PDA

View Full Version : A little Spurs history for the hell of it...

degenerate_gambler
05-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Sitting in my office today doing everything else but what I'm supposed to be doing and ended up reading something that made me a little nostalgic. I thought back to being at Monday's game and being fired up as hell about it but yet looking around my section and wondering why me and son were the only ones standing and yelling. It was kinda shocking to me that in a Game 7 situation, it took prompting from the scoreboard or SKelly, etc to get folks up and into it.

It's a different time and different era, I know. Still, it was cool to be reminded of the rowdiness of the crowds in days gone by.

On March 24, 1976 the Spurs went into McNichols Arena and beat Denver 135-122, snapping the Nuggets' 26-game home winning streak. In fact, it was the second straight year that the Spurs had broken a 26-game home winning streak by Denver. Because the Spurs kept breaking Denver's home winning streaks, and because of several on-court fights between the teams during the 1974-75 season, a strong rivalry developed between the Nuggets and the Spurs. Nuggets' coach Larry Brown called the Spurs a "dirty team" and yelled at George Gervin during a 1976 Denver loss at HemisFair Arena. Bob Bass got up from the Spurs bench, told Brown to shut up, and offered to fight him. After the game, the Nuggets' boss said "I don't like anything about San Antonio, their coaching staff, their franchise or their city. The only thing I like about San Antonio is guacamole salad." Naturally, the Spurs' rowdy group of fans, the "Baseline Bums," caught wind of Brown's quote. The next time the Nuggets visited HemisFair Arena, the Baseline Bums were ready. Nuggets' forward Gus Gerard remembers that: "The next time we came down there the people were throwing avocados out on the floor and dumping guacamole salad on the players. When Larry (Brown) went to the locker room, they had something like dime beer night that night, so they were pouring beer over Larry's head. That was pretty wild."

Oh, Gee!!
05-25-2006, 03:32 PM
that is fucking awesome.

dknights411
05-25-2006, 03:33 PM
The Nuggets calling the Spurs dirty. Guess some things never change, huh?

boutons_
05-25-2006, 03:34 PM
and the seasts were $10s cheaper, and sounds like a hell of a lot more fun!! :lol

SsKSpurs21
05-25-2006, 03:35 PM
so we were once like the pistons fans of now.

degenerate_gambler
05-25-2006, 03:39 PM
and the seasts were $10s cheaper, and sounds like a hell of a lot more fun!! :lol

Courtside seats (gold ones) in the Arena the first 2-3 yrs were $7 and the nosebleed seats were $2.

CubanMustGo
05-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Courtside seats (gold ones) in the Arena the first 2-3 yrs were $7 and the nosebleed seats were $2.

Good times ... the only time we could afford good seats.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-25-2006, 04:04 PM

I remember watching games from the nosebleeds with my dad. For some games there'd be lots of empty seats around us even at $3 a ticket. Those were great days.

ShoogarBear
05-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Who here remembers SRO tickets in the HemisFair?

Those were the best!

Vashner
05-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Denver is all dumb.. lack of Oxygen...

Food sucks and tastes like shit there...

degenerate_gambler
05-25-2006, 04:13 PM
I remember watching games from the nosebleeds with my dad. For some games there'd be lots of empty seats around us even at $3 a ticket. Those were great days.

Same here man.

I also remember when smoking was allowed in there. Remember that shit?? Fuck, by the time the 4th qtr rolled around you could see the smoke from all the cancer sticks just hovering in the rafters. Longer the game, the thicker it got.

strangeweather
05-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Denver is all dumb.. lack of Oxygen...

Food sucks and tastes like shit there...

Hmm... that's the first time I've ever heard anyone complain that the altitude messes with how food tastes.

The funny thing about Denver and the altitude is that I live at 7200' in Wyoming, so we like going down to the Denver area where the altitude is lower and it's warmer. :lol