PDA

View Full Version : The Sought-after Long 3: Draft Express Top 20

wildbill2u
05-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Most of us want the Spurs to draft for need--A LONG SF. Where is the next Bruce Bowen? With maybe a couple of inches added?

Here is the Draft Express Top Twenty SFs. As expected, most of the top 10 will probably be gone by the time the Spurs arrive at their first (59th) pick in the draft.

Morrison SF
21 years old; 6' 8"; 215lbs.
Gonzaga
2 Rudy Gay SF
19 years old; 6' 9"; 220lbs.
Connecticut
3 Rodney Carney SG/SF
22 years old; 6' 7"; 205lbs.
Memphis
4 Thabo Sefolosha SG
22 years old; 6' 7"; 205lbs.
Angelico Biella
5 Steve Novak SF
21 years old; 6' 10"; 218lbs.
Marquette
6 Marcus Vinicius Vieira De Souza SF
21 years old; 6' 9"; 230lbs.
Sao Carlos
7 James White SG
23 years old; 6' 7"; 190lbs.
Cincinnati
8 PJ Tucker SF
21 years old; 6' 5"; 225lbs.
Texas
9 Hassan Adams SG/SF
21 years old; 6' 4"; 220lbs.
Arizona
10 Shawne Williams SF
20 years old; 6' 9"; 210lbs.
Memphis
11 Nemanja Aleksandrov SF
19 years old; 7' 0"; 220lbs.
KK FMP Zeleznik
12 Bobby Jones SG/SF
22 years old; 6' 7"; 210lbs.
Washington
13 Nik Caner-Medley SF
22 years old; 6' 8"; 240lbs.
Maryland
14 Lior Eliyahu SF
20 years old; 6' 8"; 210lbs.
Galil Elyon
15 Panagiotis Vasilopoulos SF
22 years old; 6' 8"; 225lbs.
Olympiakos
16 Denham Brown SG
23 years old; 6' 5"; 205lbs.
Connecticut
17 Vedran Vukusic SF
23 years old; 6' 8"; 245lbs.
Northwestern
18 Arron Afflalo SG/SF
20 years old; 6' 5"; 206lbs.
UCLA
19 David Noel SF
22 years old; 6' 6"; 232lbs.
North Carolina
20 Corey Belser SG/SF
23 years old; 6' 6"; 210lbs.
San

After 'x'ing out the 6'3-6'5' wannabes, there aren't many left. Alexandrov is an intriguing possibility but he had a serious injury and lost last season. There are always surprises so Bobby Jones MIGHT drop that low.

Bruno
05-27-2006, 10:58 AM
My favorites :
Shawne Williams
Bobby Jones even if he sin't really a long 3.
Panagiotis Vasilopoulos

danyel
05-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Rudy Gay? nice name, I can see Gay ABC buying his spurs t-shirt

Texas_Ranger
05-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Rudy Gay? nice name, I can see Gay ABC buying his spurs t-shirt
:lol

Sway
05-27-2006, 12:40 PM
My 2 cents:

Rudy Gay is the best SF prospect but that goes without saying for a top 5 pick.

Steve Novak has great length and a good shot. Seems like a Spurs type player…except for his 93% FT shooting percentage. Ironically, draftexpress has the Knicks taking this guy with draft pick they got from the Spurs.

Marcus Vinicius Vieira De Souza is about the perfect size for a long three. He is an outside shooter with the physical attributes to become a slasher. This combo would translate very well to the NBA.

Shawne Williams was a possible 1st rounder who has dropped to the 2nd round. He has pretty good offensive skills, height, and huge wingspan (7’3”???).

Steven Smith is well rounded player who is probably the only guy in this group we have a shot at getting, if he drops low enough. He is similar to Williams in that he has well rounded offensive skills, good height, and a long wingspan (7’0”).

Any of these guys would be great to fill our need for a long three. Unfortunately, unless we trade up we don’t have a chance at any of them except Smith.

El_Mago
05-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Marcus Vinicius Vieira De Souza is about the perfect size for a long three. He is an outside shooter with the physical attributes to become a slasher. This combo would translate very well to the NBA.

De Souza has been rail thin, and up into this year has put on some weight; however, his body is still not good enough to be a consistent slasher. He needs to bulk up a bit more...if he does....then his foot speed and arm length will make him a threat slashing to the rim, but unless he puts on some more build, everytime he he gets popped by an NBA Body, he will just be reminded to stick around the perimeter like he normally does.

beachbarbie948
05-27-2006, 11:52 PM
too bad we can't get Morrison

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2006, 12:06 AM
I can't see that the solution to the problem is going to be a draft choice. I'd expect that the Spurs (absent a move into the first round) will just draft another kid who can spend a few years in Europe developing into a player.

aaronstampler
05-28-2006, 06:02 AM
too bad we can't get Morrison

Well, he'd make us better on offense, but I don't think he'd be any help guarding Dirk either. Frankly, I think with the rules the way they are, Dirk is pretty much unguardable by anybody on the planet. Just guard the other guys and let him get his 35-40.

So sure, lets get Morrison. All we have to do is give up our 1st round draft picks from now until Manu's kid is in the league.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2006, 06:06 AM
Anyone looking for immediate help should not be looking at the draft.

spursparker9
05-28-2006, 06:08 AM
trade for gay

wildbill2u
05-28-2006, 07:48 AM
My 2 cents:

Rudy Gay is the best SF prospect but that goes without saying for a top 5 pick.

Steve Novak has great length and a good shot. Seems like a Spurs type player…except for his 93% FT shooting percentage. Ironically, draftexpress has the Knicks taking this guy with draft pick they got from the Spurs.

Shawne Williams was a possible 1st rounder who has dropped to the 2nd round. He has pretty good offensive skills, height, and huge wingspan (7’3”???).

Steven Smith is well rounded player who is probably the only guy in this group we have a shot at getting, if he drops low enough. He is similar to Williams in that he has well rounded offensive skills, good height, and a long wingspan (7’0”).

Any of these guys would be great to fill our need for a long three. Unfortunately, unless we trade up we don’t have a chance at any of them except Smith.

That's my point in a way. If you go to all the mock drafts, all these guys will be gone by the time the Spurs get to their first pick. We don't have anyone who you could trade for a 'top ten' player draft slot so why even have a wish list of these guys.

But some of the bottom twenty will still be there in the 2nd round. Who do you like? We have to pick someone.

Streakyshooter08
05-28-2006, 08:31 AM

Who is that guy? Is he really a SF, if so, how is his defense and how quick is he? Can he shoot? Will he be a early pick? It sounds intriguing having a 7' 0 SF...

Thanks for your help...

Bruno
05-28-2006, 09:24 AM

Who is that guy? Is he really a SF, if so, how is his defense and how quick is he? Can he shoot? Will he be a early pick? It sounds intriguing having a 7' 0 SF...

Thanks for your help...

Frome draftexpress :

American agent has been telling us all year that he’s likely to enter. Still hasn’t played a game this year after taking slow recovery process from torn ACL. Once regarded as a prodigy and potential #1 overall pick, but injuries mean he hasn’t played in nearly two years and is now considered damaged goods. Might just look for an attractive team to guarantee him in the 2nd round and develop him in the NBDL.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=37

strangeweather
05-28-2006, 12:39 PM

Thanks for your help...

From ESPN:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=18845&draftyear=2006

Nemanja Aleksandrov
Small Forward (Rank: #47) | 6-10, 225 | Age: 19
Serbia (Belgrade, Serbia)

Draft Projection: Second round

Notes: He was projected all last season as a contender for the No. 1 overall pick before an ACL injury ended his season prematurely. Aleksandrov burst onto the scene in the summer of 2003 when he had a breakout performance at the annual Big Man camp in Treviso, Italy. Aleksandrov played to mixed reviews at the 2004 Reebok Eurocamp and the Under 18 Championships in Zaragoza two summers ago. In both tournaments, he struggled with his perimeter shot and looked passive much of the time. He did, however, have a breakout 22-point game in front of a gym full of scouts in Croatia last season before tearing his ACL. Aleksandrov did declare for the draft last season, but withdrew his name when it was clear he wasn't healthy enough to work out for teams.

Positives: He's one of the most skilled big men you'll ever find at his age. He has a very good 3-point shot, good athleticism (though just a 24-inch vertical), a great handle and great feet in the paint. During the 5-on-5 junior tournament, Insider saw him put several moves on in the paint that were reminiscent of Kevin Garnett. He's quick and a real matchup problem on offense.

Negatives: The issue with Aleksandrov has always been heart. He often coasts in games, doesn't always defend and will disappear for large chunks of the game. He seems to be able to turn it on and off at will, but that's a scary attribute in a top prospect like this. Considering that he hasn't played a game since his ACL injury last season, he's a bigger question mark than ever.

Summary: Will the real Nemanja Aleksandrov please stand up? We've seen him look like a future No. 1 pick and look undraftable in the same year. He's going to have to put together a solid, injury-free season before he'll get a serious look from scouts again. Teams just are much less willing to take gambles on young Euros with lots of tools and no experience. He's entering the draft again this year, but it will probably more to get scouts reaquainted with him. If he stayed in the draft, someone would grab him in the second round because of his potential. But there's no way his agent, David Bauman, would let him stay in the draft without a good first-round guarantee.

Pass. Bigtime.

El_Mago
05-28-2006, 01:03 PM
No, you don't pass on Alexsandrov if he is still on the board at 50 something.

Actually, I am pretty positive no one will.

This kid before the ACL injury was the sure-fire number 1 pick.

It's been rough for him because he had been hyped up as the number 1 pick, and he had set himself up for that, and then the injury occurred....talk about a huge let down.

Now, you may say.....what a fragile mind, should be motivated to come back, etc.....but he was only a kid still when the injury happened, and pretty much still is at 19.

His talent is unbelievable. Has probably one of the best strokes in the game over in Europe....thats counting everyone from PG through C. His fundamentals are precise and his moves down low are smooth.

Is he really a SF? Yes. He is quick, long, and can guard typical SF defenders.

Now, the only way the Spurs can land Nemanja is if they move up in the draft which is possible. He should still be around through 25-35, unless he has amazing workouts and some team 15-25 gives him a promise, which is likely as well...

I would of considered him as a possible Spurs draft pick, but that would have been a pipe dream because unless the Spurs move up, he won't be there.....he's just too damn good and too much talent to pass up.

Would be nice to have him though.

strangeweather
05-28-2006, 01:07 PM
No, you don't pass on Alexsandrov if he is still on the board at 50 something.

Actually, I am pretty positive no one will.

This kid before the ACL injury was the sure-fire number 1 pick.

It's been rough for him because he had been hyped up as the number 1 pick, and he had set himself up for that, and then the injury occurred....talk about a huge let down.

Now, you may say.....what a fragile mind, should be motivated to come back, etc.....but he was only a kid still when the injury happened, and pretty much still is at 19.

His talent is unbelievable. Has probably one of the best strokes in the game over in Europe....thats counting everyone from PG through C. His fundamentals are precise and his moves down low are smooth.

Is he really a SF? Yes. He is quick, long, and can guard typical SF defenders.

Now, the only way the Spurs can land Nemanja is if they move up in the draft which is possible. He should still be around through 25-35, unless he has amazing workouts and some team 15-25 gives him a promise, which is likely as well...

I would of considered him as a possible Spurs draft pick, but that would have been a pipe dream because unless the Spurs move up, he won't be there.....he's just too damn good and too much talent to pass up.

Would be nice to have him though.

I don't care how much talent he has. I don't want anyone who plays with the heart of Jerome James.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2006, 01:11 PM
I don't care how much talent he has. I don't want anyone who plays with the heart of Jerome James.

People said the same thing about Stephen Jackson and Glenn Robinson before they came to the Spurs.

El_Mago
05-28-2006, 01:40 PM
People said Mike Finley couldn't guard and wouldn't show up in the playoffs.

One again, Glenn Robinson and Stephen Jackson had no heart and couldn't be worked with, Nick Van Exel would be a headache, etc.....

If the players have talent, and the coaching staff believes in them, thats all that matters.

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2006, 02:15 PM
People said the same thing about Stephen Jackson and Glenn Robinson before they came to the Spurs.

and Hedo Turkoglu.

Streakyshooter08
05-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the info on Aleksandrov! I am really curious to see what the Spurs will do...

El_Mago
05-28-2006, 03:12 PM
If the Spurs can land Nemanja I would be extremely excited.

He's young, but can flourish in Europe some more, eventhough his game is pretty polished right now. I am confident that whatever teams get's Alexsandrov they have found themselves a role player at the very least, but he has no ceiling.

wildbill2u
05-28-2006, 03:28 PM
We've taken longer shots with players with far less upside. I don't know if the braintrust would trade some player like Scola to move up and take him, but if we could manage a 'sign and trade' with Nazr, why not give it a try.

And if he was still on the Board at 59, I'd be very disappointed if we didn't. The worst he could be is Sean Marks with a Russian accent.

El_Mago
05-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Nemanja is a great talent...if the Spurs brain trust can somehow grab him...they will not be disappointed.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2006, 03:51 PM
I am intrigued by Sun Yue. Seems like a taller, Chinese Boris Diaw in the making. At #59 he'd be a no-brainer. Might even be worth moving up for.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2006-03/22547273.jpg

El_Mago
05-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Don't know much about him?

What do you know....

SenorSpur
05-28-2006, 04:13 PM
We've taken longer shots with players with far less upside. I don't know if the braintrust would trade some player like Scola to move up and take him, but if we could manage a 'sign and trade' with Nazr, why not give it a try.

And if he was still on the Board at 59, I'd be very disappointed if we didn't. The worst he could be is Sean Marks with a Russian accent.

Hell, if Rudy Gay is projected to be available at 5 or 6, the Spurs would be foolish not to try and acquire a pick (perhaps Minny's) and obtain this guy. Package up Scola or anyone else (except for the big three of course) and get this done.

Just once, I'd like to see the Spurs invest in a proven college player with the skills and tempermant that translates into the NBA game. I'm still pissed at them passing over Josh Howard back in 2003 - but I digress.

Bruno
05-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Hell, if Rudy Gay is projected to be available at 5 or 6, the Spurs would be foolish not to try and acquire a pick (perhaps Minny's) and obtain this guy. Package up Scola or anyone else (except for the big three of course) and get this done.

I don't see how we can get a top 5 pick without trading one guy of the big 3.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Sun Yue is about 6'9" 200lbs and has played on a Chinese team in the ABA this season. Still has alot to learn, but any 20 year old playing the point at that height and getting 2-3 blocks a game in any league gets my #59 by default.

SenorSpur
05-28-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't see how we can get a top 5 pick without trading one guy of the big 3.

Minny is claiming to be in search of a veteran. Perhaps they'd be interested in Mohammed, Barry and some other package. It certainly would be tough to negotiate, but they should at least have the conversation.

El_Mago
05-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Minny is no longer in the same Division, but I highly doubt they would want to trade with us.

But even at 6, Gay is not a gurantee.

intlspurshk
05-28-2006, 10:07 PM
IF Nemanja Aleksandrov is available, just get him right away. He is too much talent to be given up.

Gin N Juice
05-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Sun Yue is about 6'9" 200lbs and has played on a Chinese team in the ABA this season. Still has alot to learn, but any 20 year old playing the point at that height and getting 2-3 blocks a game in any league gets my #59 by default.

My exact thoughts on this guy, if he's available at #59 take him and let him develop overseas.
The Lakers are interested in him as well.

Sun Yue
Strengths: Unusual height for his position, terrific athlete, excellent jumper and quickness ... With 6-9 height, he has the ability to play the point guard position ... Decent ball handling skills, talented passer, outstanding court vision, good at finding open teammates ... Very unselfish with pass first mentality, great fast break player and play-maker, accurate bounce passer ... Penetrates well with a good ability to attack the hoop, quick first step ... Takes advantage of being left handed catching opponents off guard ... Likes to dunk, can do windmill/360 dunks easily ... Can shoot anywhere inside the NBA 3-point line ... Nice shooting stroke, soft touch, high release points on his shot ... Can guard positions from 1 to 4 , taking advantage of his height and length to pressure his opponents to adjust their shooting rhythm ... Great lateral speed on defense ; good reflexes as well as leaping ability make him a good shot blocker ... He performs as a help defender and even a rebounder under the basket for his team. 2.5 blks,1.9 stls and 7 rebs per game, the numbers reflect his defensive contribution ... His versatility gives him a chance to get Quadruple-double statistics in games, granted it's the ABA.... Shows a great passion to win other than his stats ... In addition, his age is not in question.
Weaknesses: Physically weak like most young Chinese players ...His ball handling and ball protection need improvement for the NBA level ... As the main distributer (a team high 6.7 assists per game) , he usually saw the most pressure from their opponents, getting doubled sometimes. 4 Turnovers per game indicates that he should better learn to deal with tough defense ... He relies on his left hand too much , though he is making progress on his right handed ball handling skills ... To be a NBA player, his shooting skills still need work, less stability from downtown (39% FG, 25% 3pt FG ) Raw 1 on 1 skills ... Underdeveloped post skills, with his size learning to post up smaller wing players would be a big advantage for him ... Some concern about his ability to guard fast NBA guards ...

Bruno
06-02-2006, 05:56 PM
7 James White SG
23 years old; 6' 7"; 190lbs.
Cincinnati

James White will have a workout with Spurs on June 19th.

Spurologist
06-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Nik Caner Medley from Maryland might be worth a look

ploto
06-02-2006, 06:43 PM
He's Serbian.

http://www.mytravelguide.com/g/maps/Eastern-Europe-map.gif

Mr. Body
06-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Aleksandrov won't be around that late in the 2nd, if he sticks in the draft. Of course the Spurs would nab him if he was there - but so would every other team in front of them.

Bobby Jones is likely on the Spurs' radar, but they miss him by about five to eight picks, as most mocks go.

redskinfan
06-02-2006, 06:48 PM
I am intrigued by Sun Yue. Seems like a taller, Chinese Boris Diaw in the making. At #59 he'd be a no-brainer. Might even be worth moving up for.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2006-03/22547273.jpg

this dude would be perfect , if Rasho is still with us and starting he might get elected to the All-Star game knowing how the chinese vote for the rockets and ming yao :smokin

Slinkyman
06-05-2006, 12:21 PM
The Spurs are scheduled to work out James White June 19th.

Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/workout.php?sort=0&pid=0&tid=20)

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Which means James White will not be a Spur.

boutons_
06-05-2006, 12:32 PM
He's Serbian.

http://www.mytravelguide.com/g/maps/Eastern-Europe-map.gifMap is out of date. Why? :)

Extra Stout
06-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Map is out of date. Why? :)
S & M are now separate fetishes.

Mr. Body
06-05-2006, 01:25 PM
You jump on Aleksandrov if you can. He's a potential franchise player. That would be genius. But...