PDA

View Full Version : 4 nba teams up for sale

ducks
05-27-2006, 10:38 AM
UP FOR SALE

Well things are getting interesting on the NBA ownership front; word is as many as four NBA teams are up for sale – The Seattle Sonics, The Portland Trail Blazers, The Charlotte Bobcats and The Houston Rockets. The Sonics supposedly have put a $400 million price tag on the team, and have retained representation to broker the deal, the Sonics are not likely to fetch $400 million, but if a serious prospect surfaces don’t be surprised to see the Sonics fetch between $365 to $375 million. The Blazers price tag is slightly less, at $325 million, but unlike the Sonics that will include the Portland arena. The Blazers supposedly have at least two serious suitors, but no one has gotten to the approval stage yet. The Bobcats may change hands or at least get a new co-owner and word is it could be Michael Jordan. Bob Johnson apparently is struggling in Charlotte and is looking at ways to jump start the business side of the franchise and is looking for a serious partner or a complete buyout according to reports. There has been a long running rumor that the Rockets could be had for just over $425 million, which is a massive number. Rockets sources deny that Les Alexander is interested in selling, but several league sources say if the fortunes of the Rockets don’t improve soon, Les may cash out while the value is high. It’s likely that the Sonics and Blazers are sold this year; the rest is really about interest and timing.

td4mvp21
05-27-2006, 11:03 AM
So if they get new owners, does that mean they could move to a different city?

Spurologist
05-27-2006, 11:12 AM
So if they get new owners, does that mean they could move to a different city?

up to the owner ala Art Model. :rolleyes

ducks
05-27-2006, 11:17 AM
the nba has to approve the move also

exstatic
05-27-2006, 11:42 AM
the nba has to approve the move also
Stern is already on board with Seattle moving. He has repeatedly scolded the city about their dated arena and shitty lease for the Sonics.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Now introducing the starting lineups for your 2006 Las Vegas Sonics...

Slomo
05-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Now introducing the starting lineups for your 2006 Las Vegas Sonics...I'm curious if that could really happen. But I personally would love it! It would probably give me the opportunity to see more NAB basketball, although with the amount of tourism and visiting money in that city can you imagine the price of the tickets when sold out?

Kori Ellis
05-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Stern has already said that Vegas isn't getting a team unless they are going to stop having gambling on NBA games.

Supposedly the cities that are leading candidates for the Sonics move are Bellevue WA and San Jose CA, I believe.

sa_butta
05-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Stern has already said that Vegas isn't getting a team unless they are going to stop having gambling on NBA games.

Supposedly the cities that are leading candidates for the Sonics move are Bellevue WA and San Jose CA, I believe.Bellevue, WA?? how big of a market is that?

Kori Ellis
05-27-2006, 02:05 PM
It's still same market as Seattle. It's right outside.

ShoogarBear
05-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Bellevue, WA?? how big of a market is that?
Bellevue is crazy big.

sa_butta
05-27-2006, 02:06 PM
It's still same market as Seattle. It's right outside.Oh I see.
So they would not change the name would they?

SilverPlayer
05-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Bellvue WA is very likely...it's just a suburb of Seattle while being closer to the richer neighborhoods of Redmond. (hint microsoft is from there.)

T Park
05-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Bellevue would be good.

Suburb, but enough land MTL to build a nice big beautifull arena.

San Jose??

Yikes, no.

Kori Ellis
05-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Doubt they'd change the name. They have been talking for the last couple months. Supposedly the most likely things to happen are that they do renovation of Key Arena .. or build a new arena in Bellevue or Renton (suburbs of Seattle).

Kori Ellis
05-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Bellevue would be good.

Suburb, but enough land MTL to build a nice big beautifull arena.

San Jose??

Yikes, no.

San Jose is supposedly up there with Oklahoma City as leading candidate for one of the next teams to move.

T Park
05-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I can't believe the Bobcats are for sale :lol

Good move by Stern and Co there.

The return to Charlotte has been a HUGE success :lol

Kori Ellis
05-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Sonics Chairman Howard Schultz said Wednesday that if the state Legislature doesn't address the Sonics' plans to renovate KeyArena, the team could be sold and possibly moved when its lease expires.

The Sonics hope to benefit from a proposed bill in the state Legislature that would extend existing taxes being used to pay off Safeco Field bonds in order to pay for a $220 million renovation of KeyArena.

The Sonics' lease for KeyArena with the city of Seattle is up in 2010.

This week, Sports Illustrated.com reported that Anaheim, Calif., Kansas City and San Jose, Calif. have made private overtures to Sonics officials about moving the team to those cities.

td4mvp21
05-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Places like Anaheim and San Jose don't need teams. Give other large cities in states without an NBA team that can support a team, like Oklahoma City.

E20
05-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Michael Jordan is gonna own all the teams in the NBA pretty soon.

gospursgojas
05-28-2006, 12:18 AM
I can't believe the Bobcats are for sale :lol

Good move by Stern and Co there.

The return to Charlotte has been a HUGE success :lol

I couldn't understand that either

BillsCarnage
05-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Aside from Bellevue, which would still be in Seattle, are there really any cities left that could support a franchise long term? It just seems that all of the major cities that could support a franchise already have one.

Anaheim? C'mon, three basketball franchises in LA county?? ACK!

Kansas City already hand a team..

I'd like to see San Diego get a franchise, but they already lost the Clips.

How many times will Charlotte get a franchise? Sheesh.

strangeweather
05-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Aside from Bellevue, which would still be in Seattle, are there really any cities left that could support a franchise long term? It just seems that all of the major cities that could support a franchise already have one.

St. Louis is big enough to support a team.

IIRC, when the Hornets moved, it got crossed it off the list because the owner of the Blues also owns the arena, and was only interested if he could buy the Hornets outright.

They got so completely mistreated by the Hornets that it seemed like the fair thing to do. But if the Bobcats fail there, I think it's safe to say that they won't get another chance for many decades.

cherylsteele
05-28-2006, 10:41 AM

Anaheim? C'mon, three basketball franchises in LA county?? ACK!

Kansas City already hand a team..

I'd like to see San Diego get a franchise, but they already lost the Clips.

This is Charlotte's second team in less then 5 yrs.
The demographics are different now and those cities you mentioned could support a team solidly now along with some other city ideas:
Norfolk, Va.
Cincinnati, Oh.
Columbus, Oh.
St. Louis
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Birmingham
Baltimore
Albuquerque

blackbucket
05-28-2006, 10:57 AM
No way in hell Albuquerque can support a major league team. That city is 2/3 the size of Ft. Worth and has no metro area to speak of. How New Orleans has (before Katrina) 2 major league franchises is beyond me. Vegas is a natural if they can ever get that little gambling thing worked out!

cherylsteele
05-28-2006, 11:07 AM
No way in hell Albuquerque can support a major league team. That city is 2/3 the size of Ft. Worth and has no metro area to speak of. How New Orleans has (before Katrina) 2 major league franchises is beyond me. Vegas is a natural if they can ever get that little gambling thing worked out!
Albuquerque 1.1 mil
Oklahoma City 1.2 mil
Fort Worth is included in the Dallas hence the anacronym DFW.
This according to Wikipedia

BgT
05-28-2006, 01:57 PM
I'd buy Spurs... how much would be their value?

ducks
06-02-2006, 04:06 PM
gm said today they are not moving from seatle
thread in nba forum about it