PDA

View Full Version : Suns to move Marion in Summer?

davi78239
05-25-2006, 11:25 AM
I happened to catch that late show at 1 in the morning on Ticket 760 and they were talking to some NBA analyst and he was saying that because of having Diaw on the roster(or whoever won the game for the SUNS yesterday), they might consider trading Shawn Marion this summer. Has anyone else heard of this?

strangeweather
05-25-2006, 11:33 AM
With Kurt Thomas and Amare coming back, it's a possibility. Marion's stock is pretty high right now, but he takes up a lot of cap space.

loveforthegame
05-25-2006, 11:33 AM
It will be interesting to see what moves the Suns make this off season. They have max contracts on Nash, Amare, and Marion.

They need to have money to keep both Diaw and Barbosa. I don't think either will get max contracts but it will cost them to keep one or both of those guys.

boutons_
05-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Mr Chicken Suit will have some big $$$ decisions to make.

FromWayDowntown
05-25-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure that having Diaw and Marion together is such a bad thing, other than that Phoenix is starting to progress steadily up the salary ladder and has some tough decisions to make. They let Joe Johnson go last summer mostly because of financial concerns. They've already made big salary investments with Stoudemire, Marion, and Nash. IIRC, Diaw is coming up soon and will command a hefty price; but the new CBA makes resigning him a bit less problematic in some senses. I guess it just comes down to how willing Sarver is to pay big money to keep his team competitive.

pache100
05-25-2006, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Marion in b&s.

strangeweather
05-25-2006, 11:42 AM

Me either, but I doubt the Suns are looking to acquire Rasho to play in their system. :)

pache100
05-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Me either, but I doubt the Suns are looking to acquire Rasho to play in their system. :)

Oh, I doubt it, too...I's just dreamin'.

ducks
05-25-2006, 11:43 AM
this is the first playoffs marion has done anything
I thought they should have moved marion last year (max contract) and kepted joe johnson

with amare coming back suns may have to many stars and hard to keep everyone happy
(only one ball) one thing though is suns score alot of points so there is room for lots of touches

there was also a rumor marion for kg this year
I still could that happening amare,kg,nash, diaw would be scary

TDMVPDPOY
05-25-2006, 11:44 AM
marion = overrated

ducks
marion makes the max no thank you
I wanted him at one time
but he can not create his own shot
bowen by himself shut him down
manu>marion and makes less money

FromWayDowntown

I'd think the price for Marion is going to be lots of low-end contracts or likely high draft picks (similar to the deal that the Suns made with Atlanta last summer for Johnson). I'm not sure the Spurs have those kinds of assets right now -- at least not assets that Phoenix would want.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Marion for Rasho, LET's DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In our dreams

gingko
05-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Marion = underrated.

#3 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(11.8)
#5 in the NBA in Steals Per Game(1.98)
#10 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage(0.525)
#1 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points(2337.0)

Has basically average a double - double every year from the SF position and is generally matched up against the other teams best offenive player. Doubt the suns would trade him, he is perfect in that system,

BillsCarnage
05-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Marion isn't going anywhere.

Hey, let the trade rumors begin; he always has monster games after the rumor starts.

The Suns don't need to do anything this summer in terms of moving salary. Bobo and Diaw's extensions - if they're signed to them - won't kick in until 07/08.

James Jones will likely be traded to make room for TT if he really wants to stay. Not to mention the draft picks they have, Trade exception, MLE and LLE(not sure though). If the cap goes up to $62/63mil they should have about $5mill under and the things listed above to work with.

There won't be a lot of changes this off season like last. Remember they've been playing all season w/ virtually no inside game. Bring back a healthy Amare and KT and this team should be the odds on fav to win it.

However after next season, 06/07, someone could be traded.

FromWayDowntown
05-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Even if the Suns would consider Rasho on a talent basis (and there's no realistic way that they would), they wouldn't consider Rasho on a salary basis. If they move Marion, it's to spread that money out over more players to gain flexibility. Rasho's contract doesn't do either of those things.

Joe Johnson got a hefty contract last summer and the Suns took back Diaw (on a rookie deal) plus two of Atlanta's future first round picks AND they created a $6 million trade exception. I'd think that's precisely the kind of deal they'd be looking for in dealing Marion.

ducks
05-25-2006, 11:51 AM
I think you have to call about kg
kg and amare would be awesome with nash

amare could learn alot from kg

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-25-2006, 11:53 AM

how to choke in the clutch 101

ducks
05-25-2006, 11:57 AM
kg just does not want the ball
could you imagine amare practicing against kg how much better he would be

BillsCarnage
05-25-2006, 11:59 AM
I think you have to call about kg
kg and amare would be awesome with nash

this has been discussed ad nauseum on suns boards. KG makes zero sense for the Suns both financially and as a player. He still has like $90mil on his contract.

As a player he's another low post presense that needs the ball to be effective. Where does that leave Amare? And vise versa. KT is the perfect center for the Suns sytem right now. He can box out, rebound, is a big body in the paint and can step out for a mid-range shot. All while letting Amare go to town.

No need to blow this team up. They're going for it all next season.

TDMVPDPOY
05-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Lottery?

BillsCarnage
05-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Lottery?

Well, their pick from the Hawks is only top 3 or 5 protected, so yeah, they could be lottery bound too ;-)

CosmicCowboy
05-25-2006, 12:36 PM
I agree that Phoenix will be a huge force to reckon with next year and Marion is a large part of it. That being said, those three max contracts are a huge albatross trying to get good roll/bench players around them. They are only like 6 deep now and that is dangerous. Losing one role player to injury (Raja Bell) in this series could make the difference between winning and losing.

Dunc
05-25-2006, 12:39 PM

Who are you going to give up for him? You have to match his salary, which could mean Parker or Ginobili (not sure what any of the three make, but I'm guessing it to be in the 6-10M ballpark).

pache100
05-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Who are you going to give up for him? You have to match his salary, which could mean Parker or Ginobili (not sure what any of the three make, but I'm guessing it to be in the 6-10M ballpark).

I said I was dreaming. Lighten up.

JMarkJohns
05-25-2006, 12:55 PM
I'd think Kurt Thomas is the first to go. He's only half the salary and won't yield much in return, but take his 8 million and 9 million off the books and that the money necessary to resign both Diaw and Barbosa.

Suns are rumored to be high on Saer Sene in this upcoming draft. I think in a few years he'll be KT's bigger, more athletic replacement.

Tom_Foolery
05-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Why move Marion? Why not just move Marion back to the 3 where he originally was?

strangeweather
05-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Why move Marion? Why not just move Marion back to the 3 where he originally was?

For one thing, he's making $15 million a year -- more than Nash or Amare, and nearly what Duncan makes.

Dunc
05-25-2006, 01:33 PM
I said I was dreaming. Lighten up.

I hadn't read all the way down. And I was just asking. So you lighten up :D

SenorSpur
05-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Rumor has it that Marion is suffering from "Joe Johnson disease". He knows he'll never be more than a third wheel on that team and may want to seek fame elsewhere.

It's clear the Suns will not have room for all those guys once Stoudamire comes back. The question is which one they'll be willing to part with.

The problem is Marion makes WAY too much money and any deal for him would likely require the Spurs having to move one of the big three. Maybe they'd be willing to do a S&T for Nazr, but I doubt it.

I wish there was some way we could get our hands on Diaw, but I know that's not possible.