PDA

View Full Version : I think it finally caught up to them

redskinfan
05-23-2006, 01:19 PM
The Spurs for years have been drafting young foreigners and keeping them overseas to see if they develop,the spurs have only a few draft picks that actually played the year they were drafted(duncan,parker and beno).We need to start getting more players that are ready to play now. What do you guys think?

Bartzini
05-23-2006, 01:20 PM
If only it was that easy.

JamStone
05-23-2006, 01:21 PM
It likely won't start next season. The Spurs don't have a first round draft pick this year.

WayDowntownBang
05-23-2006, 01:22 PM
I think you're outthinking yourself. They lost to another 60 win team. Bad NBA organization kept this from being the Western Conference Finals. I wouldn't look at this as a 'second round loss'.

First round draft picks don't save teams like San Antonio. They'll be just fine next year, and right back into the hunt.

redskinfan
05-23-2006, 01:22 PM
I know,there is talk of some of the draft picks finally getting a chance to play

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 01:23 PM
This Spurs team should have been one of their deepest. So I don't think it's about that.

But our centers ended up so horrible that the Spurs were forced into playing small ball and it became one of the least deep teams.

You can't win much when you get 2 bench points and have no bigs outside Tim Duncan.

Nazr/Rasho didn't elevate their games enough to be useful on the court. That spelled doom for the Spurs in the end.

ObiwanGinobili
05-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Also - just becaue you have a 1st round draft pick doesn;t mean you'll strike gold either.

the league is litterd with draft busts.

redskinfan
I think you're outthinking yourself. They lost to another 60 win team. Bad NBA organization kept this from being the Western Conference Finals. I wouldn't look at this as a 'second round loss'.

First round draft picks don't save teams like San Antonio. They'll be just fine next year, and right back into the hunt.
true but they looked old and slow.They need some younger bodies

Kori Ellis
I know,there is talk of some of the draft picks finally getting a chance to play

Scola and Javtokas are ready for the NBA. Whether they can work out Scola's contract is yet to be seen.

Sanikidze and Mahinmi will be in summer league but probably aren't ready yet.

Melmart1
05-23-2006, 01:30 PM
With or without a 1st round draft pick, the Spurs' future looks damn good. It's a great time to be a Spurs fan. This year's draft is pretty weak anyways. Even if they got someone in the 1st round, no guarantees that he will be NBA-ready yet, or be effective at all for us. Beno is case in point.

Taking it to the Hole
05-23-2006, 01:35 PM
I think the Spurs have alot invested in their future with Tim, Tony and Manu, so they aren't going to do anything drastic to change the team, but they will be making some moves in the offseason, that is for sure. The weakness that became evident this series was that the Spurs are not athletic enough and they don't have another defensive star like Bowen. I think that is the most worrisome problem, because they rely so heavily on Bowen's defense and he did a great job on Dirk during this series, but just was asked to guard too many people on the Mavs. I think the one reason the Spurs lost wasn't because of refs, or inability to make baskets, it was that their defense wasn't as dominating or suffocating as it was in years past. The problem is their defense needs tuning, not their offense. It's the old adage, "defense wins championships" and the Spurs didn't play defense well enough to win this series.

Louae
05-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Even if they got someone in the 1st round, no guarantees that he will be NBA-ready yet, or be effective at all for us. Beno is case in point.

I've never understood that logic behind Beno being unprepared. In my opinion, Beno was good enough to play a backup point guard role during the playoffs. Nick Van Exel was awful and Beno would've had to work pretty hard to tank as bad as Nick. Why POP stuck with Nick, we'll never know. It obviously wasn't based on performance in game action.

Louae
05-23-2006, 01:42 PM
The weakness that became evident this series was that the Spurs are not athletic enough and they don't have another defensive star like Bowen. I think that is the most worrisome problem, because they rely so heavily on Bowen's defense and he did a great job on Dirk during this series, but just was asked to guard too many people on the Mavs. I think the one reason the Spurs lost wasn't because of refs, or inability to make baskets, it was that their defense wasn't as dominating or suffocating as it was in years past. The problem is their defense needs tuning, not their offense. It's the old adage, "defense wins championships" and the Spurs didn't play defense well enough to win this series.

Their defense was the reason they ultimately lost this series, no doubt. The refs were the ones who didn't allow the spurs to escape defeat in spite of it. Games 3 and 4 will forever haunt spurs fans but forgotten among the masses.

whottt
05-23-2006, 01:44 PM
AJ simply short cicuited our D...

It's not that Horry, Nazr and Rasho sucked in this series...

It's that no one could guard Dirk and putting a C would have forced Duncan to guard him...

AJ just found our weakness...

The little fucker is a great fucking coach...he figured out our weakness and exploited it...it's not a major weakness, except against the Mavs, and it is one that can be easily fixed.

A long defense oriented SF to put on Dirk solves this problem....

The Spurs need to have the versatility to go to a Suns trype likeup in which their SF plays PF....and Duncan can move to C...

That's all it is...I think we probably could have dealt with it better in this series than we did...but Pop is stubborn...he's going to find the player that fills the role he is looking for and the problem will be solved and will again be able to play Spurs type D against the Mavs and Suns...

And we can run with the best of them now...

All these issues are easily solved.

Get refuel...add some versatility and boom...it's back in business...only Manu is going to be more motivated than ever.

Southwest Texas Fan
05-23-2006, 02:04 PM
What ever happend to LJIII.