PDA

View Full Version : any Apple/MAC users in this forum?

I am Tom
05-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Each day I find some cool software? It seems to be made for the Apple/MAC users. I was wondering if I should just make the switch.

Any input would be great,
Any Apple/MAC users out there?

MissAllThat
05-26-2006, 11:38 PM
I have 12" PowerBook and I absolutely love it. It just depends though. I'd say go to an Apple store and try one out or borrow a friend's. Thats what I did before I bought mine.

I am Tom
05-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Thank you.

The only reason I never used apple was, the parts never fit any of the million PC parts I have laying around my trailer. I would curse Apple when I would find a cool ass Keyboard or mouse and it would not fit the motherboard.

But I saw some cool ass PCs at one of the comp. stores and it had a touch screen and it was Apple, Not to mention I just got some cool software and it says this..........

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1042/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/lm_universal_icon_060110.gif

http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjects/BizCustom?qprm=78313&productLearnMore=MA438Z/A&cid=AOSA10000038918&siteID=ukRUajDh%2AKU-97lj8zR87uhK2e1Mkc3UXA

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1042/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/aperture_125.gif

Vashner
05-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Now that Mac's are basically intel pc's.... and people are running XP..

IMO... Mac OS days are numbered...

leemajors
05-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Now that Mac's are basically intel pc's.... and people are running XP..

IMO... Mac OS days are numbered...

not really, i would rather run mac os on a pc than windows on a mac. i use a pc at home and i work at apple and use a mac there. i like both os's but no one who has used mac os is gonna buy a mac to run XP on it, especially in half-supported beta boot camp mode. apple has a very firm grip on its customer base and mac os is very very user friendly - people who can afford macs are not gonna go run off to run XP on their macs in droves.

leemajors
05-27-2006, 02:20 AM
Thank you.

The only reason I never used apple was, the parts never fit any of the million PC parts I have laying around my trailer. I would curse Apple when I would find a cool ass Keyboard or mouse and it would not fit the motherboard.

But I saw some cool ass PCs at one of the comp. stores and it had a touch screen and it was Apple, Not to mention I just got some cool software and it says this..........

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1042/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/lm_universal_icon_060110.gif

http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjects/BizCustom?qprm=78313&productLearnMore=MA438Z/A&cid=AOSA10000038918&siteID=ukRUajDh%2AKU-97lj8zR87uhK2e1Mkc3UXA

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1042/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/aperture_125.gif

the universal logo means the program is a universal binary - it contains two binaries - one for the older power pc based macs, and one for the newer intel imacs.

Insomniac
05-27-2006, 04:09 AM
so you've been using one for about 5 years?

KEDA
05-27-2006, 06:44 AM
Im thinking about switching over

I like the new 21 inch Imac, that thing looks very nice.

I believe both Spurschick and Katyon6th are Mac users, they should have all the answers you might need!

Al Gore
05-27-2006, 08:01 AM
what ever you wind up using? thank me when you get on line.

spurschick
05-27-2006, 08:56 AM
PCs are the spawn of Satan.

Satan
05-27-2006, 09:43 AM

Word!

King
05-27-2006, 10:13 AM
I use both PC and Mac. But, Mac predominantly. I only use a PC still, because I still have one - but I'd never switch back to PC.

ducks
05-27-2006, 10:45 AM
I switched 4 years ago
It was easy classic 9 is like 98
x is like xp
there terms make since never crashed is built on unix
no security problems
and most important bill gates has stopped supporting ie 5.02 for the mac so you can not use it and no upgrades. so things work better without ie anyhow

leemajors
05-27-2006, 11:16 AM
I switched 4 years ago
It was easy classic 9 is like 98
x is like xp
there terms make since never crashed is built on unix
no security problems
and most important bill gates has stopped supporting ie 5.02 for the mac so you can not use it and no upgrades. so things work better without ie anyhow

firefox works way better anyway. but i think it's silly apple trumpets the no security problem stuff, that's mostly due to how little attention hackers pay to mac os. if it were as popular as XP people would bother to hack it. i think mac os x is a great os, but i will always use a pc at home because they are much easier and cheaper to fix hardware problems for. i may grab a mac mini to play with though.

baseline bum
05-27-2006, 12:10 PM
firefox works way better anyway. but i think it's silly apple trumpets the no security problem stuff, that's mostly due to how little attention hackers pay to mac os. if it were as popular as XP people would bother to hack it. i think mac os x is a great os, but i will always use a pc at home because they are much easier and cheaper to fix hardware problems for. i may grab a mac mini to play with though.

I don't buy that at all. OSX was built on top of Darwin, which is descended from Berkeley UNIX. Apple is built on top of the original operating system (UNIX), something that was designed for secutiry and multiple users from day 1, and has almost 40 years of work behind it. There's absoultely nothing that networks like a *BSD system, because Berkeley UNIX is the OS that invented modern networking.

It seems like so much of Windows is just hacked together. I could buy that argument more for linux, but not for a mature OS like BSD.

Satan
05-27-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't get it, Didn't the Apple dude and Bill Gates at one time work with each other?

Slomo
05-27-2006, 01:37 PM
I don't buy that at all. OSX was built on top of Darwin, which is descended from Berkeley UNIX. Apple is built on top of the original operating system (UNIX), something that was designed for secutiry and multiple users from day 1, and has almost 40 years of work behind it. There's absoultely nothing that networks like a *BSD system, because Berkeley UNIX is the OS that invented modern networking.

It seems like so much of Windows is just hacked together. I could buy that argument more for linux, but not for a mature OS like BSD.Amen!

We're using exclusively OpenBSD for all our installations (This froum is running on it too - since recently) and we haven't found a thing that we couldn't do with this OS while taking full advantage of its security features.

Linux sucks, they are becoming more like Windows everyday.

Slomo
05-27-2006, 01:41 PM
I don't get it, Didn't the Apple dude and Bill Gates at one time work with each other?If by working together you mean Bill stealing the concept of a graphical OS from Steve, then yes they did!

Oh, and btw, Steve stole the idea first from some engineers at Xerox - he did so with the full knowledge of Xerox's management who didn't believe that such a thing had a future (specially since it took a mouse to operate it).

Suns Fan
05-27-2006, 02:44 PM
^ :lmao

I thought the Japs made the first PC?

Johnny Blaze your thoughts?

sickdsm
05-27-2006, 05:53 PM
I don't get it, Didn't the Apple dude and Bill Gates at one time work with each other?

MS licensed it from apple but when the agreement ran out they didn't reup or anything like that, they just kept using it.

I think.

Mac user all my life, the ONLY reason to go PC is if your geeky or need specific titles/games.

There's never been a problem that doesn't make you go "boy, was i stupid......"

Alls i know is this 21? incher desktop that i'm using kicks ass, wish i owned it. Its the one that's only an inch and a half think and its all in one. Is that the new Imac? The sound blew me away, i expected it to be crappy with those built in tiny speakers. That remote makes it so freaking cool.

MissAllThat
05-27-2006, 06:02 PM

This is true. Never once have I wished death upon my Mac, and I've done that several times with my PC. Every time I have to move the thing, I secretly hope that it will get lost or vanish off the face of the planet. So far no luck.

leemajors
05-27-2006, 07:19 PM

It seems like so much of Windows is just hacked together. I could buy that argument more for linux, but not for a mature OS like BSD.

i just think if more people tried, they would be more sucessful at hacking it. right now it is a lot easier to hack windows so they keep doing it. if it were more worth their while they would try it more. but from your post i can tell you know a lot more about networking than i do =] if i had enough money to throw around i would have a mac, but for a couple hundred dollars i can throw together quite a nice pc, so i will hold on to my pc for a while (at home). btw, apple is a great company to work for!

Hooters Girl
05-27-2006, 07:24 PM
I wish they would get rid of the floppy :)

leemajors
05-28-2006, 12:07 AM
macs haven't had a floppy drive for years. they have pretty much phased out the modem too, the only one you can get now is usb and it costs extra with all the new units.

Guru of Nothing
05-28-2006, 12:37 AM
i5/os

say I...

IBM ...

I the man...

Aye Carumba!

baseline bum
05-28-2006, 03:02 AM
i just think if more people tried, they would be more sucessful at hacking it. right now it is a lot easier to hack windows so they keep doing it. if it were more worth their while they would try it more. but from your post i can tell you know a lot more about networking than i do =] if i had enough money to throw around i would have a mac, but for a couple hundred dollars i can throw together quite a nice pc, so i will hold on to my pc for a while (at home). btw, apple is a great company to work for!

*BSD runs much of the internet, including even Microsoft's own Hotmail service, so uncovering a bug in it can do more damage than finding one in MS's code. The motivation to try to crack it is definitely there. Linux runs a pretty large share of the internet too. Apache is definitely the most used server on the net, not Windows Server.

Amen!

We're using exclusively OpenBSD for all our installations (This froum is running on it too - since recently) and we haven't found a thing that we couldn't do with this OS while taking full advantage of its security features.

Linux sucks, they are becoming more like Windows everyday.

I really want to use OpenBSD, but I was turned off by how slow it was out of the box. The documentation says rebuilding it for modern CPUs will do nothing (since it's built for i386), but it's an absolute dinosaur compared to the linux I built. Maybe the ports should be optimized, as in my experience KDE is terrible when installed from the pre-built packages hosted on OpenBSD's FTP servers.

OpenBSD seems like the most well-organized OS I've ever seen. I like their version of ports so much better than FreeBSD's, since most packages have one version and one supported build (if I want to highly customize every package I wouldn't use any official distribution). FreeBSD and Gentoo's ports and portage collection seem so chaotic. OpenBSD's man pages are far better than GNU's also.

OpenBSD's wireless networking absolutely destroys anything I've used on Windows or Linux. I leech a really weak signal, and OpenBSD's ath driver (for my wireless adapter) is much more reliable than Linux's madwifi or the official Netgear Windows 2000 driver.

You have any tips for making OpenBSD reasonably fast as a desktop OS? My system is pretty old (384MB 266MHzDDR, 1.5GHz Athlon-Xp Palomino), but runs very fast in linux even with all the eye-candy turned on in KDE.

I still like linux, but I can't stand bloated distros like FedoraCore and SuSE, or trainwrecks like Gentoo. Slackware is prob the only mainstream linux distro I ever liked.

katyon6th
05-28-2006, 03:03 AM
Alls i know is this 21? incher desktop that i'm using kicks ass, wish i owned it. Its the one that's only an inch and a half think and its all in one. Is that the new Imac? The sound blew me away, i expected it to be crappy with those built in tiny speakers. That remote makes it so freaking cool.

I work on the same thing. I'd make love to it if I could.

baseline bum
05-28-2006, 03:19 AM
Ever since Apple killed off the Power-PC architechure, I've had no reason to ever consider buying one of their systems. OSX is the only thing keeping that company alive. If they're going to go cheap with Intel i686 CPUs (as opposed to the old Motorolas), they should seriously reduce the prices of their systems, because Intel is a pretty large downgrade. Intel hasn't done anything interesting in the x86 market since the Pentium III.

Slomo
05-28-2006, 04:04 AM
*BSD runs much of the internet, including even Microsoft's own Hotmail service, so uncovering a bug in it can do more damage than finding one in MS's code. The motivation to try to crack it is definitely there. Linux runs a pretty large share of the internet too. Apache is definitely the most used server on the net, not Windows Server.

I really want to use OpenBSD, but I was turned off by how slow it was out of the box. The documentation says rebuilding it for modern CPUs will do nothing (since it's built for i386), but it's an absolute dinosaur compared to the linux I built. Maybe the ports should be optimized, as in my experience KDE is terrible when installed from the pre-built packages hosted on OpenBSD's FTP servers.

OpenBSD seems like the most well-organized OS I've ever seen. I like their version of ports so much better than FreeBSD's, since most packages have one version and one supported build (if I want to highly customize every package I wouldn't use any official distribution). FreeBSD and Gentoo's ports and portage collection seem so chaotic. OpenBSD's man pages are far better than GNU's also.

OpenBSD's wireless networking absolutely destroys anything I've used on Windows or Linux. I leech a really weak signal, and OpenBSD's ath driver (for my wireless adapter) is much more reliable than Linux's madwifi or the official Netgear Windows 2000 driver.

You have any tips for making OpenBSD reasonably fast as a desktop OS? My system is pretty old (384MB 266MHzDDR, 1.5GHz Athlon-Xp Palomino), but runs very fast in linux even with all the eye-candy turned on in KDE.

I still like linux, but I can't stand bloated distros like FedoraCore and SuSE, or trainwrecks like Gentoo. Slackware is prob the only mainstream linux distro I ever liked.When did you last looked at it? There was a ton of work done on cpus, dual proc and similar stuff in version 3.8 (the current version is 3.9).
I can't really tell you much about graphical desktops, since most of our work is related to network infrastucture. And this is really where OBSD excels. It comes to a point that it doesn't reall matter what your client OS is, if your infrastructure is run by OBSD things just work better.

One thing about OBSD is that there's still a lot of work to be done - but I really like their approach of security first. Also they have some of the most passionate and talented developers out there, so whatever aspect/function of the OS they tackle next I'm convinced it's going to outperform anything out there.

We recently went head to head with a Cisco based solution for a vpn system for a network of banks (the project included vpn security, routing and redundant communication channels). We blew them out of the water! At the end it wasn't even funny anymore because all of the flaws of Cisco had been exposed. The only problem is to come up with clients who will go through the process of a real side by side test. The old addage "Nobody has ever been fired for buying Cisco" is still very true.

Just a hint for you, we often build firewalls, WL Aps,routers and similar appliances using Soekris (http://www.soekris.com) hardware, it's not really for the large systems but for home/small business it is absolutely perfect (small, affordable and good performance/choice of options). It's something you might want to look into.

Edit: And my main gripe with Linux is the enormous amount of bad Linux servers around. As a desktop system, Linux has a big advantage just because of the large amount of work that gets done in that direction. BTW I believe that MS has now moved their hotmail system onto MS servers, because running BSD servers was bad marketing (I kinda remember an article about it). Well good luck to them, I'm sure they electrical bill has taken a big hit because of that :lol

leemajors
05-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Ever since Apple killed off the Power-PC architechure, I've had no reason to ever consider buying one of their systems. OSX is the only thing keeping that company alive. If they're going to go cheap with Intel i686 CPUs (as opposed to the old Motorolas), they should seriously reduce the prices of their systems, because Intel is a pretty large downgrade. Intel hasn't done anything interesting in the x86 market since the Pentium III.

my girlfriend's dad works for IBM as a consultant. he says the power pc chip is actually an IBM chip that motorola bought from them. are the new intel dual core processors not good? from everything have seen at work the performance on them is pretty good, as long as it doesn't use rosetta, which kills processor cycles.

SpursWoman
05-28-2006, 09:57 AM
http://www.drudgereport.com/siren.gif Geek Alert! http://www.drudgereport.com/siren.gif

:makeout :lol

KEDA
05-28-2006, 11:30 AM
ummmm yeah

I just wanted to get that 21inch Imac or the 17 inch Powerbook

I like the one with the piano keyboard hooked up to it, its pretty badass too!

leemajors
05-28-2006, 11:43 AM
ummmm yeah

I just wanted to get that 21inch Imac or the 17 inch Powerbook

I like the one with the piano keyboard hooked up to it, its pretty badass too!

better hurry up for the powerbook, they are no longer being produced!

KEDA
05-28-2006, 03:43 PM
the new Mac notebook replacement will do just fine by me!