PDA

View Full Version : How would have Devin Brown matched up against the Mavs?

CharlieMac
05-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Naturally, I don't believe Devin would have been the answer to not having someone on Dirk or the solution to slowing down the Mavs, but there were definitely lulls in the offense at points. He has had good playoff series in the past, and it seems that he could have been the spark the Spurs needed at points against the Mavs and Kings.

rascal
05-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Devin Brown isn't that good and not any type of difference maker.

Spurologist
05-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Devin would have been more effective in the kings series. Devin on Bonzi. Bowen on Artest. We could have used his agressiveness most of all. No way Bonzi gets all those offensive rebounds with Devin guarding him. He actually wants to rebound. Barry/FIN not so much. That was the whole key against the kings. Rebouding.

CharlieMac
05-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Devin Brown isn't that good and not any type of difference maker.

Fair enough. You don't think he is a better defender than Finley or Barry? How do you think he would have fared against Bonzi considering Bonzi was too big for a couple of our guys to rebound against?

RON ARTEST
05-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Fair enough. You don't think he is a better defender than Finley or Barry? How do you think he would have fared against Bonzi considering Bonzi was too big for a couple of our guys to rebound against?
devin is good and very agressive but bonzi would have still probably killed him also.

Spurologist
05-27-2006, 09:14 PM
devin is good and very agressive but bonzi would have still probably killed him also.

:lol Come on. Devin would have done a 100% better job on defense that FIN/Barry

MannyIsGod
05-28-2006, 01:51 AM
Devin would have been able to participate on the floor and given the Spurs another body during the Dallas series. That in itself would have helped.

Oh, and how the hell do you knock Finley's defense? He played very good d during that series.

Texas_Ranger
05-28-2006, 02:01 AM

Better than Finley. I don`t think so. But better than Barry , Yess

rayray2k8
05-28-2006, 02:01 AM
You would of handed more towels to tim :lol

RON ARTEST
05-28-2006, 02:35 AM
yeah but better job doesnt mean he would actually accomplish anything. if he was owning bowen what the hell do you think he would have done to devin brown? :lol

GoSpurs21
05-28-2006, 04:23 AM
I stated at the beginning of the season that I would prefer Beno and Devin to NVE and Fin. the one fact that no one (in there right mind can dispute) would have slowed down and hand cuffed the Spurs offense the way NVE did this past post season. NVE practically handed the mavs the series. where the fuck are all the NVE supports NOW????? Kori and LJ????

ATX Spur
05-28-2006, 04:26 AM
I don't think he would've seen PT. Maybe cut into NVE's minutes at the backup point.

But certainly not many minutes away from Manu and Bowen, or Finley and Barry for that matter, even though Barry didn't play so hot in limited minutes.

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-28-2006, 04:31 AM
yeah but better job doesnt mean he would actually accomplish anything. if he was owning bowen what the hell do you think he would have done to devin brown? :lol

But in the rebounding department Devin definately wouldve helped. Dude has 20 pounds on Bowen and would have been able to hold his ground a little better than Bruce while battling for the boards.

timvp
05-28-2006, 05:20 AM
Devin would have been a huge help. Last season, Devin defended Dirk a couple of times. And as someone said, Devin is a better rebounder (especially in traffic) than anyone in the small ball lineup outside of Tim Duncan.

It probably didn't cost the Spurs the season but Peter Holt not matching that one-year contract the Jazz gave him was a horrible mistake. For some reason management and Spurs fans thought that the Spurs could waltz to a championship and wouldn't need depth.

:pctoss

ChumpDumper
05-28-2006, 05:22 AM
He would've helped against the Kings.

timvp
05-28-2006, 05:27 AM
Devin OWNED Dirk in the fourth quarter. In the fourth quarter, Brown held Dirk to 0-6 shooting.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6932

That is a post from last season when Devin guarded Dirk as well as I've seen Dirk guarded.

So the Spurs give up a young player who has a history of matching up well with intradivisional opponents because the Jazz offered him a 1-year, $2.5M contract?

Sick.

Nbadan
05-28-2006, 05:28 AM
Depth was a real problem, but so was POP's tenacity for rarely deviating from his game-plan, and I think Avery took advantage of this. When POP decided to go small after the first three games, it was all-small-ball, all the time. Even when the Mav's were short-handed in Game 6 because of the loss of Jason Terry and foul trouble to Dallas's bigs, POP stayed small.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2006, 05:30 AM
No one ever showed me a similar deal being matched for an IR player in the history of restricted free agency.

I'm more pissed that the roster wasn't filled out the whole season.

CharlieMac
05-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think that he wouldn't have seen much playing time this playoff series.

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2006, 11:55 AM
devin wouldve turn the ball over lilke the houston game where twac went 13 in 35secs