PDA

View Full Version : Kings To Ask Permission For Carlesimo Interview

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 01:29 AM
24th May, 2006 - 2:10 am

ESPN.com - The Kings have not formally requested permission to interview Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo for their head-coaching vacancy, but Kings co-owner Joe Maloof indicated Tuesday that the request is forthcoming after the Spurs' season ended Monday night.

"I think we'll probably end up talking to P.J.," Maloof said, "but Geoff is really handling all that."

Geoff is Geoff Petrie, Sacramento's president of basketball operations. Maloof declined to reveal any other names on the list of candidates Petrie has assembled but did say that he, brother Gavin and Petrie will begin conducting interviews Wednesday in Las Vegas.

NBA coaching sources told ESPN.com that Golden State assistant Mario Elie, Memphis assistant Eric Musselman -- formerly the Warriors' head coach -- and John Whisenant of the WNBA's Sacramento Monarchs are expected to meet with the Kings this week.

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 01:29 AM
PJ is the Las Vegas odds favorite to get the job.

timvp
05-24-2006, 01:30 AM
I hope PJ gets a job this summer. The Spurs need some new blood in the coaching circle. A lead assistant coach grows stale after a couple seasons.

T Park
05-24-2006, 01:32 AM
I doubt he gets a job.

It would be nice to get a new lead guy though I agree.

Some fresh ideas, and fresh offensive sets and other stuff would be cool.

RON ARTEST
05-24-2006, 01:41 AM
i hope the maloofs and petrie do it. i think he would be very good with this team.

milkyway21
05-24-2006, 02:41 AM
i will root for Sacramento other than the Spurs of course, if P.J. gets this job.

Go P.J.

Gummi
05-24-2006, 02:53 AM
I would be glad to have P.J. as our top assistant next season, but the Spurs can't refuse the Kings to talk to him and let him go if the Kings want him for the head coach position.

I think P.J. has done a great job with the Spurs and I hope he'll stay. The Spurs coaching staff has changed so often over the last two-three seasons so I want the staff to stay intact for next season.

efrem1
05-24-2006, 08:23 AM
There has been no buzz for PJ here on the SActo stations so far. Look for the Maloof's to look elsewhere.

unartested
05-24-2006, 08:31 AM
I would not be to suprised if he got the job, but the list is long..

Jimcs50
05-24-2006, 08:32 AM
I say, keep PJ, send Pop to Sacto.

CosmicCowboy
05-24-2006, 08:38 AM
If PJ (or Mario) got the job that would be 4 probable playoff teams next year whose coaches had mentored under Popovich...either as an assistant or a player...

unartested
05-24-2006, 08:39 AM
:spin :lol :spin

I am with you on that one...................LOL :smokin

KEDA
05-24-2006, 08:54 AM
sorry, I got to do this.....

hope P J dosent choke this one away!

sorry, I know, but I had to.

WalterBenitez
05-24-2006, 09:53 AM
It'll be great to defeat PJ's kings next summer or would it be like AJ experience?

NoMoneyDown
05-24-2006, 10:07 AM
How many Pop proteges would that be in the NBA now - three? (Brown, AJ, Carlisemo)

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-24-2006, 10:21 AM
It's too bad coaches can't be traded like players. I'd like to see John Whisenant as a Spurs assistant. He's a terrific defensive coach and has a good knowledge of the game.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-24-2006, 10:23 AM
How many Pop proteges would that be in the NBA now - three? (Brown, AJ, Carlisemo)

I don't look at PJ as a Pop protege. His coaching resume is longer than Pop's.

mabber
05-24-2006, 10:28 AM
If PJ (or Mario) got the job that would be 4 probable playoff teams next year whose coaches had mentored under Popovich...either as an assistant or a player...

And yet, a lot of the Spur fans want to get rid of Pop. I find that unbelievable as he's a great coach and an equally great guy (from what I can tell and from what Nellie always said about him-they are close friends).

conneaut615
05-24-2006, 10:43 AM

And possibly one of the most significant, yet overlooked, assistants who possibly contributed more to the defeat of the Spurs from a coaching standpoint than AJ - Joe Prunty.

mabber
05-24-2006, 10:47 AM
And possibly one of the most significant, yet overlooked, assistants who possibly contributed more to the defeat of the Spurs from a coaching standpoint than AJ - Joe Prunty.

Excellent point!

J.T.
05-24-2006, 11:00 AM
AJ's Spur factor has been revoked after the WCSF. He is not longer in any facet connected to or related to this team, let alone Pop. F AJ.

I say let PJ go to Sacto. And try and get Adelman as an assistant here, but I'm sure some other team will pursue Rick as HC. But you must admit Adelman and Pop would be a good combo while Pop reviews the 2005 WCF and re-learns how to correctly play the high scoring offense.

Mav Fans, don't you have some Phoenix boards to go troll on now. GTFO.

mabber
05-24-2006, 11:11 AM
AJ's Spur factor has been revoked after the WCSF. He is not longer in any facet connected to or related to this team, let alone Pop. F AJ.

I say let PJ go to Sacto. And try and get Adelman as an assistant here, but I'm sure some other team will pursue Rick as HC. But you must admit Adelman and Pop would be a good combo while Pop reviews the 2005 WCF and re-learns how to correctly play the high scoring offense.

Mav Fans, don't you have some Phoenix boards to go troll on now. GTFO.

Adelman would be excellent assistant to Pop. Pop's assistant needs to be a big time cry-baby (like PJ) so Pop doesn't have to cry to refs. Adelman is purdy good at that. Does PJ get tossed very often cuz he cries about every friggin call. I think that's the plan though so Pop won't get tossed.

Biggs
05-24-2006, 11:40 AM

I'm with this train of thought! :fro

TheSanityAnnex
05-24-2006, 12:49 PM
You my friend are an idiot. And I love your idea.

ata
05-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Sending PJ to Sacto would mean, that Sacto will eliminate Spurs next season.

Keep PJ, let unquestionable genius go.

RON ARTEST
05-24-2006, 02:32 PM
adelman would never take an assistant coaching job. plus hes taking a year off anyway.

unartested
05-24-2006, 02:38 PM

Dude know your own history here........ Pop is a protégé of Brown not vis :rolleyes versa..

In another first-round playoff series, the San Antonio Spurs play the Sacramento Kings. The Spurs -- the defending NBA champions -- are coached by Gregg Popovich. In 1988, Pop was hired as an assistant coach on Larry Brown’s staff with the Spurs. That was his first NBA job. Not only are Popovich and Brown great friends, but the Spurs start 40 percent of their starting lineup with players who started for Brown (Bruce Bowen and Nazr Mohammed).

But the last three (and four of the last seven) have been won by Brown or his coaching disciple, Popovich[/COLOR]]http://www.nba.com/encyclopedia/coaches/six_degrees_of_larry_brown.html (Only two head coaches have coached in and won more postseason games than Brown. Their names are Phil Jackson and Pat Riley. Jackson and Riley have combined to win 13 of the last 24 NBA championships. [COLOR=Red)

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 02:39 PM
He's talking about Mike Brown.

strangeweather
05-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Dude know your own history here........ Pop is a protégé of Brown no vis :rolleyes versa..

That would be Cleveland's Mike Brown, a former assistant to Pop in SA and Carlisle in Indy.

boutons_
05-24-2006, 02:48 PM
PJ couldn't be considered a protege of Pop. He already had extensive college and some pro coaching before the choking incident that left him an unemployed refugee and available to join Pop's staff. Pop mentoring PJ doesn't fit.

SpurYank
05-24-2006, 02:49 PM
So, according to you experts, PJ had more to do with the defeat of the Spurs. More than whom? I saw the same games you all did. The defeat of the Spurs was caused by several hot shooting Mavs and a ball that bounced the wrong way at opportune times. There is little to choose between these two teams. We don't need more athleticism nor speed. We need these same players to be in the best of shape, form, and mind.

We'll be okay. Michael Wilbon said it best about our team. " You knew they were coming back ... They are a team with honor and integrity."

And Pop leads the way. We will all regret the day he leaves.

MadDog73
05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
And Pop leads the way. We will all regret the day he leaves.

Word. How people can hate on a man who's won us three Championships and basically built the present team by keeping Tim and practically starting the foreign player investment craze.

To let Pop go would be the absolute worst thing the Spurs could ever do.

unartested
05-24-2006, 02:55 PM
:oops :oops My bad I thought he was refering to larry.... :spin

angel_luv
05-24-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm so torn. Coach Carlesimo most definitely deserves the job, but I selfishly want us to keep him!

Kori Ellis
05-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Now Mario Elie is interviewing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2457165

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The Sacramento Kings have received permission from the Golden State Warriors to interview Mario Elie for their head-coaching vacancy, according to NBA coaching sources.

Elie, who just completed his second season as a Warriors assistant to Mike Montgomery, is expected to meet with Kings co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof and Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie by week's end.

Joe Maloof told ESPN.com Tuesday that he was heading to Las Vegas to join his brother and Petrie to conduct multiple interviews this week, as the Kings intensify their search to replace Rick Adelman.

Memphis assistant Eric Musselman interviewed with the Kings on Wednesday.

Maloof also said Tuesday that the Kings are planning to request permission to speak with San Antonio assistant P.J. Carlesimo.

Carlesimo hasn't been an NBA head coach since a Golden State tenure (1997-99) most remembered for the Latrell Sprewell choking incident. Yet he quickly surfaced as a potential Adelman replacement, with the Maloofs known to be big admirers of San Antonio's defense-first philosophy and approach to team-building.

But Elie, 43, has Spurs ties as well, after helping San Antonio win its first of three championships as a player in 1999. And Elie's candidacy in Sacramento, according to coaching sources, could be enhanced by the Dallas Mavericks' playoff success.

Sacramento, according to sources, sees some Avery Johnson potential in Elie, after Johnson and Elie combined to supply much of the vocal leadership for the Spurs' first championship team in 1999.

In his first full season in Dallas, Johnson quickly lived up to his reputation as an X-and-O natural, intensely guiding the Mavericks to the Western Conference finals and winning Coach of the Year honors.

Elie, an assistant for one season in San Antonio before joining the Warriors, was also known for his intensity as a player and has an existing relationship with fellow New Yorker Ron Artest, Sacramento's enigmatic new franchise player.

Besides Elie and Musselman, it's believed that John Whisenant of the WNBA's Sacramento Monarchs will also be interviewed this week.

T Park
05-25-2006, 01:09 AM
lol

go ahead and hire Mario.... :lol

RON ARTEST
05-25-2006, 02:31 AM
lol

go ahead and hire Mario.... :lol
why? do you want to keep pj or do you think the kings would suck with mario?

AFE7FATMAN
05-25-2006, 03:44 AM
Sending PJ to Sacto would mean, that Sacto will eliminate Spurs next season.

Keep PJ, let unquestionable genius go.

If this was to happen than Mario might be willing to come back to
SA. I wonder what he would say at half time when their is a lack of
effort. :lol