PDA

View Full Version : Christians Offer $25,000 Bounty For Head Of Dan Brown

Nbadan
05-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Some Indians want 'Da Vinci' banned, one offers bounty for author's head

New Delhi (ENI). Some Indian Christians are so incensed with the fictional blockbuster "The Da Vinci Code" they want the government to ban it and one Roman Catholic has offered a bounty of US$25 000 on the head of author Dan Brown, leaving other members of the faithful embarrassed by the reaction.

The Mumbai Catholic Council has threatened to stop the screening of the movie if the government fails to ban the recently released movie of the book. Another group called the Catholic Social Forum has said if the shows go ahead it will launch a death fast from 12 May.

Nicolas Almeida, a Catholic and former Mumbai municipal councillor, offered a reward of 1.1 million rupees ($25 000) for the head of author Brown, leading a Catholic journalist to compare Almeida to the Taliban. (...)

eni (http://www.eni.ch/articles/display.shtml?06-0391)

A Christian Fatwa?

Spurminator
05-23-2006, 01:12 PM
All this over a bad movie based on a mediocre novel?

Damn, why isn't there this much outrage over movies like American Pie: Band Camp? Where's the bounty on Eugene Levy's head for selling out and participating in that piece of crap? Priorities, people.

Yonivore
05-23-2006, 01:18 PM
There not Christians.

Oh, Gee!!
05-23-2006, 04:03 PM
yeah, only white people can be X-tians

xrayzebra
05-23-2006, 04:08 PM

That is not true, SA210 is Christian and he says he is
a Mexican.

Phenomanul
05-23-2006, 04:17 PM

As in.... they're not Christians because they/he/she are not acting Christlike.

Get it... got it... good. :tu

Nbadan
05-23-2006, 04:18 PM
There not Christians.

I'm sure some moderate Muslims say the same about Islamic militants, but that doesn't stop indignation from an outraged Christian majority toward all Muslims. So why should'nt this Christian Fatwa be the characterization of all christians by non-Christians?

Oh, Gee!!
05-23-2006, 04:19 PM
As in.... they're not Christians because they/he/she are not acting Christlike.

Get it... got it... good. :tu

is being sarcastic Christ-like? Shame on you, sinner.

Yonivore
05-23-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm sure some moderate Muslims say the same about Islamic militants, but that doesn't stop indignation from an outraged Christian majority toward all Muslims. So why should'nt this Christian Fatwa be the characterization of all christians by non-Christians?
I don't know to whom you're referring but, this isn't my practice. My disdain is directed at Islamofascist terrorists, Muslim extremists, and those in the Muslim faith that condone their behavior.

turambar85
05-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Maybe so Yoni, but it is often easier said than done. Question: would you be comfortable if 1 or 2 Muslim families moved into your neighborhood, or if you were in a football game and noticed 3 muslim men walking in together in large coats? That is enough to constitute as having a problem with the entire group.

Yonivore
05-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Maybe so Yoni, but it is often easier said than done. Question: would you be comfortable if 1 or 2 Muslim families moved into your neighborhood, or if you were in a football game and noticed 3 muslim men walking in together in large coats? That is enough to constitute as having a problem with the entire group.
I guess not, I have a Muslim neighbor now and my son is friends with an Arab (Saudi) boy on his soccer team -- who I presume is Muslim, but, I've never asked. Both families seem real nice.

Now, about the large coats and Muslim men at a football game. Well, being in Texas and it being in the 90's, if I saw any group of young men wearing large coats at any sporting venue, I'd be suspicious.

turambar85
05-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Well for starters, I mean Muslims you arent familiar with, my grandfather is the most racist person I know, but married a Mexican woman. But if you would not be bothered my un-known Muslims, and if we can ignore the temperature, the other scenario wouldnt bother you, I am impressed. Congratulations, youre not a racist.

Oh, Gee!!
05-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Except she is. pwnt

Phenomanul
05-23-2006, 07:22 PM
is being sarcastic Christ-like? Shame on you, sinner.

Jesus called out the Pharisees on many occasions... same difference. :lol

Oh, Gee!!
05-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Jesus called out the Pharisees on many occasions... same difference. :lol

so, now you're comparing yourself to Jesus? Wow.

smeagol
05-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Yes, that's exactly what he did :rolleyes

smeagol
05-23-2006, 08:38 PM
I guess attacking Christianity and more specifically, attacking Catholicism, is an accepted prejudice.

Oh, Gee!!
05-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Yes, that's exactly what he did :rolleyes

I bet it kills you that I'm still posting here. grow up.
:lol

Mr. Peabody
05-23-2006, 09:26 PM
I guess attacking Christianity and more specifically, attacking Catholicism, is an accepted prejudice.

Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.

Oh, Gee!!
05-23-2006, 09:27 PM
how urbane, Peabody

Mr. Peabody
05-23-2006, 09:46 PM
how urbane, Peabody

Well, I did grow up in the city....

But the quote isn't mine. It's Lennon.

Phenomanul
05-23-2006, 11:28 PM

I don't want to argue, or engage in 'discussion' with someone who is so obtuse they can't possibly listen... or even care to see things from the other side...

Besides I'm still a bit depressed from last night.... And so I've decided to be peaceful from this sentence forward...

Peace Oh, Gee!! ...

sghspurs
05-24-2006, 01:43 AM
damn these people need to calm down.

Mr. Peabody
05-24-2006, 07:58 AM
damn these people need to calm down.

Christianity must be faring pretty well if Dan Brown is the biggest threat to the religion.

I would have assumed that science or logic would be much bigger threats.

Mr. Peabody
05-24-2006, 08:08 AM
I think it was Homer Simpson who once said, "If you love the Bible so much, why don't you marry it? In fact, I now pronounce you and the Bible man and wife. And you're the wife! Ah ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. You owe me two hundred bucks."

This quote has nothing to do with the topic, but I thought it was funny as hell and I couldn't see any way to work it into the conversation

xrayzebra
05-24-2006, 09:33 AM

It most definitely is. Christians cannot be offended, only non-believers or
other faiths can be. Hence you see no offensive remarks made about
Muslims or devil worshipers. Muslim-ism is even taught in our schools. Go
figure. PC taken to the Nth.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Archbishop Stanislaus Fernandes, secretary general of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of India, said the fictional work "belittles what is at the heart of Christian faith and cherished in Christian life", in a statement objecting to the release of the movie.

"Every individual has a right to his religious beliefs and to enjoy the respect to them from the followers of other religions," said the bishops' conference in an 11 May statement.

Oh, the irony... :lol

Seriously, why should Catholics be upset about this movie? It is giving them free publicity all over the world, probably reaching 10 times the audience that a speech from the Pope would.

smeagol
05-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.

Twisting what? Given Christ never wrote a word, all you know about Christ is through his disciple and through the followers of his disciples.

smeagol
05-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Oh, the irony... :lol

Seriously, why should Catholics be upset about this movie? It is giving them free publicity all over the world, probably reaching 10 times the audience that a speech from the Pope would.

Sure, having a movie that portrays Catholics as plotting murderous monks is great publicity. :rolleyes

Nbadan
06-05-2006, 02:38 AM
Get this. Pakistan, a mostly Muslim nation, is banning the Da Vinchi code as blasphemous to it's small Christian community..

Pakistan has banned The Da Vinci Code, which has been the subject of protests from members of Pakistan's small Christian community.

Culture Minister Ghulam Jamal said the film was blasphemous.

The screen adaptation of Dan Brown's book revolves around the theory that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and their descendants survive today.

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5045672.stm)

Unity in religious intolerance between Muslims and Christians? Who would have thought?

Extra Stout
06-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Get this. Pakistan, a mostly Muslim nation, is banning the Da Vinchi code as blasphemous to it's small Christian community..

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5045672.stm)

Unity in religious intolerance between Muslims and Christians? Who would have thought?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a pecking order in Islam for dealing with "infidels?" By that, I mean, won't a Muslim nation protect its Christian and Jewish dhimmis from attack and calumny by "pagans" and "polytheists?" Isn't that part of the "People of the Book" doctrine?