PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Round: Ali Traore?

strangeweather
05-25-2006, 05:03 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=18998&draftyear=2006

Ali Traore
Power Forward (Rank: #59) | 6-9, 240 | Age: 21
France

Draft Projection: Second round to undrafted

Similarities: Ronny Turiaf

Notes: Plays for Roanne Pro A France. Averaging 8.6 ppg and 4 rpg in 15.1 mpg. An impressive performance at the Reebok Eurocamp really helped his stock last summer.

Positives: Traore has the size to be an excellent NBA power forward. He's 6-foot-9, weighs 240 pounds, has a 7-foot-3 wingspan and is one of the best athletes in the draft. That alone would turn some heads. But where Traore stands out is with his skills on the block. He can score with both his left and his right hand in the paint.

Negatives: Still pretty raw and relatively unknown compared to some of the other prospects in the draft.

Summary: Another international sleeper that seasoned European scouts love.

Seems like someone who should be available at the end of the draft and could help us in 2-3 years.

T Park
05-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Sounds like someone you draft, and stash in the NBDL for a year or two.

strangeweather
05-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Sounds like someone you draft, and stash in the NBDL for a year or two.

Or just leave in France.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Seems like a pretty good possibility considering the Spurs draft history.

strange, you're not Pop vacationing in Wyoming are you? I know he's got some friends in the Colorado Springs area that he visits from time to time.

You've credibly defended the choice to go small and now you're throwing out Pop-esque draft ideas.

strangeweather
05-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Seems like a pretty good possibility considering the Spurs draft history.

strange, you're not Pop vacationing in Wyoming are you? I know he's got some friends in the Colorado Springs area that he visits from time to time.

You've credibly defended the choice to go small and now you're throwing out Pop-esque draft ideas.

:lol

I was just reading through the ESPN draft profiles looking for classic Spurs-type picks. The only thing that worries me about this one is that ESPN has heard of him enough to write a profile. :spin

Bruno
05-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Ali Traoré isn't a great prospect (as an example, Mahinmi is a way better prospet). He can become a solid euro player but I don't think he can play in nba. He is quite undersized and isn't a great defender.

There are 5 prospect from France (i don't think they will all stay) : Amagou, Bokolo, Traoré, Mokongo and Sidibe.
None is nba ready and none is a great prospect like Mahinmi but the guy with the most nba upside is Yannick Bokolo to me.

Bokolo is a 6'3" combo guard who is a great defender and a terrific athlete. He needs to stay in europe some years to learn to play the point and to improve his jumpshot but this guy has the upside to play in nba.

strangeweather
05-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Ali Traoré isn't a great prospect (as an example, Mahinmi is a way better prospet). He can become a solid euro player but I don't think he can play in nba. He is quite undersized and isn't a great defender.

You know a lot more about French basketball then I do, but does ESPN have his listing wrong? 6'9", 240 lbs doesn't sound all that undersized for the PF position.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-25-2006, 05:53 PM

Bruno, is he not really 6'9", 240?

That seems like a pretty good NBA size to me.

bpergrem3
05-25-2006, 05:58 PM

The way everyone is converting to small-ball he's about the perfect size for a PF. Is he quick?

Bruno
05-25-2006, 06:10 PM
The way everyone is converting to small-ball he's about the perfect size for a PF. Is he quick?

I haven't seen him a lot : he is quite quick and athletic but nothing spectacular.

Bruno, is he not really 6'9", 240?

That seems like a pretty good NBA size to me.

he is maybe 6'9", but he is a post player and a 6'9" post player will have difficulties in nba. See Scola and people questioning about his ability to play in nba.

TDMVPDPOY
05-25-2006, 08:46 PM
france players are soft, we got an example on this team already

Kori Ellis
06-15-2006, 03:25 AM
Ali Traore, PF, 6-10, 247, France
Traore has been one of the most consistently impressive players in the camp. Last year he impressed with his raw physical strength and athleticism around the basket, with a 7-5 wingspan (it was measured in Treviso).

The Ivory Coast native had a good season for Roanne in France, averaging 8.6 ppg and 4.1 rpg on 62 percent shooting in just under 15 mpg.

This year Traore has come back more skilled around the basket. He's now finishing around the rim with both his left and his right hand and he's working on a 10-foot jumper to add to his post game. Still his game is mostly about power. There's no one here at camp who can deal with how physical he is around the basket. He has such a strong body that his banging in the paint usually sends guys flying.

Traore turned 21 in May, and he could still use another year to polish his game and try to make a run at the first round. As it stands now, scouts have him projected in the second round. But given his size and strength, it wouldn't be a shock if he somehow snuck into the first.

The Spurs surprised everyone by taking Ian Mahinmi last year in the late first. This year, the Suns at No. 27, the Knicks at No. 29 or the Blazers at No. 30 could produce another surprise.

Kori Ellis
06-15-2006, 03:27 AM
I haven't seen him a lot : he is quite quick and athletic but nothing spectacular.

he is maybe 6'9", but he is a post player and a 6'9" post player will have difficulties in nba. See Scola and people questioning about his ability to play in nba.

He just measured 6'10, 247 at Eurocamp.

T Park
06-15-2006, 03:56 AM
france players are soft, we got an example on this team already

:lol

aha
haha
hah

MORON

Bruno
06-15-2006, 04:22 AM
The 7'5" wingspan is very impressive.
My bad, he is way bigger than what I thought and he has the body to play in nba. I still don't think he is a great prospect : he is 2 years older than Mahinmi and Mahinmi is better than him in the french championship. I don't know too if he has a great work ethic.
Anyway, with the 59th pick a 6'10" athetic guy with a 7'5" wingspan can't be a bad choice.