PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Manu's big error? Spurs see that now

SequSpur
05-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Another stupid article that fails to blame Pop for his mistakes. When is this city going to get a writer/reporter, etc. with some fucking balls.

Buck Harvey: Manu's big error? Spurs see that now

Web Posted: 05/24/2006 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Don't blame Manu Ginobili for one play. Blame him for something bigger.

Blame him for being too good. Blame him for raising the price of the next Manu.

When the Spurs try to figure out what to do with Luis Scola, who looks to be everything Ginobili was, they stop partly because of one factor.

Ginobili's success has made everything stickier.

This wasn't an issue four years ago when the Spurs faced similar questions. In 2002 they also lost in the second round, and then some thought they weren't athletic enough. That's because they weren't.

They didn't have many options that summer, just as they don't have many now. Then came the change. The Spurs brought over an Argentine who had been playing in Europe.

Yeah, that was some mistake. Two titles later — as well as a few thousand No. 20 jerseys sold — Ginobili ranks among the best Spurs in franchise history.

He will recover from Game 7, as will his franchise. The Spurs have enough to compete next season with the core that returns, although the Spurs might not win 63 games again in the regular season.

The Clippers, after all, are young and improving. The Rockets will be better with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady healthy. Amare Stoudemire will come back. And the Mavericks are just beginning their run.

But Tim Duncan proved, with the best playoff series of his career, he's not exactly fading away. As long as he's on this level — and this should go a minimum of another three years — the Spurs will be among the elite.

Still, the Spurs need a lift, and the same was true in 2002. That's when Ginobili, mostly unknown in the United States but considered the best player in Europe, agreed to play for a bargain price of $1.5 million.

Why? At the time few understood the gold-medal power of the Argentines, and another example came in the draft that same year. Then the Spurs went back to their South American well and took the second-best player from Argentina, Scola.

The Spurs thought enough of Scola to consider drafting him with their first-round selection, at No. 26. They instead traded the pick for Speedy Claxton.

A full round later, with Ginobili not yet revealing what was possible, Scola was still available. The Spurs took him at No. 56 as they had once taken Ginobili at No. 57.

Scola is about as old as Ginobili was in 2002, but they are opposites in style. Scola is a 6-foot-9 post player, and that's a negative for the Spurs. He plays, basically, Duncan's position.

He doesn't spread the floor, either, which means he might have gotten Rasho-Nazr time in the Dallas series. Scola hasn't made a 3-pointer in 25 games in Europe this season. That's why, ultimately, the Spurs will consider trading Scola's rights for someone who fits better.

But there's another side to Scola. He plays with Ginobili's spirit.

Gregg Popovich defended Ginobili on Tuesday, though he really didn't have to. Most in San Antonio understand what Ginobili has meant to this franchise.

But Popovich insisted, and he eventually came up with a phrase deserving of a plaque and a ceremonial presentation. Ginobili, Popovich said, is the "Stud of the world."

That would make Scola the junior stud. He's a bull, banging and scoring with both intelligence and determination. That's why he ranks among the top five players in Europe, culminating with him being named to the All-Euroleague team.

How this translates to the NBA: His Spanish teammate, a Brazilian named Tiago Splitter, is not as good right now, and Splitter will be an NBA lottery pick.

So why not add lottery talent to a locker room that needs it? Why not sub Scola when Duncan sits, and sometimes combine them to punish some teams inside?

The Spurs would do it today for Ginobili's old salary. But after what Ginobili has done, after everyone fully understands what the European leagues can produce, the price will be up to as much as $4million a year. That's a lot to pay someone who might not get many minutes.

So the Spurs hesitate on the kind of talent that changed them in 2002.

Why?

It's clear whom to blame.

whottt
05-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Buck Harvey can really suck ass sometimes....

It's like every once in a while he'll write an article while he's on LSD or drunk or something, or both.

This article is one of those times.

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 12:42 AM
Well the Ludden article today is very good if that's any help. :lol

whottt
05-24-2006, 12:45 AM
Oh and thanks Buck, for picking us to win...loser!

2centsworth
05-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Let's see a 6'9'' PF who plays with Manu's spirit and forces Dirk to play defense. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

timvp
05-24-2006, 12:56 AM
If the Spurs could trade Scola for a high draft pick or a long three, I'd do it right now. Scola will probably be good, but he doesn't really fit with what this team needs.

That said, I don't want the Spurs to give him away. He's still under contract for another season in Spain, so if it comes down to it make him wait another year if you don't want to bring him over this coming season.

T Park
05-24-2006, 01:22 AM
Scola will probably be good, but he doesn't really fit with what this team needs.
a good bigman who is a stud?

:lol

oook

SA Gunslinger
05-24-2006, 01:22 AM
It's not Manu's fault. The Spurs did not have the personnel to matchup with the Mavericks.

The Spurs were built to beat Miami and Detroit. Dallas was built to beat the Spurs. I love our team and they will be back even stronger.

And despite all the bad matchups, Spurs still almost pulled it out. I am not blaming TP but if he was more consistent with his jumper, the Spurs would have beaten the Mavs. TP isn't there yet but he will be soon. That is a scary thought for the rest of the NBA.

Pop is a great coach. Frequenting sports bars here in LA, I have spoken to several fans of the different playoff teams this year. And I asked all of them what they thought of Pop and they all would love to have him coach their respective team. Not one person had a bad word about Pop. Even the Spurs haters loved Pop.

I still love my Spurs and I have no doubt that they will bring Larry home once again.

sghspurs
05-24-2006, 01:27 AM
manu is still the man. he's all heart.

T Park
05-24-2006, 01:30 AM
Pop is a great coach. Frequenting sports bars here in LA, I have spoken to several fans of the different playoff teams this year. And I asked all of them what they thought of Pop and they all would love to have him coach their respective team. Not one person had a bad word about Pop. Even the Spurs haters loved Pop.

what do they know?

Obviously, according to Aggie, those people are popsuckers.

venitian navigator
05-24-2006, 05:02 AM
I think the price should not be that high...also 'cause he and his agent will have to consider we'll have to pay the Tau, at least, another three millions (in 6 years), not counted in salary cap exceptions.
So, I think that could be possible to split the mid level of three years each on Scola and javtokas...

exstatic
05-24-2006, 07:14 AM
a good bigman who is a stud?

:lol

oook
TPark - He scores in and around the post. That's it. He's not going to stretch the floor, rebound or block shots. Tim's complement needs to do at least two of those things.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2006, 08:08 AM
what do they know?

Obviously, according to Aggie, those people are popsuckers.

And according to me, you're a dumbfuck. Either talk x's and o's and personnel, or shut the fuck up honkey.

WalterBenitez
05-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Thi guy loves Manu, am I right? It's hard to imagine Luis Scola having the same impact that Manu had in Spurs ....

Honestly Scola is a warrior, can catch the ball (don't call me stupid since we NAZR and those night), can go for a ball with the same passion like Manu ... Let me put a big question mark in his defense (he's not good in that area in FIBA, imagine in NBA), probably rebounds as well as he does in FIBA's world.

WalterBenitez
05-24-2006, 08:18 AM
BTW, I'd love to see Luis Scola and Tiago Splitter in the same team in NBA, those have something good between them (it's not love :D) it's a natural understanding.

Russ
05-24-2006, 08:22 AM
[I]Another stupid article that fails to blame Pop for his mistakes. When is this city going to get a writer/reporter, etc. with some fucking balls.

Kevin O'Keefe?

rayweb_on
05-24-2006, 10:05 AM
ok juts imagine this
a 6'9 player who plays strong inside and its a scoring machine at the same time in the floor with duncan( an incredible player inside) that will make the spurs truly hard to guard ..why ...cus then the other teams have to focus inside and with 2 speedy players like ginobili an parker and a 3 point shooter in the floor the match ups will be wird for the other teams .. by the way scola can guard almost any center in the nba except yao shaq (obvius...who can?) so bring him now!!!

JoeChalupa
05-24-2006, 10:15 AM
I don't blame the loss all on Pop. We had some games won but didn't get it done. Pop cannot control missed shots and opportunities but that is just me.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Despite the implication that we're just gonna trade the rights to him due to the business aspects, I'd really like to see Scola play for the Spurs...

I liked his game during the Olympics and Manu's really good friends with him so his "worries" or "self-doubt" would be erased since Scola at his side will remind him of his Olympic Run, so a Manu-Scola Tandem will FUSTIGATE the League...Remember all those times Nazr dropped the ball? ....No MORE.

We couldn't play Nazr or Rasho or rely on them for many reasons, one, they were never hardcore scoring threats...like others have been saying, if Scola lives up to his rep/heart then Make the damn teams adjust to US! 4 scoring threats, 2 cutters, 2 inside Men?? That's tough.
Ben Wallace is only around 6'8, 6'9 he plays center. I don't understand the PF conflict. Horry isn't exactly big enough to back up Duncan when he's in foul trouble.

CosmicCowboy
05-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Another stupid article that fails to blame Pop for his mistakes. When is this city going to get a writer/reporter, etc. with some fucking balls.

Buck Harvey: Manu's big error? Spurs see that now

Web Posted: 05/24/2006 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Don't blame Manu Ginobili for one play. Blame him for something bigger.

Blame him for being too good. Blame him for raising the price of the next Manu.

When the Spurs try to figure out what to do with Luis Scola, who looks to be everything Ginobili was, they stop partly because of one factor.

Yeah right...their games aren't even remotely similar except for the hustle.

Ginobili's success has made everything stickier.

This wasn't an issue four years ago when the Spurs faced similar questions. In 2002 they also lost in the second round, and then some thought they weren't athletic enough. That's because they weren't.

They didn't have many options that summer, just as they don't have many now. Then came the change. The Spurs brought over an Argentine who had been playing in Europe.

Yeah, that was some mistake. Two titles later — as well as a few thousand No. 20 jerseys sold — Ginobili ranks among the best Spurs in franchise history.

He will recover from Game 7, as will his franchise. The Spurs have enough to compete next season with the core that returns, although the Spurs might not win 63 games again in the regular season.

He's right on that. They could easily win more. Pop is getting the "new NBA" game figured out and has the core talent under contract to implement it.

The Clippers, after all, are young and improving. The Rockets will be better with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady healthy. Amare Stoudemire will come back. And the Mavericks are just beginning their run.

four years straight at what? 45 games a year because of back problems? What are the odds on that?

But Tim Duncan proved, with the best playoff series of his career, he's not exactly fading away. As long as he's on this level — and this should go a minimum of another three years — the Spurs will be among the elite.

Still, the Spurs need a lift, and the same was true in 2002. That's when Ginobili, mostly unknown in the United States but considered the best player in Europe, agreed to play for a bargain price of $1.5 million.

Why? At the time few understood the gold-medal power of the Argentines, and another example came in the draft that same year. Then the Spurs went back to their South American well and took the second-best player from Argentina, Scola.

The Spurs thought enough of Scola to consider drafting him with their first-round selection, at No. 26. They instead traded the pick for Speedy Claxton.

A full round later, with Ginobili not yet revealing what was possible, Scola was still available. The Spurs took him at No. 56 as they had once taken Ginobili at No. 57.

[/b]Scola is about as old as Ginobili was in 2002, but they are opposites in style. Scola is a 6-foot-9 post player, and that's a negative for the Spurs. He plays, basically, Duncan's position.

He doesn't spread the floor, either, which means he might have gotten Rasho-Nazr time in the Dallas series. Scola hasn't made a 3-pointer in 25 games in Europe this season. That's why, ultimately, the Spurs will consider trading Scola's rights for someone who fits better. [/b]

I'm not sure I agree with this but trust the Spurs coaching staff to make the right decision. Scola's big weakness is a weak jump shot and Spurs already have a full time shooting coach with Chip. Who knows what he could do? The post up game won't go away. He plays decent perimeter defense from what I habe seen and is a hustler/rebounder. New NBA rules on the perimeter are closer to FIBA rules and the transition shouldn't be as tough. He could be a huge mismatch for a lot of teams like Bonzi Wells was in the Sacrasmento series.

But there's another side to Scola. He plays with Ginobili's spirit.

Gregg Popovich defended Ginobili on Tuesday, though he really didn't have to. Most in San Antonio understand what Ginobili has meant to this franchise.

But Popovich insisted, and he eventually came up with a phrase deserving of a plaque and a ceremonial presentation. Ginobili, Popovich said, is the "Stud of the world."

That would make Scola the junior stud. He's a bull, banging and scoring with both intelligence and determination. That's why he ranks among the top five players in Europe, culminating with him being named to the All-Euroleague team.

How this translates to the NBA: His Spanish teammate, a Brazilian named Tiago Splitter, is not as good right now, and Splitter will be an NBA lottery pick.

So why not add lottery talent to a locker room that needs it? Why not sub Scola when Duncan sits, and sometimes combine them to punish some teams inside?

The Spurs would do it today for Ginobili's old salary. But after what Ginobili has done, after everyone fully understands what the European leagues can produce, the price will be up to as much as $4million a year. That's a lot to pay someone who might not get many minutes.

So the Spurs hesitate on the kind of talent that changed them in 2002.

Why?

It's clear whom to blame.

Phenomanul
05-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Trade Scola's Rights and Nazr for Nocioni...

Nocioni is every bit as 'Manu-like' as Scola... but this guy can rebound and also spread the floor....

strangeweather
05-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Trade Scola's Rights and Nazr for Nocioni...

Nocioni is every bit as 'Manu-like' as Scola... but this guy can rebound and also spread the floor....

And he's only slightly more available than D-Wade.

doldrums
05-24-2006, 11:55 AM
nocioni's value is too high, they can get a lot more than you mentioned. He was Chicago's best player in the playoffs and the city loves him.

Dartherus
05-24-2006, 12:45 PM
nocioni's value is too high, they can get a lot more than you mentioned. He was Chicago's best player in the playoffs and the city loves him.
Reposting the info, remember the 'predictions' about Nocion i performance in the NBA, before his arrival?

FYI. In Tau Ceramica, Scola and Nocioni were team-mates, and despite Scola being ONE YEAR YOUNGER, he was CLEARLY AHEAD NOCIONI in performance, leaderships and Basketball IQ....very clearly......And Scola defense is pretty improved, he can guard any kind of big Guy, this year in Euroleague he has guarded players with great footwork without problems.

If you remember Nocioni and Manu cases, you should be aware that Scola has a pretty chance of making an impact in NBA, Oberto wasn't in the same league as Manu or Nocioni in Europe, he was clearly past his prime, so his case can't be applied to Scola.

Phenomanul
05-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Reposting the info, remember the 'predictions' about Nocion i performance in the NBA, before his arrival?

FYI. In Tau Ceramica, Scola and Nocioni were team-mates, and despite Scola being ONE YEAR YOUNGER, he was CLEARLY AHEAD NOCIONI in performance, leaderships and Basketball IQ....very clearly......And Scola defense is pretty improved, he can guard any kind of big Guy, this year in Euroleague he has guarded players with great footwork without problems.

If you remember Nocioni and Manu cases, you should be aware that Scola has a pretty chance of making an impact in NBA, Oberto wasn't in the same league as Manu or Nocioni in Europe, he was clearly past his prime, so his case can't be applied to Scola.

The way I see it Scola is every bit as good as Nocioni and vice versa.... Nocioni, however would fit the needs of the team much better than Scola could since Scola and Duncan basically play the same position, while Nocioni plays SF.

Nocioni's value is based off of his monstruous performance in this years playoffs... fair enough... He is a proven NBA player... I don't doubt Scola could be any less effective since he plays with a similar fire....

zeleni
05-24-2006, 02:57 PM

Now here we disagree.
1.Nocioni was praised highly while Scola was just an athletic forward who liked to dunk. In TAU was Oberto the player everybody was praising.
Scola improved each year, but Oberto had the skills to run the team all those years.

2.When Oberto left for Pamesa, Scola became a quality core. Scola is more athletic, coaching staff wanted a quick jump to NBA up-tempo game, and chosen Scola to be the go-to guy. There was nothing quite clearly saying Scola is superior to anyone in anything. He is still one who is respected as the greatest runner-up in Europe... now that CSKA has finaly won a Final4.

Dartherus
05-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Now here we disagree.
1.Nocioni was praised highly while Scola was just an athletic forward who liked to dunk. In TAU was Oberto the player everybody was praising.
Scola improved each year, but Oberto had the skills to run the team all those years.

2.When Oberto left for Pamesa, Scola became a quality core. Scola is more athletic, coaching staff wanted a quick jump to NBA up-tempo game, and chosen Scola to be the go-to guy. There was nothing quite clearly saying Scola is superior to anyone in anything. He is still one who is respected as the greatest runner-up in Europe... now that CSKA has finaly won a Final4.

I don't think you know Tau Ceramica Baskonia situation better than me
Scola was already CEARLY AHEAD of Nocioni the year before Nocioni went into NBA, in the King's cup he got the MVP stolen by a spanish player, Rudy Fernandez, depite Tau won the Cup over Fernandez's team DKV Joventut, and depite Scola almost doubled efficiency average over Rudy (almost 29 to 18), and despite Scola scored 6 pts in the final 2 minutes and Rudy disappeared in the hot moments...it was a pathetic show of Chauvinism...the gratest robbery I've seen in my life, wether directly or in TV.

Nocioni was the first denouncing the robbery of the MVP to Scola.

Then Nocioni was named MVP of the regulkar season that year, and again, Nocioni said that Scola deserved better than him...Tau ceramica fans saw it clearly also...

And all this it wasn't only about stats (scola stats where clearly the best of the team), Scola was already the captain of the team back then, and the leader in hot moments. If you wish, I can search for the exact stats, but any spanish fan will acknowledge this.

You also have another championship that perhaps US fans followed in TV, THE OLYMPICS, wasn't Scola clearly ahead of Nocioni then also? Did you notice that he was about to get the MVP who finally went to Ginobili, after scoring 25 pts and 11 rebounds in the Title game? and having a great performance the whole tournament?

And even in the 2002 World championship? wasn't scola the second guy there already back then? Wasn't Scola ahead of Nocioni in BOTH tournaments?

About Oberto, the year he left, Scola was still a player in progress, and Ivanovic 8the coach them) preferred veterans like Oberto or Tomasevic, and with that situation, Scola stats/minute where clearly superior to the 2 'stars' of then.

Now oberto is clearly past his prime, while Scola seems to be about to reach it. Do you think they are in similar situation?

zeleni
05-24-2006, 07:27 PM
I don't think you know Tau Ceramica Baskonia situation better than me
Scola was already CEARLY AHEAD of Nocioni the year before Nocioni went into NBA, in the King's cup he got the MVP stolen by a spanish player, Rudy Fernandez, depite Tau won the Cup over Fernandez's team DKV Joventut, and depite Scola almost doubled efficiency average over Rudy (almost 29 to 18), and despite Scola scored 6 pts in the final 2 minutes and Rudy disappeared in the hot moments...it was a pathetic show of Chauvinism...the gratest robbery I've seen in my life, wether directly or in TV.

Nocioni was the first denouncing the robbery of the MVP to Scola.

Then Nocioni was named MVP of the regulkar season that year, and again, Nocioni said that Scola deserved better than him...Tau ceramica fans saw it clearly also...

And all this it wasn't only about stats (scola stats where clearly the best of the team), Scola was already the captain of the team back then, and the leader in hot moments. If you wish, I can search for the exact stats, but any spanish fan will acknowledge this.

You also have another championship that perhaps US fans followed in TV, THE OLYMPICS, wasn't Scola clearly ahead of Nocioni then also? Did you notice that he was about to get the MVP who finally went to Ginobili, after scoring 25 pts and 11 rebounds in the Title game? and having a great performance the whole tournament?

And even in the 2002 World championship? wasn't scola the second guy there already back then? Wasn't Scola ahead of Nocioni in BOTH tournaments?

About Oberto, the year he left, Scola was still a player in progress, and Ivanovic 8the coach them) preferred veterans like Oberto or Tomasevic, and with that situation, Scola stats/minute where clearly superior to the 2 'stars' of then.

Now oberto is clearly past his prime, while Scola seems to be about to reach it. Do you think they are in similar situation?

Thats just too much words.

I am just saying Oberto and Nocioni were Argentinian pillars for uprising of Scola. Without them Scola will still be... a forward who likes to dunk. That can be said even on that robbery you are talking about. Dominating with a big body and good assist.

Scola improved... but not on team success. They are a sure second runner-up on everything.

MannyIsGod
05-24-2006, 07:33 PM
How good is Scola 14-18 ft from the basket?

ducks
05-24-2006, 07:37 PM
How good is Scola 14-18 ft from the basket?
I'm not sure

I agree with this but trust the Spurs coaching staff to make the right decision. Scola's big weakness is a weak jump shot and Spurs already have a full time shooting coach with Chip. Who knows what he could do? The post up game won't go away. He plays decent perimeter defense from what I habe seen and is a hustler/rebounder. New NBA rules on the perimeter are closer to FIBA rules and the transition shouldn't be as tough. He could be a huge mismatch for a lot of teams like Bonzi Wells was in the Sacrasmento series.

that is from the article
also rebounding has been a problem in the past and rc got on him about that

MannyIsGod
05-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Man, if he can't shoot a 15 foot jumper it will be really hard for him to play next to Duncan.

wildbill2u
05-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Our problem is not having people who can spread the floor --we thought we had the best shooters and drivers in the league to do that.

Our problem was having people who can defend against another team that spreads the floor and shot better than our guys while out-defending and out-rebounding with amazing physical ability.

Now you can argue that Pop played into their strength, but how are you going to beat a team when you shoot 53% and they shoot 75% including 71% on 3s?

Knoxville Spur
05-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Can Scola guard Nowitzki? That may be the $million question.

Sway
05-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Until recently I was for trading away Scola’s rights, but the series with the Mavs has changed my mind. I thought Scola was obsolete due to playing the same position as Duncan. But, what if the Spurs played them together in a 2 PF rotation? Scola could allow us to play Spurs ball against the Mavs. He would provide rebounding, hustle, and take it to Dirk on the offensive end. His rebounding alone would be worth giving him a shot. Yeah I know Dirk would light him up for 45pts but is that really that much different from the 40pts we gave him this year. This of course is only possible if Scola lives up to all the hype.