger. i wouldn't have it any other way (except for the win) but still, for the first time, i learned how to accept that things will not always go the way we want them.. not everything is meant for us.. i'll still support this ball club.. all the way..

can i wait for 6 months? as long as it's for timmy and the spurs, i'll endure every minute of it..

austinfan
05-23-2006, 03:09 AM
I like the fact that we'll be somewhat of an underdog next year, and won't have the Championship target painted squarely on our backs. I trust Pop, RC and Presti to make the right adjustments to personnel. It's a good time to be a Spurs fan.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-23-2006, 03:21 AM
experiencing this made my love for the spurs even stronger. i wouldn't have it any other way (except for the win) but still, for the first time, i learned how to accept that things will not always go the way we want them.. not everything is meant for us.. i'll still support this ball club.. all the way..

can i wait for 6 months? as long as it's for timmy and the spurs, i'll endure every minute of it..
Every year I've appreciated the Spurs more ever since Timmy inherited the team..Even when they didn't win til '03 I've always stuck with them to try and get that 2nd one. In 05' that was when I realized that the Spurs were on another level than just a mere contender with likeable players.

I'm a fan of basketball but Spurs have already accomplished something more than just championships as a team, which is why I'll always be a fan.

I've always admired their humility, consistent classiness, just like someone described that Bear Hug that Duncan gave Dirk and their utter respect surfaced with no bitterness or animosity. It's spreading the league by their example. I hope to see Timmy bring more championships with his teammates by this decade's end. But I guess 06' is just someone else's time to prove themselves...and use them lucky bounces that go their way.

aaronstampler
05-23-2006, 03:36 AM
This is my first post since the game ended, and I've gotten a chance to calm down a little.

I've said all year that it won't bother me if we don't win because I'm not like one of those Yankees fans that feels like they have to win every year like it's their birthright or something. And I thought I meant it. But truly, I thought that if we lost it'd be to Detroit. I just never really imagined we'd lose to Dallas. It just didn't feel right, karmically, after all the shit Cuban did, and the bad calls in Games 3 and 4, and the Jason Terry thing.

But you know what? Screw it. No matter what, losing in the Finals would have REALLY hurt. To be so close and fall short at the end is the ultimate heartbreak. So better the second round against the Mavs than the Finals against the Pistons, I suppose.

Our guys battled their hearts out - I feel so bad for Fin - but it just wasn't meant to be. Our big three were pretty beat up this year. Winning it all is never easy, and seasons like these have their silver linings. At least our fans won't be spoiled brats next year. Last year we got a few lucky bounces and this year we didn't, simple as that.

Hopefully we'll get some big men who can play, re-sign Fin, and our big three can have Pistons-like health next year. I enjoyed the ride.

As always, what makes me the most proud as a Spurs fan is the classiness of our players and coaches, in victory and defeat. At least in that area, the Mavs have a way to go to catch us yet.

rasho8
05-23-2006, 03:44 AM
I think we did great this year, and if we hadnt had this fluked system, this would be the fWCF.
But the Mavs did very good.. hell they did great.
I wish we still had Barbosa and handt traded his rights away, he is doig great.
I think I see now that, as much as having all kinds of experience helps, youth and speed and stamina are very important.
I think, if we let all the agents go, (Nazr, Finley and NVE) or maybe keep Fin and let the rest go, and work on either getting a good backup PG and SG, or even (and I know youre going to kill me Manny) work Beno into the ground and force his ass to be better and stop being a whiny little PG who always claims to be hurt... (sorry B Im feeling kind bitter) with a better, younger bench we could force people to play our ball, and not be forced to play their bal.

We won 63 games with lockdown D.. not running and gunning Small Ball. and though we got close, the Mavs showed that SB isnt our game.
We need to be powerful enough again to froce them to change to match us... not the other way around.

Horry For 3!
05-23-2006, 03:53 AM
Another good offseason addition will be the Tony Parker three-point shot.

Can't wait.

He started to make them somewhat this year. I remember one game he hit like 3 or 4

Horry For 3!
05-23-2006, 03:56 AM
He started to make them somewhat this year. I remember one game he hit like 3 or 4
I just checked his stats, he was 2-2 from 3 pt range against the Heat Jan 20. Then against the Jazz on April 4th, he was 3-4 from 3 pt range.

CTW_Cowboy
05-23-2006, 03:58 AM
you guys needed Ben Wallace this year.

alamo50
05-23-2006, 08:00 AM
The day after I am kinda OK.

This was the best series ever and Duncan showed he's the biggest warrior in professional sports.

We got a great core here with TMT.
We didn't use Nazr and the Rash so I want them gone during the summer.
Like I said every season since The Admiral retired, we need to get Theo Ratliff in here.

We may never adjust to any opponent.
We ARE the mighty Spurs.
We ARE the best.

Oh yeah, a type of player like Mario Elie/Kevin Willis would have come in handy too....but for some reason we got Nick for that........................

Well Spurs fans it was a great season to be here with y'all in the ever growing best sports forum on the net.

Hat of too Kori and LJ and all of y'all up in here.

See you Spurs in Paris!!!

:clap

SequSpur
05-23-2006, 08:02 AM
Pop should be fired immediately. He took the basketball out of playoff basketball.

HULKAROCK
05-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Good-Bye, farewell...
The sad thing is everyone in Detroit wanted the Spurs to win last night so that WE could be the ones to send them fishing. Oh well. We'll have to settle for Mark Cuban. Maybe next year we'll get the rematch. But, I have to say I see the era of the Spurs diminishing. On top of that, I hear the trade rumors around the league are that Labron will not get enough money in Cleveland and his options are open to the Pistons.. Look out.. Bad news for everybody.
Well, at this point, I can direct you to the ECF. Watch our Pistons roll the Heat at the Palace tonight. DETROIT ROCK CITY!!!

themvp
05-23-2006, 08:12 AM
I just wanna say I am proud like many of you to be a Spurs fan.

Bring on the 2006/2007 season.

picnroll
05-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Time to tank and get Greg Oden

j/k

Spurs need to lose a couple of pieces and find a couple of pieces but they still have a good core. Now e'll find out what Pop, RC and Preti are mad of. I think Pop may have to rthink his approach to the game. Not sure, with the changes to the way you are allowed to play D, that preventing middle penetration and channeling baseline is going to work that well.

spurster
05-23-2006, 08:27 AM
The Spurs gave us a great season with many more to come and a title or two more along the way.

It's a great time to be a Spurs fan.

genghisrex
05-23-2006, 08:43 AM
This one didn't hurt so much. The Spurs showed huge nuts to even be in a game 7, much less be up 3 with 32 seconds left in a game where Dallas' superior talent carried them to a 20-point lead early. If Nazr Mohammed decided to ever show up this season things might have been different, but all in all this is still a playoff I will remember fondly. I'm pretty excited with what Fin has done for us, and hope that Luis Scola can help us match up better with the new-style NBA lineups that teams like Dallas and Phoenix are throwing out.
I agree. Losing always sucks, period, but this team left everything out on the floor and just came up a little bit short this time. This was nothing like watching the team roll over and die against the Lakers. I've never seen a more resilient Spurs team and I like our chances next season with a little better luck in the health department and some new roleplayers to shore up our weaknesses.

T Park
05-23-2006, 08:55 AM
What gets me through the day?

The spurs can improve, the Mavericks MAY improve, but don't know who they would get.

The PIstons are due for a down year. The Heat will really stink next year thanks to Sahq being just about finished.

The Nets are nothing

The only team that is a slight threat next year is Phoenix.

Thats it, thats all.

janaey07
05-23-2006, 08:56 AM
To my Spurs Family....I am from Thailand, live in Michigan and have been a Spurs fan since 1999. Tim Duncan is a reason why I love this team.

I found this website approx 10 months ago and am so glad to be able to read all the posts. Even though I don't know any of you, but I feel like knowing you for a long time.....Spur bond (I guess). I also feel like you guys are my Spurs family, rooting for the same team, etc. (It is pretty hard being a Spur fan in Detroit...haha).

I have been a reader, never posted because there is always someone out there that shares my opinion. But today, after our team lost last night and read this thread by timvp. I feel like I need a closure for the season to be able to move on to the next bright seasons to come for the Spurs. BTW, timvp, I always like reading your posts.

The Mavs played really good last night, give them credit. But at the same time, consider all adversity the Spurs had to go thru all season (see below), I couldn't be more proud of them.

1. The season long of nagging injury (TD, and Manu) - TD is the man, he delivered big in the playoff, but I think that the injury had a big impact on Manu's consistency.
2. The tough series with the Kings - I don't know how the Mavs would have reacted to the Kings if they ended up with #1 seed.
3. 36-hour between game #6 with the Kings and game #1 with the Mavs - I know that we won game #1, but it caught up to us in game #2 (Pop and Magic even said that after game #2 loss)
4. The questioning ref calls in game #3 and #4 that impacted the game results – the Spurs could have won at least one of those games and we wouldn't even need game #7
5. Half a bench against a full bench - half a bench due to the small line up because the Spurs weren't built that way comparing to the Mavs team that always play small.
6. Older supporting casts - admit it a 30+ year old can't run with a 20+ year old night in and night out.

After all these adversity - the Spurs had a franchise record of 63-19, won a tough series with the Kings, and fought back from 3-1 down to force game 7, and fought hard to get back to the game after 20 deficit.

We couldn't be more proud of our Spurs

We just need a few adjustments to be ready for next year.

1. Get Tim and Manu healthy during summer
2. Tony will step up and be more consistent and dominate in the playoff like he did during the regular season
3. Sign up younger and athletics players.

Believe.

Nikos
05-23-2006, 09:29 AM

Kind of pathetic if you ask me. Mavs make one adjustment and they beat the Spurs on their homecourt twice. Why can't the Spurs PLAYERS make the Mavs adjust? Either it's poor logic or poor coaching.

Sportcamper
05-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Heck of a game...Ginobili & Duncan played their butts off...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-23-2006, 09:44 AM
LJ, great post as always, you are pure class. And Kori, of course - thanks to both of you for building this wonderful community in 3 short years. :D

To the Spurs - it was a tough, at times rewarding, at times frustrating season that never really felt like a run to the championship to me, despite the 63 wins. This team never quite gelled like the 03 or 05 Spurs... but I'm still proud of their grit. Tim is the truest of champions, and there's more brilliance to come from Tony and Manu (I can't believe that some people are counting them out! They are in the prime of their careers! :lol ).

Anyway, I have to say that the Mavs beat us fair and square, but I still have no idea why we played them at THEIR GAME!? Even if you don't trust Nazr, Rasho plays bloody good Spur's zone D, and I can't see why we didn't play that against the Mavs. Hell, give Dirk 40 a night but stop the layups and make them shoot. Yes, I know they can shoot, but I still reckon we could have won 4/7 playing our D and not giving up the layups and boards that we did, even though they would have made more 3s. It's a moot point now. We WILL BE BACK.

Peace Love Unity Respect.

Ruffy

PS Thought these two posts absolutely spoke the truth:

Spurs are good at exactly two things: Winning championships and losing in the most gut-wrenching, brutal ways possible. Hopefully next year we get a championship. :oops - Winnipeg Spur

I'm a fan of basketball but Spurs have already accomplished something more than just championships as a team, which is why I'll always be a fan. I've always admired their humility, consistent classiness, just like someone described that Bear Hug that Duncan gave Dirk and their utter respect surfaced with no bitterness or animosity. It's spreading the league by their example. I hope to see Timmy bring more championships with his teammates by this decade's end. But I guess 06' is just someone else's time to prove themselves...and use them lucky bounces that go their way. - Fweindz

carina_gino20
05-23-2006, 10:00 AM
I wish I could take the coward's way out and bitch about the officiating but I can't. Games 3 and 4 are done and we had a great chance to win the series. We didn't.

It still hurts right now, probably because it had already sunk in. when the game was over, i was in disbelief and couldn't feel anything.

but i can honestly say that i am very proud of my Spurs. They did a great job tying the series and had a lot of heart to claw their way out of that 20-pt Mavs lead. I guess it just wasn't for us. Now, the sooner I accept that, the sooner I can move on.

I love the San Antonio Spurs.

T Park
05-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Kind of pathetic if you ask me. Mavs make one adjustment and they beat the Spurs on their homecourt twice. Why can't the Spurs PLAYERS make the Mavs adjust? Either it's poor logic or poor coaching

You really have zero concept of basketball don't you.

Go ahead and go swing from the shower curtain no one will miss you.

FromWayDowntown
05-23-2006, 10:54 AM
First of all, I think anyone who doesn't respect the effort the Spurs gave in this series and in Game 7 is out of touch with reality. Many teams -- most teams -- would have rolled over and died down 1-3 after those 2 losses in Dallas. Whatever else is true of the Spurs, they died this season the best way a champion can; they fought to the bitter, bitter end and went down swinging.

I'm with the group that thinks this gang is a couple of tweaks away from salting that series early. I respect and appreciate Nick Van Exel for all that he has done and accomplished as an NBA player, but I can't help but think that if the Spurs had gotten even a net zero from their backup point in this series, they likely win it.

Get another athletic wing. Get a big who is willing to mix it up and athletic enough to stay on the floor against smaller, more athletic teams. I realize those guys don't grow on trees, but they're out there and some creative use of resources can fill those needs.

In the meantime, I'll respect the effort this team gave, even if I'm disappointed in the final result. It was a heck of a ride.

strangeweather
05-23-2006, 11:02 AM
The Spurs played their hearts out, and they came within a play or two of beating a team that they had some bad matchups with. They deserve a ton of respect for the fight they put on.

They have a terrific core of players that are still in their prime, and it's a lot easier to take a good core and improve the supporting pieces than it is to take a good supporting cast and find an all star to lead them.

They got 2 bench points in Game 7. One more solid bench player at any position, and we're breaking down the matchups against Phoenix today. I trust in Pop and RC to go out and find some guys who can help us next year.

beirmeistr
05-23-2006, 11:25 AM
It is a great time to be a Spurs fan. We still have the big three under contract. Even though they didn't make it to the finals this time, there is no shame in losing to a Mavericks team that might win the championship this year. All it takes for the Spurs to remain competitive in the playoffs next season will be to get rid of the slopokes and bring in several younger, long, athletic players to keep up with the Mavs, the Suns, the Nuggets, and the other running teams. But I certainly hope that the Spurs return to the principle that has been successful in the past----DEFENSE.

tlongII
05-23-2006, 11:29 AM
...after all, you could be a Blazer fan.

:bang

Sasha
05-23-2006, 11:42 AM

Be proud, Spurs fans.

Be proud.

Believe.

Well, I was fine 'til I read this - bring on the Kleenex! :depressed

Seriously, great post. I'm gonna save it. Thanks.

clubalien
05-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Spurs are good at exactly two things: Winning championships and losing in the most gut-wrenching, brutal ways possible. Hopefully next year we get a championship. :(
someone on the woai radio sad last night that the spurs or unable to win in even years. If that is true I don't see how the spurs will ever be able to repeat.

RashoFan
05-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Very well said LJ! Next year will be an awesome ride, better than this year's ride was....Believe It!

leemajors
05-23-2006, 12:03 PM
i don't mind tony looking for his own shot, i just don't like it when he dribbles down the court and settles for an outside jumper when we can work for something better. maybe that was van exel rubbing off on him, but it's not something he can't work past. tony's ceiling is practically unlimited. hopefully javtokas can come in and mix it up immediately without getting in too much foul trouble, and viktor can make a contribution. backup pg is definitely a need that needs to be addressed, we lost so much momentum whenever tony left the floor the whole playoffs.

1Parker1
05-23-2006, 12:44 PM
I think what madden's people more (well, at least me), is that the loss was against Dallas...a team which as the series went on, I lost a lot of respect for. Losing to the Clips, Pistons, even Suns would have been oK. Mark Cuban...and especially AJ really pissed me off this series. How the hell does AJ get away with jumping up and down 5 feet into the court?! :wtf

Anyways, it was a really good season and an amazing near-comeback from down 3-1. I'm confident the Spurs realized what their weaknesses were after this series, just like fans did, and spend the offseason trying to address it. I myself plan on re-watching the 2005 Championship DVD, especially the 4th quarter to get over this horrible loss :smokin

1Parker1
05-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Oh, and for any fan who blames this loss on either Tim, Manu, Parker, Finley, or Bowen is crazy. They were the lone bright spots of this crazy 7 game series.

Nikos
05-23-2006, 01:23 PM
You really have zero concept of basketball don't you.

Go ahead and go swing from the shower curtain no one will miss you.

Zero concept of Basketball? You really think so?

90% of your posts are pure lashing out at people. I may be extremely negative, but at least I give detailed reasons why. At least I discuss the topic. Your one sentence lashes have no substance whatsoever.

timvp
05-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Kind of pathetic if you ask me. Mavs make one adjustment and they beat the Spurs on their homecourt twice. Why can't the Spurs PLAYERS make the Mavs adjust? Either it's poor logic or poor coaching.

Spurs didn't have the personnel. Plain and simple.

This is the new NBA where you need four good perimeter defenders on the court. With the new rules where you can drive to the basket without any contact along the way, that changes everything. Just look at the WCF. You have Phoenix and Dallas, two teams with athletes at all positions.

Pop's only chance to evolve was to go small ... but the Spurs just didn't have the necessary player. They needed a long three type who could play power forward, grab rebounds and defend. If the Spurs rebound better in Game 3 and 4, this series was over in five.

It's not about the players adjusting. They did all they could. Manu was grabbing tough rebounds. Tony was doing all he could to guard Dirk and others off of switches. Bowen and Finley fought defensively. Duncan played the series of his life.

It came down to the game evolving and the Spurs not having the type of players they needed. Instead of the agile power forwards they needed, they stocked up on centers who were useless. Nazr, Rasho, Oberto and Marks had no place in this new style of basketball.

We all knew that the Spurs' main roster flaw coming into the season was not having a long three. That came back to kill them.

All in all, however, this Spurs team fought and left it all out on the court.

What more could you ask?

Boulevard1
05-23-2006, 01:39 PM
This loss sucked ass.

Fighting back from down 1-3 to force a game 7. Fighting back from down 20 to take a three point lead with 30 seconds left. Just to lose? Watching Cuban celebrating on the Spurs court, Dirk acting like they won the championship after every shot, AJ bitching about the refs..../rant

Spurs showed alot of heart. It was a fun season despite the injuries and damn they fought really hard in this series. Props to Dallas for showing alot of composure. Dirk was awesome keeping them in it in the fourth. Even Terry, unfortunately, played great. Lots of heart from our boys in defeat, we'll be back.

Get refuel.

Nikos
05-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Spurs didn't have the personnel. Plain and simple.

This is the new NBA where you need four good perimeter defenders on the court. With the new rules where you can drive to the basket without any contact along the way, that changes everything. Just look at the WCF. You have Phoenix and Dallas, two teams with athletes at all positions.

Pop's only chance to evolve was to go small ... but the Spurs just didn't have the necessary player. They needed a long three type who could play power forward, grab rebounds and defend. If the Spurs rebound better in Game 3 and 4, this series was over in five.

It's not about the players adjusting. They did all they could. Manu was grabbing tough rebounds. Tony was doing all he could to guard Dirk and others off of switches. Bowen and Finley fought defensively. Duncan played the series of his life.

It came down to the game evolving and the Spurs not having the type of players they needed. Instead of the agile power forwards they needed, they stocked up on centers who were useless. Nazr, Rasho, Oberto and Marks had no place in this new style of basketball.

We all knew that the Spurs' main roster flaw coming into the season was not having a long three. That came back to kill them.

All in all, however, this Spurs team fought and left it all out on the court.

What more could you ask?

I expected they would be able to win this series with homecourt. I didn't think they could beat Detroit if they met them in the finals. But deep in my heart I feel they are better than the Mavs. I just don't think Dallas is really a better team at least not be a noticable margin. As you mentioned Terry and Howard are solid but still not as good as Tony or Manu.

I am upset the role players except for Finley couldn't get involved in the series, yet every Maverick role player seemed to have played solid one game or more. Basically I don't feel that Dallas athleticism advantage should have got them a win. The Spurs should have found a way to win that Game 7 at home.

I guess if these teams meet again it will probably come down to some luck and a few plays here and there. My beef is that the Spurs couldn't overcome the gimmicks and lack of athletism. Great teams find ways to win. I guess I am upset the Spurs aren't as good as I thought. I figured 63 wins with legit injuries to key players showed they were an extremely elite team. And that maybe they might not win cause Detroit had the homecourt. In the end the Spurs just proved they had too many weaknesses, and I don't know if I can be confident in this team to be a clear cut elite. I guess it hurts knowing they are just another team amongst 3-4 that could win a title....

MadDog73
05-23-2006, 01:51 PM
I guess it hurts knowing they are just another team amongst 3-4 that could win a title....

That's not a bad thing. In other words, it could be worse...

I'm just glad the Spurs make the playoffs every year and there's always a chance. I'll be very sad the first year we don't make the playoffs.

timvp
06-15-2007, 01:14 AM
REDEMPTION.

BeerIsGood!
06-15-2007, 01:19 AM
A bad Manu foul in the closing seconds of the 4th quarter of a close out game once again....

but this time the team still pulls it out. Redemption indeed. :smokin

dknights411
06-15-2007, 01:21 AM
What a difference a year makes.

CHAMPS BABY!!!

baseline bum
06-15-2007, 01:21 AM

My 2 main concerns (assuming we can sign Luis) are backup PG and SF. I think this is going to be the year Bruce finally starts showing his age, and we have to find some way to replace him. Someone better and more committed than Devin Brown. Maybe we can find that in trade, in exchange for Mohammed (who is dead to me after his no-show this season). I'd love to have Speedy back too. Watching Van Exel stink up the court this whole season every time Tony needed a blow was disgusting, and forced this team to overplay Tony in stretches in the playoffs.

So much for that idea :drunk

makedamnsure
06-15-2007, 01:22 AM
I bawled and tore my jersey off last year in front of a bunch of Mavs fans.

But this, this feels incredible. Every tear last season was worth it to feel like this right now.

SequSpur
06-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Man... this year was interesting... I bitched about Bonner, Beno, Elson, and Bowen...

Fricking Bonner and Beno didn't play at all in the playoffs.... I kind've figured that but hell, I was in the moment.. Elson wasn't great but he participated and hell.. he threw one down a few games ago.... and Bowen???? Dude came through and I'm glad he is a Spur.

Yes, redemption... I don't want to go to sleep... tomorrow starts a new season, a new journey.... Does Beno get playing time again? Holy shit.. it starts...

RC's Boss
06-15-2007, 01:23 AM
REDEMPTION.

FUCKIN' A :toast

makedamnsure
06-15-2007, 01:23 AM
man segu, don't even think about next season. bask in the glory for a little.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-15-2007, 01:24 AM
A bad Manu foul in the closing seconds of the 4th quarter of a close out game once again....

but this time the team still pulls it out. Redemption indeed. :smokinit wasn't a foul. It was a clean block. The refs fucked the call up. It had nothing to do with last seasons fuck up.

Burn531
06-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Congratulations Spurs fans! 4 in 9 years is special.