PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Mohammed or Nesterovic likely to exit

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Spurs' offseason begins: Mohammed or Nesterovic likely to exit

Web Posted: 05/24/2006 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052406.1C.BKNspurs.main.17874593.html

Gregg Popovich leaned against the wall just outside his office at the AT&T Center and smiled. Though the Spurs and Dallas Mavericks were an hour away from meeting in Monday's seventh and decisive game, he already had seen enough to be impressed.

Never had Popovich been involved in a playoff series where the margin between victory and defeat was so thin and the competitiveness so fierce.

"Whoever loses," Popovich said, "will still feel like they have a hell of a basketball team, that's for sure."

A day later, the Spurs' championship reign having ended beneath the frustration of a Game 7 loss, Popovich felt the same. Even more so after watching his team erase a 20-point deficit before fading in overtime.

"We're a hell of a basketball team, and Dallas is a hell of a basketball team," Popovich said. "They get to go forward this year. But I've never been more proud of a team and the way they competed."

In that sense, Popovich is glad the Spurs don't need to change their core this summer. Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are returning and — judging from the 32.3 points Duncan averaged in the Western Conference semifinals — all appear to be near their prime or, in Parker's case, approaching it.

The Spurs also figure to surround their three stars with more than a few familiar faces. Of the 14 players on the team's roster, only four are free agents: Nazr Mohammed, Nick Van Exel, Sean Marks and Melvin Sanders.

Van Exel is retiring, and there's a good chance Mohammed, who turned down a contract extension before the season and played sparingly in the playoffs, also won't be back. If the Spurs do re-sign Mohammed, then Rasho Nesterovic probably would be traded. Investing $14 million in two centers in the league's small-ball era is unlikely.

"We have to figure out what we want to do, as far as bigs are concerned," Popovich said. "Do we want (power forwards) or do we want (centers)? How small do we want to play, or how big do we want to play? Do we want to try to be big, even if somebody else is small?"

The NBA free-agent pool this summer isn't deep compared to other years, and the Spurs don't have a first-round pick in next month's draft. But they will explore signing two previous selections: Argentine forward Luis Scola and Lithuanian forward/center Robertas Javtokas.

Depending on how much of the Spurs' $5.1 million midlevel exception Scola seeks — the team also has a $1.75 million exception available — Javtokas might be more cost effective. Trading Scola's rights or working a sign-and-trade deal with Mohammed are other options.

The Spurs nearly traded Brent Barry midway through the season, and they still would like to get younger and more athletic on the perimeter. Sooner rather than later, they need to start grooming someone to succeed Bruce Bowen.

Popovich, however, isn't ready to declare the team eligible for AARP benefits just yet. Versatility, he said, is almost as important as athleticism.

"I listen to how athletic Dallas was and how we couldn't handle it, and it just makes me smile," Popovich said. "If you win, there's all kinds of things you did well. If you lose, there's got to be reasons why you lost.

"So if they're more athletic, I need to figure out how much more to win by a point. How much more athletic is that?"

Robert Horry, who declared himself a "dinosaur" a week ago after watching the Mavericks zip by him, told his teammates during Tuesday's season-ending meeting they could help themselves by arriving at training camp in shape.

"For a guy who's been around the block a long time to say he's going to get himself physically ready to compete next year means a lot," Michael Finley said. "Hopefully, everybody took that to heart and that's our motto going into the summer."

The Spurs expect to have six players compete in this summer's World Championships, including three starters. Duncan, however, isn't among them. He will rest his right foot, even though it didn't seem to trouble him much, if at all, during the playoffs.

"I think what Timmy will probably do, No. 1, is continue with a regimen about what he puts in his body," Popovich said. "His body was the trimmest it's ever been. He'll do what he has to do to stay in shape but not aggravate the foot."

Duncan's renaissance — "He's unbelievable and unguardable," Dirk Nowitzki said after watching him score 41 points Monday — gives the Spurs optimism for next season. So does the development of Parker, whose next step, Popovich said, is to improve his decision-making and sharpen his leadership.

The Spurs' first concern is making sure Ginobili doesn't dwell on Monday's loss. After giving the Spurs a 104-101 lead on a 3-pointer with 32.2 seconds left in the fourth quarter, he helped Dallas tie the game by fouling Nowitzki on a layup.

"We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world.

"There's nobody that's a better competitor. I'd jump in a fox hole with him or go anywhere he wanted to go any time."

Ginobili naturally hopes to take the Spurs back to the top. Being eliminated by their biggest rival in a series where two losses came in overtime and another was by a single point adds to the motivation.

"When I first came here, coach preached about how other teams have that circumstantial fuel," Finley said. "Like a Detroit, being beat by San Antonio last year; by Dallas not being able to overcome San Antonio over the years.

"Now we have that circumstantial fuel."

Bowen thought the sting the Spurs felt from Derek Fisher's .4 shot two years ago — a shot that led to the end of their previous reign — was worse than that from Monday's loss.

"Maybe it's Dallas' year," Parker said. "I don't know."

As for the notion the Spurs have passed the torch to the Mavericks? Bowen shook his head.

"I don't think," he said, "we're old and decrepit quite yet."

Leeroy
05-24-2006, 12:44 AM
boy, i think losing both would be a big call but maybe a necesity, getting someone that is more cost effective and out to earn themself a paycheck in the future might be a good kickstart for the team next season.

the reliance on the center position really is a dying trade, get someone that can crash the boards and get out of tim's way when they need to and im sure we will all be happy

conneaut615
05-24-2006, 12:46 AM
I heard that Mohammed exited the AT&T Center at breakneck speed Monday night - came up and out of the tunnel really fast and everyone pretty much just had to get out of his way.

TDMVPDPOY
05-24-2006, 12:46 AM
i really wanna see duncan play in his prime, but thats if pop changes the offensive system back to td as the first option, gino second.

i dont think any team in the league would want tp :(:( wouldnt mind chris paul+howard wake forest argentina spurs :D

sghspurs
05-24-2006, 12:47 AM
That article makes me feel better. I'm ready for next year!!!!!

2centsworth
05-24-2006, 12:47 AM
Nazr is gone because there is no way to unload Rasho.

velik_m
05-24-2006, 12:49 AM
i say they are both gone, but spurs will probably wait with Rasho till after the WC, in hope that Rasho will increase his trade value playing for slovenian NT.

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 12:50 AM
I heard that Mohammed exited the AT&T Center at breakneck speed Monday night - came up and out of the tunnel really fast and everyone pretty much just had to get out of his way.

He did a couple postgame interviews in the locker room and I saw him in the hallway talking with other players well after the game.

Despot
05-24-2006, 12:54 AM
I hope we have a rock solid plan if we lose either of them. As much as I complain about them, there does not seem to be many available options that are much better. But considering that we are a team that is built for the playoffs (win or lose), and the fact that they averaged 30 seconds each in the playoffs, they might both be gone. I can't see any other way to justify them being here other than them helping us win 60 games in the regular season.

P.S.
Can't say I've seen Angel_Luv round here lately.

~Sweetmelody~
05-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Mohammed should be the first to go.

infinite styles
05-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Duncan just might be the Center for the Spurs if the evolution of the game continues the way it is. PF's may serve more servicable next year and with Shaq playing in his later years the need for a big rock in the middle of the lane won't be the priority anymore. I do believe that defense wins the chip but defenders are getting shorter and more athletic so now might be the time to look at that. One true center on the team with a smaller contract will still be needed but not the way it used to be. I would love to see a rebounding 3 in a S. Marion form. I still hope to see James White from Cincy in a Spurs uniform to go along with the likes of J.R. Smith and a serviceble PF to keep up with Dirk.

Despot
05-24-2006, 01:13 AM
Can someone enlighten me? I am not very proficient in free agency, so cut me some slack if I am totally off.

I have seen several posts about trying to deal Nazr in a sign and trade, my understanding is that he is a free agent, and we do not own his bird rights. So what motivation does Nazr have, and what leverage do we have to try to get that to happen? Is it even possible?

Leeroy
05-24-2006, 02:12 AM
going another direction, if van exel does retire and the spurs can manage to get a backup PG, do you cut your losses and ship beno to try get some value back or do you hang onto him as IL fodder in case of injury?

personally i'd be inclined to move him. if worst comes to worst and we need a PG there are always FA's out there that can be signed, especially if we get a backup that can play and be effective for a good amount of mins

Slomo
05-24-2006, 04:19 AM
Nazr is gone because there is no way to unload Rasho.Nazr is gone because he SUCKS!!!!!!!!

It doesn't mean Rasho will stay, but if I had to keep one, it would not be Nazr!

No F...g way!!!!

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 04:22 AM
Can someone enlighten me? I am not very proficient in free agency, so cut me some slack if I am totally off.

I have seen several posts about trying to deal Nazr in a sign and trade, my understanding is that he is a free agent, and we do not own his bird rights. So what motivation does Nazr have, and what leverage do we have to try to get that to happen? Is it even possible?

Sign and trade would be good for Nazr because that way he could have a longer contract with higher raises. If he's signed by the Spurs (or signandtraded by the Spurs) then he can sign up to a 6 year deal/10.5% raises. If he's signed outright as a free agent by another team, then he can sign 5 year/8% raises. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I understand it)

intlspurshk
05-24-2006, 04:29 AM
^^^ Who will pay that amount to Nazr? Sign and trade mean SPURS need to take back a suck contract. I don't want to see another Steve Smith anymore.

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 04:31 AM
^^^ Who will pay that amount to Nazr? Sign and trade mean SPURS need to take back a suck contract. I don't want to see another Steve Smith anymore.

I can't even think of any team that will be interested in Nazr. So I'm not sure. :lol

Please_dont_ban_me
05-24-2006, 04:34 AM
Who would trade for Rasho?

PM5K
05-24-2006, 05:21 AM
One of them has to go, Nazr seems the more obvious because he's a free agent, but if we can sign and trade him for a good power forward that would be ideal.

Follow that trade up with the Brent Barry trade we tried earlier this season and we'll have a good start...

Please_dont_ban_me
05-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Barry came to life this postseason.

I still wouldn't mind seeing him go though. Assuming we get a JR Smith type player.

Bruno
05-24-2006, 05:59 AM
We should keep none.
Nazr can't learn how to defend.
Rasho can be usefull but only against a limited number of players, but nba is a business and money isn't unlimited. A $7M/year we can get a player way more usefull than Rasho. If we can do a deal with rasho that isn't too bad, we should do it.

polandprzem
05-24-2006, 07:15 AM
The question is: How is spurs system and play will look like next season.
Who is gonna play for the spurs? Beno's minutes and what string?
Tough questions to answer and then try to make the answers happen in the offseason. Maybe the best solution will be giving up Nazr for a high pick? I don't know.

"I listen to how athletic Dallas was and how we couldn't handle it, and it just makes me smile," Popovich said. "If you win, there's all kinds of things you did well. If you lose, there's got to be reasons why you lost.

"So if they're more athletic, I need to figure out how much more to win by a point. How much more athletic is that?"
It is true with this winning and losing. But Pop you have to admitt that the athleticism was what killed you. IF the spurs won you would overcome that athleticism and that's a big accomplishement.
How much more athletic was a Sacto team?

ploto
05-24-2006, 07:15 AM
I'm sure you realize your title is a little misleading. The article implies that Nazr is the most likely one to be gone.

there's a good chance Mohammed, who turned down a contract extension before the season and played sparingly in the playoffs, also won't be back.

He mentions trading Rasho if Nazr does re-sign because the Spurs won't invest that much in both of them. I thought his number was interesting. Is he assuming someone will play Nazr $7M?

You still need smeone who can play in a traditional center spot because Tim will never do it full-time. While people figure Rasho makes too much for that role, he is needed against certain teams and very useful against more than people realize. I think he is the more likely to be kept because he is the only one who fills a certain role that does need to be filled on this team. Nazr, on the other hand is replaceable for the most part by Robertas- who can rebound, block shots, and bang inside.

Question: If Miami wins the title are people more inclined to think we need to keep Rasho??

SPARKY
05-24-2006, 07:16 AM
Not much new in the article. I had forgotten that they had the $1.75 mil exception. That should come in handy.

Reading between the lines, I think Javtokas will be a Spur and Scola's rights will be traded. They can probably sign Javtokas using the $1.75 mil exception while Scola would have to get a healthy chunk of the MLE to make up for his buyout. If they move Scola they'll likely end up with a draft pick, which would be nice considering that they had given up two of their 1st rounders between last year and this one in the Mohammed trade.

Then they can use the MLE to split between a backup point and a small forward.

Maybe they can move Barry for Smith again and work out a S&T involving Mohammed to get back someone and/or something of value.

I think it's likely that Mahinmi will spend one more season in Europe. Sanikidze is a wild card, though if he joins the Spurs next season he will likely spend his first season on IR.

ploto
05-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Reading between the lines, I think Javtokas will be a Spur and Scola's rights will be traded. They can probably sign Javtokas using the $1.75 mil exception while Scola would have to get a healthy chunk of the MLE to make up for his buyout.
That seems to be the gist. NVE gone-- Nazr gone-- Scola's rights traded- Robertas here. I mentioned giving Robertas the LLE a few days ago. :)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-24-2006, 07:59 AM
That article makes me feel better about this loss, and excited for next year...I think the reliance of a TRUE center isn't so much of a necessity, we just need a defensive athletic rebounding center/power foward/small forward ala Ben Wallace, Nocioni type players..

I would have liked to see Scola suit up but I guess it's not gonna happen due to the costs...if Nocioni and Manu have proven anything, Scola's hustle would provide even more energy just instead at an "inside" presence. Not so sure about the Javtokas guy...

I'm worried that we may be betting on the wrong horse, and we'll be forced to face the wrath of Scola, 2 years into the league-- while we're stuck with another mediocre center.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2006, 08:02 AM
"We have to figure out what we want to do, as far as bigs are concerned," Popovich said. "Do we want (power forwards) or do we want (centers)? How small do we want to play, or how big do we want to play? Do we want to try to be big, even if somebody else is small?"

If he commits to small ball the Spurs will never win another title.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-24-2006, 08:07 AM

I don't think you have to "commit" to it as much as you have to abe to "go to it" when necessary.

leemajors
05-24-2006, 08:09 AM

i don't think pop would be willing to permanently compromise his defensive schemes. i think he would like to have another player or two to go that way for a series if he has to though.

ploto
05-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Versatility, he said, is almost as important as athleticism.
This is why I think the Spurs will sit down and list all the roles they think a team has to fill to be versatile and try to figure out who fits into which spots and which need to be filled.

Bruno
05-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Question: If Miami wins the title are people more inclined to think we need to keep Rasho??

Shaq is old, just look at what he has done this year. Chicago with a skinny PF (Chandler) and with a fat undersized PF (Sweetney) has done a good job on him. Nets has done a good job on him with only Jason Collins. For the first game against Detroit, Wallaces˛ weren't in foul trouble and Shaq has been very average. And next year, Shaq will be one year older (35).

The best reason to keep Rasho is Yao not Shaq and Houston is in the WCF.

Now, I think that Duncan can play center 90% of the time and Rasho need to be traded. He is too expensive given his playtime. Javtokas + a cheap vet like Cato or Pollard is enough against Yao or Shaq.

ploto
05-24-2006, 08:31 AM
I continue to assure you that Tim Duncan will not play center 90% of the time.

I agree about Yao being the more important consideration- but I asked about Shaq because everyone insisted we had to keep Nazr because of Detroit. I wondered if the same principles applied for Miami??

ducks
05-24-2006, 08:36 AM
spurs are already worried about manu's state of mind. That worries me. Manu it is not your fault. I think posters need to go to his forum and make sure fans do not blame him. If he can not get over it by next season you have to trade him.

spurster
05-24-2006, 08:40 AM
The Spurs were built to challenge conventional elite teams, e.g., the Stockton/Malone Jazz, the Kobe/Shaq Lakers, the current Pistons and Heat. Now you have the Mavs (and the Suns if Amare comes back) who are going to spread out the floor with shooters and slashers and make any two towers lineup scramble.

I think you keep Rasho for conventional lineups, but you want an athletic tweener shooter for the "small ball" lineups. Or you need a bigman better than Rasho who can make them pay on the offensive end. Malik, at least the Malik of 3 to 5 years ago, would have been a better fit, though not so much for the shooting part of it. Maybe Scola would work out here.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-24-2006, 08:41 AM
spurs are already worried about manu's state of mind. That worries me. Manu it is not your fault. I think posters need to go to his forum and make sure fans do not blame him. If he can not get over it by next season you have to trade him.

I was thinking about that.

What if this turns into the second coming of Nick Anderson?

ducks
05-24-2006, 08:43 AM

spurs showed signs of d with small by if that is what they are going to do more then their d on that will improve

atleast pop is willing to adjust if needed
get a new piece that would help you with small ball and the spurs would have beaten the mavs even though dirk is having his best year ever

ducks
05-24-2006, 08:44 AM
I was thinking about that.

What if this turns into the second coming of Nick Anderson?

thank for speaking up now I am not the only one
:fro

1Parker1
05-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Does anyone think Spurs should keep Brent Barry??

SenorSpur
05-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Sign and trade would be good for Nazr because that way he could have a longer contract with higher raises. If he's signed by the Spurs (or signandtraded by the Spurs) then he can sign up to a 6 year deal/10.5% raises. If he's signed outright as a free agent by another team, then he can sign 5 year/8% raises. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I understand it)

This is a long shot, but perhaps the Spurs can work a S&T for Mohammed with Chicago in return for either a young player (Deng or Nocioni) or perhaps even the Bulls #1 draft pick (#2 pick overall) in this year's NBA Draft. Of course, they have Scola's rights as a potential tradeable asset to sweeten the deal.

Despot
05-24-2006, 09:45 AM

But from what I understand, we can only offer him more years and higher raises if we own his bird rights, and my understanding is that we do not own Nazr's bird rights.

SenorSpur
05-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Does anyone think Spurs should keep Brent Barry??

Hell no! Barry is a relatively smart player, but he is a p***y. The Spurs should revisit that failed trade with the Hornets for J.R. Smith. Get that done immediately!

PM5K
05-24-2006, 09:53 AM
As far as Barry:

If one of our goals is to get more athletic then I think trading Barry for JR Smith would be a good move, we'd get more athletic and younger, while still having the experience with Michael Finley, whom I think was much more able to fit into the Spurs system and into a more limited role.

And since we are throwing things out there, I'd love to see Rasho and Nazr gone and sign Joel Przybilla but I don't see that happening...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-24-2006, 10:10 AM
thank for speaking up now I am not the only one
:fro
I don't think he'll dwell on it...If you look at the Kings turnover. He forgot all about that in the Mavs series and willed games 5, 6.As always when we really needed him.

You can't keep a great competitor down. If Manu knows what's good for him, he'll just let it fuel his motivation to not be in that position again and try not to ensure we keep good leads. The problem is also having games down to 1 and 2 point margins. That's the Spurs org.'s job not Manu's he did all he could.

Anyway, you still have a valid reason for concern. Manu's human after all, it would suck if he actually let's feelings of self-doubt get the best of him.

I think him playing with some of his Argentinean teammates this summer-- as well as healing up and conditioning-- will do him a lot of good in finding that consistent rhythm again like in 05.

genghisrex
05-24-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm sure you realize your title is a little misleading. The article implies that Nazr is the most likely one to be gone.
It's Ludden's title so I guess you better take it up with him. :rolleyes

FromWayDowntown
05-24-2006, 10:24 AM
I suspect there will be some outside of the box thinking going on with the front office this summer. I don't read Pop as saying that he's going to go real small -- I think what he's saying is they couldn't do much from an athletic standpoint with a roster stocked with center types. I still think that one thing that may be coming down the road is a pairing of Duncan with another PF, rather than a center. If you have another athletic PF (a guy whose skill set and size are in similar to maybe Udonis Haslem or Rasheed Wallace), you can stay big against Dallas or Phoenix and still matchup relatively well.

I can't imagine the plan is to become Team Swingman over the summer.

clubalien
05-24-2006, 10:32 AM
This is telling because it predicts tim duncan might become a center. once again pop wants' to adapt our style to others insted of getting ian or joneal and forcing smaller teams to adjust to us.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-24-2006, 10:43 AM
I have no prblem losing both Nazr and Rasho, but who the hell would replace them?

Isn't Scola an undersized PF? We would have no centers except damn Oberto

I hope some like Tyson Chandler or Harrington end up in SA

SPARKY
05-24-2006, 10:45 AM
The Spurs have Mohammed's Bird Rights.

ducks
05-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't think he'll dwell on it...If you look at the Kings turnover. He forgot all about that in the Mavs series and willed games 5, 6.As always when we really needed him.

You can't keep a great competitor down. If Manu knows what's good for him, he'll just let it fuel his motivation to not be in that position again and try not to ensure we keep good leads. The problem is also having games down to 1 and 2 point margins. That's the Spurs org.'s job not Manu's he did all he could.

Anyway, you still have a valid reason for concern. Manu's human after all, it would suck if he actually let's feelings of self-doubt get the best of him.

I think him playing with some of his Argentinean teammates this summer-- as well as healing up and conditioning-- will do him a lot of good in finding that consistent rhythm again like in 05.

I forgot about that
that should help besides that league is watered down from the nba.
he should be the best player on the court over there and get his condfidence back

strangeweather
05-24-2006, 11:04 AM
I have no prblem losing both Nazr and Rasho, but who the hell would replace them?

Isn't Scola an undersized PF? We would have no centers except damn Oberto

Well, Javtokas is a center as well, if he's brought in. Still, unless we land a starting PF and Duncan consents to move to C, Javtokas and Oberto are not exactly the most confidence-inspiring center rotation we could have.

DDS4
05-24-2006, 11:19 AM
I think Nazr leaving is a foregone conclusion.

As far as Rasho, I think his "bloated" contract is a relative bargain at today's prices. Players like Adonyl Foyle, Dalembert, and Dampier make much more for about the same production. So shopping him around won't be as hard as everyone thinks.

baseline bum
05-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Javtokas has never shown me anything impressive, and I doubt he'd ever be more than IR material for this team. If I have to choose between Mohammed and Nesteroich, I choose Rasho for two reasons:

1) Mohammed should have some trade value, and could land us a rotation SF or PG without having to go into our exceptions
2) Nesterovich matches up very well with the one center we have to care about in the West.... Yao Ming. Giving him up without getting a defensive big will be suicide for the future when the Rockets finally get their act together.

I kind of doubt the Spurs will use both of their exceptions if they can work a sign & trade for Nazr, but one can hope.

Rasual Butler could be a good option with the lower exception. He'd finally give the Spurs a second SF worthy of floor time, he has 3-point range, and he's 27. I'm pretty convinced it will take the full MLE to bring Scola in, considering his buyout is $3.5 million. I'd like to give him a shot in SA before running to move this guy just because we already have Tim. I'm not sure his trade value is going to be all that high right now anyways, and I doubt the Spurs would get fair value in exchange for him.

boutons_
05-24-2006, 01:07 PM
"we have to care about in the West.... Yao Ming"

Rasho isn't gettting any better, but Yao certainly is.
Rasho on Yao will become less effective.

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 01:37 PM

As far as Rasho, I think his "bloated" contract is a relative bargain at today's prices. Players like Adonyl Foyle, Dalembert, and Dampier make much more for about the same production. So shopping him around won't be as hard as everyone thinks.

Well they shopped Rasho for anything and everything this past year. Even for Tariq Abdul-Wahad's contract, who isn't even in the league. No deal.

Despot
05-24-2006, 01:59 PM

Right or wrong, there is a stigma attached to Rasho. What sets him apart is that he is seen as soft, and there is a belief that it is very hard to motivate him.

jn77
05-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Let Rasho and Naz go. They didn't do much durrinng the regular season and were almost non existant in the playoffs. I agree with getting a good athletic backup PF. I don't agree with trading Brett Barry just yet. Brett may be older, but he is smart. He sees the court as well as anyone in the leauge and the white boy can still dunk! Keep him around and have him back up Finley, who I believe should be a starter next year.

velik_m
05-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Let Rasho and Naz go. They didn't do much durrinng the regular season and were almost non existant in the playoffs. I agree with getting a good athletic backup PF. I don't agree with trading Brett Barry just yet. Brett may be older, but he is smart. He sees the court as well as anyone in the leauge and the white boy can still dunk! Keep him around and have him back up Finley, who I believe should be a starter next year.

So a starting lineup: Duncan/Bowen/Finley/Manu/Parker?

Despot
05-24-2006, 03:01 PM
If we do happen to keep Nazr, We need to lock him up in the ATT Center basement with the Spurs playbooks until October.

boutons_
05-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Nazr is hopeless, no big man fundamentals after a career of playing as big man, no hands, no basketball IQ, no defense, soft.

Rasho is under contract to the Spurs, no way "to let him go". Spurs don't want him, nobody else wants him, either. However, I do think he would put up at least his 02/03 Wolves numbers again if he found the right fit.

Tom_Foolery
05-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Nazr is gone because there is no GM stupid enough to trade for Rasho's contract. You'd have to be not only an idiot, but purposely trying to get fired to trade for Rasho.

baseline bum
05-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Nazr is gone because there is no GM stupid enough to trade for Rasho's contract. You'd have to be not only an idiot, but purposely trying to get fired to trade for Rasho.

Didn't Isiah want Rasho and we gave him Malik instead? :(

Bruno
05-24-2006, 03:33 PM

I wouldn't say that. Rasho is still a legit center and you have few centers on the market and some teams without a center.

A team like Bulls haven't a center and I'm not sure they will turn down Rasho+Scola for a trade exception (Bulls are under the cap).

Between :
- Rasho for $23.5M/3 year + draft rights to the best PF in Europe.
- Signing an average center like Nazr for $30M/5 year.
I'm not sure that the Rasho choice is the worse.

And then Spurs can use the TE + a first round pick to S&T a player like Al Harrington. (I like this guy)

angel_luv
05-24-2006, 03:49 PM
I
P.S.
Can't say I've seen Angel_Luv round here lately.

Here I be! :)

Keep the Sho! :tu :tu :D

abelle23
05-24-2006, 04:02 PM

yeah ducks ..it all boils down to trading manu...typical...

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-24-2006, 04:13 PM
We should trade Rasho for Malik

both their contracts are big and way too much, but at least we get someone who can see playing time in the postseason

Extra Stout
05-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Nazr's departure is a foregone conclusion.

Rasho could be useful in certain matchups, but at $7.3 million, if the Spurs can dump him for an expiring contract, they will.

Obviously what the Spurs need up front is somebody who is tall enough to defend the post but athletic enough to keep up with a Dirk. The guys the Spurs have now are the traditional lumbering big men. When teams had to match up with Shaq, bulk mattered up front, not athleticism. Now that teams have to match up with Dirk and Amare, athleticism is key. The Spurs no longer are built correctly.

Javtokas is an experiment at best. Before the motorcycle accident, he was an athletic freak that with development could have fit the bill perfectly. Now... not so much. His upside is more like Oberto.

Mahmini would be ideal, but he's a couple of years from being ready.

Ideally the Spurs could come up with one guy a la Boris Diaw who could play the 3, 4, and 5 and kill multiple birds with one stone. But that's not easy. They would have to find somebody on the fly.

Pop's off base with his dismissive notion that the Spurs need to get "one point" more athletic. They stuck in there with the Mavs on the strength of playoff experience and championship savvy. Now that the Mavs have been through that series and experienced those kinds of situations, the Spurs' advantage in that area is nullified. Replay this series a year from now with the same kind of lineups, and Dallas wins in 5. AJ has molded them to beat the Spurs. The same old same old is obsolete now.

yavozerb
05-27-2006, 07:14 PM
If we trade rasho a way out would be for a player like austin croshere who will be getting payed 9 million, but only has 1 year left on the contract...Indiana could use another center also

boutons_
05-27-2006, 07:41 PM
"can see playing time in the postseason"

Malik already saw very little PT in his last Spurs post-season.