PDA

View Full Version : Beno should get his chance- Express News

ploto
05-24-2006, 07:25 AM
With backup point guard Nick Van Exel intent on retiring after a disappointing season and an even more disappointing playoff performance, one of the Spurs' primary off-season priorities will be to find a reliable backup for All-Star point guard Tony Parker.

The search may take them no farther than their own locker room.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who doubles as the club's senior executive vice-president for basketball operations, said Beno Udrih, who ceded the backup job to Van Exel after a shaky performance in the 2005 NBA Finals, will have a chance to re-establish himself in the position next season.

However, Popovich stopped far short of saying the backup job was Udrih's to lose.

"We've got to make a decision in that situation," Popovich said. "Are we going to give the ball to Beno and say, 'Go ahead, young man. It's yours?' or are we going to look around? What are we going to do?"

Udrih played in only seven of the Spurs' 13 playoff games, a total of only 47 minutes. During the regular season he played in only 54 games, averaging 5.2 points and 1.7 assists. He played in 80 games in his 2004-05 rookie season, averaging 5.9 points and 2.0 assists.

"For right now I can say that Beno is a very talented young man," Popovich said. "His rookie year he played very well for us, for a rookie. Very well. This year we just made the decision to go with Nick's maturity and experience. That was tough for Beno, so I think he deserves an opportunity to come in and see what he can do."

Popovich said some of Udrih's problems on the court stem more from his concern about the coach's lack of confidence in him than in doubt in his own abilities.

"Tony Parker and I had to work through that situation," Popovich said, "and now Tony is a pretty confident, accomplished young man. That same sort of thing would have to happen for Beno, too — to know that I want him on the court and playing for us."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052406.10C.BKNspurs.notebook.172f41e2.html

Bruno
05-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Beno is talented enough to be the backup PG and he is cheap.

I would like to have Beno as backup PG for next year with two conditions :

- Pop should trust him : as said in this article, Beno need confidence.

- A solid 3rd PG : not a talented guy that can threat beno but a solid vet that can be use if Beno has troubles like against Detroit in his rookie year. a guy like Milt Palacio, Jacque Vaughn, Jason Hart, Moochie Norris or Mike Wilks.

velik_m
05-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Beno is done with Spurs, use him as a trade bait.

leemajors
05-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Beno is talented enough to be the backup PG and he is cheap.

I would like to have Beno as backup PG for next year with two conditions :

- Pop should trust him : as said in this article, Beno need confidence.

- A solid 3rd PG : not a talented guy that can threat beno but a solid vet that can be use if Beno has troubles like against Detroit in his rookie year. a guy like Milt Palacio, Jacque Vaughn, Jason Hart, Moochie Norris or Mike Wilks.

i agree, but jacque vaugh is more of a small 2. which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. i would like to see a backup point who can defend and not make pop running a 2pg lineup who gives up instant offense for the other team.

strangeweather
05-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Beno is done with Spurs, use him as a trade bait.

Just what exactly do you think his trade value is, anyway?

He's got a low guaranteed contract, and he's worthless on the trade market. I can't see that there's anything to do but keep him for the last year of his contract and see if he ever ends up developing.

SequSpur
05-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Is this about winning now or is it about massaging Pop's ego?

WTF?

Beno and Rasho suck. They don't need any chances.

Jimcs50
05-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Well Pop, if you knew what the problem with Beno was, WTF did you not sit him down and tell him that you had confidence in him and would not pull him the minute he messed up?

I rue the day that we signed NVE. That signing totally stifled Beno's developement, because had Beno played NVE's minutes this year, he would have been ready to really help come playoff time and that might have been the 1 pt difference in this series, and SA would be meeting Phoenix tonight, instead of Dallas.

Pop bit the weenie on this one, bigtime.

velik_m
05-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Just what exactly do you think his trade value is, anyway?

He's got a low guaranteed contract, and he's worthless on the trade market. I can't see that there's anything to do but keep him for the last year of his contract and see if he ever ends up developing.

his values:
young player
low contract
good shooter
good passer

perfect for teams where sg is the main ball handler.

Bruno
05-24-2006, 08:29 AM
i agree, but jacque vaugh is more of a small 2. which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. i would like to see a backup point who can defend and not make pop running a 2pg lineup who gives up instant offense for the other team.

Vaughn isn't a SG or a PG on offense : he just can do nothing. :lol

The way I see the thing : if Beno can't handle the ball, we put a solid guy whose only tasks are to defend, to bring the ball up and to give the ball to Manu to create the offense.

strangeweather
05-24-2006, 08:49 AM
his values:
young player
low contract
good shooter
good passer

perfect for teams where sg is the main ball handler.

So who do you think wants Beno, and what do you think they would be willing to trade?

SenorSpur
05-24-2006, 09:45 AM
If the staff doesn't have confidence in him, get him out of here and get someone in (perhaps a Marcus Banks) that can do the job. I just wish they'd stop experimenting with the latest "old guy of the year". We've already seen the how that works.

T Park
05-24-2006, 09:46 AM
signing totally stifled Beno's developement

No,

Beno stifled Beno.

With the pathetic showing against the Clippers when Tony sat out, and that debacle of a game against Houston at the end of they year when the Spurs leaned on him.

Quit sucking his dick and wake up, the kid sucks.

Kibic
05-24-2006, 10:06 AM
No,

Beno stifled Beno.

With the pathetic showing against the Clippers when Tony sat out, and that debacle of a game against Houston at the end of they year when the Spurs leaned on him.

UUUhhhh....h.hh.! How mature!

So your hate is in direct relation with him backing up your beloved Tony? What do you think about Eva? :spin

strangeweather
05-24-2006, 10:21 AM
I just wish they'd stop experimenting with the latest "old guy of the year". We've already seen the how that works.

Thanks to the cap, you can't always patch all your holes with guys in their prime every year. Van Exel was willing to play for the minimum, or we wouldn't have signed him. The alternative was another whodat of the year, like Hart or Garcia were when they came in.

Edited to add: in retrospect, another Jason Hart would have been nice to have. But I think Van X looked more appealing last fall.

DarrinS
05-24-2006, 10:22 AM
I'll pass on Beno.

I'll also pass on any has-been, out of shape, over 30 PG.

leemajors
05-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Vaughn isn't a SG or a PG on offense : he just can do nothing. :lol

The way I see the thing : if Beno can't handle the ball, we put a solid guy whose only tasks are to defend, to bring the ball up and to give the ball to Manu to create the offense.

i agree.

leemajors
05-24-2006, 10:29 AM
So who do you think wants Beno, and what do you think they would be willing to trade?

we tried to pawn him off on the blaze for jarret jack. i wish we had been able to make that trade.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Nothing personal.

Trade him for someone better and already developed/confident.

He gets too flustered. He's got the well-rounded talent for a PG, good shooter, good passer, but never showed it on the floor consistently when pressured.

He'll probably succeed better on a less talented team with a bigger role. Right now his talent hasn't shown through because we've been filled to the brim with veterans.

Trade him before he wastes our time.

strangeweather
05-24-2006, 10:50 AM
we tried to pawn him off on the blaze for jarret jack. i wish we had been able to make that trade.

No kidding. And if someone wants to take Beno off our hands for someone worth having, done and done. I just don't think there are many teams queuing up for him at this point.

ata
05-24-2006, 11:20 AM
No,

Beno stifled Beno.

Who should know better, you are still sucking Nick Van Bust.

If I remember correctly, Pop has no mercy for TP in his first year. TP choked in PO, but hey, here was a veteran to save him. Spurs now have young and experienced PG in TP, why did Pop not make same with Beno.
Instead of pushing Beno all regular season long, unquestionable genius put Beno on the bench. TP is veteran enough to take care of PO (obviously), but there was nobody on the bench to back him. When genius decided to play small (spells fast) ball, Spurs were already doomed. With already retired veteran and sophomore without PT, there is just no chance.

If genius would have push Beno we would know something: Beno is great back-up PG with high trade value (if necessary) or Beno is total bust, his value is expiring contract only.

Now we have PG without any trade value and don't really know hid potential (except for T Park with his mantra: choke, choke, choke...)

Dario
05-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Tpark i understand the hate, i have never liked van x even when he was in lakers uniform for some reason, but i don't understand you backing up hate with 1 or 2 games and then sucking up to another player who sucked for whole year with exception of few games. Nick was great for most of his carear, but he laid an egg this year.

velik_m
05-24-2006, 12:34 PM

Beno himself probably can't bring any quality player (especially with his low contract), but he can make Rasho's or Barry's contract look more atractive if added to the package.

BgT
05-24-2006, 01:35 PM
UUUhhhh....h.hh.! How mature!

So your hate is in direct relation with him backing up your beloved Tony? What do you think about Eva? :spin
Haha, great post. :lmao

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Pop said on the Pop Show yesterday that they need to figure out if the backup point guard is going to be Beno or perhaps someone else. So I imagine that they'll look around this summer for other options, but Beno still has a chance to be here.

However, I can imagine that if they needed to use him in a trade package, they will. He doesn't make much, so his contract alone isn't worth anything but I imagine that a lot of teams may be interested in him.

We'll see what happens.

angel_luv
05-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Probably needless to say :), I want Beno here again next year. :D

timvp
05-24-2006, 03:58 PM
I want Beno to lose 15 pounds this summer and just play all the basketball he can. He has great talent but he isn't in shape enough to be a point guard right now.

Get in shape, toughen up and fight for your job in training camp. If the Spurs don't land a high quality backup like Speedy Claxton, I say bring in a young scoring point and bring back Beno and let them fight it out.

polandprzem
05-24-2006, 04:12 PM
TPark and his mantra :lol

T Park
05-24-2006, 04:21 PM
My mantra is not wrong.

Show me the times when Beno, against good defensive teams like the Rockets and CLippers, for example, came through?

Never did.

Fact.

All the slovenians posting in here can defend there choking dog boy all they way.

Van Exel was not brought in as the primary backup, mearly a third, and at times a primary.

Beno was expected to, but sucked ass so freakin bad in the preseason, that the job went to X.

Beno obviously never proved himself in practice all year either, or else Pop would've taken a flier.

Pop is big on busting ass in practice, and if you don't he won't play you.

polandprzem
05-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Pop is big on busting ass in practice, and if you don't he won't play you.
You accualy was on the practice (?)
Why didn't he chose you to play? hmm?

Okay, now seriously - I know TPark will always defend Pop, but to me what Pop should do in the middle of a year is to give Beno more playing time and trust him for some time. Ans see how he would fight for his position. The truth is Beno doesn't like the pressure and like to play more free basketball, and then he is realy good.
It will be a tough choice for Pop in this summer to decide what's the priority, a backup PG for Tony or the Bigs situacion. That will be the key in this summer.

All in all that's one thing I wanted to Pop do better is give the guy some more time in the middle of a season.

ploto
05-24-2006, 06:26 PM
I want Beno to lose 15 pounds this summer and just play all the basketball he can.
The Slovenian National Team starts training in early July- plays in three warm-up tournaments- and then the World Championships starting in mid-August.

MannyIsGod
05-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Tpark latches onto something and never lets go. I think over the years, I've finaly come to terms with Tpark. He's gonna do his thing and it is what it is. Eventually everyone comes to terms with it.

Now, in regards to Beno...

I'm torn. I have probably lost all hope that the kid will develop. He's got talent, there's no denying that, but I think there are some serious questions about his worth ethic and whether or not he can ever get over the "hump".

I don't think the Spurs will hesitate to move him. But the thing is his value isn't really that high and he does have a small contract which makes him attractive. The bottom line is that if a deal comes around he's gone, but I don't expect a deal to be made. I think the Spurs more pressing needs are in the frontcourt and at the 3 and those positions will take precedent in negotiations and off season acquisition.

So to me it appears that Beno will have shot by default. I hope he has the brains to make the most of it.

ducks
05-24-2006, 07:27 PM
this is the last year of beno's contract right?

he has to come in camp in shape
horry told everyone to
so maybe he will to

beno will only be a throw in a deal to make it happen because he makes so little unless they think a pick is worth it

ploto
05-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Look at him here when he played for Maccabi:
http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/General/1097259358.jpg

navarat
05-24-2006, 09:55 PM
guys we need hard nosed PG, I like beno but we need help when parker goes to the bench, Bobby Jackson, Speedy, or damon would be perfect.

intlspurshk
05-24-2006, 10:22 PM
He is soft but a very talented playmaker. If he is in Houston, he will shine.

beachbarbie948
05-24-2006, 10:28 PM
i think they should keep beno this year...maybe he'll play more since Van X is (FINALLY!) gone...and possibly get more confident and get better...but if he still sucks...don't resign for 07-08

T Park
05-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Tpark latches onto something and never lets go

So, I should change my position for no reason?

?

Why, I was always proven right.

Game 6 was another.

hes not in their 2 seconds he turns the ball over.

He can't handle pressure situations, and with the Spurs your gonna be in pressure situations alot.

Sorry, truth hurts.

duncan2k5
05-24-2006, 10:44 PM
i like beno. if he was on another team doing the things he has been doing here, ppl would be saying "we need beno, he is a tall pg who can shoot and move well without the ball. perfect for our offense."

beachbarbie948
05-24-2006, 10:48 PM

?

Game 6 was another.

He can't handle pressure situations, and with the Spurs your gonna be in pressure situations alot.

Sorry, truth hurts.

2 seconds and he turned it over, yea, but that Mavs guy ran into him

duncan2k5
05-24-2006, 10:50 PM
beno...soft? i dont think so. remember when friggin earl boykinds was bustin tony parker's ass? beno came in and put a stop to it. thats soft label is overused and overrated. you cant judge beno by one game and overlook the many good things he has done. if that was the case we should have traded tony parker after his first three seasons

T Park
05-24-2006, 10:59 PM
beno...soft? i dont think so

Miss the NBA Finals?

Miss Sam Cassell make Beno look like a scared school girl?

Miss Devin harris make him look like a slow footed street whore?

Beno is soft.

he was soft in europe, part of the reason I think Maccabi didn't want him around.

T Park
05-24-2006, 11:02 PM
you cant judge beno by one game and overlook the many good things he has done

Im judging him from all season and the Finals last year, and the playoffs this year.

Adios Beno.

GoSpurs21
05-24-2006, 11:02 PM
No,

Beno stifled Beno.

Quit sucking his dick and wake up, the kid sucks.but the point is that NVE sucked big time and one of the main reasons we lost to dallas. At least Beno can keep up with younger guards

ploto
05-24-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm just wondering if people actually read the article.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich... said Beno Udrih... will have a chance to re-establish himself in the position next season.

"That was tough for Beno, so I think he deserves an opportunity to come in and see what he can do."

Pop doesn't say things like that too often- about plans for the next season- but he said Beno should get his chance to show what he can do. I really don't see him gone unless he is the extra piece needed to make some other trade happen.

ducks
05-24-2006, 11:38 PM
cia pop wanting to unload him on another team

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-25-2006, 12:20 AM
actually I don't care if he goes or stays...

velik_m
05-25-2006, 12:40 AM
he was soft in europe, part of the reason I think Maccabi didn't want him around.

that or maybe it was because they got the best pg in Europe. :rolleyes

MannyIsGod
05-25-2006, 01:03 AM

?

Game 6 was another.

Sorry, truth hurts.I agree with you on Beno but that has nothing to do with the point I made.

MannyIsGod
05-25-2006, 01:03 AM
I'm just wondering if people actually read the article.

Pop doesn't say things like that too often- about plans for the next season- but he said Beno should get his chance to show what he can do. I really don't see him gone unless he is the extra piece needed to make some other trade happen.Um, Ploto. Pops says stuff like that all the time.

ata
05-25-2006, 01:11 AM
I want Beno to lose 15 pounds this summer and just play all the basketball he can. He has great talent but he isn't in shape enough to be a point guard right now.

Get in shape, toughen up and fight for your job in training camp. If the Spurs don't land a high quality backup like Speedy Claxton, I say bring in a young scoring point and bring back Beno and let them fight it out.

Are you still waiting for bust-uot performance from Nick Van Bust?

T Park
05-25-2006, 01:12 AM
I agree with you on Beno but that has nothing to do with the point I made

What is your point.

Im sticking by my position.

Is that it? That I dont flip flop?

T Park
05-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Are you still waiting for bust-uot performance from Nick Van Bust?

Were waiting for Beno to lose the ghost of Lindsey Hunter.

ata
05-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Yes, Beno will most probably be traded.
And forget Speedy, he is to young (and to quick). Pop is looking for experience - Sam Cassell.

MannyIsGod
05-25-2006, 01:50 AM
My point was that you stick your head in the sand sometimes, Eric.

And ata, Speedy is a great fit. Don't know if we can afford him though.

Horry For 3!
05-25-2006, 02:06 AM
Look at him here when he played for Maccabi:
http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/General/1097259358.jpg
He must of ate too much Mexican food since he has been in SA.

T Park
05-25-2006, 02:38 AM
My point was that you stick your head in the sand sometimes

Once again,

dont get me wrong, I think Beno is UBER talented.

I see great potential.

But he just doesn't have the mental make up to make it on a championship caliber team.

That simple.

ata
05-25-2006, 03:07 AM
Once again,

dont get me wrong, I think Beno is UBER talented.

I see great potential.

But he just doesn't have the mental make up to make it on a championship caliber team.

That simple.
Nächsten mal, wenn du entschiedest Deutsch zu schreiben, bitte schrieb richtig: nicht "uber" sondern "über".

polandprzem
05-25-2006, 04:59 AM
Nächsten mal, wenn du entschiedest Deutsch zu schreiben, bitte schrieb richtig: nicht "uber" sondern "über".

No, i wszystko jasne :)

Dario
05-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Lol, is this the time when i write something in italian? :)
I respect people that don't back down when they decide something, but you TPark are not always proven right.
Its hillarious how you defend someone who is not doing well for whole season and you pick couple of games as your sample that you were right all along and then you criticize another player and again you pick a sample of games of your choice.
Nick was worse this year than beno and you don't want to aknowledge it.
And me being slovenian got little to do with it, i like nazr more than rasho for example :)

admiral50
05-25-2006, 07:29 AM
I agree wit Dario completely!

leemajors
05-25-2006, 08:16 AM
was ist los? der hund is los.

ata
05-25-2006, 09:11 AM
was ist los? der hund is los.
:lmao :lmao :lmao

T Park
05-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Nick was worse this year than beno and you don't want to aknowledge it

because he wasn't.

Once again,

everytime Beno was given a chance and leaned on, in those few games, he stiffed.

A big game in LA against the Clippers, a hurt Van Exel has to play alot of minutes cause he sucked so bad.

Against the Rockets at the end of the year, damn near blowing win number 63 single handidly.

horrible defense in games 3, 4 and 2 in the playoffs.

Sorry that you guys can't wrap your heads around the facts.

BgT
05-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Yes, yes. Without NVE this team would not get into PO. That's obvious. About Beno, he SHOULD lost some weight, how the fuck did that happen? Is he not training hard enough?

T Park
05-25-2006, 09:38 AM
NVE this team would not get into PO

???? eh????

TDMVPDPOY
05-25-2006, 09:42 AM
i think pop should put beno in guantanamo to test his mental toughness :D

beno is goin to prove him wrong in the world championships, same with that dude ra-slow

Dario
05-25-2006, 10:56 PM
because he wasn't.

Once again,

everytime Beno was given a chance and leaned on, in those few games, he stiffed.
So he sucked in all games?

A big game in LA against the Clippers, a hurt Van Exel has to play alot of minutes cause he sucked so bad.

Against the Rockets at the end of the year, damn near blowing win number 63 single handidly.
Again you chosed 2 games as a sample, i call it a bad day, everyone got one from time to time, that is why even the best teams lose some games

horrible defense in games 3, 4 and 2 in the playoffs.
I honestly don't remember how he played in this games, if he played at all, but i'm sure it was much better defense than nicks.