PDA

View Full Version : Foxsports writer disses Spurs

zocool16
05-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Sorry if someone already posted this, I didn't see it in the list

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5632492

Why I won't miss the Spurs
Elliott Kalb / Special to FOXSports.com

The San Antonio Spurs, the dullest team in professional sports, has mercifully been eliminated before the Conference finals.

It's not that I don't like the Spurs. I do. It's not that I don't appreciate the Spurs place in history as one of the top team of all time. I do. The fact is, however, that I'm tired of them. They weren't exciting to watch and fun to read about when they were fresh and new to the scene.

I'm glad the most boring coach and boring owner and boring fans and the most boring superstar got bounced. Everyone else in the NBA gets it. The Phoenix Suns advanced to the Conference finals, in large part because they signed malcontent Tim Thomas, who made it clear with his lackadaisical play in Chicago that he wanted out. The Dallas Mavericks advanced to the Conference finals, nearly blowing a golden opportunity when Jason Terry was suspended for throwing a punch at the Spurs Michael Finley in the closing seconds of Game 5 of their playoff series. Now, that's exciting! It's unlikely the suspension ruffled Dallas owner Mark Cuban. The NBA fined Mavericks owner Mark Cuban $200,000 for going onto the court after Game 1 of Dallas' series against the Spurs and criticizing league officials on his blog. Following a Game 6 loss, Cuban apparently cursed Spurs' forward Bruce Bowen.

The San Antonio chairman and CEO is someone named Peter Holt. Could you pick him out of a lineup? Where's his "Trump-like" reality show? How come he doesn't curse players, rip the referees, and take on the commissioner? The San Antonio head coach is Gregg Popovich. He's no Zen-Master. He was never considered for leading man roles in Hollywood, like Miami head coach Pat Riley.

There isn't a knucklehead in the Spurs organization. When Phil Jackson made sarcastic remarks belittling the Spurs' first championship in 1999, Popovich didn't publicly retaliate. San Antonio assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo has had many forums to denounce Latrell Sprewell, who physically attacked Carlesimo late in 1997, when both were with the Warriors. Instead, P.J. has only taken the high road. Which seems to be the only road in and out of San Antonio.

After the crushing defeat that eliminated his team, San Antonio coach Popovich said that the Mavericks deserved to go on. "They obviously deserve to move on. It's a disappointing loss for us. It's impressive what Dallas has done. I wish them the best." Where was the finger-pointing? Where was the frustration and outrage at the media?

Let's move this Spurs team, and put them in New York. New York fans and media would have plenty to say about the end to the Spurs' season. First, Manu Ginobili made a crucial foul on Dirk Nowitzki, allowing a late three-point play that forced overtime. Second, superstar Tim Duncan let someone named DeSagana Diop have the better of him in overtime. Third, Popovich relied so heavily on the starters that they had nothing left in the extra session. Fourth, the calling card of the Spurs — their defense — let them down. Tony Parker said he couldn't remember the Spurs having a worse half of defense than they had in the first half of Game 7. The San Antonio bench players combined to hit one basket in six attempts. Did Robert Horry have one more big shot left in him? We'll never know. Is Spurs center Rasho Nesterovic living in a different city, in the witness protection program? Rasho, after starting 121 games for Popovich the last two seasons, didn't get off the bench in five of the seven games against the Mavericks. In the 12 minutes that he did play in the series, he did not dare attempt a shot. Will anyone in the Spurs' organization second-guess Popovich's decision to play small lineups against the Mavs?

Tim Duncan is a great player. But the Western Conference finals will be a whole lot more interesting without him. (Ronald Martinez / Getty Images)

Avery Johnson, who is a young, head coach that played for Popovich, is exciting. He's exciting to listen to. He's exciting to watch. He hit a game-winning shot to win the 1999 NBA Finals. As a head coach, he wasn't afraid to use his bench. He wasn't afraid to change his lineup. He has made Dirk Nowitzki play closer to the basket, eliminating many of his 3-point attempts from years past.

The NBA Finals has never been won by the Mavericks or the Suns or the Heat.

The Finals have had either the Spurs or Lakers representing the Western Conference for seven straight years. The Lakers always had their share of gossip and turmoil and tumult. The Spurs were just boring. There's only so much I can read about the power forward's free throw shooting or the point guard's girlfriend.

There is excitement all around in the Western Conference finals. It is a Suns player, Shawn Marion, who has the nickname "The Matrix." It is the Suns who are trying to advance to the finals without their superstar Amare Stoudemire. Will MVP Steve Nash outshine his former teammate Nowtizki? Will Avery Johnson continue to get mileage out of guard Devin Harris? Will Harris be too quick for Nash?

And finally, which Suns player will be cursed out by Dallas owner Cuban? The Spurs may be every bit as good as the Pistons, Heat, Suns, and Mavs. They are not as exciting. They are duller. They are the I-Dulls of America. Don't expect to hear too much out of San Antonio until next year's playoffs.

greens
05-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Whatever...I guess it's NOT exciting for a team to win THREE championships in the last seven years...When Mavs haven't even won one? LOL...that's just pathetic. And how exciting is it to see Terry punch Mike in the groin? How exciting is it to see a grown man like Mark Cuban publicly belittle San Antonio and then curse amazing players AND classy players, such as Bruce Bowen...What this team has is CLASS...I guess that's a FOREIGN word to most teams these days...Oh no, now the sex scandals and the dirty talk...that's what's so exciting these days!

Never mind that people cannot appreciate the good behavior and genuine politness and respect from the Spurs coach, players, owners, and organizations...After all, this is probably the only team left that is a championship team that actually has good guys in it...NO tatoos, no sex scandals, no cursing, no malicious behavior! LOL...

I hope this writer is fired soon...cuz that is just a dumb article!

TDMVPDPOY
05-26-2006, 12:36 AM
homer artical

flame
05-26-2006, 12:40 AM
Sorry but I enjoy watching basketball.

Not a soap opera.

Will MVP Steve Nash outshine his former teammate Nowtizki? Will Avery Johnson continue to get mileage out of guard Devin Harris? Will Harris be too quick for Nash?

Sounds like a lame "tune in next time" voice over.

So my question is, would he dare say that the dallas-spurs matchup was one of the most boring playoff matchups ever?

Hardly

And yet hes happy theyre gone. Lame.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-26-2006, 12:41 AM
I don't quite get that article. Some of it reads like sarcasm, but there isn't really much indication that it's satire...

greens
05-26-2006, 12:43 AM
I think he truly means that he believes the Spurs to be boring! LOL...Did he see the 7 game series between the Spurs and Pistons last year? That was like one 7 game Finals series in years! And the Mavs vs Spurs this year has been anything BUT boring! LOL...

Dunc
05-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Retarded article. Funny how he said that the Spurs were more boring than the Pistons.... maybe, but not by much :lol

Budkin
05-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Ok I don't agree with him dissing the Spurs, but I agree with almost every point in this passage:

"Let's move this Spurs team, and put them in New York. New York fans and media would have plenty to say about the end to the Spurs' season. First, Manu Ginobili made a crucial foul on Dirk Nowitzki, allowing a late three-point play that forced overtime. Second, superstar Tim Duncan let someone named DeSagana Diop have the better of him in overtime. Third, Popovich relied so heavily on the starters that they had nothing left in the extra session. Fourth, the calling card of the Spurs — their defense — let them down. Tony Parker said he couldn't remember the Spurs having a worse half of defense than they had in the first half of Game 7. The San Antonio bench players combined to hit one basket in six attempts. Did Robert Horry have one more big shot left in him? We'll never know. Is Spurs center Rasho Nesterovic living in a different city, in the witness protection program? Rasho, after starting 121 games for Popovich the last two seasons, didn't get off the bench in five of the seven games against the Mavericks. In the 12 minutes that he did play in the series, he did not dare attempt a shot. Will anyone in the Spurs' organization second-guess Popovich's decision to play small lineups against the Mavs?"

ca®lo
05-26-2006, 12:49 AM
the article sucks.

maybe hes a relative of cuban

DDS4
05-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Garbage.

Solid D
05-26-2006, 12:57 AM
I see it as satire. He clearly admires and respects the Spurs per his comments at the beginning - "It's not that I don't appreciate the Spurs place in history as one of the top teams of all time."

It is a bit oddly written...however, it's an indictment of our societal need for flash to keep our interest.

rayray2k8
05-26-2006, 12:58 AM
I could care less about him bashing the spurs.
Like we havent heard that before? :rolleyes
I guess hes trying to be edgy of some shit. :lol
Its obvious hes a sun fan.

flipcritic
05-26-2006, 01:36 AM
What is that fucker's email?

rayray2k8
05-26-2006, 01:39 AM
:lmao

rayray2k8
05-26-2006, 01:40 AM
yeah! lets just spam him to death! :lol

zocool16
05-26-2006, 02:05 AM

supposedly this is it:

[email protected]

milkyway21
05-26-2006, 02:25 AM

The San Antonio Spurs, the dullest team in professional sports, has mercifully been eliminated before the Conference finals.

It's not that I don't like the Spurs. I do. It's not that I don't appreciate the Spurs place in history as one of the top team of all time. I do. The fact is, however, that I'm tired of them. They weren't exciting to watch and fun to read about when they were fresh and new to the scene.

I'm glad the most boring coach and boring owner and boring fans and the most boring superstar got bounced. Everyone else in the NBA gets it. The Phoenix Suns advanced to the Conference finals, in large part because they signed malcontent Tim Thomas, who made it clear with his lackadaisical play in Chicago that he wanted out. The Dallas Mavericks advanced to the Conference finals, nearly blowing a golden opportunity when Jason Terry was suspended for throwing a punch at the Spurs Michael Finley in the closing seconds of Game 5 of their playoff series. Now, that's exciting! It's unlikely the suspension ruffled Dallas owner Mark Cuban. The NBA fined Mavericks owner Mark Cuban $200,000 for going onto the court after Game 1 of Dallas' series against the Spurs and criticizing league officials on his blog. Following a Game 6 loss, Cuban apparently cursed Spurs' forward Bruce Bowen.

The San Antonio chairman and CEO is someone named Peter Holt. Could you pick him out of a lineup? Where's his "Trump-like" reality show? How come he doesn't curse players, rip the referees, and take on the commissioner? The San Antonio head coach is Gregg Popovich. He's no Zen-Master. He was never considered for leading man roles in Hollywood, like Miami head coach Pat Riley.

There isn't a knucklehead in the Spurs organization. When Phil Jackson made sarcastic remarks belittling the Spurs' first championship in 1999, Popovich didn't publicly retaliate. San Antonio assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo has had many forums to denounce Latrell Sprewell, who physically attacked Carlesimo late in 1997, when both were with the Warriors. Instead, P.J. has only taken the high road. Which seems to be the only road in and out of San Antonio.

After the crushing defeat that eliminated his team, San Antonio coach Popovich said that the Mavericks deserved to go on. "They obviously deserve to move on. It's a disappointing loss for us. It's impressive what Dallas has done. I wish them the best." Where was the finger-pointing? Where was the frustration and outrage at the media?

Let's move this Spurs team, and put them in New York. New York fans and media would have plenty to say about the end to the Spurs' season. First, Manu Ginobili made a crucial foul on Dirk Nowitzki, allowing a late three-point play that forced overtime. Second, superstar Tim Duncan let someone named DeSagana Diop have the better of him in overtime. Third, Popovich relied so heavily on the starters that they had nothing left in the extra session. Fourth, the calling card of the Spurs — their defense — let them down. Tony Parker said he couldn't remember the Spurs having a worse half of defense than they had in the first half of Game 7. The San Antonio bench players combined to hit one basket in six attempts. Did Robert Horry have one more big shot left in him? We'll never know. Is Spurs center Rasho Nesterovic living in a different city, in the witness protection program? Rasho, after starting 121 games for Popovich the last two seasons, didn't get off the bench in five of the seven games against the Mavericks. In the 12 minutes that he did play in the series, he did not dare attempt a shot. Will anyone in the Spurs' organization second-guess Popovich's decision to play small lineups against the Mavs?

Tim Duncan is a great player. But the Western Conference finals will be a whole lot more interesting without him. (Ronald Martinez / Getty Images)

Avery Johnson, who is a young, head coach that played for Popovich, is exciting. He's exciting to listen to. He's exciting to watch. He hit a game-winning shot to win the 1999 NBA Finals. As a head coach, he wasn't afraid to use his bench. He wasn't afraid to change his lineup. He has made Dirk Nowitzki play closer to the basket, eliminating many of his 3-point attempts from years past.

The Finals have had either the Spurs or Lakers representing the Western Conference for seven straight years. The Lakers always had their share of gossip and turmoil and tumult. The Spurs were just boring. There's only so much I can read about the power forward's free throw shooting or the point guard's girlfriend.

There is excitement all around in the Western Conference finals. It is a Suns player, Shawn Marion, who has the nickname "The Matrix." It is the Suns who are trying to advance to the finals without their superstar Amare Stoudemire. Will MVP Steve Nash outshine his former teammate Nowtizki? Will Avery Johnson continue to get mileage out of guard Devin Harris? Will Harris be too quick for Nash?

And finally, which Suns player will be cursed out by Dallas owner Cuban? The Spurs may be every bit as good as the Pistons, Heat, Suns, and Mavs. They are not as exciting. They are duller. They are the I-Dulls of America. Don't expect to hear too much out of San Antonio until next year's playoffs.how i wish a have one voodoo doll like Spurschick I could use for this one of dumbest sportswriters of all time. :cuss

Moron. Idiot!!!!!!!

I never been so angry in my entire life until I read this article.

This is what we got for accepting the loss of our team graciously!

No respect for Bruce Bowen. Even Finley. Or the 3-time Finals MVP Tim Duncan. It's seems this writer talks like he grew up and invaded us from Moron Mountain.

SEE YOU SOON, Idiot!

MissAllThat
05-26-2006, 02:27 AM
It does almost read like satire, but then not quite. I can't really tell if he's serious. Its just too retarded.

dav4463
05-26-2006, 02:40 AM
This seems like obvious "tongue in cheek". The way it is written is like he is making fun of those who don't like the Spurs.

milkyway21
05-26-2006, 02:56 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/Writers/header/275.jpg
looks like a loser to me. one that's always gets beaten because he's a moron or stupid.

okay you're forgiven. I won't waste my time on you.:lol

Vashner
05-26-2006, 03:02 AM
He makes fun of holt...

Remember expensive farm tractors are normally free or sold at wal mart for 100 bucks... and we are just a dumb 1 stoplight hick town..

signed Paul Tag;

Nbadan
05-26-2006, 03:07 AM
I think the writer's point is that the Spurs rarely give headline material to their opponents. Sports writers thrive on controversy and that's not the Spurs style.

Parker 09
05-26-2006, 04:48 AM
What a Fucktard.
We lose with grace and people bitch we are no pro active enough. We whine and moan, they will call us bitchy and unprofessional.
I'm going to go burn down his house

ginobme
05-26-2006, 06:25 AM
Maybe he forgot that the Spurs are a business, and their business is to WIN. Not to make Nike commercials, not create drama or turmoil so dumbasses like him can have something to write about. He calls for Pop, and the organzation to "finger point" for losing? What happened to sportsmanship? Grace in defeat, as well as grace in victory? These athletes and organizations have become role models for the youth of america. The spurs and their athletes should be commended for the positive influence they have, not bashed by an idiot reporter who's not creative enough to find a story unless it has "gossip, turmoil, and tumult". The NBA is about entertainment, but the teams and especially the Spurs are about winning championships, not winning the approval of the media.

travis2
05-26-2006, 06:37 AM
I see it as satire. He clearly admires and respects the Spurs per his comments at the beginning - "It's not that I don't appreciate the Spurs place in history as one of the top teams of all time."

It is a bit oddly written...however, it's an indictment of our societal need for flash to keep our interest.

:tu

I worry about critical reading abilities among Spurs fans.

People, chill...the article is written as a compliment.

flipcritic
05-26-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm sure a lot of people here can figure out for themselves if it's satire or not. It sure didn't feel that way to me. It seems to be more of a provocation than a thoughtful piece.

ginobme
05-26-2006, 06:47 AM

The writer is asking for drama, turmoil, or "exciting" behavior from NBA teams. Drama to me means means 6 games of a series being decided by one or two points. Drama dosent mean Tim Duncan going around acting like Kobe was in Colorado a couple of years ago. Excitement to me is winning championships, or winning 63 games in a season. Not having one of our players punching other players in the balls (although it was funny). So to call a team boring for not displaying the type of behavior that is generally frowned on by society or legally prosecuted is not a complement.

travis2
05-26-2006, 06:54 AM
It was an over-the-top piece, people! Are y'all trying to tell me you believe the Iraqi Information Minister too? :lmao

doldrums
05-26-2006, 06:55 AM
This seems like obvious "tongue in cheek". The way it is written is like he is making fun of those who don't like the Spurs.

Exactly, wow you guys don't get it. You need to read the NY papers, we have an article like this every day. He likes the Spurs!

fyatuk
05-26-2006, 07:47 AM
To me, this article seems to criticize other teams "antics" and shows admiration for the Spurs workman-like, professional attitude.

I mean, what's boring about a team that if it wants to can hang with the highest scoring teams in the league? What's boring about a team that has 2 players that can get to the hoop at will? What's boring about a team that has regularly come back from big deficits in the 4th quarter (it's the small deficits they can't seem to overcome)?

But you do have to admit. Except for the games themselves, there is little "newsworthy" about the Spurs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Third, Popovich relied so heavily on the starters that they had nothing left in the extra session. Fourth, the calling card of the Spurs — their defense — let them down. ...Did Robert Horry have one more big shot left in him? We'll never know. Is Spurs center Rasho Nesterovic living in a different city, in the witness protection program? Rasho, after starting 121 games for Popovich the last two seasons, didn't get off the bench in five of the seven games against the Mavericks. In the 12 minutes that he did play in the series, he did not dare attempt a shot. Will anyone in the Spurs' organization second-guess Popovich's decision to play small lineups against the Mavs?"

Can't say I don't agree with everything he had to say in this paragraph.

ObiwanGinobili
05-26-2006, 08:21 AM

I had to stop right there so i could vomit.

I'll be back to read the rest after my :coffee

spur219
05-26-2006, 08:23 AM
It seems this writer does not respect the game of basketball. He just wants to see a bunch of drama.

ShoogarBear
05-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Sorry, it absolutely is NOT written as a compliment or as satire.

There is no subtlety or irony to the language at all. There is only one way to interpret a statement like this:

The guy is a mediocre writer who said everything he had to say after the first couple of paragraphs, and then just padded with a bunch of unrelated crap.

austinfan
05-26-2006, 08:28 AM
I think the guy was going for satire, but didn't quite pull it off.

Doc Jerome
05-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Completely brainless article based on celebrating the worst and most insignificant part American culture. It's irrisponsible journalists like this guy that continue to willfully drag sports and sportsmanship through the dung that has become increasingly identified with sports.

Stay tuned, . . .

ObiwanGinobili
05-26-2006, 08:43 AM
The Dallas Mavericks advanced to the Conference finals, nearly blowing a golden opportunity when Jason Terry was suspended for throwing a punch at the Spurs Michael Finley in the closing seconds of Game 5 of their playoff series. Now, that's exciting!
This is basketball, not the WWE. If punches are what he's looking for then he's eyeballing the wrong sport.

The NBA fined Mavericks owner Mark Cuban $200,000 for going onto the court after Game 1 of Dallas' series against the Spurs and criticizing league officials on his blog. Following a Game 6 loss, Cuban apparently cursed Spurs' forward Bruce Bowen.

The San Antonio chairman and CEO is someone named Peter Holt. Could you pick him out of a lineup?
WTF?? name all the other NBA owners and point them out on the street. Do it. Do it now. I did not know that being a loudmouthed prick was an ownership requirement.

How come he doesn't curse players, rip the referees, and take on the commissioner? Becasue he has 1/2 a brain? He knows it;s the NBA - not the Peter Holt show? Because he wasn't some looser geek in HighSchool who is trying to live vicariously thru the jocks he owns??
I guess if you can;t make the team - you can always buy the team eh Mark?

The San Antonio head coach is Gregg Popovich. He's no Zen-Master. He was never considered for leading man roles in Hollywood, like Miami head coach Pat Riley. No Zen-Master? WTF? He has 3 rings and he's fucking ice-cold and brutal. Sorry he doesn't swing from great lined up team to great lined up team like Phil zen master Jackson. And Pat riley? leading man?? GOD DAMNIT once again a littel PSA: THIS IS THE NBA! NOT A MOTHERFUCKING MOVIE!

Let's move this Spurs team, and put them in New York.
"Elliot Kalb" is a code name for "Stern's butt boy"

The Finals have had either the Spurs or Lakers representing the Western Conference for seven straight years. The Lakers always had their share of gossip and turmoil and tumult. The Spurs were just boring
For your viewing pleasure I recommend:
As the World Turns
One Life To Live
General Hospitol
Days of Our Lives
All MY Children

They are the I-Dulls of America. Don't expect to hear too much out of San Antonio until next year's playoffs.
Thast it. the end of the article and he has yet to say anythign about basketball.
fuckign douche.
My 2 yr old knows more about basketball then this fuck wad.

mabber
05-26-2006, 08:45 AM

EXACTLY!!!

ObiwanGinobili
05-26-2006, 08:46 AM
I think the guy was going for satire, but didn't quite pull it off.

no. no he wasn't.
if he had then he would've said somethign in the other direction to prove his piont.

no. he's just a fake basketball fan.

pache100
05-26-2006, 08:46 AM
That writer is pitiful and pathetic...whether he was trying to be satirical or not (if that IS what he was attempting, he failed miserably)...waste of my time...waste of good oxygen.

Oh, Gee!!
05-26-2006, 08:48 AM

I agree.

Oh, Gee!!
05-26-2006, 08:49 AM
That writer is pitiful and pathetic...whether he was trying to be satirical or not (if that IS what he was attempting, he failed miserably)...waste of my time...waste of good oxygen.

homer alert. homer alert. homer alert.

DePastino
05-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Jeez, for fans of a team that won three titles, you guys sure are insecure.

It's tongue-in-cheek. He's using the Spurs as a standard here and making a statement about the rest of the league's idiosyncrasies.

Burn down his house? You really need to lighten up a little.

MadDog73
05-26-2006, 08:59 AM
OMG, you guys are morons. This is obviously satire, I'm embarassed you guys don't get it.

Yeah, that sounds like insults to me... unless you think being a rude idiot is a compliment. :rolleyes

About Rasho:
In the 12 minutes that he did play in the series, he did not dare attempt a shot.

That sounds like a slam on Rasho, not Pop. Again, I'm thinking he questions those that question Pop's "small ball" approach, not the other way around... especially since the whole paragraph is preceded by a reference to New York - in other words, New Yorkers would be happy with a chance to win a game 7, Hell, they'd be happy to even make it to the Playoffs!

But in case there's any doubt:

Don't expect to hear too much out of San Antonio until next year's playoffs.

In other words, see you losers next year, when the real champs come back and win it all again.

Until then, you won't hear any shit from the SA coaches or players, unlike other teams that fire their coaches or totally rebuild after one loss...

CosmicCowboy
05-26-2006, 09:08 AM

It was satire...He raised some valid negatives on coaching decisions but he wasn't REALLY knocking the Spurs...

Don't expect to hear too much out of San Antonio until next year's playoffs.

calm down guys.

MadDog73
05-26-2006, 09:12 AM

It was satire...He raised some valid negatives on coaching decisions but he wasn't REALLY knocking the Spurs...

I'm not even sure he did that.

Popovich relied so heavily on the starters that they had nothing left in the extra session.

Like our Bench was doing anything anyway. We came back from 20 points down, of course we had nothing left. The writer knows that.

But again, if you're not totally sure this guy likes Pop:

Then he goes on to "praise" Avery Johnson:

Those points to me are like, "well, duh." I mean, props to Avery, but it doesn't take a Genius to figure out that Dirk would be a much better player if he was more agressive. And, again, if Pop had a bench, he would have used it. And isn't "He wasn't afraid to change his lineup," basically the same thing Pop did?

I don't want to turn this into another "small ball" debate, but I'm not convinced this writer was really criticising Pop and praising AJ as much as it appears on the surface.

pache100
05-26-2006, 09:17 AM

http://i4.tinypic.com/10qc321.gif

Just stating my opinion. If that makes you think I'm a homer, so be it. I couldn't care less.

strangeweather
05-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Retarded article. Funny how he said that the Spurs were more boring than the Pistons.... maybe, but not by much :lol
I think the national media thinks the Pistons are more interesting because Rasheed still sometimes makes for decent copy and because last year y'all had the Larry Brown soap opera.

Solid D
05-26-2006, 09:22 AM
I had to stop right there so i could vomit.

I'll be back to read the rest after my :coffee

Mmmmmm, thanks for using the coffee smilie Obi. I think I'll go get me a cup.
:)

spurschick
05-26-2006, 09:22 AM
how i wish a have one voodoo doll like Spurschick I could use for this one of dumbest sportswriters of all time. :cuss

Have fun!
http://www.instantvoodoo.com/default.asp?flash=true&

MadDog73
05-26-2006, 09:25 AM
I suggest everyone who wants to comment actually read the article instead of just skimming it.

If, after careful reading, you still really think he hates the Spurs, I'd like to know why you think that.

pache100
05-26-2006, 09:28 AM
I suggest everyone who wants to comment actually read the article instead of just skimming it.

If, after careful reading, you still really think he hates the Spurs, I'd like to know why you think that.

I did read it, thanks. I suggest that everyone who thinks someone doesn't get it because they disagree with you get over yourself. That doesn't mean I didn't read an article; it doesn't mean I'm stupid. It just mean I disagree. What about that don't you get?

MadDog73
05-26-2006, 09:30 AM
I did read it, thanks. I suggest that everyone who thinks someone doesn't get it because they disagree with you get over yourself. That doesn't mean I didn't read an article; it doesn't mean I'm stupid. It just mean I disagree. What about that don't you get?

That's fine, but I'm just curious, why do you disagree? I don't see any evidence in the article this guy is serious...

angel_luv
05-26-2006, 09:31 AM
I read the article and felt that the thread title was misleading.

I found the article complimentary of our team.

And finally, which Suns player will be cursed out by Dallas owner Cuban? The Spurs may be every bit as good as the Pistons, Heat, Suns, and Mavs. They are not as exciting. They are duller. They are the I-Dulls of America. Don't expect to hear too much out of San Antonio until next year's playoffs.

spurschick
05-26-2006, 09:32 AM
It seemed to me that the article was laced with sarcasm. Everything he said he didn't like about the Spurs was followed with some type of behavior from another team, owner, etc. that many would find unappealing.

pache100
05-26-2006, 09:36 AM
That's fine, but I'm just curious, why do you disagree? I don't see any evidence in the article this guy is serious...

I didn't see any evidence that he wasn't serious. As I stated earlier (and I will not repeat after this), I DID NOT THINK IT WAS FUNNY; IF IT WAS AN ATTEMPT AT SATIRE, IMO, IT FAILED. Those are my reasons. Take or leave. :madrun

angel_luv
05-26-2006, 09:39 AM
All I can say is that I read the article expecting to be ticked off but I wasn't at all.

degenerate_gambler
05-26-2006, 09:45 AM
It seemed to me that the article was laced with sarcasm. Everything he said he didn't like about the Spurs was followed with some type of behavior from another team, owner, etc. that many would find unappealing.

I read it the same way. How dare these Spurs be a model franchise of class, team first attitude and winning with dignity.

DarrinS
05-26-2006, 09:53 AM
The guy who wrote that article must have had a bad case of "writer's block". Hasn't this already been said about the Spurs a million times? Get an original idea -- PLEASE!

If you ask me, that article is boring.

NEXT

Oh, Gee!!
05-26-2006, 09:54 AM
The guy who wrote that article must have had a bad case of "writer's block". Hasn't this already been said about the Spurs a million times? Get an original idea -- PLEASE!

If you ask me, that article is boring.

NEXT

yeah, I think that was the writer's point as well.

Clutch20
05-26-2006, 10:01 AM
I am so glad, Elliot Kalb, that your article was so "tongue in cheek"...........by the way, I'm glad that modern medicine finally found a good use for recycled condoms, looking at your face and all I really can't tell where the reconstructed part ends and the real part of you begins, but at least now I do understand the source of your vitrol.

MadDog73
05-26-2006, 10:08 AM
I am so glad, Elliot Kalb, that your article was so "tongue in cheek"...........by the way, I'm glad that modern medicine finally found a good use for recycled condoms, looking at your face and all I really can't tell where the reconstructed part ends and the real part of you begins, but at least now I do understand the source of your vitrol.

And people criticize the article's humor?!?

FromWayDowntown
05-26-2006, 10:40 AM
I'd hate to see how this board would resopnd if Johnathan Swift had ever written anything about the Spurs. You'd think he was advocating for the selling of babies for food with the way that some are responding to this piece!!

Elliott Kalb is no Johnathan Swift -- his effort at satire is clumsy at best -- but anyone who thinks he's seriously lambastnig the Spurs should re-read that last sentence of his column.

ObiwanGinobili
05-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Mmmmmm, thanks for using the coffee smilie Obi. I think I'll go get me a cup.
:)

:tu I aim to please. :D

Oh, Gee!!
05-26-2006, 10:49 AM
I'd hate to see how this board would resopnd if Johnathan Swift had ever written anything about the Spurs. You'd think he was advocating for the selling of babies for food with the way that some are responding to this piece!!

Elliott Kalb is no Johnathan Swift -- his effort at satire is clumsy at best -- but anyone who thinks he's seriously lambastnig the Spurs should re-read that last sentence of his column.

but, but, but, but ...... he didn't say j/k

MadDog73
05-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Maybe columnists need to include emoticons in their satires...

Oh, Gee!!
05-26-2006, 11:11 AM
or simply draw pictures for us san Antonians. pwnt

DarrinS
05-26-2006, 11:49 AM
If the article was sarcastic, it was very subtle and I didn't pick up on it. Reading it again, I can see where it can be interpreted both ways.

If there Spurs are "boring", based in the definition given in the article, then I hope they stay "boring".

MadDog73
05-26-2006, 11:51 AM
If there Spurs are "boring", based in the definition given in the article, then I hope they stay "boring".

I think you summed up the article's point very nicely.

I agree, the humor is not the best I've read, and I can see why some don't like it.

But there's little doubt the guy likes the Spurs, and is making fun of the other teams (except the Pistons - who are arguably just as "boring" as the Spurs.) The Suns are famous because of... "The Matrix?!?"

:lol

jaysmooth004
05-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Maybe he forgot that the Spurs are a business, and their business is to WIN. Not to make Nike commercials, not create drama or turmoil so dumbasses like him can have something to write about. He calls for Pop, and the organzation to "finger point" for losing? What happened to sportsmanship? Grace in defeat, as well as grace in victory? These athletes and organizations have become role models for the youth of america. The spurs and their athletes should be commended for the positive influence they have, not bashed by an idiot reporter who's not creative enough to find a story unless it has "gossip, turmoil, and tumult". The NBA is about entertainment, but the teams and especially the Spurs are about winning championships, not winning the approval of the media.

WELL PUT I COULDNT AGREE WITH YOU MORE.

BgT
05-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Ok I don't agree with him dissing the Spurs, but I agree with almost every point in this passage:

"Let's move this Spurs team, and put them in New York. New York fans and media would have plenty to say about the end to the Spurs' season. First, Manu Ginobili made a crucial foul on Dirk Nowitzki, allowing a late three-point play that forced overtime. Second, superstar Tim Duncan let someone named DeSagana Diop have the better of him in overtime. Third, Popovich relied so heavily on the starters that they had nothing left in the extra session. Fourth, the calling card of the Spurs — their defense — let them down. Tony Parker said he couldn't remember the Spurs having a worse half of defense than they had in the first half of Game 7. The San Antonio bench players combined to hit one basket in six attempts. Did Robert Horry have one more big shot left in him? We'll never know. Is Spurs center Rasho Nesterovic living in a different city, in the witness protection program? Rasho, after starting 121 games for Popovich the last two seasons, didn't get off the bench in five of the seven games against the Mavericks. In the 12 minutes that he did play in the series, he did not dare attempt a shot. Will anyone in the Spurs' organization second-guess Popovich's decision to play small lineups against the Mavs?"
Very well written, I agree.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-26-2006, 11:34 PM
This guy has just shown us exactly what's wrong with the world today. For him it's not about good basketball or good character, it's about scandal and outraqgeous behaviour, cursing people out and worshipping fame for it's own sake.

WHAT A TOOL.

I sincerely hope he is fired for writing dross like that.

davi78239
05-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Yup, it really gets me how the Spurs never get respect and seem to always be getting dumped on. I guess we are always the easy target being mr. "small market" and the fact that we aren't "flamboyent" like these other teams who have big shoe contracts and get arrested or in fights. I guess that's what sells these days and like mentioned above, that just isn't the spurs style.

sabar
05-27-2006, 02:45 AM
The problem is that the thing can be interpreted two ways, as an insult or a compliment.

Yes, he is making fun of other teams compared to our class, but then again, he's right about the Spurs being a boring team. There is no drama and that's what people want. We pull low ratings even though we succeed in so many ways.

I don't like the article much. Yes, it's complimenting the Spurs and trashing other teams, but it speaks the truth about how much attention we draw. None.

ATX Spur
05-27-2006, 05:25 AM
FoxSports is a joke. What's this jackass' email address?

jn77
05-27-2006, 09:52 AM
The article is written specifically so it can be take two ways. If you were mad going into it, it pissed you off even more. If you were indifferent like me you saw the VERY subtle compliments of The spurs Players, coaches and ownership. So he isn't a very good writer. He shouldn't be shot. He should just go back to college and learn how to write an article like this correctly. San Antonio is a classy town with a classy team and the Best fans in the NBA, if you read the article more closely he sums that all up by saying that "the high road seems to be the only road in or out of San Antonio" I say we keep it that way and leave this guy alone!

Extra Stout
05-27-2006, 10:01 AM
My God people are sensitive. He says the Spurs are dull because they don't have players and owners getting suspended and fined; they just go out and play basketball. This gives him little material to work with as a journalist. He's poking fun at his profession much more than at the Spurs. That seems to go over everybody's head because of the San Antonio Persecution/Inferiority Complex.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-27-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure about him but I want a team who wins games and doesn't get into trouble with the commisioner rather than a team who has an annoying owner and a shlong smacking player anyday. I don't know what is wrong with him:he wants a team who wins but has to have suspensions and arguments at the same time? What a dumbass!