PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Vinicius

strangeweather
05-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Any chance the Spurs are interested in this guy to develop at SF? We could probably get a decent enough pick to land him in a Scola trade if we wanted.

Anyone know more?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=18948&draftyear=2006

Marcus Vinicius
Small Forward (Rank: #25) | 6-9, 235 | Age: 21
Brazil (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Draft Projection: Late first to early second

Notes: Plays for Sao Carlos in Brazil. Averaging 19.5 ppg and 4.5 apg in 35 mpg this season but lately has been scoring at a much higher clip. He had a 32 point, 9 rebound and 6 assist game on November 29 and a 32 point, 8 rebound, 7 assist game on November 13. His agent, Michael Coyne, hired Bob Donewald (a former Cavs and Hornets assistant coach under Paul Silas) to oversee Vinicius' training and coaching in Brazil. Donewald has Vinicius lifting every day and is teaching him pro offensive and defensive sets in an effort to prepare him for the NBA. Vinicius (formerly known as Marcus Vinicius Viera de Souza) declared for the 2005 NBA draft but withdrew his name after not getting a first-round guarantee.

Positives: Vinicius has the skills to be an NBA player. He's a long, athletic small forward with a great jump shot. He has excellent ball-handling skills. His handle has improved to the point that he's currently playing point guard full time for his team in Brazil. According to Donewald, he's especially difficult to handle in the open court. Several scouts, after seeing him in Brazil, are projecting him as a potential point forward in the pros.

Negatives: In the past, scouts have been concerned about his lack of strength and some major defensive shortcomings. In previous seasons, his lack of strength affected his ability to play in the paint and finish around the basket. However, Vinicius has bulked to 235 over the past year.

Summary: There was some buzz on Vinicius last year after some solid play in Italy, but he's really getting interest this year. The fact that Donewald is teaching him pro offensive and defensive sets, letting him play point guard and getting him on a legit strength and conditioning program have piqued everyone's interest. A few of the scouts Insider talked to who have seen him recently say the improvement is dramatic. While he's a second rounder at the moment, he has the potential, with strong workouts and continued improvement, to work his way into the first round. He's got the raw tools to be a legit prospect.

MoSpur
05-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Sounds good, but I think a team before the Spurs will take a chance at him.

El_Mago
05-24-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm not gonna lie.

This is the player I wanted the Spurs to select in the draft.

However, that was before we got eliminated in the 2nd round, and now I realize we can't afford a project...unless the Spurs are certain they can attain a SF in a trade of free agency.

Marquinhos physically meets all our demands. He has a long wing span and has quick feet, especially a quick first step. He does tend to hang around the perimeter a lot, but he can play the passing lanes due to his long arms. However, overall his defense is not outstanding....put being mentored under Bruce and having the Spurs defensive schemes help him out....he should be okay.

But, his stock is rising, so he might not be there late 2nd round anymore.

Bruno
05-24-2006, 12:49 PM
As said before, this guy should be a project.
I'm fine with getting projects but they won't help next year.

jabol130
05-24-2006, 12:56 PM
It says the guy has some "defensive shortcomings". We don't need another big scorer. I say bring in Javtokas and Scola, give them a chance to show what they can do vs NBA talent. Pick up Tim Thomas, I mean give him an offer he can't refuse, but a reasonable one from our standpoint. And for crying out loud bring in someone to teach tony parker how to play defense at the point guard spot. Forget perfecting his shot, it's his defense that needs some major improving.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Pick up Tim Thomas, I mean give him an offer he can't refuse, but a reasonable one from our standpoint.

We are 8 million dollars over the cap, and Phoenix has his Bird Rights. How do you think we can come up with an offer he 'can't refuse'?

strangeweather
05-24-2006, 01:01 PM
As said before, this guy should be a project.
I'm fine with getting projects but they won't help next year.

My apologies if this is ground that's been covered.

CosmicCowboy
05-24-2006, 01:05 PM
We are 8 million dollars over the cap, and Phoenix has his Bird Rights. How do you think we can come up with an offer he 'can't refuse'?

uhhh...I am not advocating gettimg Tim Thomas but I think you have your facts wrong. As I understand it Phoenix does not have Tim Thomas's bird rights and can only give him a minimum contract.

Bruno
05-24-2006, 01:36 PM
My apologies if this is ground that's been covered.

It's not has been covered.
As said before refer to the previous post from El_Mago :)

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 01:39 PM
In the latest Mock Drafts I've seen, they have him expected to go 27-29 or so.

I wonder if the Spurs might trade (for example Scola's rights) for a 1st round pick.

El_Mago
05-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Marcus is a project, and so was Manu Ginobili.

However, we just don't have the time to anymore to develop projects....especially with just one pick in the entire draft. If we had a first, I could see us taking Marcus.

Marcus can be a defensive liability, but it's not because of his speed. It's because at last year's workout's he was extremely thin and not much muscle mass. He would basically get bullied around everywhere....when he would get posted up or screened he would feel the affects.

Now, he has bulked up, and still has that speed and wingspan. He would still need to be mentored by someone like Bruce and the Spurs defensive schemes would practically cover any true flaws he might have. He definitely won't come in his first year and be 1st team All-Defense, but that occur over time.

But, we just don't have that time. If we assure ourselves of landing a SF via trade or free agency....I would love the Spurs to take Marcus....this is the guy I have wanted them to choose all along.

degenerate_gambler
05-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Well is he the kind of 'project' that could contribute immediately to the team next year or one that is 2 yrs away from any meaningful minutes in an NBA game?

strangeweather
05-24-2006, 01:50 PM
But, we just don't have that time. If we assure ourselves of landing a SF via trade or free agency....I would love the Spurs to take Marcus....this is the guy I have wanted them to choose all along.

If we got someone like Jumaine Jones in free agency with part of the midlevel, he might be a solid backup to Bruce, but I doubt he's a long-term starter for us. In that scenario, having a developmental guy to bring over in a year or two would be a nice win.

MoSpur
05-24-2006, 01:54 PM
I think the Spurs will trade very hard this year to trade Rasho and do a sign and trade with Nazr. This guy sounds good like I said, but how quick can he contribute to the team?

El_Mago
05-24-2006, 02:00 PM
It's really hard to say if Marquinho's would be ready.

Right now, he's down in Brazil playing in a league that is not very good compared to other ball clubs in Europe.

Best bet, is that he get's drafted, he should sign a one year deal with a European ball club.....specifically an Italian club, since he has experience there.

My gut tell's me no....he is not ready. His jump shot is nice, but he needs to stop hanging around the perimeter and create more of his own shot(because he has that quick step). He needs to go back and bang with players who are stronger and older, and stop beating up on kid's in Brazil....because the NBA is physical and your playing against men.

But, i'm telling you....this kid has all the tools we would look for in an ideal SF. His arm length is very appealing, he's quick...especially laterally...so he can defend if he wants to....and his offensive skills are good.

degenerate_gambler
05-24-2006, 02:11 PM
He sounds like he could be an impact player in due time.

On one hand, you want to find the diamonds-in-the-rough and develop them because of their potential. But on the other hand, we aren't going to have Timmy forever and we need to maximize our chances for a title run every year while we still have him.

El_Mago
05-24-2006, 02:17 PM
That's what I'm saying.

If the Spurs had a first round pick, then they could have used the second rounder on Marcus if he would have been there still.

However, we don't have the first, we got eliminated early, and Marcus' stock is rising so he won't be there at the end of the 2nd round.

Only way I see the Spurs taking him, is if they tell a team to draft him and we send them someone like Barry or we trade into the first by giving up a our second and a future first or another player.

To be honest, I would love the Spurs to take Marcus'....but it does not seem possible right now. The Spurs need someone to come in here and make an impact now, and we are not in a position to wait for projects anymore.....

ShoogarBear
05-24-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm all for it, if only because the Marcus Bryant s/n is getting old.

Not only that, the cool NBA nickname for him is all set: The Gladiator.

MoSpur
05-24-2006, 02:28 PM
I think the chances of landing JR Smith are better than drafting this guy.

El_Mago
05-24-2006, 02:54 PM
If the Spurs assure themselves JR Smith in the summer. And if we can land an early 1st rounder, then we should take Marcus.

Either way, I hope the Spurs can somehow get into the 1st round to nab some youth.

jabol130
05-24-2006, 03:33 PM
We are doesn't mean we will be next year. With the right moves Spurs should have enough money to throw at Tim Thomas. Realeasing Nazr, trading Nesterovic or Barry in a sing and trade; all or any of these moves, or any combination of them could be expected. Mickael Pietrus would be another great addition, perfect to replace Bowen. I would be thrilled if we found a way to bring Thomas and Pietrus aboard with the euro big guys in exchange for Nesterovic, Mohammed and Barry.

El_Mago
05-24-2006, 03:38 PM
You just can't release Mohammed and hope his contract vanishes.

You just can't trade Rasho and think that we won't get other contracts back.

Now, we could offer the MLE to Thomas, but Phoenix could easily match.

Pietrus is the man! He would be ideal here because his defense is damn good and his offense could flourish with Duncan and the penetration of his french buddy, Tony Parker.

However, he is believed to be part of the Golden State core.

jabol130
05-24-2006, 03:43 PM
I know it's super premature but I can't help myself. We would get a Dirk stopper in Thomas and a better offensively Bowen like swingman in Pietrus.
1. Duncan, Javtokas, Oberto
2. Thomas, Scola, Horry
3. Bowen, Pietrus
4. Ginobilli, Finley
5. Parker (he better be much improved defensively), Udrih
And how about getting Speedy back. My wishfull thinking Spurs dream team is complete bring it on Pistons, Mavs or whoever.

El_Mago
05-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Listen, I like your lineup, but how do we go about doing that?

Signing Tim Thomas would have been a lot easier if he would of signed with us when he had a chance at the end of the regular season. Now, the only chance is by giving him the full MLE, and I doubt the spurs do that.

Pietrus? Who are we going to trade for him? We don't have the cap room and I am not sure he is even a free agent.

jabol130
05-24-2006, 03:49 PM
You just can't release Mohammed and hope his contract vanishes.

You just can't trade Rasho and think that we won't get other contracts back.

Now, we could offer the MLE to Thomas, but Phoenix could easily match.

Pietrus is the man! He would be ideal here because his defense is damn good and his offense could flourish with Duncan and the penetration of his french buddy, Tony Parker.

However, he is believed to be part of the Golden State core.

Huh, correct me if I'm wrong but Mohammed's contract expires this year. Thomas is not a restricted FA so it's totally his decision where he wants to go. When Spurs approached him after he was released by the Bulls he considered but thought he would not get much playing time (would have been perfect in the Dallas series).

degenerate_gambler
05-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Huh, correct me if I'm wrong but Mohammed's contract expires this year. Thomas is not a restricted FA so it's totally his decision where he wants to go. When Spurs approached him after he was released by the Bulls he considered but thought he would not get much playing time (would have been perfect in the Dallas series).

Nazr Mohammed

Contract status: free agent

What he did: Lost his starting job in training camp, regained it after the All-Star break, then lost it again in the playoffs. He is an effective rebounder, but the coaches were not happy with his help defense. Poor hands also didn't help his cause. Scored career-high 30 points against Phoenix.

What's next: Not expected to be back. Turned down a four-year extension before the start of the season and his role diminished in the playoffs. Should generate interest on the free-agent market. Hometown Chicago Bulls are a possible destination. Sign-and-trade a possibility.

Slinkyman
05-24-2006, 03:56 PM
I'd be upset if the spurs traded scola's rights for a late 1st round, early 2nd round pick. They could try and swing Beno for that pick but not for a guy with that much potential either with the spurs or another team. We need someone who can help now not another players we leave other in europe for a couple years which would probably happen to this kid.

MoSpur
05-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Tim Thomas aka I don't play D.

CosmicCowboy
05-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Jabol and ElMago, I started to rip your arguments to shreds but decided to just laugh about them instead...:lol

Tim Thomas as the Dirk stopper was a classic.

jcrod
05-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Jabol and ElMago, I started to rip your arguments to shreds but decided to just laugh about them instead...:lol

Tim Thomas as the Dirk stopper was a classic.

:lol Yeah, i was thinking the samething and realized they have no clue what they're talking about.

Also that TP needs to Drastically improve his defense is funny.

El_Mago
05-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Cosmic Cowboy, why would you rip me to shreds?

Personally, I don't want Thomas on the team. He does not play outstanding team defense, and he might not come to play day in and day out once he has his contract.

Pietrus, is a pipe dream. He is a good defender and could flourish offensively with some good star talent around him.

I'm in favor of splitting the MLE for Scola and possibly a back up PG. However, I am not in favor of giving Scola the whole MLE.

The LME should go a servicable big man. Some have said Javtokas, which would be fine with me.

Nazr Mohammed....if we can sign him to a cheap deal, I would not mind him, but that seems unrealistic. He might demand a bigger deal than the MLE and we could possibly get a sign and trade going for him...and in return gain a SF....I am in favor of that.

I am also in favor of the Spurs moving up into the first if possible.

FromWayDowntown
05-24-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm all for it, if only because the Marcus Bryant s/n is getting old.

For some reason, every time I see the title of this thread, I'm reminded of the Victoria Posse's various plays on the Marcus Bryant screen name.

El_Mago
05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Chad Ford has Marcus going to Dallas in the first round, which could easily be a reality.

Dallas
Marcus Vinicius Position: SF
Height: 6-9
Weight: 235

The skinny: The Brazilian big man can play both the three and the four. He's a little bit of a project, but scouts that have seen him workout think he could be a sleeper. Given the way the Mavs are playing now, tough, versatile, athletic wing players seem to be in vougue.