PDA

View Full Version : Which loss hurts more?

SenorSpur
05-24-2006, 12:08 AM
I don't know if this has been brought up yet.

In the midst of this most devastating loss, I was curious to know which loss hurt more - this latest loss to the Mavs or the 2004 loss to the Lakers on Derek Fisher's last second shot?

samikeyp
05-24-2006, 12:08 AM

flipcritic
05-24-2006, 12:12 AM

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Definitely 0.4 because we were cheated, pure and simple. There is NO WAY Fisher could catch, twist and shoot in 0.4, and i am still bitter about that.

This time it really doesn't hurt that much because:
1. I always thought we'd lose playing small ball against one of the two best small ball teams in the league, and,
2. To even get to game 7 OT after going down 3-1 was amazing.

The thing that plagues me is one more FT made, or one missed by the Mavs, and we are in the WCFs. But that's basketball.

Despot
05-24-2006, 12:13 AM

Although I'm not convinced we would have won the series had we won that game, but it definately hurt more.

timvp
05-24-2006, 12:16 AM
This loss. The Lakers were the better team in 2004. Shaq, Kobe, Malone and Payton coached by Phil Jackson ... the Spurs were underdogs going into it. Plus the Timberwolves were damn good, not to mention the Pistons coming out of the East were on a mission with Larry Brown in charge.

This year the final four teams left are way weaker.

spurs=bling
05-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Duncan pulled off such an awesome shot. then Fisher pulled one out of his ass. :depressed

DDS4
05-24-2006, 12:20 AM
I always thought 0.4 was moot because the Spurs were destroyed in game 6 anyway.

This series hurts more because we were 21 seconds away from being better than the Mavs. That hurts.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-24-2006, 12:25 AM
This loss, easily. 2004 we were still alive after 0.4, but didn't have the heart to overcome it. This series Spurs were down so much (down 3-1, down 20 in game 7...) but they showed tremendous heart in coming back every time. Also, as timvp said, the Final 4 are much weaker, the only team that could beat us is Detroit imo, and right now they're not really playing Pistons basketball.

Despot
05-24-2006, 12:26 AM
I always thought 0.4 was moot because the Spurs were destroyed in game 6 anyway.

This series hurts more because we were 21 seconds away from being better than the Mavs. That hurts.

Not trying to argue, just pointing something out.
We had 2,859 seconds other seconds to prove that we were better. In game 5 Dallas was 1 second away from being much better than us. You open Pandoras box like that and Detroit starts saying they were just a few minutes away from being better than us.

sghspurs
05-24-2006, 01:22 AM
this one because its the most recent

CharlieMac

The initial shock of that shot going in and being counted will never be forgotten.

sghspurs
hell they both suck ass.

koopa
05-24-2006, 01:42 AM
.4 for me casue i have a friend that is a laker fans so he talk a lot of shit, i have no friends that like the mavs thank god

SA Gunslinger
05-24-2006, 02:03 AM

T-Pain
05-24-2006, 02:19 AM

SenorSpur
05-24-2006, 05:29 AM

That sums up my thoughts as well.

David Bowie
05-24-2006, 05:59 AM
Definatly .4 for me.

I have been in europe for the past 4 months and haven't been able to watch basketball, therefore didn't see this one one live, like I did with the Lakers.

.4 shoudln't have counted.

I don't hate the Mavs, but I hated the Lakers bitterly.

Leeroy
05-24-2006, 06:38 AM
personally they both hurt heaps. but in different ways.

0.4 pissed me right off more than anything because the BS should never have counted.

this loss just left me gutted, after returning from the dead, tim playing out of his mind again, then to go so close to beating a team after adapting our game to suit theirs it just plain hurt

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-24-2006, 07:47 AM
This one hurts, but we'll get over it in time I'm sure...Because it played out like how Basketball plays out. That's just how it goes. It was within the rules. We had OT and Mavs outplayed the Spurs there.

0.4 IS TERRIBLE. REWATCHING That FOOTAGE IS JUST so hard to swallow....

Duncan's amazing shot was just too crazy. We had enough to repeat that year, they just stopped playing with confidence...Lakers were not so great. Just on paper. Losing to the Lakers is worse. Mavs is a team I can't hate, they played great. Karl Malone needed to be eliminated pronto. Kobe-Shaq Lakers were the most hated in the country at that time.

Texas_Ranger
05-24-2006, 08:41 AM
That Fisher shot, that sure hurts more

AlvinRobertsonrocksjail
05-24-2006, 11:31 AM
.4 shot was unreal and hurt more.. I still hurt from the 89/90 Portland series also. Rod Strickland's fancy pass killed us... Sean Elliott's free throw shooting in the 1995 WCF sits in my head also..

dknights411
05-24-2006, 12:52 PM
I got over .04 in 2005. Hopefully, I can get over this loss in 2007. ;)

MadDog73
05-24-2006, 12:57 PM
.4 hurts more, because I hate the Lakers. That was such a bitter rivalry, and for them to get 4 Championships (which looked guaranteed at the time), was unbearable. Sure, we had a shot at game 6, but the Spurs heart was crushed after that.

Actually, 0.4 makes this loss a little more bearable... but not by much!

DarrinS
05-24-2006, 01:02 PM
The Fisher shot hurt more, because Tim had just hit a fantastic shot himself.

The Mavs just squeaked by. The 2000-2002 Lakers were a FAR SUPERIOR team than this 06 Mavs bunch.

SilverSpur
05-24-2006, 01:02 PM
I am a huge Spurs fan, and I watch ever game. I knew we were going to lose when you see Duncan complaining about every missed shot and how there was a foul. He tick me off more than any other freaking player on the team because he doesnt finish. He gets near the basket and he takes that sissy ass finger roll shot or he tries to baby it in. He need to dunk that ball with passion and he would get the call everytime.
I love the Spurs more than anyone here but I am sick of this soft method of playing basketball in San Antonio. Duncan and Nazi have more ball taken away or knocked out of their hands than any other players in the NBA.
I am also tired of the Spurs giving up last second shots at the end of quarters, halftime and the end of games. Everytime, Everytime, Everytime. I am sick of it.

DarrinS
05-24-2006, 01:04 PM
I am a huge Spurs fan, and I watch ever game. I knew we were going to lose when you see Duncan complaining about every missed shot and how there was a foul. He tick me off more than any other freaking player on the team because he doesnt finish. He gets near the basket and he takes that sissy ass finger roll shot or he tries to baby it in. He need to dunk that ball with passion and he would get the call everytime.
I love the Spurs more than anyone here but I am sick of this soft method of playing basketball in San Antonio. Duncan and Nazi have more ball taken away or knocked out of their hands than any other players in the NBA.
I am also tired of the Spurs giving up last second shots at the end of quarters, halftime and the end of games. Everytime, Everytime, Everytime. I am sick of it.

Mavs poser.

Tim was the best player in that series -- PERIOD. He was better than Stephi Graff, I mean Dork, I mean Dirk.

MadDog73
05-24-2006, 01:04 PM
The Fisher shot hurt more, because Tim had just hit a fantastic shot himself.

The Mavs just squeaked by. The 2000-2002 Lakers were a FAR SUPERIOR team than this 06 Mavs bunch.

And yet, Mavs have a better chance of beating the Pistons than those Lakers did.

DarrinS
05-24-2006, 01:05 PM
And yet, Mavs have a better chance of beating the Pistons than those Lakers did.

The way the Pistons are playing right now? Maybe.

Nikos
05-24-2006, 01:08 PM
.4 hurt more. Minesotta had Cassell injured anyway. No one way Minnesotta beats the Spurs with an injured Cassell.

The Pistons were very good, but the Spurs matched up well that year. Hedo/Prince etc....

This loss was frustrating in a different way. The Spurs showed their weaknesses early on, and you never got the sense they could shake the Mavs. But when they were down 3-1 it didn't look good. Yeah they came back, but it was far from a lock for them to win Game 7. Going down 20 early on just revealed the chinks in their armor. Dallas exposed them. I still don't really consider Dallas to be any better of a team, especially when the Spurs won 63 games with key players hurt (not key role players, key CORE players).

Maybe this loss will hurt more in the future if the Spurs can't remain healthy next season come playoff time. But right now I don't feel quite as crushed as .4.

But the more I think about it.......

baseline bum
05-24-2006, 01:09 PM
0.4. I felt like the Spurs just gave that series away. The team was red-hot, and playing great basketball until Tony Parker just became worthless out of nowhere.

I never felt like the Spurs gave this series with Dallas away. They showed a lot of nut, but this time I felt like they were beaten by the better team. We overcame a lot of injuries to get 63, but Dallas had even more and put up 60. Dallas disrupted the Spurs defense way more than any team I've ever seen, 2001 Lakers included. I can't really be hurt by this loss like I was the others, because I don't feel like there was a lot more the Spurs could have done. There was no questioning the effort, the team never had their heads down, and they fought to the death. There's nothing more I could have asked out of the Spurs.

Brutalis
05-24-2006, 01:09 PM
the loss the other night.