PDA

View Full Version : James' next goal: ``Win the championship''

ducks
05-25-2006, 06:22 PM
James' next goal: ``Win the championship''
By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer

Cleveland Cavaliers' Larry Hughes answers reporters questions Monday, May 22, 2006, in Cleveland. In the end, the very end, the Cleveland Cavaliers were exposed for what they are: a one-man basketball team. LeBron James couldn't beat the Detroit Pistons by himself in Game 7, but in his first NBA playoffs, he pushed his team to within one playoff victory of the Eastern Conference finals and teased of greatness to come.
AP - May 22, 3:27 pm EDT
More Photos

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Less than 24 hours after losing a Game 7 that he has no plans to ever watch on tape, LeBron James stated without a moment's hesitation his goal for next season.

"Win the championship," James said Monday. "Simple as that."

As James learned, he can't win one by himself.

Posting incredible statistics nearly every time he took the floor, James pushed the Cleveland Cavaliers deeper into the NBA playoffs than they had been since 1992, when he was 7 years old.

But a merry month of May in Cleveland ended in ugliness on Sunday, when a 79-61 loss to the Detroit Pistons exposed the Cavs for what they still are: a one-man team.

ADVERTISEMENT
With a date with Miami in the Eastern Conference finals dangling in front of him, James was abandoned in the final game of his first postseason as a pro when he made more field goals (11) than his teammates (9).

Still, James came away feeling good about the future.

"We did a great job this year of making the playoffs, but our goal is higher now," James said. "We've got to mentally focus on getting better this offseason and come back and win the championship."

Cleveland's first order of offseason business -- and arguably the biggest transaction in franchise history -- is to sign James to a contract extension.

On July 1, the Cavaliers can offer him a five-year, $75 million deal that would lock him up through the 2011-12 season. James will play next year under his four-year rookie contract before any new deal would kick in.

If he signs the extension, and all signs point to him doing so, James would spend at least his first nine seasons with Cleveland. And, even at the end of that stretch, he would only be 27.

"Of course I want to stay," James said. "This season has really put me in a good frame of mind as far as me being a part of this organization for a long time. The great teammates that I have and a coaching staff that I really enjoy being around."

James, who will play for the United States in the world championships in Japan, doesn't expect any contract talks to drag on.

"Hopefully not," he said. "I think we can come up with an agreement that's suitable for both sides. It shouldn't take longer than it has to."

Cleveland Cavaliers' Drew Gooden answers reporters questions Monday, May 22, 2006, in Cleveland. In the end, the very end, the Cleveland Cavaliers were exposed for what they are: a one-man basketball team. LeBron James couldn't beat the Detroit Pistons by himself in Game 7, but in his first NBA playoffs, he pushed his team to within one playoff victory of the Eastern Conference finals and teased of greatness to come.
AP - May 22, 3:27 pm EDT
More Photos
Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry delivered a classic understatement when he was asked about James' contract.

"Obviously, we want him back for a long time," Ferry said. "LeBron is a big part of our future and he will hopefully be with us for a very long time."

The Cavs are not permitted to discuss the contract with James or his agent, Leon Rose, until July 1. However, Ferry indicated that the club will be prepared when the clock strikes midnight on that date.

"I'm sure he'll be getting a call or someone will be knocking on his door," Ferry said.

As much as anything, the 2005-06 season was dedicated to the Cavaliers showing James they were serious about progressing toward an NBA championship -- or many.

And, by winning 50 games in the regular season, making the playoffs for the first time in eight years, advancing past Washington in round one, and pushing the Pistons to the brink, they did.

"I didn't think we could be this good this fast," James said. "With eight new players, a whole new coaching staff, a whole new organization. I knew with the offseason acquisitions that we were going to be a good team. We've come a long way in the last year."

They've got a long way to go, too. But with James, Larry Hughes, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Donyell Marshall, Eric Snow, Anderson Varejao and Damon Jones, the Cavaliers have a solid core to build from.

Once he acquires James' signature, Ferry's focus will turn to getting his 21-year-old superstar more help. The Cavaliers went on a buying binge in free agency last summer and won't have as much to spend. Ferry has a mid-level exception, a biannual exception and three draft picks -- a first-rounder and two seconds -- as tools to acquire more talent.

There are also decisions to make on unrestricted free agent forward Drew Gooden and guard Flip Murray, both of whom played well in spurts but could be elsewhere next season.

"I want to be a Cavalier. This was my favorite year," said Gooden, who averaged 10.7 points and 8.4 rebounds during the season but didn't play as many minutes in the playoffs. "I did my job when I was out there."

The Cavs were 18-7 with Murray in the starting lineup after they acquired him in a midseason trade. But he shot just 22 percent (12-for-55) against the Pistons.

Ferry spoke highly of both players.

"We're very interested in keeping Drew in our uniform," Ferry said. "Flip really helped us win games when we needed to. We're exploring bringing him back, too."

James actively recruited free agents to Cleveland last summer. He's not planning to be as hands on this time around, but with a simple swipe of his pen, James could make the Cavs appealing.

"Me signing here, I hope that wouldn't bother anybody else's chances of coming here," he said. "But that's something that I need to sit down with my agent and the Cavaliers and try to get something done."

As for his game, there's little else for James to improve. After an MVP-worthy regular season, he showed he could be just as good in the playoffs by recording two triple-doubles and averaging 30.8 points -- only Michael Jordan's 33.4 average is higher.

James also became the first player to average at least 30 points, eight rebounds and five assists in the playoffs since Oscar Robertson (1963).

He's far from perfect, though. This season, James relied far too much on his outside jumper when he should have been planting his 6-foot-8, 255-pound frame near the basket. He can become a better on-the-ball defender as well.

And, he has to assert himself more by taking over games in the fourth quarter, a trait shared by Jordan and other greats.

"I think I've reached a point where every part of my game needs tuning up now," James said. "I don't think I need to add no more parts. I think I just need to tune everything up and just be more complete, offensively and defensively."

If he can, an NBA title might be more than a goal.

atxrocker
05-25-2006, 06:55 PM
:lol :lol

RON ARTEST
05-25-2006, 07:31 PM
:lol :lol
that might be his goal but he wont be getting one for a while. :lol

ducks
05-25-2006, 07:38 PM
his goal should be to learn how to defend,shoot better from outside, take over in fourth, and learn how to shut his big mouth

RON ARTEST
05-25-2006, 07:53 PM
his goal should be to learn how to defend,shoot better from outside, take over in fourth, and learn how to shut his big mouth
shut his big mouth? i hope your talking about rasheed. lebron hasnt said anything wrong.

atxrocker
05-25-2006, 07:54 PM
lebron did open his mouth, when he talked down about arenas. lebron is a piece of shit and i hope that fucker never wins shit but first or second round exits. i hope amare can get healthy again and run this league with arenas and howard.

TDMVPDPOY
05-25-2006, 09:29 PM
his goal should be get his ass to the SAS asap!

JamStone
05-25-2006, 10:08 PM
LeBron is pretty incredible. You would think at some point in his career, he'll win a championship, probably several.

ducks
05-25-2006, 10:11 PM
pistons,spurs,mavs,suns are contenders for 4 more years
maybe in year 9 with the cavs
when they rebuild around him again

JMarkJohns
05-25-2006, 10:19 PM
pistons,spurs,mavs,suns are contenders for 4 more years
maybe in year 9 with the cavs
when they rebuild around him again

Pistons need Ben Wallace to be a Title contender. They lose him, they lose their identity and their foundation.

Spurs need to get younger in a real hurry.

Mavs need to make sure sniping over contract lengths and amounts doesn't tear them apart...

Suns, see above...

Cavs are contenders if they can get an explosive, pass-first PG that can hit the open jumper, a dead-eye shooter on the wing and an athletic center.

Bulls are contenders if they steal away Ben Wallace and trade Ben Gordon's bitching attitude for a sharpshooter (or maybe draft Redick at #16).

Clippers are contenders if they resign Cassell and Radmanovic, develop Livingston and Ross and add another athletic, good-shooting big to keep up with Phoenix.

Heat are contenders for as long as Shaq has a pulse and is willing to defer to Wade 50% of the possessions.

ducks
05-25-2006, 10:21 PM
hughes for nash
cavs might have a chance at a title

Bob Lanier
05-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Not going anywhere for a while?
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/860/lebronsnickers4cz.jpg

Dunc
05-25-2006, 11:44 PM
^

Grab a Snickers?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Lebron can go all the way sooner than you think. The rest of league have to grab what they can.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-26-2006, 12:09 AM
lebron did open his mouth, when he talked down about arenas. lebron is a piece of shit and i hope that fucker never wins shit but first or second round exits. i hope amare can get healthy again and run this league with arenas and howard.
are you talking about his Free Throw line? Typical hater.

He and Arenas are cool with each other.

DarkReign
05-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Bron Bron is one of the more amazing players I have ever seen. I was a wee-boy when Jordan came into the league, I remember AI and KG, Big Fundamental, etc.

But TD didnt carry his team single-handedly to the second round with mediocre talent around him. Not dissing TD (i <3 TD), Im just saying.

Was the 7 game series more a product of the Pistons sleeping or LeBron owning?

I am loathe to admit, but it was more LeBron owning, IMO.

What does that say about him then? Damon Jones barely got off the bench most games, because Mike Brown knew he needed Snow on Chauncey. Put Chauncey in a Cavs uniform and who wins that series?

IMO, the Cavs are one true PG from real contention. Trading Z for something else wouldnt hurt, but I think Z has enough game to help (not hurt) the team when they do turn the corner.

1Parker1
05-26-2006, 08:51 AM
:lol Ducks is clearly not a witness.

ducks
05-26-2006, 08:53 AM
cavs should trade all their draft picks for a proven vet that could help them NOW not in 3 or 4 years