PDA

View Full Version : Hillary / Democrats 55 MPH national speed limit

Vashner
05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Democrap Senator Hillary Clinton is proposing national speed limit of 55 MPH..

Email Archives
Print Reprint
Feeds Newsletters

May 24, 2006 -- WASHINGTON - In a surprise move yesterday, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton called for "most of the country" to return to a speed limit of 55 mph in an effort to slash fuel consumption.
"The 55-mile speed limit really does lower gas usage. And wherever it can be required, and the people will accept it, we ought to do it," Clinton said at the National Press Club.

Before sounding off on the benefits of a lower speed limit, Clinton called for a combination of tax incentives, the use of more ethanol-based fuel and a $50 billion fund for new energy research to cut the consumption of foreign oil 50 percent by 2025.

She also pushed for half of all the nation's gas stations to have ethanol pumps by 2015, and for every gas station to have them by 2025.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/69045.htm
Must be nice when you can fly at 600mph in a private jet....

xrayzebra
05-24-2006, 06:24 PM
And don't forget to air your tires up. Of course members of Congress are exempt
for any laws enacted.

Vashner
05-24-2006, 06:28 PM
As if people want to drive to Austin, Dallas,,, Htown,, Corpus at 55?

Remember that shit? OMFG it took forever when the DPS where out...

Took 4 friggin hours ...

Democrats... Progressing America Forward...

scott
05-24-2006, 07:00 PM
I don't think the loss of convience is worth it... but it we (meaning America) were really serious about oil conservation, then lower speed limits would make sense. Of course us Americans like to say we are concerned about oil conservation... meanwhile SUV sales are up something like 40% this year. People are just hoping they can close their eyes and gasoline will magically be back at $0.89/gal.

At any rate... I'm more concerned about the other silly ideas Hillary proposes on this topic (which you posted).

exstatic
05-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Just going national E40 fuel would save WAY more refined petroleum than any speed limit reduction. You wouldn't even have to modify your fuel injector pulses at that level of Ethanol.

scott
05-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Great idea ex... let me know when you find somewhere we can get 3.6 million barrels a day of ethanol from. (US Daily Gasoline Consumption x 0.4).

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/petroleum_supply_annual/psa_volume1/current/pdf/table_03.pdf

Yonivore
05-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Great idea ex... let me know when you find somewhere we can get 3.6 million barrels a day of ethanol from. (US Daily Gasoline Consumption x 0.4).

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/petroleum_supply_annual/psa_volume1/current/pdf/table_03.pdf
What I was thinking...

Guru of Nothing
05-24-2006, 11:12 PM
What I was thinking...

PWN3D!!!!!!!!

fyatuk
05-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Does Hillary realize that 55 mph is not a magical number that reduces fuel consumption? About 10-15 years ago it was the average speed of optimum fuel consumption. I believe it's up to about 62 mph now. Heck, I know my truck gets better fuel efficiency at 65 than it does at 55. It depends on the vehicle.

And it's not like people will slow down. A lot of the speed limit hikes were because people were driving that fast anyway and accidents were being caused by people who were driving the posted speed limit.

Hillary needs to come up with a plan to boost ethanol production without hurting our other agricultural needs before she starts calling for every gas station to sell it. Best way to get ethanol is sugar cane (about 4 times as efficient as corn, which is where we get most of ours) IIRC, but can it be grown in large enough numbers?

spurster
05-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Hey, if Bush can have his phantom hydrogen cells, surely Hilliary can match phantom idea for phantom idea.

xrayzebra
05-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Hillary has ideas?

ObiwanGinobili
05-25-2006, 10:08 AM
Does Hillary realize that 55 mph is not a magical number that reduces fuel consumption? About 10-15 years ago it was the average speed of optimum fuel consumption. I believe it's up to about 62 mph now. Heck, I know my truck gets better fuel efficiency at 65 than it does at 55. It depends on the vehicle.

And it's not like people will slow down.

we had a blazer that did it's best at 68mph, the 4runner ran it;s max at 72mph or 43mph.. anywhre in between and we were losing gas.

and I can't see myself slowing down.

Right now it takes 25 min for Emo to get to work... if they changed the speed limit??? oh my god I can only imagine.

Houston? out of the question. It;s allready a 4 hr drive from my place i nthe Medical Center to my best friends place in Clute.
Corpus?? uhh.. no. They would have to have more to offer to make it worth that long ass drive.

I have two kids aged 2 and 7months.. we are not cool with long road trips.

Vashner
05-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Yea I remember Corpus used to take almost 4 hours at 55 (if you didn't speed). Lot of times on holiday with the DPS out people would keep at 55 ... it was horrible..

And back then it was funny too cause a LOT more cars would break down... they would be all over the sides of the road. Mostly overheats and stuff.

Car tech is so much improved nowdays.

JoeChalupa
05-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I can't drive 55!!!! :lmao

I'm all about saving a buck. My wife says I drive way to conservative.
Yeah, that's right..can you believe she called me conservative!?

JoeChalupa
05-25-2006, 12:20 PM
I just want to get there alive.

sickdsm
05-25-2006, 01:02 PM

Because it needs to be done overnight............

:rolleyes

Phenomanul
05-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Does Hiliary realize that not all interstate highways are as bad and tiny as the ones in NY?? or the North East states for that matter...

The risk associated with driving at higher speeds is mitigated when road conditions are good.

Vashner
05-25-2006, 04:02 PM
She also wants to ban violent video games..

No Kombat 4 U.

Hillary and the DNC ... Progressive for YOUR future and OURS

Message bought to you by: The HANSO Foundation - For a better tomorrow!

JoeChalupa
05-25-2006, 04:44 PM
She also wants to ban violent video games..

No Kombat 4 U.

Hillary and the DNC ... Progressive for YOUR future and OURS

Message bought to you by: The HANSO Foundation - For a better tomorrow!

That is kind of weird since it is normally conservative republicans who want to turn back the clock. I'm a progressive and I don't want my kids playing violent games or watching MTV and all that gangster rap. But that is where being a PARENT comes in.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2006, 05:51 PM
What a stupid bitch.

mikejones99
05-25-2006, 06:28 PM
My thoughts aexactly, another dumb bitch. Out west most of our limits are 65 70 or 75. Probly because she is old and lives in the east where the limits are lower anyway.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2006, 07:08 PM
More like when your primary modes of transportation are plane, helicopter, and limo, and all paid for by the taxpayers of America, it doesn't concern you.

Guru of Nothing
05-25-2006, 09:08 PM
The risk associated with driving at higher speeds is mitigated when road conditions are good.

Think tire manufacturers, actuaries, and all-you-can-eat buffets ...

Now, let's draw some conclusions!

Higher speed limits, which I am inclined to favor, place a substantially higher burden of responsibility on tire manufacturers. Now, assume tire manufacturers work on slim profit margins.

Just the beer talking.

Pardon moi.

Phenomanul
05-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Think tire manufacturers, actuaries, and all-you-can-eat buffets ...

Now, let's draw some conclusions!

Higher speed limits, which I am inclined to favor, place a substantially higher burden of responsibility on tire manufacturers. Now, assume tire manufacturers work on slim profit margins.

Just the beer talking.

Pardon moi.

I guess I should explain myself a little better.... the faster you drive the higher the risk... However this risk is lower if the roads and the fields of vision are wide. Up in the north east their interstates are crappy...

xrayzebra
05-26-2006, 09:01 AM
In the NE you have to stop every few miles and feed the toll booths
also. Just the thing we need here in San Antonio. Yeah, like fun.
But Nelson Wolfe and others want us to be a big city with all the
big city stuff. We cant be just a Texas city. Damn Air Conditioning,
brought all those damn yankees down here. :lol

mookie2001
05-26-2006, 09:05 AM
dam

for once I wish a politician would propose legislation to ban gay marriage in a state that already doesnt allow it

xrayzebra
05-26-2006, 09:11 AM
I wonder if Hillary is upset with the 80 MPH allowed in West
Texas now. Anyone contact her? Just duck if you do, here she
has a temper.

xrayzebra
05-26-2006, 09:12 AM
dam

for once I wish a politician would propose legislation to ban gay marriage in a state that already doesnt allow it

Wonder what this has to do with 55 MPH. Am I missing
something?
:lol

mookie2001
05-26-2006, 09:26 AM
lol

nothing at all

its the kind of legislation we really need, not speed limits

I have a feeling around september, october, we'll see some of it too

xrayzebra
05-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Hmm, had a bad experience? :wrongf

fyatuk
05-26-2006, 10:00 AM
dam

Well, the funny thing about all that, is that gay marraige can't be recognized by the federal government anyway, thanks to Clinton and the Defense of Marraige act. There's already a law on the books for the federal government declaring marraige is between one man and one woman.

Texas had a law like that too, but they still pushed for the admentment.

chode_regulator
05-26-2006, 11:10 AM
my buick runs at 1500 rpms at 55
so what?

Vashner
05-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Typical democraps.. loosing there ass on a subject and try to change it..

Mookie it's ok that your gay.. we understand.

chode_regulator
05-26-2006, 11:12 AM
and not every car, as already stated, does its best at 55. as already said its not a magical number. used to be for older cars but that was back in the 80s. btw though, i dont think driving 15 mph slower makes as big a diff as yall think. i mean a 3 hr trip makes 45 more minutes of driving. suck, yes but not the end of the world. but then again most of the roads here are 55 innc so im immune to it. when i was home at xmas, driving 80, in a 70, felt stupid fast.

ObiwanGinobili
05-26-2006, 11:21 AM
I guess I should explain myself a little better.... the faster you drive the higher the risk... However this risk is lower if the roads and the fields of vision are wide. Up in the north east their interstates are crappy...

I know my mom was nailed by a 18 wheeler goin 40 down the on ramp into dead stop traffic on I-85 in hartford. She spent 8 years in a wheelchair.

but even she agrees.. if Connecticut ot massachusettes want to lower thier speed limit - more power to them.
But Texas and Colorado should be able to do what they want.

this is really about State's rights.

mookie2001
05-26-2006, 01:51 PM
1. I dont think the speed limit would be 55 on interstates or even most us highways
2. i dont think itll happen
3. its not the worst idea ive ever heard
4. i would not support it
5. i oppose the nomination of hillary clinton 100%
6. I still cant wait until october when the war on family heats up

Phenomanul
05-26-2006, 06:14 PM
I know my mom was nailed by a 18 wheeler goin 40 down the on ramp into dead stop traffic on I-85 in hartford. She spent 8 years in a wheelchair.

but even she agrees.. if Connecticut ot massachusettes want to lower thier speed limit - more power to them.
But Texas and Colorado should be able to do what they want.

this is really about State's rights.

It's funny... or tragic.... that you would say Hartford... When I moved back to Texas from college, the front tire blew out on our U-Haul and the road shoulder caused my dad to almost flip the truck into a ravine...

chode_regulator
05-27-2006, 02:52 PM
1. I dont think the speed limit would be 55 on interstates or even most us highways
2. i dont think itll happen
3. its not the worst idea ive ever heard
4. i would not support it
5. i oppose the nomination of hillary clinton 100%
6. I still cant wait until october when the war on family heats up
another great point made by mookie
if he only could get paid for these opinions, he'd be rich

you should to try to become a senior political analyst, or a political senior analyst for one of the major news organizations. i could see you working for cnn, or even channel1

CharlieMac
05-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Between this and getting all Nazi on video games, Hillary is definitely Democratic Presidential material. You gotta tackle the tough issues and she definitely does.

fyatuk
05-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Between this and getting all Nazi on video games, Hillary is definitely Democratic Presidential material. You gotta tackle the tough issues and she definitely does.

Yup, video game violence and too high speed limits are definitely more important that social security reform, ethics legislation, tax reform, etc...

She's got my vote now!