PDA

View Full Version : Needing an explanation for the Horry hate...

whottt
05-23-2006, 02:35 PM
-

- I hope Robert Horry is finished in San Antonio. Thank you for everything you've done, but the all around lack of effort and the apperence that he just didn't care about these playoffs lead me to believe that perhaps his fire is out. And I can understand that to a degree. He's had a great career, but maybe it is time to go out.

Hopefully Horry will retire (but he won't).

:wtf

Exactly what is he guilty of? Sitting himself on the bench? Asking guys 6 inches shorter than Dirk to guard him?

There is not a shred of any blame that can be put on Horry for this series...he didn't get time to do anything...because Pop elected to go with a line up averaging 5'2 for 40 minutes a game...

Don't blame Horry for not doing anything in this series...

Blame Pop for it...

Horry wasn't even given the chance to guard Dirk...the one time he was isoed on him...he stripped the ball from Dirk.

And evne if he can't guard Dirk...you don't just blow up your championship bench because of what you didn't have on it...

You don't just throw out proven winners...for Hedo Turkoglu...

And I speak from the voice of experience here...

Because ya'll sound exactly like Rockets and Lakers fans when they blew up their team rashly..matter of fact...ya'll sound like Spursfans in 2004.

Robert Horry is not done...he's not any different than he has ever been and if anything...what hurt us in this series is that he wasn't on the court enough in the deciding moments of games....

Yah he flubbed a pass in one game...so did every other guy on the team.

People need to be looking at what can be added to the proven core of this bench....not dismantling it and replacing it with unproven players.

Yes we need youth...but we also need veterans and Robert Horry is definitely one of the ones you keep...if only because he is absolutely terrifying standing at the 3 point line at the end of a game.

Spurminator
05-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Robert Horry can still spread the floor against a team like Detroit. I'd love to have him on the team next year.

whottt
05-23-2006, 02:37 PM
He can still defend, block shots etc..he's still clutch...that's his best attribute...we didn't give him a chance to be clutch in this series...

He was standing wide open from 3 at the end of regulation...it's not his fault no one trusted him...every other teamate that ever has, has gotten a ring for doing that...his teamates elected not to trust him this time...blame them, not him. And blame his coach for not trusting him as well.

CosmicCowboy
05-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks Whottt...

Every non-spurs defensive players nightmare is getting caught between Duncan and Horry as the clock is ticking down and having to decide if they should leave to double Tim...

whottt
05-23-2006, 02:40 PM
And if we're gonnna start dumping guys because they can't guard Dirk....well then we're going to need an new team. Because no one else can either...including our two ALL NBA Defensive players.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't hate Horry. I like him a lot. I am not blaming him for not being able to guard Dirk. No one really can.

I just don't think he has much left in the tank. And if he retires (which I don't think he will), that will free a roster spot for someone else.

The Spurs need some young athletes and need space for them.

Tobias
05-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah I wouldnt say theres "hate" for Horry, its just sort of the coming to terms with Horry's body-age finally catching up to him. I think he's worth keeping around in a much more limited role.

RON ARTEST
05-23-2006, 02:45 PM
i understand it. i think he needs to play hard through the whole season instead of waiting until the playoffs to turn it on. maybe he could have done it earlier in his career but next year if hes still playing he needs to play hard the entire season.

ploto
05-23-2006, 02:47 PM
I love Rob- even when people hated him- but he was different this play-offs. You could see it in his eyes and his body language. The thrill of Rob for me has always been the joy you see in his playing of basketball. He has talked about it often-- how much fun he has just playing the game. That was nowhere to be found in him. I sincerely have been concerned that he has looked like someone who was depressed, especially compared to his usual self. That twinkle in his eye and that bounce in his step just could not be found. I wondered if the death in his family had some profound effect on him in some way because I did not really know how else to explain it. He certainly isn't done but he hasn't been the same Rob either.

2centsworth
05-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Pop should have switched out Bowen for Horry after Bruce was obviously struggling with his shot down the stretch. At least give horry 2-3 mins to see what he could do since the guy does have 6 rings and usually comes up huge in those types of situations.

whottt
05-23-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't hate Horry. I like him a lot. I am not blaming him for not being able to guard Dirk. No one really can.

I just don't think he has much left in the tank. And if he retires (which I don't think he will), that will free a roster spot for someone else.

That's fine...you want to dump Rasho, Nazr, Marks or Oberto...be my guest but Horry is the one you keep.

We will still need veterans on this team...

Remember 03? Who saved our butts in game 2 VS Phoenix?

37 year old King of the Unclutch, no athleticism, Danny Ferry...

Robert Horry in a wheel chair...can do more than Danny Ferry did...Sorry SW ;)

He's the one you keep and there is a long list of fans that miss him that will back this point up.

Robert Horry never looks like he gives a shit or is playing hard....that's why he fucks people up when puts on his cape in the final 5 minutes of championship pivotal game.

whottt
05-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Just remember in game 5 of the finals last year...he did do shit until the last minute of the 3rd quarter.

In 1995 when he hit his first or second last second big game playoff winner against our beloved Spurs...

It was the only shot of the game he made.

He's not the reason we lost this series. And he is still a valuable asset to championship contenders.

MadDog73
05-23-2006, 02:51 PM
I can't see dropping Horry. He's Steve Kerr, sitting on the bench, but ready to come up and hit threes when you need him. Actually, he's better than Steve Kerr, cause he can defend, too. Yeah, he didn't "win" any games for us like he did last year against Detroit. But remember how he sucked in 2004? If we dropped him then, we would never have won in 2005.

Keep Horry. As a good luck charm if for nothing else. He'll retire next year anyway... (hey, good motivation for a 2007 Championship! For Horry's 7th Ring!)

CharlieMac
05-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Horry was given a raw deal this playoff run. He played quite a few minutes against one of the quicker teams in teh league.

baseline bum
05-23-2006, 02:53 PM
I want Rob back. He's a versitale player who I think still has one more year left. Plus, the Spurs will never do better with only minimum contracts to offer after spending their MLE on Scola, a PG, or a SG.

Melmart1
05-23-2006, 02:54 PM
i understand it. i think he needs to play hard through the whole season instead of waiting until the playoffs to turn it on. maybe he could have done it earlier in his career but next year if hes still playing he needs to play hard the entire season.

Yet another fan of another team trying to evaluate Spurs players when they have no clue what they are talking about. Horry can't play big minutes during the season and be effective in the playoffs. That's why the Lakers did not re-sign him, they thought he was through cus he had a shitty playoffs, but 2004 proved them wrong. He may not have shown up this year, but most of our bench didn't either.

whottt
05-23-2006, 02:56 PM
I love Rob- even when people hated him- but he was different this play-offs. You could see it in his eyes and his body language. The thrill of Rob for me has always been the joy you see in his playing of basketball. He has talked about it often-- how much fun he has just playing the game. That was nowhere to be found in him. I sincerely have been concerned that he has looked like someone who was depressed, especially compared to his usual self. That twinkle in his eye and that bounce in his step just could not be found. I wondered if the death in his family had some profound effect on him in some way because I did not really know how else to explain it. He certainly isn't done but he hasn't been the same Rob either.

I'll tell you what was different about him...

He wasn't on the fucking court.

He was sitting there watching the final minutes of huge playoff games...

And probably wondering...what in THE fuck is Pop doing here? Brent Barry and Michael Finley over me? Ok Pop...die your way.

And he'd be right...because I was wondering that too.

SenorSpur
05-23-2006, 03:00 PM
It's hard to say what difference Horry could have made in this series if he was used more. He is strictly a perimeter player now, but still capable of big contributions in spurts. For that reason, I believe Horry has earned the right to continue playing if he wants to.

Obviously, the Spurs main goal is to get younger and more athletic. If they can do that and keep Horry around - that's great. But if they need a roster spot to add another player that suits those goals, then they should consider not bringing him back.

2centsworth
05-23-2006, 03:02 PM
I'll tell you what was different about him...

He wasn't on the fucking court.

He was sitting there watching the final minutes of huge playoff games...

And probably wondering...what in THE fuck is Pop doing here? Brent Barry and Michael Finley over me? Ok Pop...die your way.

And he'd be right...because I was wondering that too.
it was obvious to me Bruce needed a spell because he had no legs on his shots. You take your shot with Horry.

MadDog73
05-23-2006, 03:05 PM
it was obvious to me Bruce needed a spell because he had no legs on his shots. You take your shot with Horry.

Oh come on. Those shot were close, and he hit a few earlier.

Plus, you need Bruce on defense. That said, I wouldn't mind if Horry had played some over Barry.

whottt
05-23-2006, 03:06 PM
SO let me get this straight...Senor Spurs...

Because the guys Pop elected to go with this year failed where Horry didn't last year...

We should cut Horry and keep those guys?

Brilliant...

SenorSpur
05-23-2006, 03:27 PM
SO let me get this straight...Senor Spurs...

Because the guys Pop elected to go with this year failed where Horry didn't last year...

We should cut Horry and keep those guys?

Brilliant...

If you read what I wrote, I stated that if the Spurs can accomplish the goal of getting younger and still keep Horry, that would be best. But, if they needed the roster spot for another player that meets their needs, they should consider that too.

After losing a series like that and having your weaknesses exposed, the Spurs can and should consider any and all options that can improve their team.

The Mavs are only going to get better. Because they are much younger than us, it's vital the Spurs purge some of the age on the team to keep up.

DDS4
05-23-2006, 03:33 PM

A lot of people were dumping on Horry after his 2004 performance versus the Lakers. He put that to rest the next year.

We did a good job of spacing his minutes during the regular season but that ab strain really took him out of his rhythm this season.

There will be some roster spots open with the departure of NVE and Nazr.

whottt
05-23-2006, 03:36 PM
They Mavericks are not really much younger than the Spurs...

Jason Terry is 29 years old...

Dirk is 28...

Stackhouse is 32,

Dampier is 33...

It's basically our bench and in particular our 2 guard and SF slots that our age hurts us...

The oldest guy on our entire team is 35 years old....That's a pretty young oldest guy on the team.

Our core team is young other than Bruce, even Duncan is still in mid career.

2centsworth
05-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Oh come on. Those shot were close, and he hit a few earlier.

Plus, you need Bruce on defense. That said, I wouldn't mind if Horry had played some over Barry.
Bruce missed 4 str8 and last hit in the 1st half. He needed a break but didn't get one.

ShoogarBear
05-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Horry I'm sort of ambivalent about. He didn't show much, but he didn't get much of a chance.

The guy who hurt us this series was Brent Barry. I know if you look at his stats he didn't shoot that bad. But I felt he could have been a lot more aggressive than he was on the offensive end. and some of his turnovers were horrendous.

MannyIsGod
05-23-2006, 03:46 PM
I hope Brent is moved out as well. Not because I dislike the guy. I think Brent is great. But I think he's our most tradeable piece.

And I have no hate for Horry. Without him, The Spurs have 2 trophys not 3. I love the guy, but I feel like he's got nothing left. If he comes back, I hope he proves me wrong.

whottt
05-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Barry's passing sucked this series....and he was pretty much responsible for NVE getting as much court time as he did.

Last year his passing never sucked...it always made sense...this series he was flat out forcing it...

I didn't care what he shot as long as it was around 37%....

But last year he always helped our offense regardless of his individual numbers...

This year he did not. He was making some seriously bad passes...

Like I said...I think he had about 3 games where he had 3 TO's in this series...I think he had 3 games of 3 TO's all of last season.

I do think the fact that he kept getting fucked by the refs on blocking calls when he was clearly in position to pick up the offensive foul started to screw up his game and frustrate him.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2006, 03:56 PM
That's fine...you want to dump Rasho, Nazr, Marks or Oberto...

Oh I am willing and eager to dump all four of them too. :)

ducks
05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
horry would not have had to play as many minutes or even start had they had the long three and not get in foul trouble
and make more clutch shots

spurs can carry 15 guys
it is not like they do need a spot
horry can be ir fodder tell after all star break anyhow

ducks
05-23-2006, 04:02 PM
why Oberto?

SenorSpur
05-23-2006, 04:44 PM
why Oberto?

I don't see where this guy fit in. He's not big enough to guard a 5 and doesn't seem quick enough to guard a four.

Tobias
05-23-2006, 05:06 PM
why Marks? =(