PDA

View Full Version : So where do we stand: Free Agents and Trades wise?

Please_dont_ban_me
05-23-2006, 04:37 AM
For some reason I see Rober Horry walking away after this.

T-Pain
05-23-2006, 04:46 AM
For some reason I see Rober Horry walking away after this.
lets hope not

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 05:10 AM
Let's hope so.

But I don't think he will.

Bruno
05-23-2006, 05:38 AM
I think a good way to see the offseason is to a look at the salary cap situation. I know most of the fans don't care about that but it will guide our offseason moves.
I don't think the owner want to pay the Luxury Tax for a second straight year. The luxury tax threshold will be around $63M.

We will keep TD/Manu/TP/Bruce/Finley/Horry : that's $45M and so we have $18M to fill the rest of our roster that is to say :
- a backup PG
- an athletic swingman
- 2/3 bigmen
- scrubs for the end of the bench/injury list

mattyc
05-23-2006, 05:56 AM
-NVE and Horry are on their last legs.
-Rasho and Bones trade bait
-Nazr a wildcard
-Beno.. who knows.

TP, Manu, Bruce, Timmy, Finley are our core group. Probably keep Oberto.

Agree with Bruno's assumption. Backup PG is at the top of the list, along with a tall, running SF.

What's the word on Sanikidze, Javtokas, Karaulov, Scola and Mahinmi? I know a few are coming for the summer league, but it would be nice to have 1 or 2 on the roster in 07.

J.R Smith?

DJ Lean
05-23-2006, 06:01 AM
Well I know I read from realgm.com that they mentioned the Spurs being interested in signing point guard Marcus Banks (MIN). I think he'd be a great backup for Tony, except the fact that he may not want to be reduced into such a small role. Also the money issue is a factor.

Kong
05-23-2006, 06:03 AM
Any word on whether Speedy would want to come back or not?

Bruno
05-23-2006, 06:04 AM
What's the word on Sanikidze, Javtokas, Karaulov, Scola and Mahinmi? I know a few are coming for the summer league, but it would be nice to have 1 or 2 on the roster in 07.

- Javtokas : Athletic defensive center who will sign with Spurs this summer
- Sanikidze : SF, will play for the summer league but I doubt he can help us next year : he is very young and raw.
- Karaulov : no nba material.
- Mahinmi : not nba ready.
- Scola : PF, Spurs can sign him if he is not too expensive or trade his rights. I think he will play in nba next year.

J.R Smith?
As talented as Smith is, I don't think he will really help us. He is athletic but short for the SF spot and is a poor defender and rebounder.

rascal
05-23-2006, 06:17 AM
Forget about free agents and big trades. The spurs don't make impact trades.

J.T.
05-23-2006, 07:31 AM
Sign Bonzi Wells lol 40 and 12 a Game!!!

Hey, Isiah Thomas would be dumb enough.

ploto
05-23-2006, 07:41 AM
One thing to keep in mind- the salary cap will be making another jump this season as the percentage used to calculate it- that increased from 48% to 49.5%- will bump again up to 51%. Won't really impact the Spurs because they are clearly going to be over it anyway, but it could give other teams more cap room than you realize.

Pandaemonaeon
05-23-2006, 07:42 AM
Are you guys going to re-sign Finley? The TNT recap said he was one of your free agents.

exstatic
05-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Are you guys going to re-sign Finley? The TNT recap said he was one of your free agents.
Fin signed for 3 years. Don't believe everything you hear.

Leetonidas
05-23-2006, 07:47 AM

I think his second year is player option is what it is.

Bruno
05-23-2006, 08:01 AM
I think his second year is player option is what it is.

The third year is a player option.

Phenomanul
05-23-2006, 08:09 AM

Don't worry we will give him his first title...

SA210
05-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Sign Speedy,
get younger, younger, younger, and make sure we still have shooters and some vets still who can play Defense and make the shot.

Get a damn big so we can get back to twin tower defense.

themvp
05-23-2006, 08:17 AM
- Javtokas : Athletic defensive center who will sign with Spurs this summer

Is this for sure? :angel

td4mvp3
05-23-2006, 08:21 AM
i'm praying for a center so duncan can go back to pf. just someone who could block a shot and rebound would have been excellent. spurs don't need much, but age and the disappearence of our centers was rough.

Bruno
05-23-2006, 08:25 AM
Is this for sure? :angel

almost http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?t=344

Tom_Foolery
05-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Trade Manu for Magloire.

Manu is such an incredible player, but we just can't go into seasons like we do, where one game he's starting and the next game he's coming off the bench.

It's been going on too long for the price he's getting paid. I think adding Magloire would solidify our inside game, especially on the defensive side. Plus, having Michael Finley really does make Manu expendable, sad to say. Manu also isn't getting any younger.

Love Manu, but it maybe time to see what we can really get for Manu before he loses his market value.

SpursChampsIII
05-23-2006, 09:39 AM
I think a good way to see the offseason is to a look at the salary cap situation. I know most of the fans don't care about that but it will guide our offseason moves.
I don't think the owner want to pay the Luxury Tax for a second straight year. The luxury tax threshold will be around $63M.

We will keep TD/Manu/TP/Bruce/Finley/Horry : that's $45M and so we have $18M to fill the rest of our roster that is to say :
- a backup PG
- an athletic swingman
- 2/3 bigmen
- scrubs for the end of the bench/injury list

I like your keepers, but if I remember right, we still have Oberto, Rasho, and Barry extorting taking about another $12M or so.

SPARKY
05-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Never. Trade. Manu.

SPARKY
05-23-2006, 09:48 AM
I have a feeling we'll see Javtokas in SA and Scola's rights traded. Scola would be the more mobile type of big the Spurs are looking for, but he hasn't exactly been the best rebounder. Plus, he'd pretty much take up the MLE. Javtokas could come on the cheap and would be the type of guy to set picks, crash the boards and put back wayward shots. The type of big that Nazr should be. It does concern me that he hasn't played in the states. For a bigman, that concerns me. But the investment will be rather low.

Maybe if Oberto gets regular rotation minutes will he be able to prove his worth. Which is a nice Catch-22. He's a heady player, but he did seem somewhat slow at times this season.

SPARKY
05-23-2006, 09:55 AM
It'll also be interesting to see how Mahinmi and Sanikidze fare in the summerleagues. Sanikidze fits the mold of that bigger, athletic 3 the Spurs need, but his game is rather unknown. Mahinmi definitely has the prototypical profile of the type of big the Spurs need going forward, but might be still too raw to join the team next season.

Bruno
05-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I like your keepers, but if I remember right, we still have Oberto, Rasho, and Barry extorting taking about another $12M or so.

Yep, Oberto+Rasho+Barry+Udrih take $16M.
I haven't counted them because they aren't keepers.

My way to see the offseason :
Spurs have a salary cap at $18M and a team with Oberto/Rasho/Barry/Udrih.
Now we should get a new team (with a backup PG, an athletic swingmen, some bigs and scrubs) by only using :
- these 4 players
- draft rights to euros
- draft picks (we can trade future picks to sweeten deals)
- MLE, LLE and minumun salary players.
and without going over the $18M salary cap.

Horry For 3!
05-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Horry will probably play another year

strangeweather
05-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Yep, Oberto+Rasho+Barry+Udrih take $16M.
I haven't counted them because they aren't keepers.

My way to see the offseason :
Spurs have a salary cap at $18M and a team with Oberto/Rasho/Barry/Udrih.
Now we should get a new team (with a backup PG, an athletic swingmen, some bigs and scrubs) by only using :
- these 4 players
- draft rights to euros
- draft picks (we can trade future picks to sweeten deals)
- MLE, LLE and minumun salary players.
and without going over the $18M salary cap.

Don't forget that we have sign-and-trade rights for Nazr. I don't know whether that will matter, but it seems worth mentioning.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 12:12 PM
The third year is a player option.

I remember there were mixed reports on how many years Finley signed for. Some reports said it was only one year, while several others reported 3.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24627&page=1&pp=26&highlight=finley%27s+contract

We'll see.

Slinkyman
05-23-2006, 12:13 PM
here's a vid of javtokas:

javtokas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWi_ez_wbIM&search=Javtokas)

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Spurs to have a great offseason:
-Get Speedy
-Get Scola
-Get younger

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Spurs to have a great offseason:
-Get Speedy
-Get Scola
-Get younger

Spurs don't have the money for both Speedy and Scola.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-23-2006, 12:16 PM

with Nazr looking like he's leaving, who will replace him?

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 12:21 PM
with Nazr looking like he's leaving, who will replace him?

They'll probably look to sign and trade him. Or just sign Scola and/or Javtokas to replace him.

boutons_
05-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Remember Robert's comment that is 6 rings were as a contributing/rotation player vs another player who got his last ring stuck idling on the bench?

I wouldn't be surprised if Robert retired this summer, thinking he's not contributing anymore, no matter how much he likes the Spurs org.

clubalien
05-23-2006, 12:26 PM
for thos saying get speedy you have to remember there were two reasons we got rid of him
1:)we were getting jason kidd
2:)he was injury prone

whiel number 1 might not happen that doesn't eliminate the number 2 reason.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-23-2006, 12:28 PM
having Speedy would be great, so we don't have to worry about Parker in the 4thor any big game fro that matter

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 12:30 PM
having Speedy would be great, so we don't have to worry about Parker in the 4thor any big game fro that matter

Well Speedy will be too expensive, unless the Spurs aren't going to sign Javtokas and/or Scola. Speedy will get around the full MLE.

spursincharge
05-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Robert Horry told Marc Stein in the Daily Dime the other day he will be playing another season, maybe two.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Robert Horry told Marc Stein in the Daily Dime the other day he will be playing another season, maybe two.

Yeah I read that.

I wish he'd retire though because he doesn't look like he has much left.

strangeweather
05-23-2006, 12:32 PM

Do you suppose a sign-and-trade involving Barry for Speedy would be of any interest to the Hornets?

Bruno
05-23-2006, 12:37 PM
I remember there were mixed reports on how many years Finley signed for. Some reports said it was only one year, while several others reported 3.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24627&page=1&pp=26&highlight=finley%27s+contract

We'll see.

I remember of that too and people cursing on Holt because we let Devin go.

But we get the answer mater in a Ludden article

A percentage of the three-year, $8.4 million contract (the third season is at his option) he signed with the Spurs
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100605.1C.BKNspurs.finley.17bc0235.html

Bruno
05-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Don't forget that we have sign-and-trade rights for Nazr. I don't know whether that will matter, but it seems worth mentioning.

Yep, I have forgotten Nazr and it worth mentioning it but it seems unlikely that we do a S&T because :
- I'm not sure that Nazr will get more than the MLE.
- The other team should be over the cap and there are teams under the cap like Bulls or Hornets who can sign him without a S&T.
- The main reason is that if we do a S&T Spurs would have take back salaries and they will go over the cap. The only way not to take salaries back is a multiteam trade.

Gummi
05-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I think the Spurs should give Udrih the trust and let him be our backup PG. He has played within the Spurs system now for two seasons and should know it pretty well.

At first I liked the Van Exel pickup, but now I'm leaning towards that being a bad move. With Van Exel gone, Udrih should be our backup IMO, he's shown that he's a good backup but he needs some time on the floor. IMO he outplayed Van Exel this season with fewer minutes.

Keep Udrih and sign a third stringer like we did in 04-05.

spursincharge
05-23-2006, 12:50 PM
I think Beno is garbage. Inconsistent shooter....below average defender

Oh wait...Tony Parker without the speed

:rolleyes

Gummi
05-23-2006, 01:20 PM
I think people look too much at Beno's play against Detroit during last season's Finals. Yes, he sucked big time, but in his first season/playoffs/Finals against a great team. We have to give him a break for that.

The only reason he didn't play consistantly this season is because of Nick Van Exel. Pop couldn't sit his ass down because Van Exel decided to sign here for the minimum. Give Beno 15-16 minutes a night and he's good enough to be any teams backup PG.

He's young, good shooter, nice passer, good ball handling, but I agree with the inconsistency. We don't need a starter to give Parker a rest, a solid backup that can play and Beno sure fits that criteria.

Bruno
05-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Beno main quality is to be cheap.
Beno = $1M while a solid backup PG will cost at least $3M (except ring-hunter like NVE or payton).
My POV of Beno is that he can be a good backup if pop trust him but it doesn't seem to be the case.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
05-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Plus, having Michael Finley really does make Manu expendable, sad to say. Manu also isn't getting any younger.

Finley is older than Manu. For what it's worth, though, I'd keep both.

SenorSpur
05-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Still think the Spurs should do the Barry for J.R. Smith trade.

BTW, where is Javtokas from?

strangeweather
05-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Beno main quality is to be cheap.
Beno = $1M while a solid backup PG will cost at least $3M (except ring-hunter like NVE or payton).
My POV of Beno is that he can be a good backup if pop trust him but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I think Beno has proved he can be trusted with regular season minutes, but has thus far utterly failed to prove he can be trusted in the postseason.

He's affordable and he has some good qualities, and unless he's the key to an important trade (unlikely), I would give him one more chance next year. But if he still hasn't proved he can help at the end of next year, I don't see any reason to extend his rookie contract.

baseline bum
05-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Yeah I read that.

I wish he'd retire though because he doesn't look like he has much left.

He looked the same in the 2004 Playoffs. I hope to see Rob back for one more year. I hope to see Scola here too, and Mohammed gone in a sign and trade. Maybe we can pawn him off on New Orleans for Speedy, since they still have no center after making the Magloire deal last year.

Nikos
05-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Speedy would be fantastic. I don't think he would directly improve the team in the regular season, but he would be an awesome backup PG who can defend, and play the pick and roll really well. But would he even want to come back to SA and be a backup? I doubt it.

venitian navigator
05-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Chance for not spoiling our excepions :
big trade with n.o.

mason, a re-signed and traded claxton, macijauskas and j.r. smith
for
udrih, nesterovic a re-signed and traded mohammed

They need big men, and our are decent; mason had a very bad year and they could prefer to get riud of him...we could try of make of him a new bowen (he has athletic skills); plus they already have two first choices, they could spend for re-founding their back court
with sign and trades involved, the salaries should match
with excepions we could sign for three years scola (we have to pay also the buy out, but not with money involved in salary cap stuff) and javtokas
mahinmi, just in case (no problem, he has rookie contract)
Sinikidze just in case (three years, minimum, so no salary problem)

SsKSpurs21
05-23-2006, 03:21 PM
any thoughts on bringing back the mav killer, MALIK ROSE? he is THE answer to beating the mavs small ball lineup. he is fast enough to guard josh howard and stong enough to guard dirk. i hope there is some way we can make that happen. maybe give nazr back + some more worthless draft picks. RC MAKE IT HAPPEN!

thoughts on bringing rose back?

Please_dont_ban_me
05-23-2006, 03:32 PM
All this Speedy talk, is he even available?

If he is, I would love to see him back. I think that might bruise TP's ego but fuck him.

Supreme Allah
05-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Trade Manu for Magloire.

So you actually want the man named...http://hometheaterinfo.com/images/abyss.jpg
On your team? Seriously, take him, please. Let him take YOUR team out of your offense. Let him walk up the court while the Spurs play a 4 on 5 in a half court situation. Please.

Dreams of a Ford, Redd, and Manu backcourt...

Unstoppable.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 04:07 PM
All this Speedy talk, is he even available?

If he is, I would love to see him back. I think that might bruise TP's ego but fuck him.

I am sure TP would love to have a good backup. Speedy is going to cost too much though.

jcrod
05-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah I read that.

he doesn't look like he has much left.

Remember I was getting ridiculed for saying this a couple a weeks ago.

I hope Jav is at least decent.

Bruno
05-23-2006, 04:47 PM
My offseason plan :

Trade with Atlanta :
Rasho + Beno + Scola + 2007 first round pick for Al harrington (S&T $50M/6 years starting at $7M) + John Edwards
Why will Atlanta do it : All Harrington is an unrestricted free agent, his trade value isn't high. They take Rasho big contract but get two prospect and a draft pick. John Edwards is a big body that atlanta won't need with Rasho and that can help us against Yao/Shaq.

Trade with Charlotte :
Brent Barry for Jumaine Jones (S&T, 3years/$10m starting at $3M)
Charlotte get some leadership (brevin Knight will maybe be traded) and we get a solid SF who is a good rebounder.

Free agency :
Split the MLE between Bobby jackson (3years/$10m starting at $3M) and Javtokas ($3years/6M starting at $2M). Sign Mike Wilks for the min and a young swingman like Sanikidze for the min.

Spurs 2006/2007 :
PG : Parker/Jackson/Wilks
SG : Manu/Finley
SF : Bowen/Jones
PF : Harrington/Horry
C : Duncan/Oberto/Javtokas

IL : Sanikidze/Edwards.

It's not perfect but I like the lokk of this team and Spurs stay under the luxury tax.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-23-2006, 05:03 PM
I would LOVE to get Al Harrington

ploto
05-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Atalnta has absolutely no interest in Rasho. Sorry.