PDA

View Full Version : Ilgauskas could be center of attention

ducks
05-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Ilgauskas could be center of attention
Direction Cavs plan to take might include trade
By Brian Windhorst
Beacon Journal sportswriter

The Cavaliers will be in evaluation mode for the next few weeks.

They have three picks in June's NBA Draft and four of their own free agents to deal with, but the largest and first decision could involve center Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

Ilgauskas, the longest-tenured Cavalier, could be the subject of trade talks, team insiders said.

It is a complex issue for General Manager Danny Ferry, one that will play out in the coming months.

Before the Cavs make any personnel decisions, they will have to decide what sort of changes need to be made.

The Cavs' defense turned into a strong point by the end of the season, and their chemistry was perhaps the best in the NBA. The offense had its moments, but broke down under pressure at times during the season and in the playoff loss to the Detroit Pistons.

How the team proceeds in this area might determine Ilgauskas' future. Coach Mike Brown said this week that he would consider bringing in an offensive-minded assistant coach. If a new assistant comes in, his philosophy would play into the decisions. If Brown decides to make changes himself, that would play in. Ferry has the final word on all decisions.

How Ilgauskas' talents match up with the Cavs' chosen course could determine whether they look at any possibilities of trading him.

Ilgauskas struggled during the postseason, averaging 10 points and shooting 45 percent, both well below his regular-season averages.

The Cavs sometimes performed better with a quicker lineup on the floor, including young big man Anderson Varejao.

Officials from other teams, as well as some of Ilgauskas' teammates, believe he is under-used in the Cavs' current offensive scheme.

The answer might be that he is not the right fit with the talent on the roster, and the Cavs could look to join a growing trend in the NBA, which is to play a more up-tempo game with less emphasis on a back-to-the-basket center like Ilgauskas.

Ferry, however, is a big supporter of Ilgauskas and pushed to re-sign him when he was hired as GM last June. Until Ferry's arrival, it appeared Ilgauskas' return was not a sure thing for the 2005-06 season.

In July, Ferry got Ilgauskas to agree to a five-year, $51 million contract.

The deal required Ilgauskas to take a $6 million pay cut from the previous season, which helped the Cavs add three other high-profile free agents: Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones.

In return, Ilgauskas received a fifth season on the contract worth $11.5 million that was his option, a kicker that hikes his salary 15 percent if he's traded and premium refunds on a $24 million insurance policy.

Even with all of that, there is a belief that there would be a demand on the trade market for Ilgauskas. Regarded as one of the top three offensive centers in the NBA, behind Shaquille O'Neal and Yao Ming, numerous teams who have a hole in the middle might have interest. During the past year, the two players Ferry got the most trade pitches for were Ilgauskas, who is still only 30, and Varejao, a team insider said.

At this point, nothing is certain except there will be some exploration in the coming months.
Brian Windhorst can be reached at [email protected] Check out Windhorst's Cavaliers weblog at http://blogs.ohio.com/cavaliers_blog

Rip-Hamilton32
05-25-2006, 02:38 PM
get rid of him...hes to slow and not to active on the boards for his height..

resistanze
05-25-2006, 02:48 PM
The Raps could use him.

Bob Lanier
05-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Who wants him? Milwaukee? Sacramento or Denver? Minnesota? Maybe Utah would take him in exchange for Booz? :lol Maybe Golden State or Oklahoma City? I guess Seattle and Atlanta could put together some interesting packages.

Who would the Raps trade for him? A sign-and-trade package including Mike James?

Rip-Hamilton32
05-25-2006, 03:18 PM
naw the raps need james at the point..but they really need a center..bosh is far to small to be guarding centers

Bob Lanier
05-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Mike James is absolute garbage. No team needs him, especially playing point guard.

If I were the Raps, I'd go all out for Ben Wallace and try to get a point guard like Marcus Banks as well.

RON ARTEST
05-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Who wants him? Milwaukee? Sacramento or Denver? Minnesota? Maybe Utah would take him in exchange for Booz? :lol Maybe Golden State or Oklahoma City? I guess Seattle and Atlanta could put together some interesting packages.

Who would the Raps trade for him? A sign-and-trade package including Mike James?
why the fuck would sacramento want him? i hope you were joking. petrie would laugh at clevland if they asked him if he were interested in brad millers twin.

CubanMustGo
05-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Hell, the Spurs would be thrilled to have someone like this. Look at what we have now.

Rip-Hamilton32
05-25-2006, 03:46 PM
lol good luck fitting him into your cap space..and about ben its not just about the cash, you think he'll sign with a non playoff contender team

ducks
05-25-2006, 04:20 PM
I think he might sign with the bulls
15 million in cap space
bulls are playoff team
with pistons he would be the man
ego bulls

Bob Lanier
05-25-2006, 04:47 PM
why the fuck would sacramento want him?
To get rid of that hopeless stiff Miller? It could be a mutually beneficial trade.

I guess he's Miller's twin, except he blocks shots, rebounds, and plays on the block in addition to the jumpshooting and overrated passing. Artest would make him look like Dream.

And Miller could be useful to Cleveland if they don't manage to dump Hughes.

ducks
05-25-2006, 04:54 PM
cavs have 3 first round draft picks if this was a great draft cavs would be scrary

SUCKS huh james!

Dunc
05-25-2006, 05:11 PM
cavs have 3 first round draft picks if this was a great draft cavs would be scrary

SUCKS huh james!

:lmao

Ducks rocks :D

The-Wizz
05-25-2006, 05:31 PM
I think he might sign with the bulls
15 million in cap space
bulls are playoff team
with pistons he would be the man
ego bulls

i dont think the bull will have alot of cash after they pay adam there new rookie

RON ARTEST
05-25-2006, 05:32 PM
To get rid of that hopeless stiff Miller? It could be a mutually beneficial trade.

I guess he's Miller's twin, except he blocks shots, rebounds, and plays on the block in addition to the jumpshooting and overrated passing. Artest would make him look like Dream.

And Miller could be useful to Cleveland if they don't manage to dump Hughes.
i would rather have miller. the only reason he played bad against the spurs was because he played to many minutes in the season. thats why im glad rick adelwoman is gone because he relys on his starters way to much. look for brad to have a very good season next year if mario elie or pj carlesimo are the coach. thats if he doesnt get traded.

RON ARTEST
05-25-2006, 05:32 PM
i dont think the bull will have alot of cash after they pay adam there new rookie
no i think the bulls have a ton of cap space.

ducks
05-25-2006, 06:03 PM
15 million is alot