PDA

View Full Version : Why are you a Spurs fan?

greens
05-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Hello, guys! I thought it would be a great idea to do a thread on why we are Spurs fans. We can talk about the players' talents on the court, personlity, etc...When did you become a Spurs fan and why?

I'll go first. I became a big fan of the Spurs in 2004-2005 season...When I was a little girl, I was a huge fan of the Chicago Bulls and Michael Jordan. I loved watching basketball, period. Then Michael Jordan and all the other key players retired from the Chicago Bulls. I basically did not have a favorite team. I live in LA, and you'd think that I would be a Lakers or Clippers fan, but I'm not. Those teams do not possess a lot of class and dignity. Lakers had a lot of guys fighting for the spotlight, such as the big fight between Kobe and Shaq, both guys who got paid a lot and it still was not enough for them...They wanted PERSONAL fame, and I could never respect people like that...

So then I started watching the Spurs, and I LOVED what I saw. These guys are truly talented players who ACTUALLY played as a TEAM...rather than a "one-man" show. There were no egos or spotlight fights. What they had was genuine respect and love for each other. I liked that. What else i loved about the Spurs was that how international they were...They had Tony Parker from France, Manu from Argentina, Beno and Rasho from Slovenia, etc...This team was perfectly origninal and unique. It also had a "superstar" in Duncan, who was so selfless and a true leader. After he dunked or made an incredible shot, he never praised himself or looked like he was "all that"...He had no ego or superiority complex. He went out and played his very best. And if one of his teammates scored a point, he would pat them on the head or give them a hug...total support! I saw Manu Ginobili as the most exciting and passionate player that I've ever seen. He was just so entertaining and a true competitor. And most of his plays and shots were phenomenal that everyone took notice of him and could not take their eyes off of him...Then you had Bruce Bowen, who is the BEST defender in the NBA, in my opinion...He was able to guard ANYONE, no matter how tall and how big and how good...He could guard Kobe, Allen Iverson, Ray Allen, Carmelo Anthony, Vince Carter, etc...the list went on. And not only that, he's a great three point shooter. This guy built his career around defense. He perfected his skill...Not only that, he is truly one of the nicest guys...very easy going and approachable...Then you had Tony Parker, who is just as fast as the lightning...He's this young guy who already has accomplished so much. He is just so quick and is not afraid to go against big guys...Then you had Robert Horry, "Big Shot Bobby!"...who is what his nickname is...He has no fear. He will have enough courage to shoot that last pressure shot with so much confidence. This guy is so great with three point shots. I don't know many others who would be willing to shoot that last deciding shot with so much ease. And then you have Pop, who is just an amazing coach...He puts his trust in his guys. Whenever he talks to them, he always has his arm around them showing them support. Just a genuine coach...

So there you have a TEAM, a true team...A group of guys who are all talented in different fields, who are from different countries, who are off different ages, who are of different sizes, and yet they fit together as if they were all pieces of one puzzle...Once they play, they defend with all five guys...

And I would watch them play this game of basketball. They are also so incredible strong, both physically and mentally. They never give up. They fight with everything they have. Even watching this Dallas series right now, we can't deny that Spurs fought like crazy. They went from 3-1 to 3-3...and forced a GAME 7...Even in Game 7, they were down by more than 20 points and they were able to look deep within themselves and find their way back. They were able to even it out...That just shows courage...

They are not only an amazing team, they are amazing people...Even though they lost in this Dallas series, their true characters came out. When Cuban, Avery, etc were all complaining and trash talking, what did Spurs do? NOTHING...they did not talk trash about others. They did not "punch others in the groin"...They did not accuse someone of "bear hug defense"...They did not say "three letter words" to an opposing player...They did not disrespect the town of their opposing team...The Spurs showed "CLASS"...It's so rare these days...

AND most importantly, when Manu made a human error, NO ONE in the Spurs organization blamed him. Pop talked about how important Manu is and how he is the "stud of the world"...Meanwhile, Bruce Bowen said that everyone LOVES Manu and supports him...and that we can all learn from our mistakes and move on...The Spurs are family to each other. And that's what makes them different from everyone else...

And that's why I'm a Spurs fan and will always be a Spurs fan. Whether lose or win, they are the best, in my book.

I H8 Mavs Fans
05-28-2006, 12:39 AM
Cause I fucking hate Mavs fans.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-28-2006, 12:49 AM
I was a big Michael Jordan and Bulls fan growing up too, and living in Canada I was going to be without a favourite team as soon as he retired. Then I saw Duncan play his first playoff game (against Phoenix). I don't know if many people remember that game, but him and Cliff Robinson (of all people) ended up getting into a huge scoring duel in the 4th. I was just amazed by his game, the variety of moves he had even that early in his career was incredible.

Anyway, that summer Jordan did retire, and for whatever reason next season the Spurs were my favourite. I don't even really remember any transition period, all I remember is watching Duncan play once and then next season cheering on the Spurs. I got really lucky too, as the Spurs won the championship that year! :)

davi78239
05-28-2006, 12:53 AM
because I was born here and grew up with the home team

koopa
05-28-2006, 01:02 AM
cause i grew up 2 and a half hours south of SA, and i have family that lives in SA and i visit them for 2 weeks in the summer and 2 weeks for christmas vacation every year so i'm basically a homer

carina_gino20
05-28-2006, 01:34 AM
started during the 2002-2003 postseason. funny thing is, i reallly didn't go all out for them until they played the Mavs. I don't even know why I stuck with them after they lost Game 1 to the Mavs but I did. And that turned out to be a very good decision for me--even now.

it's hard to pick out just one reason to love the team because there are so many. The Spurs are simply the best. :spin

rayray2k8
05-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Aside from this thread being kinda stupid.
I'd say the reason why im a spurs fan, is because
I live in S.A.
The majority of the responses will say the same.

Texas_Ranger
05-28-2006, 01:56 AM
I`m a Spurs fan because they are the best .

Horry For 3!
05-28-2006, 02:04 AM
I have loved the Spurs my whole life. I grew up an hour south of SA and loved basketball, so they were my team.

pussyface
05-28-2006, 02:13 AM
winnepeg spur and texas ranger remind me of my son. He's in 7th grade...2 years ago he was an Illini fan in NCAA and this year he loved the Colts all year.

You guys are a bit of a disgrace...i generally find that loyalty to pro sports franchises should follow some sort of geographic reasoning. Otherwise, lets keep our preferences casual and grow up a bit.

pussyface
05-28-2006, 02:22 AM
"started during the 2002-2003 postseason. funny thing is, i reallly didn't go all out for them until they played the Mavs. I don't even know why I stuck with them after they lost Game 1 to the Mavs but I did. And that turned out to be a very good decision for me--even now."

it's hard to pick out just one reason to love the team because there are so many. The Spurs are simply the best." Carino Gino

Wow, that is an incrediblly harrowing account of dramatic events! Holy shit this is possibly the funniest response I've ever read. This person actually wants to have their loyalty recognized for not bailing on a championship-caliber team (that had already in fact won an NBA title) after they lost one game to an upstart Dallas team in a 7 game series they were overwhelmingly favored to win. Your dedication is paralleled only by those Red Sox Fans who bought season tickets for over 80-years of failure and finally experienced triumph.

That reminds me of the time the Spurs beat the Mavericks in game 1 this year...I thought about converting to Spurs fandom, but ultimately my unyielding sense of conviction and perseverance was rewarded in the series, like Penelope waiting 30 years for her husband to return in "The Oddyssey."

...the Spurs fan mentality is pretty funny...I haven't seen such a sense of entitlement since I attended a private fundraising dinner for Bush in 2002. I know im gonna take a lot of heat on this one, but some of you guys might want to think about taking a step back to stop taking yourselves so seriously.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-28-2006, 02:46 AM
winnepeg spur and texas ranger remind me of my son. He's in 7th grade...2 years ago he was an Illini fan in NCAA and this year he loved the Colts all year.

You guys are a bit of a disgrace...i generally find that loyalty to pro sports franchises should follow some sort of geographic reasoning. Otherwise, lets keep our preferences casual and grow up a bit.
Give me a break. Last time I checked Winnipeg didn't have an NBA team so I began to watch the Spurs cause I loved seeing Duncan play. Then as you watch a team more and more you become familiar with the other players and you start to like them too. Then you get to know the coach, the fans and the organization as a whole, and for the most part I like what I see. Like this makes me some sort of inferior fan because my preferences are based on some factor other than geography...

pussyface
05-28-2006, 02:56 AM
okay buddy...

I am a HUGE Chicago White Sox fan...however, I have never been to the state of Illinois.

I watch them from afar.

I like them.

It is a total coincidence that they just won a world series, despite the fact that I have no tangible connection to the team.

pussyface
05-28-2006, 02:58 AM
Its easy to be a random Spurs fan...you'd have my respect if you lived in Canada and randomly cheered for the Atlanta Hawks.

...but when the times are this good/borderline dominant, i'll relegate you to the same consideration I'll give my son when he tells me he'll be rooting for Duke in hoops next yr.

DubMcDub
05-28-2006, 02:58 AM
If you think you're making some startling revelation that the Spurs have a lot of random fans that are bandwagoners and hopped on solely because the Spurs won 3 titles....you're not exactly presenting any new information.

sabar
05-28-2006, 03:29 AM
Grew up in San Antonio, never deviated from cheering from the Spurs and never will. Sure I would like a title every year, but I'll love the Spurs no matter their record and always will. When our stars are gone and retired and we're not on top, I'll just be waiting for when we get back up there and keep watching them play.

baseline bum
05-28-2006, 03:34 AM
From SA, became a fan in '85.

jaffies
05-28-2006, 03:59 AM
two words: Willie Anderson

greens
05-28-2006, 04:09 AM
Aside from this thread being kinda stupid.
I'd say the reason why im a spurs fan, is because
I live in S.A.
The majority of the responses will say the same.

LOL...okay, so far I've made two threads where one or two posters have insulted them and called them "stupid"...I don't get some of the Spurs fans on this board! You don't like the thread, no one is making you respond to it...

anyway, I think there should be other reasons to loving a team rather than just because you live in the same place. That's like saying you will like any team at all just as long as they are from your city...

I just think that maybe you can check out the players and the organizations and things of that sort before 'loving' a team based on geographical reasons...that's just my opinion, though...SO don't attack me or anything...I'm just stating what I think, you can disagree but there is no reason to insult anyone...

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-28-2006, 04:12 AM
Because I have lived in four different citys and states in my life, and I have never loved anything like I love San Antonio and Texas. The Spurs were just a part of the city I came to love just like our muddy Riverwalk, the amazing high school football games, the marching bands, and Fiesta. Now that I live in Arizona the only one of those I can really keep up with and enjoy live one way or another is the Spurs, and I've never loved them more.

ATX Spur
05-28-2006, 04:17 AM
Its easy to be a random Spurs fan...you'd have my respect if you lived in Canada and randomly cheered for the Atlanta Hawks.

...but when the times are this good/borderline dominant, i'll relegate you to the same consideration I'll give my son when he tells me he'll be rooting for Duke in hoops next yr.

:rolleyes

ATX Spur
05-28-2006, 04:19 AM
Memorial Day Miracle

Slomo
05-28-2006, 04:30 AM
Because I know better! :p

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2006, 04:42 AM
drob
td

tp is last on my list whoever has played for the spurs.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2006, 05:00 AM
I moved to San Antonio.

sanman53
05-28-2006, 06:14 AM
One word:

DAVID ROBINSON

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2006, 07:27 AM
One word:

DAVID ROBINSON
thats two words my friend

kobyz
05-28-2006, 09:14 AM
i'm from israel and i started to be a spurs fan since playoffs 1999 whan i first saw tim duncan, i was 12 years old and i just loved him and the team, and i felt connection with the team, and since i a big fan of the team

SpursWoman
05-28-2006, 09:38 AM

Wow, that was pretty ridiculous. Who are you to judge anyone else's fandom? :lol

SpursWoman
05-28-2006, 09:40 AM
i'm from israel and i started to be a spurs fan since playoffs 1999 whan i first saw tim duncan, i was 12 years old and i just loved him and the team, and i felt connection with the team, and since i a big fan of the team

According to pussyface, you're a bit of a disgrace, too. An East Coast team would make far more geographical sense...because they are closer to you and all. :rolleyes :lol

flipcritic
05-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Two words. Tim Duncan.

I H8 Mavs Fans
05-28-2006, 10:45 AM
this thread is a fine example of mavs fan's dickness.

beachbarbie948
05-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Hm well I've always liked the Spurs since i live in SA, but I was never really a huge fan until 02-03, when I was impressed by Manu and Stephen Jackson

cherylsteele
05-28-2006, 11:14 AM
I moved here with my family in 1980 from a city were there was nearly nothing in the way of professional sport except a minor league basbeball team....Lynchburg, Va.
They would report on the Bullets more than anything.....and wehn they were playing the Spurs in 1979 they referred to them as "that little team from Texas". They were not very kind to them back then due the just fresh ABA/NBA merger. The Spurs were thought as inferior.

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2006, 11:50 AM
I don't think there's much doubt that the Spurs' recent successes have brought a number of bandwagon fans, just as there were a ridiculous number of Bulls' fans in the 90's and just as everyone seemed to be either a Celtics or Lakers fan in the 80's. Success brings interest from odd corners; Mavs fans, above all else, should know that -- until 2001, most of the Metroplex seemed blissfully oblivious to the fact that there was NBA basketball within 100 miles.

The Spurs are the only franchise in the NBA that has consistently been a title contender for the last 15 years or so. It's been a unique time to be a Spurs fan. It will be interesting to see what happens when that status fades, as it inevitably will. I hope that those who've found the Spurs will stick with them through any tough times that may be coming.

I've been a Spurs fan since the late 70's when I would sit in my room at night and listen to Spurs games on the radio. I'll never go anywhere else.

samikeyp
05-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Been a Spurs fan since 1974 and grew up with them. They are my hometown team and will always have my loyalty.

shelshor
05-28-2006, 11:52 AM
I am one of those Texans who love San Antonio, Ft Worth, El Paso and Amarillo; hell, I even like Abilene, Lubbock and Odessa; but hate Houston and Dallas, especially Dallas

Proximity--tho we live in Austin, we always went to SA a good bit, even before the Spurs moved down from Dallas

The Spurs are one of the few NBA entries who still play as a team

I really do, after living in Portland for the birth and nurturing of the JailBlazers, hate to pick up my morning fishwrap and find out that one of the players has been arrested for something else

The Spurs' hearts are pure

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Tim Duncan

alamo50
05-28-2006, 12:15 PM
LOL...okay, so far I've made two threads where one or two posters have insulted them and called them "stupid"...I don't get some of the Spurs fans on this board! You don't like the thread, no one is making you respond to it...

Don't let the few dumbasses in here hold you back from posting more.
The majority of peeps who actualy know what they are talking about got your back greenleo.

I love reading this stuff from fellow Spurs fans.

Oh yeah my answer:

Dream Team '92 --> The Admiral

Oh, Gee!!
05-28-2006, 12:23 PM
same reason most of ya'll are catholics, my parents were

strangeweather
05-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Moved to San Antonio in '87, the year they drafted David.

I lived in Dallas before the Mavs were launched, and Minny before the TWolves, but I'd never lived in a city with an NBA team before, so it seemed like a natural.

Budkin
05-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Followed David Robinson from the moment he came into the league, so I became partial to the Spurs his rookie season, though I lived in Orlando so I was a Magic fan. Then my sister moved to Austin and when I'd come and visit we'd go to some Spurs games at Hemisfair. Eventually I moved to Austin in 1998 and during that 99 title run I fell in love with the team. Been a fan ever since.

BgT
05-28-2006, 02:00 PM
David Robinson.

Old School Chic
05-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Best NBA team of the state of Texas

WalterBenitez
05-28-2006, 02:21 PM
bc Spurstalk.com obvious, what other reason!?

chode_regulator
05-28-2006, 02:25 PM
bc my gay ass roommate always made me watch their games, then i realized the team wasnt all ghetto like the majority of the nba and they actually had class.

Manu20
05-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Tim Duncan.

TimFan
05-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Simple, coz of TD

SsKSpurs21
05-28-2006, 02:59 PM
i used to watch alot of basketball, mostly the bulls like every other kid in the early 80's and 90s. in 1991, my dad go tickets to a spurs game and i met a gentle giant named David Robinson who was signing autographs.

I remember when playoff games were on pay-per-view and we had to listen to games on the radio. :madrun

I remember those late night playoff games i couldnt listen to or watch because i had middle school the next day, so me and my brother (who was in 4th or 5th grade at the time) would pretend we were sleeping and wake up to listen to the end of the games.

I remember waking up some mornings before school, turning on the news instead of morning cartoons, and watching the spurs get eliminated by the utah jazz year after year. then crying on the way to the bus stop because i DISPISED the utah jazz! those were tough times. :depressed

i remember when david robinson and sean elliot were injured and our best player was and over-the-hill dominique wilkins! winning only 20 games thinking how in the world will we ever become an elite team. then in 1997 we landing a guy named Tim Duncan. I remember some folks (local tv and radio personel) were skeptical and wanted keith van horn. hahaha funny how that turned out.

I remember being down the entire game then watching sean elliot tiptoe the sideline and hit the three to win the game. then having avery johnson hit the game winner in game 5 to win our first championship. i remember my uncle dropping me and my little cousin off at the airport when the spurs came back from new york.

I remember the laker massacres in 01, and 02.

I remember 2 hours before game 6 of the 2003 nba finals my friend called me from corpus and said he was on the way to san antonio and had an extra ticket do i want it, I told him, "what kind of retarded question is that?" lol

I remember stephen jackson hit a three, then another, then ANOTHER!

i remember watching the man that turned me into a spurs fan, retire in a blaze of glory.

my memories of being a spurs fan, i wouldnt trade for anything in the world.

GO SPURS GO!

Cherry
05-28-2006, 03:08 PM
I started to be a spurs fan since that 57° funny draftpick in 1999 :makeout

polandprzem
05-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Why am I a spurs fan?

Because I like a lot of pain

makedamnsure
05-28-2006, 08:51 PM
I was born in the great city of San Antonio (so I gotta support the hometown team).

My uncle also loved the Spurs and got me a little cheerleader outfit when I was about 1. Been a fan since. I wouldn't trade the memories I've had supporting the team for nothing.

I am very proud to say I was a fan before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon :)

SpursWoman
05-28-2006, 08:53 PM
same reason most of ya'll are catholics, my parents were

:tu

Also, as an added bonus, my brother and I figured out at a very young age if we watched the Spurs & the Cowboys with my dad he let us drink beer. :drunk :lol

spurschick
05-28-2006, 08:57 PM
With the first pick in the 1997 NBA Draft, the San Antonio Spurs select.....Tim Duncan from the University of Wake Forest.

I started watching the Spurs when I moved here in 1991, but the moment above was also when I started paying closer attention and became a big fan.

ShoogarBear
05-28-2006, 09:02 PM
My family moved to San Antonio from Chicago in July of 1973. At the time I was a Knick and Virginia Squire fan, but I figured my days of watching any pro games live were over.

About a month later the Spurs moved down from Dallas. I was still a Squire fan for a while, but then mid-year their cheap-ass owner sold Gervin to the Spurs.

ZStomp
05-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Because of one reason:

http://www.tothenextlevel.org/images/layout/misc/thumbs/robinson_david_224.jpg

ZStomp
05-28-2006, 09:33 PM
With the first pick in the 1997 NBA Draft, the San Antonio Spurs select.....Tim Duncan from the Univeristy of Wake Forest.

I thought it was Wake Forest University???

samikeyp
05-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Also, as an added bonus, my brother and I figured out at a very young age if we watched the Spurs & the Cowboys with my dad he let us drink beer.

God Bless Texas. :)

Old School Chic
05-28-2006, 10:41 PM
My family moved to San Antonio from Chicago in July of 1973. At the time I was a Knick and Virginia Squire fan, but I figured my days of watching any pro games live were over.

About a month later the Spurs moved down from Dallas. I was still a Squire fan for a while, but then mid-year their cheap-ass owner sold Gervin to the Spurs.

Best move ever made :tu I love my SPURS <3

spurs=bling
05-28-2006, 10:44 PM
I thought it was Wake Forest University???
i'm pretty sure he is sorry Teacher Luis.

Spurologist
05-28-2006, 10:44 PM
I am a spurs fan because my friend Peter Holt has agreed to pay for mtv to bring back Celebrity Death Match so there can be a match between.....

Mark Cuban vs. Gorillas

The result can be Rapturing.

spurs=bling
05-28-2006, 10:45 PM
I am a spurs fan because my friend Peter Holt has agreed to pay for mtv to bring back Celebrity Death Match so there can be a match between.....

Mark Cuban vs. Gorillas

:lol

DirkAB
05-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Now that they lost I'm not a Spurs fan anymore! Fuck 'em if they can't keep on winning then it looks like it's time for me to find another team! Who is the odds on favorites to win this thing now? Well, I'll wait and see who wins between the Heat and the Pistons and that will be my new favorite team. :tu

MissAllThat
05-28-2006, 11:20 PM

Mark Cuban vs. Gorillas

For some reason I'm starting to think your title needs to be changed to incorporate this cuban being raped by gorilla thing. Oh, and please send your ideas in to MTV, ESPN, and the NBA so that maybe they can make it happen...On second thought, Cuban might enjoy it too much, nevermind.

charmie21
05-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Timothy Theodore Duncan

Old School Chic
05-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Timothy Theodore Duncan

Wow! Middle name and all... :spin

Spurologist
05-28-2006, 11:34 PM
For some reason I'm starting to think your title needs to be changed to incorporate this cuban being raped by gorilla thing. Oh, and please send your ideas in to MTV, ESPN, and the NBA so that maybe they can make it happen...On second thought, Cuban might enjoy it too much, nevermind.

I will always be a Spurologist. I appreciate your input. My thought all come from my School of Spurology. Mark Cuban vs. Gorillas comes directly from Spurology. I have sent many messages to NBA, MTV, ESPN, NBA regarding this issue. They are still scraping through those message. Did you know the word scraping like rapturing has the word.....nevermind.

spurs=bling
05-28-2006, 11:34 PM
^ lol

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:20 AM
Born in SA and my first basketball event was at Hemisfair arena with Captain Lake, Ice and Silas.

Even when this team sucked, I liked how they did play really hard. Heck i even got over Rod Stricklands dumb pass to Sean; who wasn't going to the corner in the first place!!

Probably the best was hanging out with Willie Anderson when he had the Avalon night club. COULD ALWAYS GET IN FOR FREE!! lol

Now it's all about watching the team come out of the toilet and into the penthouse under Pop. I've seen a lot of history and can't waif for more to follow...GO SPURS GO!!

Mavschick
05-29-2006, 01:38 AM
The Mavs are my fav team (Mr. Psycho-owner notwithstanding), but the Spurs are a close 2nd because they are a first-class organization with the classiest and best player in the NBA in Tim Duncan (yes I'd take him over Dirk because like Dirk, TD can score but unlike Dirk he can also defend anyone), a fantastic and classy coach in Pop, an extremely talented and classy PG in TP, a fiery and classy SG in Manu, etc. In other words, the Spurs are total class and the organization as a whole is a model for all other NBA teams to emulate.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:40 AM
^^^^^^^
Give Mavschick Honorary Spurs Fan Status!!

Spurs#20
05-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Manu Ginobili

carina_gino20
05-29-2006, 06:11 AM
"started during the 2002-2003 postseason. funny thing is, i reallly didn't go all out for them until they played the Mavs. I don't even know why I stuck with them after they lost Game 1 to the Mavs but I did. And that turned out to be a very good decision for me--even now."

it's hard to pick out just one reason to love the team because there are so many. The Spurs are simply the best." Carino Gino

Wow, that is an incrediblly harrowing account of dramatic events! Holy shit this is possibly the funniest response I've ever read. This person actually wants to have their loyalty recognized for not bailing on a championship-caliber team (that had already in fact won an NBA title) after they lost one game to an upstart Dallas team in a 7 game series they were overwhelmingly favored to win. Your dedication is paralleled only by those Red Sox Fans who bought season tickets for over 80-years of failure and finally experienced triumph.

That reminds me of the time the Spurs beat the Mavericks in game 1 this year...I thought about converting to Spurs fandom, but ultimately my unyielding sense of conviction and perseverance was rewarded in the series, like Penelope waiting 30 years for her husband to return in "The Oddyssey."

...the Spurs fan mentality is pretty funny...I haven't seen such a sense of entitlement since I attended a private fundraising dinner for Bush in 2002. I know im gonna take a lot of heat on this one, but some of you guys might want to think about taking a step back to stop taking yourselves so seriously.

what is wrong with you? somebody asked a question and I gave mine. FYI, I consider myself lucky for choosing the Spurs. Call me a bandwagon fan if you will, I don't care. But since then, I've had nothing but love and respect for this team so I don't have to put up with a stupid idiot with the fitting name of pussy face.

SpurYank
05-29-2006, 09:35 AM
I was in the Air Force there in SA in 1972 when Dallas kicked the Chaparrals out of the city and Red McCombs and others brought them to SA as the Spurs. They had a # 1 guard who was known as Captain Late for his last second heroics (James Silas). The radio game announcer was a very poetic person with no vocal pauses who described the games like no one had nor has since he left the Spurs. His name is Terry Stembridge. When the Ice Man arrived on the scene, I was sold forever.

Thirty four years later, I still live and die with them, albeit from afar.

Dingle Barry
05-29-2006, 11:22 AM
I am shocked to see so many allegiances based on a single player. I really thought that only applied to the Kobes, Lebrons, and Jordans of the world.

As for me, I grew up in the SATX and I can't imagine not living for Spurs basketball every year.

RoyerReptiles
05-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Being from San Antonio, I guess I would say that I was a product of my environment. Always went for the home team. I was in middle school during DRobs rookie year, and the next year they came out with the Hoops basketball card team sheet of all the spurs. It was either HEB or Churches chicken. Anyway, with David arriving and Spurs fever rampant, it was hard not to be a fan.

But going through all those years, David's best years, watching the Spurs come up short time and time again in the playoffs was so damn hard to do. The organization just couldn't surround him with the right players AND the right coach. We had the team in 95, just not the right coach.

I know there are some older fans here that remember those days. But to all you fans that have jumped in only recently, do yourself a favor, and go find as many old DRob highlights as you can. He was one of the greatest centers in the history of the game, and probably the most athletic.....Truly a joy to watch.

ShoogarBear
05-29-2006, 12:09 PM
The radio game announcer was a very poetic person with no vocal pauses who described the games like no one had nor has since he left the Spurs. His name is Terry Stembridge. When the Ice Man arrived on the scene, I was sold forever.

Thirty four years later, I still live and die with them, albeit from afar.
Terry Stembridge was absolutely the best play-by-play announcer I've ever heard. That includes Chick Hearn, Bill King, whoever else you want to name. (Just don't name Johnny Most, he was an absolute joke of an announcer. Stembridge and Most almost got into an actual on-air fight.) And that's not being homeristic.

Too bad Stembridge retired early or he would have been a lock for the Hall of Fame.

There will be another night.

SequSpur
05-29-2006, 12:11 PM
What else is there in San Antonio besides Tacos?

ShoogarBear
05-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Bowling?

SequSpur
05-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Bowling?

Oh yeah and bowling.

cherylsteele
05-29-2006, 07:10 PM
I can remember in the early 80's on KTSA....when they played music....everytime the spurs won, they would play the Cotton-Eyed Joe around 7:30am.

E20
05-29-2006, 07:16 PM
When I was 7, I liked Hakeem and Clydes Rockets, the one series 95-96 against Utah in the WCF broke my heart, I'm pretty sure if Rockets played the Bulls they would have won. After they traded Hakeem to the f'ing Raptors, I lost all respect for the Rockets. So, then I randomly watched some basketball and I saw these two guys named Tim Duncan and David Robinson play, I'm like these guys are legit and play well and it was all topped it off for me when I saw a shaving commerical with the two and how the posies were out of bounds or was it the gnomes? I was like 8 or 9 at the time and that's what interested me the best.

SilverSpur
05-29-2006, 10:32 PM
I became a Spurs fan because of David Robinson back in 1987. I rember the Spurs winning the right to pick David. I had just watched him in the NCAA tournament playing for Navy when every was talking about him that year.
I had just noticed a team with some funny looking outdated uniforms, and a player named Alvin Robertson, who I thought was pretty good.
I used to keep up with college players and I rember player like Walter Berry and Johnny Dawkins ending up in San Antonio. So I looked into their history and found out about George Gervin and Artis Gilmore.
Then there was a bit of controversy in 1987 and if San Antonio should pick David Robinson and have to wait two years before he could play for them. This brought my attention back to the team. San Antonio ended up picking David and had a second first round pick for which they used on another center by the name of Cadillac Anderson.
When Robinson came two San Antonio there was alot going on. David had just join the team, the Spurs selected another pretty good player named Sean Elliot and traded for Terry Cummings. San Antonio also hired Larry Brown as head coach.
So now the Spurs were ready for something new and exciting. The Spurs had the best turn around of any team in NBA history from one year to the next that year and I was hooked.

raspsa
05-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Because of Pop, Drob and TD..

SANANTOJAMES
05-30-2006, 12:15 AM
rockets....no
mavericks.....hell no
SPURS.......YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT

kimberly_spursfan
05-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Hello, guys! I thought it would be a great idea to do a thread on why we are Spurs fans. We can talk about the players' talents on the court, personlity, etc...When did you become a Spurs fan and why?

I'll go first. I became a big fan of the Spurs in 2004-2005 season...When I was a little girl, I was a huge fan of the Chicago Bulls and Michael Jordan. I loved watching basketball, period. Then Michael Jordan and all the other key players retired from the Chicago Bulls. I basically did not have a favorite team. I live in LA, and you'd think that I would be a Lakers or Clippers fan, but I'm not. Those teams do not possess a lot of class and dignity. Lakers had a lot of guys fighting for the spotlight, such as the big fight between Kobe and Shaq, both guys who got paid a lot and it still was not enough for them...They wanted PERSONAL fame, and I could never respect people like that...

So then I started watching the Spurs, and I LOVED what I saw. These guys are truly talented players who ACTUALLY played as a TEAM...rather than a "one-man" show. There were no egos or spotlight fights. What they had was genuine respect and love for each other. I liked that. What else i loved about the Spurs was that how international they were...They had Tony Parker from France, Manu from Argentina, Beno and Rasho from Slovenia, etc...This team was perfectly origninal and unique. It also had a "superstar" in Duncan, who was so selfless and a true leader. After he dunked or made an incredible shot, he never praised himself or looked like he was "all that"...He had no ego or superiority complex. He went out and played his very best. And if one of his teammates scored a point, he would pat them on the head or give them a hug...total support! I saw Manu Ginobili as the most exciting and passionate player that I've ever seen. He was just so entertaining and a true competitor. And most of his plays and shots were phenomenal that everyone took notice of him and could not take their eyes off of him...Then you had Bruce Bowen, who is the BEST defender in the NBA, in my opinion...He was able to guard ANYONE, no matter how tall and how big and how good...He could guard Kobe, Allen Iverson, Ray Allen, Carmelo Anthony, Vince Carter, etc...the list went on. And not only that, he's a great three point shooter. This guy built his career around defense. He perfected his skill...Not only that, he is truly one of the nicest guys...very easy going and approachable...Then you had Tony Parker, who is just as fast as the lightning...He's this young guy who already has accomplished so much. He is just so quick and is not afraid to go against big guys...Then you had Robert Horry, "Big Shot Bobby!"...who is what his nickname is...He has no fear. He will have enough courage to shoot that last pressure shot with so much confidence. This guy is so great with three point shots. I don't know many others who would be willing to shoot that last deciding shot with so much ease. And then you have Pop, who is just an amazing coach...He puts his trust in his guys. Whenever he talks to them, he always has his arm around them showing them support. Just a genuine coach...

So there you have a TEAM, a true team...A group of guys who are all talented in different fields, who are from different countries, who are off different ages, who are of different sizes, and yet they fit together as if they were all pieces of one puzzle...Once they play, they defend with all five guys...

And I would watch them play this game of basketball. They are also so incredible strong, both physically and mentally. They never give up. They fight with everything they have. Even watching this Dallas series right now, we can't deny that Spurs fought like crazy. They went from 3-1 to 3-3...and forced a GAME 7...Even in Game 7, they were down by more than 20 points and they were able to look deep within themselves and find their way back. They were able to even it out...That just shows courage...

They are not only an amazing team, they are amazing people...Even though they lost in this Dallas series, their true characters came out. When Cuban, Avery, etc were all complaining and trash talking, what did Spurs do? NOTHING...they did not talk trash about others. They did not "punch others in the groin"...They did not accuse someone of "bear hug defense"...They did not say "three letter words" to an opposing player...They did not disrespect the town of their opposing team...The Spurs showed "CLASS"...It's so rare these days...

AND most importantly, when Manu made a human error, NO ONE in the Spurs organization blamed him. Pop talked about how important Manu is and how he is the "stud of the world"...Meanwhile, Bruce Bowen said that everyone LOVES Manu and supports him...and that we can all learn from our mistakes and move on...The Spurs are family to each other. And that's what makes them different from everyone else...

And that's why I'm a Spurs fan and will always be a Spurs fan. Whether lose or win, they are the best, in my book.

your right, the spurs show so much class, go to any other team and they are always trash talking, spurs show class and dont do that, i like how they didnt blame manu cz they knew they wouldnt of even been to game 7 without them, they dont blame any one for any loss they have. all around good players and have alot of the best players on that team. they are awesome. i love how they play. comin back in game 7 to lead by 3 after being down 20 is just awesome, they dont give up, they fight for all they got. amazing team.

baseline bum
05-31-2006, 12:09 AM
I have to admit if Tim was drafted by another team they would have instantly became my #2. I was a huge Duncan fan the first time I saw him at Wake, and I would always tune into CBS to see Tim every Saturday (back then Wake Forest was the Lakers of the NCAA). You can imagine how excited I was when we got the #1 pick. I couldn't believe the San Antonio media talking about how the Spurs should trade the pick since we had David. :lol Took the Spurs all of two years to win a title with that combo.

I think the most exciting time in Spurs history as far as I'm concerned was David's rookie year. He made us matter again. I remember being a baseline bum during the Naval commitment, and every day we'd talk about David Robinson and Alvin leading the Spurs to the promised land. I still remember being at his first game, where he dominated the defending Conference-Champion Lakers. It was the first time I'd ever been to a Spurs-Lakers game where the majority of the crowd was cheering for the silver and black.

Spurodamus
05-31-2006, 12:15 AM
http://members.aol.com/blackrose3000/images/negrodamus.jpg

Because you don't have to cheer for a rapist, a bitch or a putz.

J.T.
05-31-2006, 12:22 AM
I moved to San Antonio when I was about 7 years old and like Sequ said, what else is there in SA besides the Spurs? Needless to say it's been one hell of a roller coaster ride, and I don't think I would trade being a Spurs fan for anything. Losing sucks but it only makes winning feel that much better. The Spurs are as much a part of my life as school, work and family. When Duncan and Co. depart in the distant future after bringing the franchise 3+ championships, I'll just look back and smile and look forward to the time when the Spurs can reboot the franchise and do it all again.

Darrin
05-31-2006, 12:28 AM
David Robinson and the Spurs' style of play.

degenerate_gambler
05-31-2006, 08:58 AM
I became a Spurs fan way, way, fucking way back in the day. Actually it was the very first season they moved here from Dallas in the old ABA. I was in the 4th grade and two friends of mine, their father worked for SAPD and it was through him that we got "hired" to be ballboys for the Spurs. None of us were really sure what we were doing but we had so much fun. We got hazed, towel snapped, taped, you name it by the players...but it was like a dream come true for a kid to be able to be around those guys and interract with them. I was lucky enough to be able to do that job for 7 years and make a ton of memories and have some great stories.

I've lived and breathed Spurs basketball ever since and that's why the '99 Championship was their top moment for me.

bpergrem3
05-31-2006, 09:36 AM
Artis Gilmore :fro

Bartzini
05-31-2006, 12:57 PM
I like the Spurs because they are one of the few teams who get it done without all the hollywood drama, and flashy stars.

They seem like a humble, and genuinely good hearted group of individuals, that stay true to themselves despite having millions of dollars and world reknown fame.

They really make the fans feel like it is their team. Ive always liked that about the Spurs.

I think a lot of the fanatical love for the team comes from always being the underdog, and the team that gets written off. Makes people hunker down and rally round the troops. Thus leading to extremely loyal fans (for those of us that were around when the spurs seem'd to get no respect throughout the league and media.)

1Parker1
05-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Because the Sixers suck :pctoss :lol

LilMissSPURfect
05-31-2006, 03:12 PM
1 word
"LOVE"
for the love of the game!

CosmicCowboy
05-31-2006, 03:26 PM
I got married and had to find something to replace having sex all the time.

Sportcamper
05-31-2006, 03:31 PM
A very truthful answer Cosmic.... :depressed

Jimcs50
05-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Because I used to play for the Spurs.

1Parker1
05-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Because I used to play for the Spurs.

Ah, all those years when they were losing as I recall...

Jimcs50
05-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Ah, all those years when they were losing as I recall...

I'll have you know that our Intramural team, The Spurs won the on campus championship in 1979.

:flipoff

mikejones99
05-31-2006, 06:53 PM
$

tlongII
05-31-2006, 06:59 PM
:vomit:

Bob Lanier
05-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Duncan and defense.

SenorSpur
05-31-2006, 07:05 PM
Been a fan since the team first setup shop in S.A. Back in the days of the Iceman, Captain Late, Rich Jones, Donnie Freeman, Goo Kennedy and George Karl.

As someone already mentioned, the radio broadcasts with Terry Stembridge were legendary. Since there were no televised games back then, his radio call was dramatic, insightful and thrilling. He was the best!

Now I appreciate the championship excellence and culture that has developed since the Robinson/Duncan era.