PDA

View Full Version : Pistons vs Heat: Detroit News Staff Predictions

jochhejaam
05-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Here are the predictions from the Detroit News Staff for thoae that are interested.

Chris McCosky: Are the Pistons a better team this season than they were last season? Yes. Are the Heat right now better than they were at this time last season? No. They miss the perimeter defense Eddie Jones provided. They miss, believe it or not, the perimeter offense Damon Jones, provided. Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade are healthy. Alonzo Mourning is healthy. Rasheed Wallace is not. That is the only potential snag for the Pistons. Pistons in 7

Angelique S. Chengelis: Yes, Miami and Shaq are rested, but I do believe there is something to be said for a team that goes through a seven-game series and builds momentum the way the Pistons have. The Pistons have found their defensive groove. And while guarding Shaq is a formidable task, they can contain him going deep into their bench. Pistons in 5

Dave Dye: The Pistons had their scare and they'll be better off for it the rest of the way. This series will be much easier than some might think. Pistons in 5

Terry Foster: You know the drill. The Pistons lose one of two games at home. They lose Game 3 in Miami, and just when seeds of doubt are spread around the community, Shaquille O'Neal breaks down and Dwyane Wade is kept in check, just enough for Detroit to prevail. Pistons in 7

Tom Gage: No nonsense this time. The Pistons will win the first three, drop the fourth, but win the fifth game decisively. Pistons in 5

Joanne C. Gerstner: Are we ready for more nail-biting? Reserve whatever you have left for this series. It's going to be tough, grind-it-out basketball. The Heat and Pistons have been on a collision course all season for the Eastern Conference finals. It's going to be close, but the Pistons will win again. Pistons in 7

Lynn Henning: Really, now. Did anyone think the Pistons were going to lose a sixth or seventh game to the Cavaliers? Acknowledged No. 1 teams destined to win championships invariably confront, and survive, some sort of scare during a long playoff run. Miami is sexy but insubstantial compared with last year's Heat. Pistons in 5

Ted Kulfan: The Pistons are still on course to win the NBA championship. The Heat certainly have the talent to make life difficult for the Pistons. But, as I've said all along, I just don't see anyone in the NBA this season defeating the Pistons in a seven-game series. Pistons in 6

Vartan Kupelian: You've got to admit the conference finals are a whole lot more interesting now that the Pistons have shown a bit of vulnerability. However, I look at the Heat, and the only real threat I see there is Dwyane Wade. If the Pistons can handle Wade better than they did last season before he got hurt, they'll win. Pistons in 7

Eric Lacy: Shaq had better stock up on those IcyHot sleeves because he's going to take a beating from Pistons reserves Dale Davis and Kelvin Cato. He'll fade in a long series that exposes the Heat's supporting cast. Pistons in 6

Tom Markowski: The Pistons were fortunate to get past the Cavaliers, and they haven't played well since the first game of that series. Miami has a healthy Dwyane Wade (unlike last season) and Shaq is going to be at his best. He's tired of losing to Detroit. Heat in 7 (traitor :lol )

John Niyo: This time it's Detroit limping into the conference finals. But lingering injuries aside -- and forgetting that abysmal free-throw shooting -- the Pistons love the matchups. Pistons in 6

Mike O'Hara: Cleveland couldn't beat the Pistons with a one-man team, even one man as good as LeBron James. Miami has a two-man team -- Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O'Neal. Last time I checked, five of a kind beats a pair. Pistons in 6

Rob Parker: The Pistons match up well against the Heat and can get the stops needed to win and secure the hat trick on Shaq -- sending him home for the third straight summer. Pistons in 6

Bob Wojnowski: This will be just as tricky as we figured it would be. The Heat retooled because of the Pistons, and have been waiting for the Pistons all year. Detroit must play much, much better than it did against LeBron's team. Dwyane Wade isn't LeBron James, but you know what? He's close. Pistons in 7

Mike Stone, WDFN 1130: The Heat appear to be healthy and happy for the first time all season. The Pistons looked and played lethargic until it counted against the Cavaliers. They will not be looking past Miami. Pistons in 7

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060523/SPORTS0102/605230369/1127

FreshPrince22
05-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Bunch of Homers.

MadDog73
05-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Are Pistons a little worried after dropping game 1?

Riley looks prepared for this team.

DarkReign
05-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Nope. Those were tired legs. When jumpshots dont fall, its a sure sign of fatigue.

I dont expect players to miss their bread-and-butter shots like they did in game 1. I also dont expect DWade to shoot 80% from the field.

Nor do I expect Wade to have 4 fouls in the 3rd quarter. Shaq, I do expect it.

I also think GP played out of his mind. Nothing in that game impressed me, neither team played very well except Miami's 1st quarter.

FreshPrince22
05-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Nope. Those were tired legs. When jumpshots dont fall, its a sure sign of fatigue.

Problem: Only 1 day between each and every game from here on out. When will these "tired legs" have time to become..... "Un-tired"?

THAT is what I worry about.

DarkReign
05-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Game 1 isnt a must win. Game 2 is. Lets see how it goes.

CubanMustGo
05-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Gawd, PLEASE keep "greasy kid hair" Riley and his bunch of thugs out of the Finals.

Vizzini
05-24-2006, 10:11 AM

I dont expect players to miss their bread-and-butter shots like they did in game 1. I also dont expect DWade to shoot 80% from the field.

Nor do I expect Wade to have 4 fouls in the 3rd quarter. Shaq, I do expect it.

I also think GP played out of his mind. Nothing in that game impressed me, neither team played very well except Miami's 1st quarter.

It was very weird game, had a weird vibe to it. D. Wade is going to get his, but it won't be on 80% shooting the rest of the way. Miami played like a pissed off team last night, and they took it to a tired a Piston team. The Pistons are in trouble if Fatione Walker is a viable offensive threat. Game two is going to be indictive of how this series will go. If the Pistons come out and show resolve, keep Wade from driving, and put a hand in his face on jump shots, then they should be all right. I fully expect their to be some sort of altertcation in the next few games, especially if Cato or Davis get some time and foul Shaq or Mourning hard. Miami isn't going away, so it is up to the Pistons to match their energy. The question that remains "Is this a Miami team that is satisfied with a split in Detroit, or our they going to come out with even more energy than in game one?" If they are satisfied, then it is advantage Pistons, b/c it is just the Miami team that thought they could turn it on whenever they want, like the regular season, if not, then the Pistons might be in trouble.

jochhejaam
05-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Problem: Only 1 day between each and every game from here on out. When will these "tired legs" have time to become..... "Un-tired"?

THAT is what I worry about.

At least the Heat will have the same "fatigue" factor as the Pistons for the rest of the series.

No more excuses from here on out.

Darrin
05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Are Pistons a little worried after dropping game 1?

Riley looks prepared for this team.

It is a cause for concern, not worry. There's a few things to consider here.

- The Pistons were out-scored 18-6 in the first six minutes. The Pistons out-scored the Heat 80-73 from that point forward, holding them to 33 points combined in the second and third quarters, or the same amount of points the Heat put up in the first.

If they win the first quarter, this series is 1-0 Pistons.

In the winning quarter, the 1st, the Heat needed Shaq and Wade to score 23 of the first 33 points of the game.

- The Pistons shot 37% at home. That doesn't happen. As Hubie pointed out during the game, the Pistons missed tons of open shots.

- This is probably the best game or I should say the freshest Shaquille O'Neal is going to be.

- If you're going to lose one game at home, the first one gives you three chances to get one at their place.

- Game 2 is a must-win obviously. They cannot afford to go down 2-0 in the Conference Finals. History tells Pistons fans that would spell certain doom. That's only happened twice, and both series (1991 Bulls and 2003 Nets) were sweeps. The history to remember is the 2004 Conference Finals when the Pistons lost on Reggie Miller's huge 3-pointer.

- The fact the Pistons were spotted 3 quarters to comeback and didn't is a concern. But this team is being left for dead right now, and that's when they play their best.

Burn531
05-24-2006, 05:11 PM
At least half of them didn't say the Heat would win. It's the Detroit paper why wouldn't they be homer's.

PaceMonster
05-24-2006, 05:14 PM
It is a cause for concern, not worry. There's a few things to consider here.

- The Pistons were out-scored 18-6 in the first six minutes. The Pistons out-scored the Heat 80-73 from that point forward, holding them to 33 points combined in the second and third quarters, or the same amount of points the Heat put up in the first.

If they win the first quarter, this series is 1-0 Pistons.

In the winning quarter, the 1st, the Heat needed Shaq and Wade to score 23 of the first 33 points of the game.

- The Pistons shot 37% at home. That doesn't happen. As Hubie pointed out during the game, the Pistons missed tons of open shots.

- This is probably the best game or I should say the freshest Shaquille O'Neal is going to be.

- If you're going to lose one game at home, the first one gives you three chances to get one at their place.

- Game 2 is a must-win obviously. They cannot afford to go down 2-0 in the Conference Finals. History tells Pistons fans that would spell certain doom. That's only happened twice, and both series (1991 Bulls and 2003 Nets) were sweeps. The history to remember is the 2004 Conference Finals when the Pistons lost on Reggie Miller's huge 3-pointer.

- The fact the Pistons were spotted 3 quarters to comeback and didn't is a concern. But this team is being left for dead right now, and that's when they play their best.

yea i think u should lay off that crack pipe and see reality...this will be shaq's worst game of the series...he only had 14 points!!!he averages 27 vs detroit this season!!!!!!!!u sure are on that good shit

Burn531
05-24-2006, 05:26 PM
yea i think u should lay off that crack pipe and see reality...this will be shaq's worst game of the series...he only had 14 points!!!he averages 27 vs detroit this season!!!!!!!!u sure are on that good shit

Have you watched Shaq this post season? He slows down every game. With 1 day rest between each game he won't be his dominant self.

PaceMonster
05-24-2006, 05:30 PM
yea he has had an 8 point game which is really bad...but he has also had strong game like that 30 point 20 rebound outing vs the bulls....he can turn it on anyday...hes wierd

E20
05-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Pistons in 4 BOOK IT!

Dunc
05-24-2006, 05:38 PM
yea he has had an 8 point game which is really bad...but he has also had strong game like that 30 point 20 rebound outing vs the bulls....he can turn it on anyday...hes wierd

Lol, can you tell me who defended Shaq in that game? Tyson Chandler was out, so you're talking about Chicago's backup center. Yes, I'm sure he can turn it on against a shitty center. Impressive. I'm not saying that Shaq doesn't scare the hell out of me, cuz he does, but the 30-20 game is a poor example of how he can "turn it on".

Darrin
05-24-2006, 06:18 PM

Shaq's Best Playoff Performances (against Pistons):
36 points, 20 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 block - Lost 80-88*.
34 points, 11 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 block - Lost 75-87.
27 points, 9 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 steals, and 1 rebound - Lost 82-88.
24 points, 13 rebounds, 4 assists, and 5 blocks - Lost 66-91.

* - more than one day's rest.

PaceMonster
05-25-2006, 07:33 AM
actually tyson chandler played that game....but i dont know why thats what u care about since hes not even the starting center...mike sweetney is.....they threw a combo of sweetney and chandler at him that game and they couldnt stop him

Darrin
05-25-2006, 10:31 AM
actually tyson chandler played that game....but i dont know why thats what u care about since hes not even the starting center...mike sweetney is.....they threw a combo of sweetney and chandler at him that game and they couldnt stop him

Mike Sweetney...Tyson Chandler...Malik Allen.

Yeah, that's about the same as Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, and Antonio McDyess.

Dunc
05-25-2006, 10:54 AM

So you're impressed that Shaq dominated Mike Sweetney and Tyson Chandler on a sprained ankle? Wow.

PaceMonster
05-25-2006, 01:49 PM
see u startin shit now...i never said im impressed....u said chandler didnt play...i showed u that he did....now u switch the subject....pointless agruement

Dunc
05-25-2006, 01:55 PM
see u startin shit now...i never said im impressed....u said chandler didnt play...i showed u that he did....now u switch the subject....pointless agruement

Starting shit? Please, lol. No, I admit I was incorrect. I had heard that Chandler was out becuase of his sprained ankle (didn't watch the game, had to work). All I'm saying is that the best game Shaq has had in the playoffs, the one you used as an example of how he can "turn it on", came against a mediocre center (Sweetney) and an injured center (Chandler). Regardless, you're right. This is a pointless discussion. Bulls-Heat has nothing to do with Pistons-Heat.

Bob Lanier
05-25-2006, 01:56 PM
O'Neal took 24 shots in that game to get his 30 points. The biggest reason the Heat won that game in a blowout was not O'Neal, but a series of runs keyed by Miami 3-balls and Chicago bricking every jumpshot they saw.

More to the point: in two games during these playoffs, Shaquille O'Neal has been distinctly outplayed by his counterpart center. Those centers were Mike Sweetney and Nenad Krstic. He can't "turn it on anyday". He can turn it on some days, and those days are getting further and further apart.

PaceMonster
05-25-2006, 04:15 PM
O'Neal took 24 shots in that game to get his 30 points. The biggest reason the Heat won that game in a blowout was not O'Neal, but a series of runs keyed by Miami 3-balls and Chicago bricking every jumpshot they saw.

More to the point: in two games during these playoffs, Shaquille O'Neal has been distinctly outplayed by his counterpart center. Those centers were Mike Sweetney and Nenad Krstic. He can't "turn it on anyday". He can turn it on some days, and those days are getting further and further apart.

If you say so.....but i want to know the game when Sweetney and Krstic outplayed him

PaceMonster
05-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Starting shit? Please, lol. No, I admit I was incorrect. I had heard that Chandler was out becuase of his sprained ankle (didn't watch the game, had to work). All I'm saying is that the best game Shaq has had in the playoffs, the one you used as an example of how he can "turn it on", came against a mediocre center (Sweetney) and an injured center (Chandler). Regardless, you're right. This is a pointless discussion. Bulls-Heat has nothing to do with Pistons-Heat.

Exactly so lets just start another discussion about something....Shaq is the X factor in this series...if he can play good the first 3 quarters and den leave the 4th to D-Wade and co.....the the Heat might have a chance

Darrin
05-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Exactly so lets just start another discussion about something....Shaq is the X factor in this series...if he can play good the first 3 quarters and den leave the 4th to D-Wade and co.....the the Heat might have a chance

I don't believe that Shaq is the X-Factor. I believe that he's going to give the Heat what he can, but it's on Miami's shooters to nail their contested shots. Shaq has to get them off to a good start like he did in game one, but beyond that, it's up to the rest of Miami to give D-Wade room to operate.

Bob Lanier
05-25-2006, 04:33 PM
If you say so.....but i want to know the game when Sweetney and Krstic outplayed him
Miami @ Chicago, April 27 (Game 3): S. O'Neal 24 MIN, 8 PTS (4-8 FG, 0-6 FT), 4 REB, 1 AST, 7 TO, 0 BLK, 5 FOUL. M. Sweetney 27 MIN, 10 PTS (4-5 FG, 2-6 FT), 7 REB, 1 AST, 1 TO, 1 BLK, 5 FOUL.

Chicago @ Miami, May 2 (Game 5): S. O'Neal 27 MIN, 16 PTS (7-9 FG, 2-12 FT), 10 REB, 2 AST, 3 TO, 3 BLK, 4 FOUL. M. Sweetney 16 PTS (5-9 FG, 6-6 FT), 9 REB, 0 AST, 3 TO, 2 BLK, 5 FOUL. (roughly even)

Miami @ New Jersey, May 14 (Game 4): S. O'Neal 35 MIN, 16 PTS (7-13 FG, 2-8 FT), 8 REB, 2 AST, 3 TO, 1 BLK, 3 FOUL. N. Krstic 44 MIN, 20 PTS (9-16 FG, 2-2 FT), 14 REB, 0 AST, 1 TO, 1 BLK, 3 FOUL.

PaceMonster
05-25-2006, 05:00 PM
ok thank you for stating them....as you can see in the first game he was lost because of foul trouble and even though he played 3 less minutes that Sweetney he was still outplayed

THE SECOND GAME HE IS CLEARLY NOT OUTPLAYED....THEY HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF POINTS WITH SHAQ HAVING MORE BLOCKS, REBOUNDS,AND ASSISTS....SAME AMOUNT OF TURNOVERS....ALSO I WONDER Y U DIDNT PUT THE AMOUNT OF MINUTES THAT SWEETNEY PLAYED....U MIGHT AS WELL TAKE THAT ONE OUT

the third game yes he did get outplayed even though he played 9 less minutes....but lets get real here...he is a bet to outplay his opponent center on any given night vs anybody....and u dont even wanna get me started on people outplaying Ben Wallace

spurs_in_7
05-25-2006, 06:52 PM
the heat in 6, in the worst case scenario.

MadDog73
05-26-2006, 09:33 AM
the heat in 6, in the worst case scenario.

Wouldn't Heat in 5 be the worst case scenario for the Pistons?

PaceMonster
05-28-2006, 10:52 AM

i told yall game 1 would be his worst game of the series...and we still won...i guarantee shaq not having any under 20 point games anymore