PDA

View Full Version : Players that the Spurs could use if available at their draft positions.

nbascribe
05-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Okay not too sure if the Spurs have a 1st round pick (or even a second round) but if the following players are not drafted in this year's draft an are available, I think the Spurs need to take a serious look at them. Here are their draft profiles from draftexpress.com.

DARIUS WASHINGTON
http://draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=220

TORIN FRANCIS
http://draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=35

J.P. BATISTA
http://draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=372

HASSAN ADAMS
http://draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=69

I don't think Washington, Francis or Adams will get drafted but if they do, they're steals. If not, then it would be nice to see one or two of these players being on the summer league roster.

Let's face it, Brent Barry and Nazr Muhammad maybe gone and this team needs to get youth to replenish at some key positions.

Old School Chic
05-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Ducks?

Sway
05-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Francis & Batista may be worth a look.

Man In Black
05-26-2006, 02:27 AM
Hassan was the man at U of Az. A school that has given the NBA and the Spurs some of it's best players. Need I remind us all that Sean E. and Steve K. went to the U of A?

Nbadan
05-26-2006, 02:39 AM
The Spurs have the next to last pick in the second round (#59). They will probably continue their trend and go Euro.

exstatic
05-26-2006, 02:48 AM
The Spurs have the next to last pick in the second round (#59). They will probably continue their trend and go Euro.
Exactly. I don't know why anyone ever thinks they're going to draft a US player in the second round. None of them want to wait and play somewhere else, they're NOT ready or they'd be first rounders, so you just lose their rights when you cut them in camp.

Gin N Juice
05-26-2006, 08:30 AM

A few names that stand out to me.

Saer Sene
Strengths:An absolutely jaw dropping physical specimen with his combination of size, length, strength, athleticism and mobility ... Very disruptive defensively and rebounds the ball well ... Has a 7'8" wingspan making him a force as a shot blocker ... Already getting playing time at the Senior level for Pepinster and getting decent minutes and stats ... Runs the floor well ... Great hands, has no problems catching the ball or rebounding ... Extremely agile, he can fall down on the court like a cat, not heavily like most big man ... Very coach-able and a hard working kid ...Weaknesses: Still doesn't have much offensive game to speak of ... Only began playing basketball in 2003 so he's still learning the game ... Must continue working hard to maximize his great potential
Let him develop a couple years in euros.

James White (not euro I know)
Strengths: Blessed with world class athleticism/leaping ability ... Gets up with the best of them ... Very good quickness, and good first step ... Has experience after staying in college all four years ... An underrated passer, he's got good vision and plays unselfish ... Handles the ball well, at times bringing the ball up for the Bearcats ... A good defender on the perimeter with his long arms and quickness ...
Weaknesses: Still very raw. Jump shot and handle need refinement ... Has not shown the ability to add much strength to his frame ... Cannot handle contact, and rarely gets dunks in traffic ... Needs to get much stronger, improve defensively, gain consistency. Has not broken into the top notch college player that many expected ... Has a tough time with consistency and assertiveness ... Why he hasn't broken into a dominant player is anyone's guess, he has the talent, just hasn't put it together...
Maybe a student for Bowen.

Sun Yue
Strengths: Unusual height for his position, terrific athlete, excellent jumper and quickness ... With 6-9 height, he has the ability to play the point guard position ... Decent ball handling skills, talented passer, outstanding court vision, good at finding open teammates ... Very unselfish with pass first mentality, great fast break player and play-maker, accurate bounce passer ... Penetrates well with a good ability to attack the hoop, quick first step ... Takes advantage of being left handed catching opponents off guard ... Likes to dunk, can do windmill/360 dunks easily ... Can shoot anywhere inside the NBA 3-point line ... Nice shooting stroke, soft touch, high release points on his shot ... Can guard positions from 1 to 4 , taking advantage of his height and length to pressure his opponents to adjust their shooting rhythm ... Great lateral speed on defense ; good reflexes as well as leaping ability make him a good shot blocker ... He performs as a help defender and even a rebounder under the basket for his team. 2.5 blks,1.9 stls and 7 rebs per game, the numbers reflect his defensive contribution ... His versatility gives him a chance to get Quadruple-double statistics in games, granted it's the ABA.... Shows a great passion to win other than his stats ... In addition, his age is not in question.
Weaknesses: Physically weak like most young Chinese players ...His ball handling and ball protection need improvement for the NBA level ... As the main distributer (a team high 6.7 assists per game) , he usually saw the most pressure from their opponents, getting doubled sometimes. 4 Turnovers per game indicates that he should better learn to deal with tough defense ... He relies on his left hand too much , though he is making progress on his right handed ball handling skills ... To be a NBA player, his shooting skills still need work, less stability from downtown (39% FG, 25% 3pt FG ) Raw 1 on 1 skills ... Underdeveloped post skills, with his size learning to post up smaller wing players would be a big advantage for him ... Some concern about his ability to guard fast NBA guards ...
Just seems like a lot of potential to pass on.

spur219
05-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Adams and Washington will go in the 1st round. Spurs don't have one.

Parker 09
05-26-2006, 08:34 AM
I say we trade scola, for a first rounder.
We really don't have a current need. He is a solid scorer but he isn't tall enough to be a good shotblocker or a rebounder so see if we can trade up

nbascribe
05-26-2006, 08:34 AM
As good as the premise has been in the past, the Spurs need to also look at the talent in the country.

Lest we forget that Gilbert Arenas was a second rounder and he seems to be a pretty damn good ball player.

The Spurs could also draft a U.S. player that has played in FIBA. If they are looking for experience, there is nothing wrong with that option either.

Sometimes a true Euro player just isn't going to cut it. The window of opportunity for the Spurs is now beginning to close and there needs to be an infusion of youth now so that they can have it available for not next season but maybe the 2008-09 one.

spur219
05-26-2006, 08:41 AM
That would not be a bad idea. But if the Spurs would trade Scola's rights I would prefer it would involve a player already in the league. This draft is not deep at all and not too many promising players.

Bruno
05-26-2006, 09:54 AM
That would not be a bad idea. But if the Spurs would trade Scola's rights I would prefer it would involve a player already in the league. This draft is not deep at all and not too many promising players.

Me too.
Just use the 59th pick on a risky player with upside and put him on nbdl or let him stay in europe if it's an euro. We are in win now mode and we should try to win a championship while Duncan is in his prime.

nbascribe
05-26-2006, 10:00 AM
That's why mentioned those players. Since the NBDL is now officially a 'farm' system, the Spurs could use the team in Austin to get a player ready. I also think that Melvin Sanders may be kept for next year so that maight make things interesting.

Bruno
05-26-2006, 10:06 AM
That's why mentioned those players. Since the NBDL is now officially a 'farm' system, the Spurs could use the team in Austin to get a player ready. I also think that Melvin Sanders may be kept for next year so that maight make things interesting.

My post was about trading Scola for a pick.
My favorite among those players is Washington. He is the one with the most upside to me.
A guy that can be interesting too if he sleeps until our pick is Bobby Jones. He isn't very talented but can be the next Bruce.