05-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Plasma HD 50in+

Slomo
05-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Plasma HD 50in+I second that.

Bit on the pricey side though....

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Mitsu 52" DLP and the picture is tough to beat. Panny's have a nice picture as well. Samsung has had lamp issues in the past.

Check out AVS Forums...

ZStomp
05-27-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm leaning toward Plasma......

What brands make the better typels?

05-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Which one?

EDIT: Start here:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/top10.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40

DannyT
05-27-2006, 05:25 PM
I didnt buy into at first but mitshu has the best screens...dont fall for a named brand like sony....HD is is the way to go although there arent many channels available on HD we are deffinetly headed that way with the deadline on analog...SPURS GAMES ON HD 57'' ROCK!!!

But just like you aint shit with your homeboys you aint shit with out a SOUND SYSTEM

Kori Ellis
05-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Plamas over 50" are still pretty expensive.

I'm going to wait another year or so for the price to go down.

In the meantime, we have a 65" Hitachi HDTV and the picture is awesome.

midgetonadonkey
05-27-2006, 05:27 PM
I have an 26' LCD and the picture is amazing. It beat the hell out of my old 52' projection HDTV.

cherylsteele
05-27-2006, 10:14 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/TV_Antik_copy.jpg

Zombie
05-27-2006, 10:15 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/TV_Antik_copy.jpg
You did good, you have no need for pliers to change the channel! :spin

JoeChalupa
05-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Ask Bjorne..just Bjorne

SequSpur
05-28-2006, 12:32 AM
When I was a kid, I had a TV like that. No fucking remote but.............

I took a stick off of a tree and split the end so I could use it from 6 feet away, I never had to get up..

I think I invented the first remote control.

Manlaw.

Nbadan
05-28-2006, 12:53 AM
I just bought a 27" LCD (HD) at Conns for $700+tax.

ZStomp
05-28-2006, 02:32 AM
I have DirecTV and called them to ask some questions.... If I get a HD TV and want to get their HD service- I would have to buy a HD Receiver...for like $400!!!!!!!!

On second thought, maybe I won't get a new TV!! :lol

Silver21_Black20
05-28-2006, 02:38 AM
Aw...that sucks.

jaffies
05-28-2006, 03:56 AM
1080p LCD or sxrd

Slomo
05-28-2006, 04:26 AM
For a more serious answer.

Back projection TVs are cheaper but most of them have a lower picture quality. If you go for one of these a DLP projector is better (and btw 3 dlp > 2 dlp >1 dlp), also look at the screen itself the picture depends a lot on the quality of the projection screen itself. The one that Kori has is one of the best I've ever seen (and I see a lot of this stuff).

LCD vs Plasma is a size issue up to 42 inch LCD is better 42 inch and larger Plasma is better. Again there are huge differences in the quality of LCDs and Plasmas, so it usually pays to spend a little more. Another thing is that both technologies are still being developped so every new generation of screens outperforms the previous one.

Of course I wouldn't buy anything but a true HD TV. If you can't afford it - wait and save some more. True HD TVs must be able to display 1080 lines (which a lot of the "HD Ready" TVs are not capable of doing).

And the technology that could kill all of the above: oled (organic LED) displays! I've seen some prototypes (I have no idea how distant they are from releasing them to production) - and it kicks ass!

Gerryatrics
05-28-2006, 07:05 AM
SED is the future... maybe.

dougp
05-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Don't buy a plasma - they have a horrible shelf life, around 4-6 years ... They also have burn ins, which occur very fast.

If you want a large screen, I'd look into getting a projector and screen, as it will be very hard to beat. There are some great sub $1,000 projectors, and chances are you will replacing the bulb once a year ($200-$400, depending on the model you get.)

ZStomp
05-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Don't buy a plasma - they have a horrible shelf life, around 4-6 years ... They also have burn ins, which occur very fast.

If you want a large screen, I'd look into getting a projector and screen, as it will be very hard to beat. There are some great sub $1,000 projectors, and chances are you will replacing the bulb once a year ($200-$400, depending on the model you get.)

Changing the bulb on a projection??

WHy that often?

Slomo
05-28-2006, 11:43 AM

If you want a large screen, I'd look into getting a projector and screen, as it will be very hard to beat. There are some great sub $1,000 projectors, and chances are you will replacing the bulb once a year ($200-$400, depending on the model you get.)The newest plasmas, have roughly the same life expectancy as the LCD screens. Same thing with burn ins - they happen but they also disappear.

Both problems were quite bad with earlier generations - that's why I said to make sure which technology you are buying, and not to buy cheap.

To put a good projector/screen setup in your living room (not talking about back projection TVs) is a pain in the ass that usually end up costing a lot more than the equipment itself. Secondly if you have a TV/Video room it's not too bad, but in a living room with strong ambient light (windows) there's a lot of problems. As for the bulb change you have to do it at least twice a year - Life expectancy of projectors light are defined as the time they need to lose 50% of their original brightness. At 50% all projectors pretty much suck! Oh, and good luck finding a replacement bulb for your 1000$ projector after six years...

xrayzebra
05-28-2006, 12:00 PM
For a more serious answer.

Back projection TVs are cheaper but most of them have a lower picture quality. If you go for one of these a DLP projector is better (and btw 3 dlp > 2 dlp >1 dlp), also look at the screen itself the picture depends a lot on the quality of the projection screen itself. The one that Kori has is one of the best I've ever seen (and I see a lot of this stuff).

LCD vs Plasma is a size issue up to 42 inch LCD is better 42 inch and larger Plasma is better. Again there are huge differences in the quality of LCDs and Plasmas, so it usually pays to spend a little more. Another thing is that both technologies are still being developped so every new generation of screens outperforms the previous one.

Of course I wouldn't buy anything but a true HD TV. If you can't afford it - wait and save some more. True HD TVs must be able to display 1080 lines (which a lot of the "HD Ready" TVs are not capable of doing).

And the technology that could kill all of the above: oled (organic LED) displays! I've seen some prototypes (I have no idea how distant they are from releasing them to production) - and it kicks ass!

Okay, a question Slomo. I see all these advertisments for x number of
HD stuff. My question. Do you have to buy a tuner seperate from the
display or does it comes like the TV's we now have, tuner/screen all
in on unit. I know some will laugh at this, but even when you
go into stores some of the "salespeople" don't seem to know how to
answer the question. How many system type do they have anyway?
How do you know what questions to ask? I have seen some great
pictures, especially Sony HD sets, that were on display. The clarity of
the picture was something to behold. In regards to the first question
about tuner seperate from display would this be the way to go, or
just buy the unit where you plug it in and hook up a cable and sit
back and relax. I really don't know. And sticker shock.....holy molly....
like taking out a new home mortgage. Next to a house and car it
will be the next most expensive thing you will "invest" in. :lol

J.T.
05-28-2006, 12:05 PM
I have DirecTV and called them to ask some questions.... If I get a HD TV and want to get their HD service- I would have to buy a HD Receiver...for like $400!!!!!!!!

On second thought, maybe I won't get a new TV!! :lol

Call their CS and ask them about the HD upgrade they have. They pulled that crap on me when I bought my HDTV but I told them to screw off and switched to Dish Network. But when I called to cancel they said they have some kind of $50 upgrade for existing customers. I recommend DishNet anyway though, I've had nothing but great service from them and you get can get your HD receiver for free if you open a new account with them.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2006, 12:07 PM
plasmatvbuyingguide.com is a joke, they're a front for a reseller of TVs. Don't even bother reading there.

I've got a Phillips PF9630a 42" plasma, bad ass fucking TV.

Burn in is still out there as a concern for plasmas, but as long as you're smart about your viewing habits (i.e., don't leave it on CNN or MSNBC with their tickers for 6 hours a day) you'll be fine.

If you've got the room to do it, get a DLP projector.

My plasma kicks ass though, it gets oohs and aahs all the time. As for the shelf life, the half life for the brightness of the gases in my TV is 30,000 hours.

That's when the gases will be half as bright as they are now. But as I don't watch with 100% brightness anyway (settings are at about 45), that's not a big concern. Whenever I hit that 30,000 mark, I can just bump the brightness back up to 100 and it will be where it's at today for another 30,000 hours. By then, something better will come along.

For comparison sake, LCD bulbs typically last on the order of 5,000 hours. By the time my TV gets 'half as bright', I would have had to buy 6 new bulbs for an LCD at $300-400 a pop, adding approximately another $2000 to the cost of ownership. No thanks.

The biggest thing is where are you going to put it? I could have gotten the 50" model of mine, but it would have been too big for the living room in my apartment. 42" is perfect, and when I move into a house in a few years it will look great on the bedroom wall.

So get something that isn't too big for whatever room you're putting it in. I'd go projector first, then plasma, then DLP, then LCD.

Gatita
05-28-2006, 12:08 PM
We have a Mitsu 60" HDTV w/ a Bose system for several years now. We haven't had any problems with it and get to enjoy some games on ESPN's HD channel. Over all I would highly recommend it for the price. :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Oh, and stay away from the EDtvs. They are basically 'near HD'. They were cost effective solutions about this time a year ago, but prices have dropped so much due to competition and production capabilities that they're not worth it.

They have the screen door effect going on (where when you get closer than 6-7 feet from the TV it looks like you're watching through a screen door). It looks like ass, basically.

Be sure you get one that has HDMI connections (two should be what you should shoot for), CableCard (basically a card that lets you pull down digital cable, etc., as opposed to having the cable co's, external tuner box), and is HD-ready.

Other than that, the best thing that you can do is go to the stores and look at them with your own eyes. One nugget: get ahold of the remote and change the settings to more of a middle of the road (50% settings on everything). Best Buy, Circuit, etc. all have their TVs set up to torch mode right out of the box so they stand out in the store next to all the other tvs and under the fluorescent lighting.

No one watches TV in torch mode, well I should say no one who wants to make sure they don't have burnin (plasma) or burn out their bulbs in record time (LCD).

ZStomp
05-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks for that info Aggie.

This is not an easy decision as I thought it would be. :lol

Too much info to take in... I'm not sure if I want to buy one now.

Slomo
05-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Okay, a question Slomo. I see all these advertisments for x number of
HD stuff. My question. Do you have to buy a tuner seperate from the
display or does it comes like the TV's we now have, tuner/screen all
in on unit. I know some will laugh at this, but even when you
go into stores some of the "salespeople" don't seem to know how to
answer the question. How many system type do they have anyway?
How do you know what questions to ask? I have seen some great
pictures, especially Sony HD sets, that were on display. The clarity of
the picture was something to behold. In regards to the first question
about tuner seperate from display would this be the way to go, or
just buy the unit where you plug it in and hook up a cable and sit
back and relax. I really don't know. And sticker shock.....holy molly....
like taking out a new home mortgage. Next to a house and car it
will be the next most expensive thing you will "invest" in. :lolI can help with an opinion regarding screens, but not too much about tuners in the US. The situation I deal with on a daily base here in Europe is totally different than what you guys have - so I really don't know what your options are regarding tuners and other sources of TV signals.

jaffies
05-28-2006, 03:51 PM
For comparison sake, LCD bulbs typically last on the order of 5,000 hours. By the time my TV gets 'half as bright', I would have had to buy 6 new bulbs for an LCD at $300-400 a pop, adding approximately another $2000 to the cost of ownership. No thanks.

What?

I think you are refering to projection LCDs, same goes for anything with rear projection. Most projection DLP's or LCD's bulb half-life can range from 1,500 hours (for your low-end brands like AKIA) up to 8,000 hours (for Sony, or LG). Those TV's bulbs do need to be replaced and will cost at the least $200 and can increase to $550.

However...flat panel LCDs have an average lamp life of 60,000 hours. Basically ALL Sharp Aquos flat panel LCDs have a lifespan of 60k, as do the Sony Bravias. Most of the current plasmas have a half-life of 60k also.

But with the rate at which technology is zooming, in 15 - 20 years (60,000 viewing hours), the bigger and badder TV will have been out for a while, so lamp life should not be a deciding factor in plasma vs. lcd, unless you wanna buy a projection lcd to same up-front money.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Basically ALL Sharp Aquos flat panel LCDs have a lifespan of 60k,

Well yeah, the Aquos models are in their own class. I didn't see anywhere the OP was ready to front the kind of jack it takes to buy one of those.

spurs=bling
05-28-2006, 09:07 PM
DLP :tu
this is our TV

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e387/ALL2590/P1000367.jpg

ZStomp
05-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Nice...how many inches is that Blingy?

spurs=bling
05-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Nice...how many inches is that Blingy?

05-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Distance is imporant in choosing the right TV for you. Bigger isn't necessarily better.

HDMI isn't necessarily better than component. You have to use your own eyes to judge which looks better to you in your house.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Um, HDMI is the future. And as a fully digital connection is superior to component.

Why buy a new TV that's already obsolete? Any quality TV that is sold today will have two HDMI connections.

Slydragon
05-29-2006, 01:12 AM
What ever you get make sure it will do true 1080p and not just 1080i

jcrod
05-29-2006, 01:53 AM
I'm with you Z, I was going to buy one and went looking. Just said, F it, I'll wait another yr and get a better understanding. The prices will drop yearly also.

05-29-2006, 02:54 AM
Um, HDMI is the future. And as a fully digital connection is superior to component.

Why buy a new TV that's already obsolete? Any quality TV that is sold today will have two HDMI connections.

HDMI is the future, but that doesn't mean that the PQ will automatically look better if you go HDMI rather than component.

The best advice is try them both and see what looks better to you, in your set-up, with your eyes...

NZHayden
05-29-2006, 04:24 PM
panasonic 22" flat screen, i'm a poor student, my tv sucks, but at least it works, good clear picture, not complaining

T Park
05-30-2006, 12:22 AM
What Blingy has is what I have.

Sports and any show thats in HD, is just plain awesome........

Sony 61 inch, HDTV.

Just awesome.

The soundsystem on it with the big speakers on the side rock also.

spurs=bling
05-30-2006, 12:24 AM
^what my dad has^

Old School Chic
05-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Bump

spurs=bling
05-30-2006, 08:08 PM
its highjacking time!!!!

Old School Chic
05-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks for that info Aggie.

This is not an easy decision as I thought it would be. :lol

Too much info to take in... I'm not sure if I want to buy one now.

Then why open a thread if you are not going to buy one... Chingado :lol

spurs=bling
05-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Then why open a thread if you are not going to buy one... Chingado :lol

hes culo with his money

Silver21_Black20
05-30-2006, 08:09 PM
I want a new tv?

Any suggestions?

:lol

spurs=bling
05-30-2006, 08:10 PM
:rollin

Old School Chic
05-30-2006, 08:13 PM
http://tvindy.typepad.com/tvindy/images/old_tv.jpg

Silver21_Black20
05-30-2006, 08:13 PM
I wonder what kind of television I could buy with my vBookie.

spurs=bling
05-30-2006, 08:14 PM
I wonder what kind of television I could buy with my vBookie.

wanna go 50/50 on a tv with me SB?

Silver21_Black20
05-30-2006, 08:16 PM
wanna go 50/50 on a tv with me SB?

Sure. Would you mind if we keep it at my house? :lol

spurs=bling
05-30-2006, 08:18 PM
no not at all. i only ask for visitation rights on two weekends out of every month and birthdays.

Old School Chic
05-30-2006, 08:18 PM
80's Entertainment Center :lol

http://www.dirtboxradio.com/photos/20040925-HausParty/images/14-old_school_tv.jpg

spurs=bling
05-30-2006, 08:20 PM
oh, so Z only invited you to his house OSC. you should have broken that old piece of crap he calls a TV.

KEDA
05-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Samsung DLP

Sony 3 LCD

JVC HD ILA

LG Plasmas

in that order for me

and a good home theater from JBL

Silver21_Black20
05-30-2006, 08:22 PM
no not at all. i only ask for visitation rights on two weekends out of every month and birthdays.

Uh.....ok...Deal.

Silver21_Black20
05-30-2006, 08:23 PM
I think this thread could be the next Quattro, no?

spurs=bling
05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Uh.....ok...Deal.
deal.
now lets go to the V-electronics store and pick one out

Silver21_Black20
05-30-2006, 08:29 PM
deal.
now lets go to the V-electronics store and pick one out

Ok. Since you are putting in more of your vBookie, you can choose the tv. It just better be badass and better than the one Z would have bought.

Old School Chic
05-30-2006, 08:29 PM
oh, so Z only invited you to his house OSC. you should have broken that old piece of crap he calls a TV.

It really belongs to the Sone :lol

spurs=bling
05-30-2006, 08:30 PM
of course it will be

how does a HDTV, DLP, 60 inch tv sound?

Silver21_Black20
05-30-2006, 08:32 PM
of course it will be

how does a HDTV, DLP, 60 inch tv sound?

*drools* Perfect!!!

Silver21_Black20
05-30-2006, 08:32 PM