PDA

View Full Version : Are the Bulls still interested in Nazr?

SenorSpur
05-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Now that the Bulls have lucked into the 2nd overall pick of this year's draft, they have a plethora of options at their disposal - including drafting a center or perhaps packaging the pick and making a potential run at KG.

Either way, the question is how would those moves affect their supposed interest in Nazr? I found this article on Real GM.

DEERFIELD – The possibilities seemed limitless for general manager John Paxson a day after learning the Bulls landed the second pick in June's NBA draft.

The Bulls could do any number of things with the pick, which was acquired from the Knicks in the Eddy Curry deal.

"We'll have a lot of options," said Paxson, who would be picking in the top seven for the third time in four seasons as GM.

One of those options is keeping it and taking one of the two players many believe to be the best long term – Texas' LaMarcus Aldridge or LSU's Tyrus Thomas, both forwards.

Italy's Andrea Bargnani, a 20-year-old 7-footer some liken to Dirk Nowitzki, could be the guy if Toronto passes on him with the top pick.

All of those players have height, something Paxson admits is the Bulls' biggest weakness.

"I think there are very good players in this draft," Paxson said. "Everyone's going to tell you – and they're right – that there's not a LeBron James in here, a Dwyane Wade, right now. But that's OK.

"It gives us an opportunity – if we elect to keep it – to pick a guy we like."

Reading between the lines, Paxson seems inclined to trade the pick for seasoned talent – if he can find the right deal.

"I sit and ask myself all of the time," Paxson said, " 'Are we young enough now, and do we need to get more veteran help?' "

Minnesota's Kevin Garnett reportedly is on the market, but Paxson probably would have to package the pick and at least one of his team's core players – Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Andres Nocioni or Kirk Hinrich – to make that happen.

"I like our perimeter players," Paxson said. "They're all young, they're all going to get better, they all have a unique talent."

An alternative would be trading for someone else with a high salary, someone whose current team has "luxury tax issues," Paxson said. The Bulls have about $15 million in cap space to use this summer.

If a deal cannot be made and the Bulls keep the pick, they might not necessarily use it for height – they could take another guard, such as Washington's Brandon Roy.

"I think sometimes you make a mistake if you just go for need," Paxson said. "My instincts are, you take the best player available and let the other things sort themselves out."

No opposing GMs have called yet, said Paxson, who will plan as though the Bulls will pick second.

"I'd be surprised if there was an interest in [the second pick]," said Paxson, who could have been posturing. "I'm prepared for there not to be."

Duhon recovering: Guard Chris Duhon on Wednesday had "successful" surgery on his back to remove a herniated disc, the Bulls reported.

"He'll be fine; he'll be playing this summer," Paxson said.

By DAVID BROWN
[email protected]

Dunc
05-25-2006, 01:50 PM
I can't remember where, but I read that the Bulls are interested in Ben Wallace. Maybe even to offer a max contract. I dont know if they have that kind of space to swing around, but I've heard talk of it.

Leetonidas
05-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Let's put it this way...

If they can get LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Garnett, why the hell would they want Nazr Mohammed?

TDMVPDPOY
05-25-2006, 01:51 PM
they dont have to worry about anything, then can get nazr though FA, since they are under the cap, they can sign him, then trade the draft pick+other guyz on the team for him.

ducks
05-25-2006, 01:54 PM
they could offer close to the max at wallace
they have that much cap space

I would love for ben to go there

SenorSpur
05-25-2006, 01:58 PM

That would totally screw Detroit, who has hopes of resigning him at a "cap-friendly" type of contract.

Dunc
05-25-2006, 01:59 PM

I would prefer that he didn't, lol.

ducks
05-25-2006, 02:06 PM
pistons have his bird rights
but if he went to the bulls he would be considered more of the man then if he stayed with the pistons

one reason he would go to the bulls ego

ducks
05-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Huskies' Roy may grab Bulls' attention

By Marlen Garcia
Tribune staff reporter

May 24, 2006, 11:20 PM CDT

The Bulls have said time and again they need to acquire an inside player this summer via the draft, a trade or free agency.

Unless they deal the No. 2 pick they got in Tuesday night's draft lottery, there will be a lot of talk about the Bulls drafting Tyrus Thomas of Louisiana State or LaMarcus Aldridge of Texas to fill their needs inside.

Cars
But don't count out guard Brandon Roy of Washington.

Roy is a 6-foot-6-inch shooting guard who wrapped up his senior season leading the Huskies past Illinois en route to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament.

At a news gathering Wednesday at the Berto Center, Bulls general manager John Paxson said he would give heavy consideration to drafting the best player available rather than filling a need.

"Sometimes you make a mistake if you just go for need," Paxson said. "My instincts are you favor taking the best player available and you let the other things sort themselves out."

No player stands out as a big-time star capable of swaying Paxson decisively, but Roy has a few things going for him.

As far as readiness, Roy is viewed as the most complete guard in the draft. He's someone who can help a team right away, which should continue to raise his stock by the time the June 28 draft rolls around in New York.

"He can contribute immediately," ESPN analyst and former UCLA coach Steve Lavin said of the Pac-10 player of the year. "He's the readiest at both ends of the court."

Roy, taller than any player in the Bulls' backcourt last season, averaged 20.2 points, 5.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game last season. He shot 50.8 percent from the field, 40.2 on three-pointers and 81 percent from the line. He has experience and maturity Thomas and Aldridge lack as underclassmen.

All the speculation about potential picks will be rendered meaningless if the Bulls opt to trade either or both of their first-round picks. They also own the No. 16 selection.

Paxson believes he has a shot at acquiring a veteran post player through a trade unless the Toronto Raptors beat him to it with the No. 1 pick. Charlotte has the third selection.

"The teams with the top three picks, we're all kind of in the same position," Paxson said. "We all have young nucleuses, we all have flexibility with salary-cap space.

"Is there a guy out there we just love and want to throw in our mix or can we use it in a way that significantly helps our young core get a lot better immediately?"

Paxson is likely to watch Jermaine O'Neal's situation in Indiana closely. Indiana is coming off a disappointing season and has one of the league's highest payrolls. O'Neal will make a little more than $18 million next season.

If the Lakers were willing to deal Chris Mihm, Paxson probably would consider making a run for the 7-footer if he didn't have to give up too much.

"With the luxury-tax issues, there will be teams looking to get rid of a player, even if they like him, if they're in a situation where financially they have to make some moves," Paxson said.

"We'll be receptive to those types of things. We'll have to be open-minded."

[email protected]

Bruno
05-25-2006, 02:20 PM
A guy to target is Tyson Chandler.
And no, it's not a pipe dream.
Bulls aren't happy with his production/attitude and he has still $55.5M/5 years left on his contract. A Chandler/Duncan frontcourt will be great.Chandler is a reat defender/rebounder and is a quick enough to defend on guys like Dirk.

leemajors
05-25-2006, 02:35 PM
i don't see why the bulls would want to handicap themselves with garnett's contract, and have to give up a great pick and good players in the process.